All member reviews for Oblivion

Stylized sci-fi entertains; expect deaths, sexy stuff.

Adult Written bywallyk2334 April 21, 2013

Best Sci-fi movie in years!!!

One of the best movies I've seen in years!! I took my 9 year old son with me and we both loved it. Violence really not an issue. If your kids can handle Star Wars then they can handle thus movie. Only part of the movie that gave me any pause was the nice long lingering shot of a female's naked butt where nothing was left to the imagination! :-). Only other issue may be trying to help your kid figure out the twists as the movie goes along. My nine year old didn't quite get why some things happened the way they did but it didn't diminish his love of the movie.
Adult Written bySummer_Days April 23, 2013

Slow-burner combines with popcorn entertainment

This is not just a a visually striking film. A compelling story entwines the sweeping background of devastated Earth, where a drone repairman has to deal with more than just doing his job. We are aware of his dreams, as he tells the story bit by bit, creating a dramatic atmosphere where a slow-burning emotional drama combines with fascinating popcorn entertainment. Each of the actors provide brilliant performances, and I enjoyed Cruise's pensive yet sceptical approach without it being predictable. The twists themselves are understandably unpredictable and adrenaline fuelled which makes this sci-fi action film all the more exciting.
Adult Written byKenito12 April 23, 2013

Can't Hollywood be a bit more subtle.

Please be aware of a what I thought was a gross scene related to the releasing of the contents of one's stomach that was not presented exactly in a subtle fashion.
Parent of an infant, 5, 7, 10, 14, and 18+ year old Written byJoejoejoejoe April 27, 2013

Ehh

He says **** you at the end but thats about it and nudity from back and very confusing
Parent of a 10 year old Written byJordan123456790 April 19, 2013

Oblivion

I think it is a great movie for kids and my son loves Tom cruise and I think that it is ok
Parent Written byDan G. April 21, 2013

Too much sex and bad language for all but the most mature children

The movie has too much sex and bad language for young or impressionable children. The two main characters take their relationship beyond a working one into an unmarried sexual relationship. There is a sex scene with some nudity in this movie. There is some profanity, as well as other crude language.
Adult Written bygabrieltnc April 29, 2013

Good Visuals

I had a fun time watching this movie! The visuals were very good, and Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman performed decently. The violence isn't bloody; typical sci/fi action. Let your mind go for a little while and expect nothing Oscar-worthy haha
Parent Written byShivom Oza April 26, 2013

Oblivion (2013) Review by Shivom Oza - The Title Says It All!

'Oblivion' is a science fiction film based on an unpublished graphic novel of the same name by writer-director Joseph Kosinski. Drone mechanic Jack Harper has been assigned to extract Earth's remaining resources (after its surface has been devastated following an alien invasion 60 years earlier). In the process, Jack discovers a crashed spacecraft, wherein he discovers a female stranger trapped inside a space-coffin. Post this incident, he begins questioning everything that he knows about the invasion and its repercussions. The title, 'Oblivion', means 'state of being forgotten'. And yes, the movie is quite forgettable. Too many sci-fi films have been made on the 'dystopian' theme, so even the concept isn't novel. The lone good thing about the film was the background score. The half-baked climax added insult to injury. The 120-million-dollar-worth project is a criminal waste of resources. According to the film's premise, planet Earth was invaded by the aliens in 2017, which left its surface nearly destroyed. 60 years later, former Marine commander Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) is one of the last few mechanics stationed on the planet. Jack repairs the drones, which patrol the skies and protect the planet from warring aliens. He and his colleague Victoria Olsen (Andrea Riseborough) are a part of the operation to clean up the remaining forces of the invasion and extract the planet's remaining resources. Almost reaching the culmination of the mission, Jack rescues a female stranger, Julia Rusakova (Olga Kurylenko), from a space-coffin inside a crashed spaceship. Following this incident, he comes in contact with the mysterious Malcolm Beech (Morgan Freeman) and is forced to question everything that he knows about the alien invasion. The film takes too long to establish its plot and premise. Most sci-films made in 2012 focused on the 'dystopian'/post-end-of-the-world theme and a majority of them were major disappointments. While this film makes a hash of the subject with its long-drawn and inconsequential screenplay, most makers should question the feasibility of the concept as well. The '2050/2060/2100 etc.' films do not intrigue the audiences anymore. So, no matter what the star-cast, budget, story or maker, there are more chances that the film will carry a strong 'been-there-seen-that' undertone. In 'Oblivion', the plot moves on sluggishly for the first 90 minutes, until the makers realize that they have to give the 120-million-dollars spending some sort of justification. The writers have tried to incorporate several twists in the climax, but the damage is done and the sudden developments purely add to the viewer's chagrin. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman are completely wasted in the film. The background score by Anthony Gonzalez and Joseph Trapanese is quite nice, but that's about it. The title says it all! Shivom Oza
Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2013

Oblivi-"eh"-n. Sorry for the bad pun.

It's all right. It tries to be complex, but really, it's just a lot of exposition and plot twists. There aren't really any subliminal messages or deep meaning besides that it's better to die doing something wicked rather than dying like a loser. Not even kidding. That's just about it. Besides that, it's mostly just "Name That Sci-Fi Movie!". (SPOILER ALERT, SPOILERS AHEAD) Here's some examples: A.I. fighting against a secret society that wears black leather and sunglasses and is led by a famous African American actor who's the coolest one there is The Matrix, giant thing in space that holds people who will soon travel to another planet far off (well, moon in this case) is Dune, destroyed New York that is turned into a beach like area is Planet of the Apes, and so many more. (SPOILERS OVER) Basically, it's good enough, but in my opinion, not quite as good as the director's previous work on Tron: Legacy, which at least was original in design. Oh, yeah, and there's a naked lady who is shown in shadow and then lit up in a pool, but from a distance and in the waves when closer. But it's like, THAT CLOSE to full nudity. As far as violence goes, little blood, LOTS of explosions. Like, a Michael Bay level of explosion-y non-bloody violence. BTW, not to be spoiler-y, but lots of creepy clone-embyro things in an evil thing's base.
Adult Written byJohn Freeman June 25, 2016

This movie is a cery

Teen, 14 years old Written bybiovox14 May 9, 2016

It was pretty good.

It was a pretty decent movie. Not a whole lot of action and some partial nudity but nothing serious. Does make you think alot but not real confusing. Some may think it a bit boring.
Teen, 16 years old Written byolympicmascots May 8, 2016

Good movie with some issues

I didn't really see a lot of violence. Some flirting and dating between characters. 2 f words heard and a few swearing. Confusing plot. I just don't know what is really going on.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 21, 2015
Kid, 8 years old June 8, 2015

Violent, creepy but awesome thriller is quite racy.

My rating:R for strong violence, nudity, language, and racy content
Teen, 15 years old Written bydeath11skull May 11, 2015

This movie was OK.

My rating:R:For violence, language, and disturbing nudity. Language is constant of sh**, and one F bomb. Violence is simple pg-13. Disturbing sexual scene earns this movie to be rated R. (My opinion)
Adult Written bysarge123 February 12, 2015
Adult Written bykipwalker44 January 27, 2015

Post-apocalyptic sci-fi is flat-out boring

Kid, 12 years old November 28, 2014

Great Movie!

I saw it with my dad it age eleven. It was not scary for me! But of all my friends, I am the one who does not get scared of movies. I really enjoyed it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymoviewatcherII November 23, 2014

boring

language: 7/8 Characters say bit©h, sh!t and fu©k. Violence: 3/8 There is plenty of shooting and explosions. Sex: 1/8 A character removes her clothes to swimm. It is dark, but her duff is shown. She then jumps into a lighted pool, illuminating her hindquarters.
Written byAnonymous October 12, 2014

Mature cruise sci-fi thriller has violence and sexy material

My rating:PG-13 for intense violence and action,langauge,sexuality/nudity and drug refrences