All member reviews for October Sky

Inspiring tale for older tweens and up.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Meh...

Am I the only one who didn't really like this movie? Well, I thought it was decent, wholesome family entertainment, but had a feeling of 'been there done that' to it. It's just another inspirational 'true story' kind of film, that's been done countless times before. But the main problem with 'October Sky' was the ending, which I found to be overly sentimental and rather corny, and caused some unintentional laughs from me. Overall, I thought this was an okay movie-mildly entertaining, and has a good cast, but far too sentimental, and the whole thing is more unexciting than inspiring.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwilightgirl137 June 29, 2010

Rockets up for October Sky

It was good. This movie had very good highlights in it! Homer didn't care on what his father said. He continued to build rockets. In the end, his dream came true. Also, everything works out in the end.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byBorax September 23, 2011

Very inspiring

It's hard to find a family movie better than this. A talented boy whose father is reluctant to support his gifts persists in pursuing his dream of building a rocket. Lots of fun, great acting, and incredibly touching without gratuitous tugging on the heart strings. Superb!
Kid, 11 years old February 25, 2011

Some of my autism history and how i loved october sky

This is a really good movie. I watched it in Ms. Ridley's room at Grand Mesa Middle School. Yes, the cursing was not disturbing for me. I actually laughed every time they said "sh*t" cause the cursing was funny for me because of my Asperger's. My autism had changed over the years. I started out as severe. When I was 7, it was moderate. When I was 10, it was mild. When I when to Mrs. Robinson's therapy, I got the diagnosis of Asperger's.
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2015

Really good!

I remember I was young when I watched this movie. I loved it. It was so sad and yet so powerful. It is the tale that will inspire kids to follow their dreams. Watch it NOW!
Parent Written byzephyrrs October 9, 2012

I wish there were more films like this

The story of Homer Hickman and his friends is truly inspirational. The fact that the characters and the people have real-life faults made for interesting follow-up conversations with the kids. The language is not as bad as many of the teen films of the 80s and the one scene where the drunken parent of a friend is clearly abusive caused my 10 year old to need to cover her face up in fear that something worse was coming. However, she also loved it and wanted to watch the "real life of Homer Hickman" documentary that was on the DVD. Afterwards, we talked about what it would be like to grow up with less options and to not believe in yourself. We also discussed how the faith of one role model can have such an impact on someone. The fact that the movie is based on real life is truly inspirational.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Inspiring Family Film for All! A Must-See!

OCTOBER SKY is the best. Here we have pin-point acting, marvelous directing, and an inspiring story about tolerance and following your dreams. It's beautiful. After teen Homer Hickam sees Sputnik race across the sky, he is determined to build rockets. One would think that's okay, but it's hard for Homer. He lives in Coalwood, a small, no-name town that relies on its coal mine for everything. To sum it up: No coal mine, no Coalwood. Homer's efforts are discouraged constantly by his miner father and his school principal, but are encouraged by schoolteacher Miss Riley and his mother. So Homer and his buddies hike a few miles, build a launch pad, and let the rockets fly. (SPOILER) Their brilliant work leads to victory at the nationwide science fair. Cursing is strong for a PG rating, but not as frequent as BACK TO THE FUTURE. "b**ch", "a*s", "da*n", and "s**t" are used many times. There is really no sex outside of teenage boys planning to wrap their arms around pretty girls, and the only violence is when a boy is briefly and non-graphically beat by his step-father. The beating is halted by Homer's dad. Really, OCTOBER SKY is the best. It's all you can hope for from movies. The acting is perfect, especially Laura Dern, who is an on-screen gem as Miss Riley. Watch it with your whole family and enjoy. This movie is a perfect example of what attracted us to movies in the first place. Highly reccommended.
Educator and Parent Written bydmo64 November 19, 2012

Great movie, not for elementary students.

This is a great move. It teaches about history, 1957 Soviets beating U.S. into space with Sputnik, and what life was like in a coal town. The story is also great, because it shows how a person can achieve their dreams. More inspiring, is that it is based on the real life of Homer H. If you watch the extras, they have the real Homer H. on there explaining how he got a scholarship to Virginia Tech and was employed by NASA. There is a fair amount of foul language, not a terrible amount, but more than I would want my 10 year old to hear. therefore I recommend this for kids 7th grade (12+).
Adult Written byBonnieBee September 7, 2010
This movie has a pretty good message about achieving your dreams, but it also points out that we can't neglect our family at the same time. I enjoyed most of it, and think it is a good movie for discerning older teens/young adults.
Teen, 15 years old Written byWayTooDramatic April 9, 2008

A great movie

This is an excellent movie, which is very inspiring. However, there are a few sexual references, and Homer and his girlfriend are shown in a steamed-up car. There is also some strong language for a PG.

Best Movie I Ever Saw

I loved this movie, my 6th grade science teacher showed it to me just this year. We were doing a rocket unit was why, and I thought it was phenomenal.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGreenMaple January 1, 2012

Inspirational

Great for tweens and teens. The main character is a good role model (and a real one) who works hard towards his goals despite obstacles, and it's encouraging for those facing their own hardships while trying to reach goals.
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2011

A boring movie

I had to watch this in science class, and it was really boring! It had positive role models, too.
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2011

So boring!!!

Well this movie was so boring. Bubbo, you are not the only one who did not like this movie. I don't like it either. I watched it in my classroom and I fell asleep because it was so boring. Not that funny. Duh, who wants to watch a movie that is too boring or unexciting. Not Me or Bubbo. Just watch a movie that makes sense!
Teen, 17 years old Written byDreamCatcher68 April 9, 2008

A definate must-see.

This is an inspiring movie that will move you and your children. It sends a powerful and good message about following your dreams. There is very little sexual content and some language, but nothing that should stop you from watching it...I highly reccomend it to everyone! Great for 11+
Parent of a 9 and 15 year old Written bypatmoss June 12, 2016

Makes me cry ... Everytime!

Boy Scout Leaders (Wood Badgers) know this movie. It lets you work through Forming, Storming, Norming, and then Performing. Homer is a real person, and is more than friendly. The film itself is beautifully shot, and directed with emotion.
Adult Written bycodgerX June 4, 2016

Inspiring, truly enjoyable for whole family

This is one of those rare movies where both kids are parents will be completely interested and vested in the story. Moreover, it is both deeply inspiring, and also educational, both about science, and about life. I think my kids were 7 when they watched it, loved it, no harm done. If you don't mind a bit of mild language, and some tough losses (nothing they won't deal with in a more cartoonish way in say "Force Awakens"), it's truly a family movie gem.
Adult Written byggg89wet April 12, 2011
Parent of a 9 year old Written byJoybulicious September 15, 2010

Loved it. Lots of great messaging. An Educational opportunit for Parent/Child.

I loved this movie and so did my son when we saw it. Yes the scene with the child being hurt by his parent was a bit disturbing, but it did offer an educational opportunity to speak about violence against children.