All member reviews for Oceans

Gorgeous educational docu dives deep for facts; kids OK.

Teen, 15 years old Written bygoodteenuser1 October 20, 2010

Very good and very educational.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byKMS April 30, 2010

My 3 year old son and I went to see this movie. We both enjoyed it. While he may not have liked the baby sea turtles being eaten, he seemed to understand that it was a part of life (he said, "that made me a little sad, but the birds have to eat too") and he was able to see the positive side of it ("one turtle made it to the ocean and that made me happy!"). There was no blood, and even when animals were killed or eaten (one crab, baby turtles, and some seals) the film did not dwell on it. He did start to lose interest after about an hour, but there was so much interesting positive content, and I he really seems to have learned a lot about ocean life. He and I both enjoyed the movie.
Educator and Parent of a 10 year old Written bygummie22 April 25, 2010

Beautiful, but too many missed opportunities to teach important lessons

We just saw Oceans and enjoyed the images immensely. However, as a diver, and having seen the human impact on our oceans first-hand, I don't think this movie went far enough with its message. When there were scenes that were a little disturbing for my son, the film did not explain what was happening, or why. "Why are the birds eating the baby turtles?" The answer was left for me, the mom, to answer. However, there were several scenes showing the beautiful lionfish, but no mention that they have invaded the Caribbean and are destroying life on its coral reefs. I am a teacher, and an amateur marine naturalist, and I think that this, and many other moments in the film were missed opportunities to teach some important lessons. Yes, we see garbage floating in the ocean, but what about telling and showing how big that floating garbage thing really is -- hundreds of miles!!!!! So, while I really loved the movie and how amazing the images were, I still feel it had too many missed opportunities to teach important lessons. Jacques Cousteau always explained "why" in his films. I think this film was missing that important element.
Kid, 10 years old April 22, 2010

Very educational and loveable movie for kids and adults.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymanay_4511 September 18, 2010

Disney natures are the best!

This movie is absolutetly appropriate for all ages, its very educational, it talks about the fishes, oceans somewhat.
Kid, 11 years old June 25, 2010

A great documentary for the whole family!

A beuatiful movie for the whole family! It teaches you about the world's oceans and how to take care of it. The movie is really sad though. For example: (1) Baby sea turtles get eaten by sea birds. (2) Certain animals get harmed because of water pollution.
Kid, 10 years old August 8, 2011

Great filming.

Oceans wasn't as great as Earth was, but the filming was done very nicely. Everyone should see it, appropriate for everyone.
Kid, 9 years old April 27, 2010

perf for tweens

it has some eating of cute sea turtles but no kids that are sensitive to that stuff
Kid, 8 years old May 14, 2010

the real point of this movie's about what is under the sea that's what really happens down below
Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2010

amaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best movie ever. No blood.Just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw it with my school ever one loved it!!!
Kid, 9 years old April 15, 2010

Kid, 10 years old April 18, 2011

For 5 and Up

It is a good movie. Please, parents, be aware that it has some minor violence problems (such as baby sea turtles get eaten by seagulls). But over all it's very educational and a fun, peaceful movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCotty July 3, 2010

Pretty-but not worth it!!!

While this movie had a lot of wonderful images from the oceans, the movie could not go five minutes without giving untrue facts. Throughout the entire thing they were saying what animals evolved from what and how it all started with a cell and all that. Of which has never been proven. By the end of the movie I was falling asleep. People can only watch seals playing for so long......
Parent Written byParismama October 12, 2010

A beautiful film for tweens

We just watched this this weekend. An AMAZINGLY magical film- my oldest was riveted (my youngest who's 5 1/2 wasn't interested, though) Some of the scenes with pollution and illegal fishing (maiming) are a bit brutal- but I think the message is an important one for kids 8 yrs and above and will hopefully motivate them to take action
Parent of a 9 year old Written bydoddlsmom April 23, 2010

Not G

My son is 9 years old and he went on a school field trip and him and his classmates were severely disturbed by the sea lions being show eaten. Yes, it's part of nature unfortunately, but do we show our kids cows/chickens/pigs being slaughtered????????????
Adult Written byUS-EuroMom April 26, 2012

Beautifully made movie. Watch it with your kids.

We watched this for the 1st time as a family on Blu-ray. We watched it with our 6 year old, 4 year old and 20 month old. After reading the reviews, we talked with the kids before we watched it. We asked them what do animals eat...answer "other animals". We told them that the movie might show animals eating each other and if they wanted us to we could fast forward at those parts or they could close their eyes or leave the room. From the moment it started, they loved it. Full of questions and captivated. Our 4 year old boy, loved every minute of it. Our 6 year old girl closed her eyes for a few parts (her little brother let her know when it was safe again). The little one was busy playing, but got excited about some of the fish and the polar bear otherwise she ignored it. I could see where some young children would have issues with it, but it is real life and well portrayed so as not to be in your face with the animals that were eaten. Many of the animated movies are much more graphic in their portrayals. The one part that bothered me was the commercial fishing portion with animals trapped in nets. It is the only part with any blood in the water and it shows blood and the silhouettes of people. The kids were distracted during this part and missed it. You need to make a judgement call as a parent with this one and watch it with them the first time or 2. Otherwise, we all loved it.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byJesusrulz666 July 23, 2010

Ok. Though N.S. and TOE are not necessary true. It shows how the oceans of the world are.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bysudsy11 May 5, 2010

If you seriously think you need to protect your kids that are over the age of 6 from the circle of life depicted in this film - you may as well build that bubble right now. It's an amazing film.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byamyhere April 29, 2010

great movie for families

beautifully done. will appeal to younger kids as well as older ones and adults.
Adult Written bymjlefebvre@dlac... April 22, 2010

Only Disney could do justice to God's creation - amazing!

Our whole school went (K-8) and everyone loved the movie. My husband and I both took time off work to help drive students, and it was well worth the time.