All member reviews for Nim's Island

Book-based tropical adventure is good family fun.

Adult Written byaimlyss April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written bybloodstained_te... April 9, 2008

IDC

It's ok I guess but kinda boring and cheesy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlexRover April 9, 2008

Adult Written byleahy66 April 9, 2008

Action-Adventure for kids

It was great to watch a movie-with my 10 year old and have fun-and be thrilled by the action!
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Wow

The part when Nim busted her leg was gross. There was no language. I loved the movie Wow Wee!!!
Kid, 7 years old April 9, 2008

it was pretty good.okay

Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 June 16, 2013

not the best movie...

it was ok
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbe1998 May 11, 2013

Good family movie. Some mild suggestive stuff

A good movie for ages 7+. Violence 2/10: There is hardly any violence at all, and whatever violence there is is extremely mild. There is one scene, however, where the main character, Nim, gets a nasty, bloody scrape on her leg after falling from a rocky mountain. That may scare some kids who are under 7. It's pretty hard to look at to be honest! Language 2/10: I recall hearing only 1 "h" word, and God's name is used in vain a few times. Suggestive stuff 4/10: A large-chested woman is in a bathing suit, showing a lot of cleavage. You may want to cover your kid's eyes on that part because it's pretty distracting. Overalla good movie, but watch out for some stuff.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bystevenlael April 9, 2008

Good movie, horrible music direction

Overall, the movie is pretty entertaining and fun, and provides a good role model for young girls. The music, however, is overly dramatic and inappropriate at times. During a scene in which Nim is catapaulting lizards onto cruiseship tourists to scare them off her island (sounds like a comical scene, right?), my daughter had to leave the theater for a minute because the music was "scary and sad". Even the two potentially scary storm scenes are made much worse by very loud and frightening background music. If your kids are under 8 years old, I'd recommend waiting for the DVD so you can turn down the volume during these scenes.
Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2015

Nim's Island: What Parents Should Know

This movie contains a girl and her father living on a deserted island. Nim's father leaves and Nim is alone during a hurricane which might scare kids. Nim's father is also suffering alone at sea. Be awear at one point, Nim takes a fall and gets a gross bloody cut on her knee. Later a disterbed OCD crazy lady comes to save her. When Nim thinks all is lost she eventually realizes the true meaning of family. Also, cute animals :)
Kid, 11 years old January 15, 2015

fun and energetic storyline yet strong language

a great family movie with some very clear and heavy cleavage and some strong language like shut up, freakin and more.
Kid, 12 years old June 29, 2014

It's good. Some action and intense scenes.
Parent Written byPhil4vs8Mom February 27, 2014

Fantasy Island for kids with a few anxious moments

The idea of Nim living on her own private island with all kinds of interesting animals and fighting off bad guys on her own was appealing to my kids. However, my 7 year-old was concerned that Nim's father wouldn't return, and my husband couldn't understand how he could leave Nim alone on the island, especially after her mother had apparently been lost at sea! The animated sequence about Nim's mother being swallowed by a whale was a bit disturbing,too. I love Jodi Foster and, although my kids didn't understand all the references to her character's mental issues, they did get that she was "crazy" and had to overcome her fears to help Nim. The movie's happy ending seemed to make up for the anxious moments, its (almost) total lack of bad language was refreshing, and overall we enjoyed it a great deal.
Kid, 9 years old January 2, 2014

Great Film!

Nim's Island is a great movie for kids five and up. Sensitive kids may be scared by a very intense scene were Nim falls off a volcano and gets a bloody cut on her knee.But otherwise it is a great film with very funny scenes with Jody Foster.
Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2013

Great Film

really good film, I really enjoyed it, all children 5 and up would enjoy it (I Think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) there were scary parts like sharks (only saw fins) volcano, blood etc but not over exaggerated or too scary, also storms, and main character's dad got lost at sea in a storm with sharks circling (scariest bit).My little sister (5) was fine with it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 17, 2012

nims island

Families can talk about whether this kind of movie is as entertaining as one with lots of special effects and/or animation. Kids: Which kind of adventure do you like better, and why? What makes Nim different from many other kid characters in movies and TV shows? Do you think she's a good role model? What about Alex Rover? What do Alex and Nim learn during the movie? What would you do in Nim's situation? Do you think it was right for her father to leave her alone on the island? Families who've read the book can compare and contrast the two. Which do you like better, and why?
Adult Written byhomeschool mom April 9, 2008

Great movie

This movie was quite entertaining. It is a good family movie. My 14 yo daughter and her friend loved it. Jodie Foster's roll of the OCD, agoraphobic is quite hilarious. I'm not fond of spiders, so the spider scene was quite creepy, but in no way scary. Also, there is one scene where Nim falls and cuts her leg. It is a little bloody, but very brief.
Adult Written byrsb99 April 9, 2008

Not for the youngest kids

7+ is an appropriate age rating. I took a chance and took my 5-year-old, because she was so interested in the story. But this is an adventure story, and she was not ready to see her favorite characters in danger. There is nothing unsuitable in terms of language or adult activity. But your child must be mature enough to enjoy the excitement rather than be fearful.
Adult Written byspongebobrocks22 April 9, 2008

good kids movie,even if its predictible

nice movie that i thought was gonna suck
Adult Written bykatbetty April 9, 2008

Movie not as fun and lighthearted as the commercial for it promises

There have been commercials for this film all over the channels my 7-year-old daughter watches, so she was psyched for it. The movie was very intense and scary for her at times, and I was surprised at how nervous I felt through the whole film. It makes me angry how the media markets these films that are not appropriate for young children in a way that makes the film appealing to this group. My daughter stated when we left the movie that she wished she hadn't seen it. With the amount of action and peril in this movie, I'd say it's better off for the 10 or 11 and over crowd.