Dark biblical tale is brutal, violent, gory.

Parent of a 8, 9, and 14 year old Written byRickNJess April 6, 2014

Not From God

Firstly, I have no idea how this movie isn't rated R. I normally never complain about a rating, but this movie has some has some really intense violence, similar to something graphic like Saving Private Ryan, but they're using knives and spears instead of guns on tanks. There is one part where the "evil" people tear apart an animal w/ their bare hands and eat it. It happens so fast that there are animal parts flying and blood splattering. How did they get away with a PG-13 rating? I'm not sure. This is far from the type of violence that we might see in Avengers. It should be noted that any time you ask yourself, "is this from God?" and the answer is still a question, we can be assured it's from the Satan. I watched the entire movie very intently to answer that question that I should have already known. At the end of the film, Noah wraps the snake skin that Satan shed right before he tempted eve around his arm to bless his new born grandchildren. I'm not kidding. Are we supposed to be alright with that? Nothing in this movie is biblical at all, except the parts all of us already know from children's bibles. Although, almost all of that story was changed. I guess I should have known when I saw the poster that the axe isn't for chopping wood, is it? Satan's plan here is not only to make Noah, the prophet, seem more mythological and crazy than ever before, but he also wants use to doubt God and his very existence. I'm sure you know how that saying goes. I would not recommend this movie to anyone.
Adult Written bydbphunter April 5, 2014

terrible movie

Noah never talks to God. He thinks the "creator" wants the entire population to die, including him and his family. He then attempts to kill his newborn twin granddaughters. He tells his whole family that God wants them to die. He is made out to be an callous evil man. It was extremely disturbing. I am extremely saddened to know that Hollywood made this man out to be a religious zealot willing to kill his own family to do the "creator's will". I wish I had listened to the people who said not to watch it. It would have been a much better, more uplifting movie, if Noah had been portrayed as a caring man like in the Bible.
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 1, 2014

Hollywood could've done better.

As a Christian, I was actually kinda hyped to see this movie. But after it, I was a little disappointed. Reasons are is that there are quite a few inaccuracies of the story of Noah. First off, the angels that came down from heaven to turn themselves into men didn't turn into giant "rock" creatures! Second, Noah did not try to kill his son's children. Also, 8 people were on the ark; in this movie there were like 6 or 7. Although I do admit that the special effects and battle scenes were impressive, I am not really that impressed with this movie. If you want to know the real story of Noah, read the Bible!
Kid, 11 years old August 2, 2014

Noooooooooooooooooo.......Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

first of all,only the first 30 seconds of the movie seemed a bit normal until... the watchers just had to com into play. who had the stupid idea that even though even unsaved people know how the story of Noah goes Russel crow just had to make there be rock transformers, dogs with scales, jeans, boots, and coats B.C. i didn't even get one bit how some guy GOT into the Ark with a tiny blunt old lame ax's. when Ham found someone to get married to, she got caught in a bear trap and Noah, this big strong man could of broke it open and saved her life... but no, he picked Ham up and let her get trampled on by a huge army to her death. this message goes out to all the Christians in the world, and mark my words DO NOT WATCH NOAH...
Parent Written byImjustsaying April 1, 2014

Good movie, very exciting.

I liked the movie and I teach bible study. It was exciting, fantasy, great CGI, good story, some biblical truths but over all it was a good movie.The one thing I found to be a little shocking was the older son and his wife wanting to have sex a lot. They didn't show anything but them undressing from the shoulder up.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byMattmchugh August 6, 2014

Violent and deviates from Biblical story, but still compelling

God decides to destroy the world with a flood and tells a guy named Noah to build a boat to save the animals. That's pretty all much this film has in common with the Bible. It takes the basic idea then goes on its own journey. If that bothers you, skip this movie. If you can deal with that, there's a lot to like in "Noah." It's not for kids, though. Teens and up should be fine, provided they can deal with the violence. There's plenty of bloody fighting and death -- not to mention the mass drowning -- but it's all purposeful rather than gratuitous. Each death is sad and people suffer. I don't mind violence in films when the consequences are realistically portrayed, and that's mostly true in this movie. What's interesting -- and different from the Bible -- about "Noah" is the moral uncertainty. Noah has no doubt "The Creator" (the term "God" is never used) has given him a task, but he is sometimes unsure what that means. He struggles to follow what he believes is God's will, even when it goes against his conscience. That struggle makes "Noah" fascinating -- and possibly heretical, if you're Bible-thumper. If you can take "Noah" at face value, it's a rousing fantasy-epic, loosely inspired by the Bible, with a morally complex core. If you're a Biblical literalist, you'll have a hard time accepting the liberties it takes. -- mm
Kid, 12 years old April 14, 2014

HOW IS THIS 12A?! (Contains spoilers)

I saw this movie because it's rated 12A, and then I thought it wouldn't be so bad. It had many of my favorite actors, so I thought "why not see it?". This movie wasn't bad, but there was a lot of violence. Including animals and innocent people. There was one scene (you were warned of the spoilers) where the young girl and the Percy Jackson guy were running for their lives and she stepped in an animal trap and got stuck and the warriors ran over her. THIS WAS EXTREMELY DISTURBING AND EMOTIONAL. And also where Noah had to kill Ila's daughters. I kept hoping and hoping (while she was pregnant and it was unknown whether she was having a boy or a girl) that it would be a boy. (spoilers over) I can't be the only one who cried and Even though I'm allowed to see this movie by the law of my country, I still just HAD to close my eyes in some scenes.
Educator and Parent Written byMovie Review Maven June 1, 2014

Extremely disappointing retelling of Biblical story

Movie Title: Noah PG-13, 2 hours 19 minutes Grade: D - for Don't waste your hard-earned money on this piece of garbage In a Nutshell: Oh, Hollywood. Why? Has anyone in Hollywood actually read the Bible ? You have the ability to make movie magic, but you really messed up this one. Who knew there were rock people/Transformers in the Noah story? I guess I missed that part when I read the scriptures. Movie critics are singing praises for this film for being an epic and fresh take on an old tale, but the rest of us, especially those who actually know the story, are seriously disappointed and even a bit alarmed. At one point during the movie, I leaned over to my husband and said “I really hate this movie.” In fact, it made me angry. Hopeful Christians and Jews are flocking to the theater, only to be shocked at the bizarre depiction of Noah as an environmentalist whose sole purpose was to protect “the innocents” (animals) so that God could have justice by destroying man and the wicked world. The trailer for this unbiblical fantasy film looked so promising and certainly didn’t reveal the strange elements that are making movie-goers shake their heads in frustration. The recent release of Son of God makes the religious community that eagerly wants to support “good” films declare “two strikes in a row.” In a recent interview, writer/director Darren Aronofsky was accused of taking some liberties with the story. Self-proclaimed atheist, Aronofsky, responded “You cast Russell Crowe as Noah and you’re taking some liberties!” But it goes much deeper than actor choice. Aronofsky completely changed the story. By the way, Aronofsky is the director of the award-winning Black Swan which earned over $300 million. His creative interpretation of the Bible story comes out of innovative art, not faith. Oh yeah, and clever marketing to make more millions. Uplifting theme: The Creator is a god of mercy, not justice alone. Things I liked: I thought the touching scene where Noah assures Ila (the lovely Emma Watson) that she belonged in their family was really sweet. He said to her “Please don’t forget you’re a precious, precious girl.” Of course, later he wanted to kill her and her babies…Noah is portrayed as a lunatic, crazed on bringing God’s justice to the world and to his family, something I definitely did not like. I have a much different view of what a prophet of God acts like. Rage, violence, short-sightedness, drunkedness, and murderer are not included in the list of qualities I expect from one who walks with God. Who doesn’t adore Anthony Hopkins? The audience giggled every time he talked about his craving for berries. His supernatural ability to touch Shem’s forward and make him instantly fall asleep was odd, as well as a skill I wish I had when my children were younger. The film was made in Iceland and New York with beautiful vistas. I thought the glowing strip of fabric that each prophet wrapped around his arm and passed down to his son was interesting because it looked like a snake skin, providing a reminder of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and a constant reminder to obey the commandments of God. I liked it when the first water drop fell from the sky on to Noah’s blue/green eye, making it look like a flood around the planet earth. The rainbow at the very end was very subtle, but a gentle reminder that God will never flood the earth again. I liked the interesting animal that gets killed by Cain’s descendants at the beginning of the movie. Apparently, that creature’s kind never made it on to the ark. (wink) The Bible doesn’t tell us much about Noah’s wife, but can you imagine how much manure she must have shoveled? She had to have been an extremely hard worker, supportive wife, and loving mother to put up with everything they must have gone through during their epic trek. Jennifer Connelly does a terrific job and is a mother of three sons in real life. I thought it was funny that we don’t know her name, so the writer’s named her “Naameh” (pronounced Nawmay)…kinda looks like the word “name”, right? Lame. Things I didn’t like: Soooo many things were not scripturally correct. I started making a list of all of the inaccuracies, but finally gave up because the list was too long. If you’d like to find out what really happened in the story, you can start by reading Genesis chapters 6 to 9. Of course, we don’t have a lot of the details, so some of the ideas that were included in the movie are thought-provoking. For example, how do you keep that many animals from eating each other for over a year in tight quarters? I liked their idea of creating some kind of incense that would put the creatures into a form of hibernation. And no, Samuel L. Jackson doesn’t appear and say he’s @#$! sick and tired of all the snakes on the $#!#$! ark. Ha ha Noah was quick to recognize dreams and miracles from God in the beginning, yet couldn’t see the tender mercies of God during the remainder of the movie. Lame again. Naameh asks Noah “Did God speak to you?” and he answers “I think so.” I envision prophets having a much closer relationship with God than the kind depicted in this film where Emo-Noah is so uncertain and seems to stumble upon a vague directive from the Creator of the universe after his grandfather makes him drink some kind of hallucinogen. More lame. I believe the scriptures are true and so I believe the story of Noah. God literally baptized the earth with water and His protective hand was over the righteous family of Noah the entire time. I hated all of the crazy turmoil inside the ark that included Ham’s desire for revenge, an evil stowaway, and how everyone wanted to kill Noah. I picture something infinitely more peaceful as God lovingly cared for the prophet’s family every step of the way. Noah’s sons were married, so all of the drama about barren Ila and Noah not allowing his other sons to bring girls on the ark was inane and annoying. I thought Naameh’s home pregnancy kit was ridiculous. The rock people (The Watchers) would have been cool in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers , but they were laughable in this one. It was hard to feel badly for Ham’s girlfriend when they only knew each other for about two minutes. Their first date was hanging out in a ditch with a bunch of corpses. Classic. I would have liked to see more character development so we could have had time to care about her. I was kind of surprised that more time wasn’t spend on the disaster movie nature of the film, showing us more detail on what was going on outside the ark as the flood waters arrived. Then, my D grade for this movie could have a double meaning for Disaster. The liberal slant about the descendants of Cain who industrialized the world and raped it of its natural resources reminded me of being preached at in Ferngully: The Last Rainforest . Did anyone even notice Nick Nolte in the film? This film could have been so awesome if Darren Aronofsky had actually wanted to tell the story of Noah. He didn't and it wasn't. The end. Inspiring lines: “Is this the end of everything?” - Ila “The beginning of everything.” - Noah Tubal Cain, the wicked king barks “I have men at my back and you stand alone to defy me?” I loved it when Noah confidently declares “I am not alone.” Ham defiantly yells to his father “Do you want me to be a child?” Noah challenges him “I’m asking you to be a man and do what needs to be done.” “I see my sons. All they desire is love. Isn’t that all we need to be good?” - Naameh “You chose mercy. You chose love.” - Ila says to Noah “He chose you because you saw the wickedness of man and knew you wouldn’t look away. But there is goodness too.” - Ila says to Noah about why God chose him to prepare the ark. She provides a lot of insightful lessons in the movie and wraps up the theme quite nicely in the end. Yay Hermione Granger! “May you walk along side the Creator in righteousness.” - Noah’s father gives him this counsel at the beginning of the movie. It’s great advice for all of us, don’t you think? “Strength comes from the Creator.” - Noah Did you know? Countries like Qatar, United Arab Emirates, and Bahrain notified Paramount Pictures that they will not release this film. Director Darren Aronofsky jokes that they ran out of money, so they weren’t able to film a whole lot of the fish and creatures under the waters. Tips for parents: Children may become confused about what the real story of Noah is because of so many nonsensical elements in this film. Be prepared for violence, blood, infanticide, some discussion of sex.
Teen, 16 years old Written byStevie111 April 17, 2014

Terrible Waste of Time

I went not for biblical reasons but went because it looked like a well made disaster film, but it just sucked. The special effects were decent, but the movie dragged, was overly brutal, and just poorly made. Why they had to slit animals' throats with copious amounts of blood I don't know, but they did. Terrible movie, definitely don't recommend.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDukeSilver July 11, 2014

2 different masterpieces.

The epic and emotionally dark film blew me away. It has to be the best film based on a biblical snippet since the passion. Crowe and Connelly pull out all the stops to make their characters as real and believable possible. But the controversy over this film does not reside over this fact. People(Christians) are all upset a put the biblical accuracy. I am a Christian and had almost no issues with this film, in fact its now one of my favorites. It can be violent and a bit questionable due to some sexual situations. Nothing explicit is shown but we do get the idea. In terms of the biblical accuracy think about how long the story of Noah is. Like five paragraphs right? How do you make this a two hour film? Just like any book related movie, the film never terns out exactly like the book. Because some things are impossible to put into film or they may dull the story. To keep the general audience interested you have to make your film with certain things in it, these don't have to be inappropriate. The things that I think people are most angry about were the fallen angels or the rock monsters. These creatures help move the story along and keep the spiritual parts of the film alive. Why is this an issue? I understand that they aren't in the written text but who is to say they weren't there helping Noah. And actually the Bible does reference to the Watchers, as the fallen angels are called. Also people might be complaining about the whole deal with Ham and the youngest son having no wives. This piece just adds tension between Noah and his son to keep the plot from growing dull. We should not be complaining about this opportunity to share the gospel we should embrace it. This is the easiest way ever to get someone interested in the Bible and God.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNINJAPOKER123 May 29, 2014

ITS TO BORING AND THEY OVER DID IT WITH THE GORE DO NOT GO SEE IT

IF YOU BRING A CHILD TAKE THEM TO ANOTHER MOVIE THIS IS NOT MADE FOR CHILDREN EEN THOUGH IT SAYS PG-13 ITS MORE LIKE, PG-16 OR 17.
Kid, 12 years old April 16, 2014

Breathtaking

Breathtaking, absolutely breathtaking. Should be the movie of the year!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byAttentive Father August 1, 2014

The Lord

I think that this grossly misconstrues what the lord said to Noah and how he acted on what our lord said to him.
Educator and Parent Written bycsm4j May 28, 2014

Fabrication of lies using a biblical story.

This fabrication goes totally against the true story. The Bible is clear about the story of Noah. God speaks directly to him, tells him how the Ark is to be built and that Noah's grown sons help him build the ark. The sons already have wives and the wives are on the ark with them when the rain comes. The Bible makes it perfectly clear that only Noahs family are on the ark and that they are all obedient to God's will. In the movie, Noah sees unclear visions and has to search for answers. Fictional rock creatures aid in building of ark, two of the sons have no mate or are not even old enough for a mate. The oldest son has a barren mate that later conceives two daughters for the younger sons wives. A fabrication of Cain steals away on ark and plots with one son to kill Noah. That son leaves the family without a mate at the end. The Bible clearly tells the truth about the flood and how the animals and his family were saved. The Bible warms against changing even one door of an "i" or one cross of a "t". The Bible warms us about the punishment for leading people astray and this account does exactly that. I would not want to stand before God and had any part in this fabrication.
Parent Written byHUE April 26, 2014

Preposterous

Even from a secular stand point, the movie is horribly ridiculous. Entirely unbelievable. The characters are full of themselves. Noah is a psychotic mass murderer. If you are a Bible student you will walk out. This movie is blasphemous to the nth degree. It makes no reference to the Nephilim whom are key to the account. It makes the demonic angels out to be heroes. This movie bears no resemblance to scripture. Garbage.
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byjtlwd4 April 11, 2014

This Is NOT the Noah You Remember from Sunday School!

The entire theater was silent throughout the film. Although we were aware that the movie did not follow the Bible exactly, my husband and I were stunned by just how far the film strayed. There were some thoughtful portrayals. Thankfully brief, there were several depictions of just how evil mankind had become, with cruel disregard for both human and animal life. There was also a sense of frustration at God's silence, and examples of how even righteous people can misinterpret God's signs. Very heavy, and I'm sure even my 16-year-old would have been troubled. Some elements of the film were purely theatrical. I don't think there was a live animal in the film, only computer-generated, and some fantasy-based rather than familiar. The rock-monsters felt like they were Lord-of-the-Rings-based rather than Biblical, and their inclusion only served to bring even more sadness to the film. Forgive me if this review is too "religious", but let's face it: most people attracted to this film will be Christians or people with an interest in biblical stories. Several elements of this film were simply offensive. The Creator was not presented as involved and caring, but as aloof, angry, and cruel; Noah adopted those characteristics in this film. Adding story threads that were not from the Bible added many opportunities to portray God as even more cruel. This film portrayed a God to be feared rather than a God of love, and I can't see an unbeliever being drawn to Him through this film. We are glad we didn't take our 14-year-old and 16-year-old. They would have been aghast by the violence, shaken by the cruelty, and their beliefs and understanding of God would not have been strengthened. What a shame to have spent all this money creating a film that is destined to disappoint so many people.
Educator Written byHruaitluanga July 21, 2014

Too Much of Twist

Too Much of Twist..! From The Real Story From Bible. A Little twitch is Good It will make it interesting ,But This one is Too Much! And Too Much Violence .! It should Be Rated R!
Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2014

REALLY should have been rated R.

This movie is VERY Violent, gory and disturbing. Also kind of sad. No one under 14, in my opinion, should see this.
Kid, 12 years old April 22, 2014

Terribly Strays from Scriptures

The never say the word God or Lord in reference to Jehovah. Ham and Japheth don't have wives in the movie. Noah intends to kill off the human race. Methuselah is depicted as a witch doctor. The list goes on.
Kid, 8 years old August 7, 2014

Just fine

It was ok it could add a little more something