All member reviews for Oblivion

Stylized sci-fi entertains; expect deaths, sexy stuff.

Adult Written byKenito12 April 23, 2013

Can't Hollywood be a bit more subtle.

Please be aware of a what I thought was a gross scene related to the releasing of the contents of one's stomach that was not presented exactly in a subtle fashion.
Adult Written bywallyk2334 April 21, 2013

Best Sci-fi movie in years!!!

One of the best movies I've seen in years!! I took my 9 year old son with me and we both loved it. Violence really not an issue. If your kids can handle Star Wars then they can handle thus movie. Only part of the movie that gave me any pause was the nice long lingering shot of a female's naked butt where nothing was left to the imagination! :-). Only other issue may be trying to help your kid figure out the twists as the movie goes along. My nine year old didn't quite get why some things happened the way they did but it didn't diminish his love of the movie.
Adult Written bySummer_Days April 23, 2013

Slow-burner combines with popcorn entertainment

This is not just a a visually striking film. A compelling story entwines the sweeping background of devastated Earth, where a drone repairman has to deal with more than just doing his job. We are aware of his dreams, as he tells the story bit by bit, creating a dramatic atmosphere where a slow-burning emotional drama combines with fascinating popcorn entertainment. Each of the actors provide brilliant performances, and I enjoyed Cruise's pensive yet sceptical approach without it being predictable. The twists themselves are understandably unpredictable and adrenaline fuelled which makes this sci-fi action film all the more exciting.
Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2013

TOM CRUISE OBLIVION SCI-FI EPIC IS SURE TO BE A CLASSIC FOR YEARS TO COME

SEX: 5/10. [Kissing, nudity, and sensual content.] VIOLENCE: 7/10. [A woman is incinerated by a drone. We see her ashes. Drones shoot and incinerate a group of people, and drones are shot at and explode in three or four scenes. A giant Scav space station explodes into an oblivion, and a man and a clone of himself fight with fists and guns until one of them is knocked out. A man is briefly hit in the head with the butt of a gun, a cut on his nose is later shown. People dress like aliens in somewhat scary suits. A woman is shot in the chest, with blood flow. A woman vomits, and a man repeatedly shoots a drone as it advances on him with a machine gun. The drone explodes, and the man is shown on the ground with burns and cuts on his face. Jack Harbor #49 is shot by another human, brief smoky hole in his uniform is shown.] LANGUAGE: 6/10. [B*tch, bullsh*t, sh*t, and one f*ck.] CONSUMERISM: 3/10. [Yankee cap, and band CDs are shown and played such as Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.] DRINKING/DRUGS/SMOKING: 4/10. [People are put into 'Delta Sleep' for some time. A tranquilizer is shown but not used. People are referenced to drinking. A man smokes a cigar.] Lots of positive role models and messages, and the infrequent but present sci-fi violence actually isn't so bad, although there are minor things throughout such as vomiting, burns, cuts, and sci-fi guns are also shown and sometimes used throughout. A very good, instant classic. NOTE: THE PLOT IS VERY VERY COMPLEX AND YOU WILL NEED TO WATCH MORE THAN ONCE TO GET IT. Off for ages 1-10, borderline for age 11, and fine for 12+. Very good Tom Cruise sci-fi movie. If you are age 11, maybe think about seeing it with friends or an adult. THIS MOVIE HAS A VERY COMPLICATED PLOT. But it is totally worth seeing.
Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2013

Oblivi-"eh"-n. Sorry for the bad pun.

It's all right. It tries to be complex, but really, it's just a lot of exposition and plot twists. There aren't really any subliminal messages or deep meaning besides that it's better to die doing something wicked rather than dying like a loser. Not even kidding. That's just about it. Besides that, it's mostly just "Name That Sci-Fi Movie!". (SPOILER ALERT, SPOILERS AHEAD) Here's some examples: A.I. fighting against a secret society that wears black leather and sunglasses and is led by a famous African American actor who's the coolest one there is The Matrix, giant thing in space that holds people who will soon travel to another planet far off (well, moon in this case) is Dune, destroyed New York that is turned into a beach like area is Planet of the Apes, and so many more. (SPOILERS OVER) Basically, it's good enough, but in my opinion, not quite as good as the director's previous work on Tron: Legacy, which at least was original in design. Oh, yeah, and there's a naked lady who is shown in shadow and then lit up in a pool, but from a distance and in the waves when closer. But it's like, THAT CLOSE to full nudity. As far as violence goes, little blood, LOTS of explosions. Like, a Michael Bay level of explosion-y non-bloody violence. BTW, not to be spoiler-y, but lots of creepy clone-embyro things in an evil thing's base.
Parent Written byDan G. April 21, 2013

Too much sex and bad language for all but the most mature children

The movie has too much sex and bad language for young or impressionable children. The two main characters take their relationship beyond a working one into an unmarried sexual relationship. There is a sex scene with some nudity in this movie. There is some profanity, as well as other crude language.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byJordan123456790 April 19, 2013

Oblivion

I think it is a great movie for kids and my son loves Tom cruise and I think that it is ok
Teen, 15 years old Written byStemma21 April 20, 2013

Oblivion

This is a very confusing, complex movie. You need to think for a bit and pay very close attention in order to understand. There's rear nudity and suggestive activity. There's mild language throughout, with one clear "F You" at the end. There's a lot of action, along with a bit of violence, but not too bad. Good for teens based on the content, but expect to be confused atleast a bit.
Kid, 12 years old April 20, 2013

A Compelling Work of Science Fiction that reminds some of the Sci-Fi of old...

Based off of the director's unpublished graphic novel of the same name, Oblivion is a film with a good concept and a great plot with so many twists and turns that I can't go that far in the plot without spoiling it but I will say that it is about a clean-up crew member, Jack, finding out more about his job than he thought there was. . . . This movie's plot also never has you thinking it ends the way it did. I personally would love to get this movie when its on Blu-ray right away!
Teen, 15 years old Written bypatton1942 April 21, 2013

An amazing story, though some what complicated

A sci-fi epic that will go down in history as one of the most debated over movies ever. Although very satisfying, this movie is also unavoidably confusing. There is one scene that shows some female back nudity but other than that, sex is not really a concern. Although there is quite a bit of violence throughout the movie, it goes alot deeper than your average action flick. Many people are vaporised by drone weaponry but there is no blood or gore. Cursing is used sparsly as the movie goes along, ending with a powerful use of f***. Jack Harper is ambitious, curious, and wants to do whats right. He is always fighting for what he thinks is right. Deffinitly a see for all sci-fi/Tom Cruise/deep-action fans.
Parent of an infant, 5, 7, 10, 14, and 18 year old Written byJoejoejoejoe April 27, 2013

Ehh

He says **** you at the end but thats about it and nudity from back and very confusing
Parent Written byShivom Oza April 26, 2013

Oblivion (2013) Review by Shivom Oza - The Title Says It All!

'Oblivion' is a science fiction film based on an unpublished graphic novel of the same name by writer-director Joseph Kosinski. Drone mechanic Jack Harper has been assigned to extract Earth's remaining resources (after its surface has been devastated following an alien invasion 60 years earlier). In the process, Jack discovers a crashed spacecraft, wherein he discovers a female stranger trapped inside a space-coffin. Post this incident, he begins questioning everything that he knows about the invasion and its repercussions. The title, 'Oblivion', means 'state of being forgotten'. And yes, the movie is quite forgettable. Too many sci-fi films have been made on the 'dystopian' theme, so even the concept isn't novel. The lone good thing about the film was the background score. The half-baked climax added insult to injury. The 120-million-dollar-worth project is a criminal waste of resources. According to the film's premise, planet Earth was invaded by the aliens in 2017, which left its surface nearly destroyed. 60 years later, former Marine commander Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) is one of the last few mechanics stationed on the planet. Jack repairs the drones, which patrol the skies and protect the planet from warring aliens. He and his colleague Victoria Olsen (Andrea Riseborough) are a part of the operation to clean up the remaining forces of the invasion and extract the planet's remaining resources. Almost reaching the culmination of the mission, Jack rescues a female stranger, Julia Rusakova (Olga Kurylenko), from a space-coffin inside a crashed spaceship. Following this incident, he comes in contact with the mysterious Malcolm Beech (Morgan Freeman) and is forced to question everything that he knows about the alien invasion. The film takes too long to establish its plot and premise. Most sci-films made in 2012 focused on the 'dystopian'/post-end-of-the-world theme and a majority of them were major disappointments. While this film makes a hash of the subject with its long-drawn and inconsequential screenplay, most makers should question the feasibility of the concept as well. The '2050/2060/2100 etc.' films do not intrigue the audiences anymore. So, no matter what the star-cast, budget, story or maker, there are more chances that the film will carry a strong 'been-there-seen-that' undertone. In 'Oblivion', the plot moves on sluggishly for the first 90 minutes, until the makers realize that they have to give the 120-million-dollars spending some sort of justification. The writers have tried to incorporate several twists in the climax, but the damage is done and the sudden developments purely add to the viewer's chagrin. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman are completely wasted in the film. The background score by Anthony Gonzalez and Joseph Trapanese is quite nice, but that's about it. The title says it all! Shivom Oza
Adult Written bygabrieltnc April 29, 2013

Good Visuals

I had a fun time watching this movie! The visuals were very good, and Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman performed decently. The violence isn't bloody; typical sci/fi action. Let your mind go for a little while and expect nothing Oscar-worthy haha
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE April 25, 2013

Oblivion is an Entertaining and Stunning Movie

This movie was incredible. Its a very intense movie that keeps you on your seat and some some great unexpected twists. This movie is fine for mature and older teens but NOT for anyone younger than 13. There is one scene where a woman is shown naked from the back. This did not bother me or make me feel uncomfortable but In the theater several parents took their kids out. The "F" bomb is mentioned once as well as several other bad words. The main thing though is the violence. There are Several intense scenes so be prepared. Overall its awesome and really cool. Go see it!
Kid, 12 years old May 23, 2013

I know what ur thinking - no way im letting my kids watch this , they land an f ( **k ) bomb!!! let me tell u my opinion!!!

it teaches them. Ok- not exactly teaching, but its a very good movie. i let me 10 years old watch it ( she has 4 older brothers ) and she loved it. there is one, only one, f bomb, ( f**k ) but its not that bad. i promise. im a protective mother and ive seen, heard and said it all. believe me, i know. i think this movie is great!!!! WATCH WATCH WATCH!!!!! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoooo way May 2, 2013

Noooooooo

It's ok but their will be some sexilty like kisses and its not good for under 12 years old
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoooo way May 2, 2013

Noooooooo

Kid, 10 years old May 6, 2013

Oblivion Review

I'm 10 and I watched the movie Oblivion in the cinema. It was a good movie but it had quite a bit of swearing for a PG-13 like it says f--k. Just to tell you if you want to watch it, watch out for some mushy parts. There is also one nude scene where you can see the back of a girl naked. Not the front though. Bye!
Kid, 10 years old April 25, 2013

READ NOW

some seans my mom did not let me see but you can cover there eyes like most parents do.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 April 20, 2013

Oscar-worthy sci-fi flick has violence and sexual material

(Spoiler alert!) one of my top sci-fi movies, Oblivion is a 2 hour spectacle of special effects and loud, violent battles. young kids will be drawn in by all the explosive mayhem, but this futuristic thriller is too violent for them. although the battles are infrequent, they are still loud and long. people, aliens, and drones are shot, with the people desintegrating and explodng onscreen. the aliens are blown up, one time with a severed head rolling along the floor. the drones cause massive destrcution, explosions, and countless deaths. there are some tense chases and climactic explosion that kills theb main character. there is also some notable sexual content, but it is limited to a brief shot of a womans nakeed butt, and a steamy pre-sex situation. Jack constntly swears, using s**t multiple times and saying f**k as one of his last words. Beech smokes a massive cigar in some scenes