All member reviews for October Sky

Inspiring tale for older tweens and up.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTwilightgirl137 June 29, 2010

Rockets up for October Sky

It was good. This movie had very good highlights in it! Homer didn't care on what his father said. He continued to build rockets. In the end, his dream came true. Also, everything works out in the end.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Meh...

Am I the only one who didn't really like this movie? Well, I thought it was decent, wholesome family entertainment, but had a feeling of 'been there done that' to it. It's just another inspirational 'true story' kind of film, that's been done countless times before. But the main problem with 'October Sky' was the ending, which I found to be overly sentimental and rather corny, and caused some unintentional laughs from me. Overall, I thought this was an okay movie-mildly entertaining, and has a good cast, but far too sentimental, and the whole thing is more unexciting than inspiring.
Kid, 11 years old February 25, 2011

Some of my autism history and how i loved october sky

This is a really good movie. I watched it in Ms. Ridley's room at Grand Mesa Middle School. Yes, the cursing was not disturbing for me. I actually laughed every time they said "sh*t" cause the cursing was funny for me because of my Asperger's. My autism had changed over the years. I started out as severe. When I was 7, it was moderate. When I was 10, it was mild. When I when to Mrs. Robinson's therapy, I got the diagnosis of Asperger's.
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2015

Really good!

I remember I was young when I watched this movie. I loved it. It was so sad and yet so powerful. It is the tale that will inspire kids to follow their dreams. Watch it NOW!
Educator and Parent Written bydmo64 November 19, 2012

Great movie, not for elementary students.

This is a great move. It teaches about history, 1957 Soviets beating U.S. into space with Sputnik, and what life was like in a coal town. The story is also great, because it shows how a person can achieve their dreams. More inspiring, is that it is based on the real life of Homer H. If you watch the extras, they have the real Homer H. on there explaining how he got a scholarship to Virginia Tech and was employed by NASA. There is a fair amount of foul language, not a terrible amount, but more than I would want my 10 year old to hear. therefore I recommend this for kids 7th grade (12+).
Parent Written byzephyrrs October 9, 2012

I wish there were more films like this

The story of Homer Hickman and his friends is truly inspirational. The fact that the characters and the people have real-life faults made for interesting follow-up conversations with the kids. The language is not as bad as many of the teen films of the 80s and the one scene where the drunken parent of a friend is clearly abusive caused my 10 year old to need to cover her face up in fear that something worse was coming. However, she also loved it and wanted to watch the "real life of Homer Hickman" documentary that was on the DVD. Afterwards, we talked about what it would be like to grow up with less options and to not believe in yourself. We also discussed how the faith of one role model can have such an impact on someone. The fact that the movie is based on real life is truly inspirational.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGreenMaple January 1, 2012

Inspirational

Great for tweens and teens. The main character is a good role model (and a real one) who works hard towards his goals despite obstacles, and it's encouraging for those facing their own hardships while trying to reach goals.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byBorax September 23, 2011

Very inspiring

It's hard to find a family movie better than this. A talented boy whose father is reluctant to support his gifts persists in pursuing his dream of building a rocket. Lots of fun, great acting, and incredibly touching without gratuitous tugging on the heart strings. Superb!
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2011

A boring movie

I had to watch this in science class, and it was really boring! It had positive role models, too.
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2011

So boring!!!

Well this movie was so boring. Bubbo, you are not the only one who did not like this movie. I don't like it either. I watched it in my classroom and I fell asleep because it was so boring. Not that funny. Duh, who wants to watch a movie that is too boring or unexciting. Not Me or Bubbo. Just watch a movie that makes sense!
Adult Written byggg89wet April 12, 2011

Parent of a 9 year old Written byJoybulicious September 15, 2010

Loved it. Lots of great messaging. An Educational opportunit for Parent/Child.

I loved this movie and so did my son when we saw it. Yes the scene with the child being hurt by his parent was a bit disturbing, but it did offer an educational opportunity to speak about violence against children.
Adult Written byBonnieBee September 7, 2010

This movie has a pretty good message about achieving your dreams, but it also points out that we can't neglect our family at the same time. I enjoyed most of it, and think it is a good movie for discerning older teens/young adults.
Kid, 11 years old June 30, 2010

They showed us this movie at school and its a really interesting one about three boys who make rockets but the rockets blow up and there are lots of fights. Also they say "son of a b****" and "d*mn" a lot
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 June 10, 2010

A Fine Movie for science class

After building and studying rockets we watched this inspiring film with a real young Gyllenhall and country accents to spare. See it, even though I don't think I liked it as much as everyone else apparently does.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bySinoDreamer May 22, 2010

American dream

American have dream. We Chinese Youthes need the dreams. But our Country and Society will never give us any opportunity. They are all drawning into corruption and using power as their own money machine.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byEducatorm68 August 25, 2009

Awesome message, language is a bit gritty.

The messages of hope and perseverance are powerful in this movie. However, there is some language that is not appropriate for a PG movie (A**, Sonofab****, S**** etc) and there are some inappropriate sexual references involving teens. Preview it before watching with the kids...
Teen, 13 years old Written byRubberSoul August 11, 2009

Perfect family movie, or just to watch by yourself! Best movie ever!

I absolutely fell in love with this movie when I first saw it. I saw October Sky 6 times, and never get tired of it! One of the best movies I have ever seen. Very heart-warming and inspiring.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhurricane10 April 9, 2008