All member reviews for Nim's Island

Book-based tropical adventure is good family fun.

Kid, 7 years old July 24, 2013

Fun

This movie was very good though it had some scary parts and some violence (the girl gets hurt). Some parts will make you giggle. Everyone lives even though it looks like they'll be hurt. It has a happy ending.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 June 16, 2013

not the best movie...

it was ok
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbe1998 May 11, 2013

Good family movie. Some mild suggestive stuff

A good movie for ages 7+. Violence 2/10: There is hardly any violence at all, and whatever violence there is is extremely mild. There is one scene, however, where the main character, Nim, gets a nasty, bloody scrape on her leg after falling from a rocky mountain. That may scare some kids who are under 7. It's pretty hard to look at to be honest! Language 2/10: I recall hearing only 1 "h" word, and God's name is used in vain a few times. Suggestive stuff 4/10: A large-chested woman is in a bathing suit, showing a lot of cleavage. You may want to cover your kid's eyes on that part because it's pretty distracting. Overalla good movie, but watch out for some stuff.
Adult Written bywonder dove April 3, 2013

Excellent fun for all!

This is a great little flick. Children will love the adventure and animals throughout. Nim is a little girl who has lived on a beautiful tropical island with her dad since she was born. She has animal friends of all species, types and sizes. Her dad is a scientist who has arranged a way to get phone & internet access. When he goes off on a boat trip for a couple of days and leaves Nim alone, a nasty storm approaches and he winds up stuck out in the middle of the ocean. Meanwhile, Nim is worried and believes that the one person who can help her is the one who inspires her most, a writer named Alex Rover (Jodie Foster). When Alex, who has an extreme phobia of the outdoors, receives her message - she is forced to crack out of her shell and begin a journey she is most terrified of - but with the help of her imaginary friend, she eventually gets out there to find Nim. There is plenty of adventure and fantasy going on in this story. The language is not a concern at all. Violence is not bad, mostly frightening sequences like heavy storms, some weapons shown and used in a non-scary way, shark scares but none shown. Great messages throughout of overcoming fears, helping out others and looking out for each other. Nim is a terrific role model! Suited for ages 7 and up.
Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2013

Great Film

really good film, I really enjoyed it, all children 5 and up would enjoy it (I Think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) there were scary parts like sharks (only saw fins) volcano, blood etc but not over exaggerated or too scary, also storms, and main character's dad got lost at sea in a storm with sharks circling (scariest bit).My little sister (5) was fine with it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 17, 2012

nims island

Families can talk about whether this kind of movie is as entertaining as one with lots of special effects and/or animation. Kids: Which kind of adventure do you like better, and why? What makes Nim different from many other kid characters in movies and TV shows? Do you think she's a good role model? What about Alex Rover? What do Alex and Nim learn during the movie? What would you do in Nim's situation? Do you think it was right for her father to leave her alone on the island? Families who've read the book can compare and contrast the two. Which do you like better, and why?
Kid, 11 years old May 2, 2011

good movie

i love the move the bad Language Bloody
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byLeaandMom January 27, 2011

A few tough moments for kids but great role models, especially for girls.

I watched this with three seven-year-olds and they thoroughly enjoyed it. There were definitely moments that were scary for them (the father is lost at sea and battles the elements and his daughter is afraid for him) but, as we watched it at home, they could take a break from the scenes that were a little intense. I liked that the heros were a very self confident young girl and a woman who overcomes her fears to do the right thing.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byDanzaJoy January 19, 2011

Our 6 year old loved it, but know your kids and the content

It's hard to find a movie that is both interesting to the kids and the adults in our home. This one was great. I try to avoid good vs. evil and prefer more complex characters, but the stereotyping of tourists/tour operators was a relatively brief experience less memorable than the girl and the woman overcoming fears and rising to a challenge. Free Range Kid advocates will love Nim and her father!
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 16, 2011
i loved the movie. i thought it was really good. its not scary.
Kid, 10 years old December 19, 2010

Loved it

Kid, 8 years old August 21, 2010

BOO!!!

All I have to say, saddest, scariest movie ever (Mom and all that blood)
Kid, 11 years old April 13, 2010

Hmmmmmmm, I....dont know what to say....it wasnt very good...

I think the plot was boring. I think under 8 year old kids might get bored. I got bored and I'm 11. Not really recomended.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bytd25 January 4, 2010

Great Movie

I've seen where a few people have said that this was too scary for younger kids. I guess you just have to know your kids. My daughter watched this for the first time when she was 4 & loved it. She is 5 now & watched it right before bed last night & was fine. It's one of her favorite movies.
Kid, 12 years old November 30, 2009

good for all ages

i like this movie beacase it teachs u good lesson
Adult Written byTheTalker October 3, 2009

For Kids But Not For Me.

The kids I went with LOVED this movie, but I thought it was boring. I think other people should watching this movie with there kids some time they would really like it of they like animals. I'm just the kind of person who likes more action, fighting, ect.
Educator and Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byDtownmom March 8, 2009

Great Family Movie

We all loved this movie. My 7yo's are easily scared by intense scenes in movies. The scenes with the father at sea might have been frightening if they had seen them on the big screen (we watched on DVD). Also, knowing about those scenes ahead of time and knowing the father was going to be alright in the end really helped. Thanks to Common Sense Media, we were able to prepare them and we all got to enjoy a great family movie!
Adult Written bygarageflix November 12, 2008

Great adventure, great fun!

This is a fun movie for the whole family. I don't find anything objectionable in the movie. Some say that there are some risque bikini shots on the beach, but no more than one would find at any city pool in America.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

not bad

Nim's Island was a pretty good good movie, i would say 6+, barely anything bad in it. If you like adventure movies, then you should see it.