Tearjerker is one of the best early Disney dramas.

Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Really Good Kids Movie

Adult Written byHorsejumper October 23, 2009

good show!

It is a good show but the very end is very sad.
Adult Written bySonia Montejano April 9, 2008
Kid, 11 years old December 23, 2011

great, but sad

on of the saddest movies around (and also scary and relativaley disturbing at some parts), keep kidds under 6 or 7 away from it. it is a very sad tale, especially if you own a dog.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPoison Ivey November 25, 2010
Seriously? This is NOT a kids movie! The boy shoots and kills his own dog.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDarudeLover April 9, 2008

It's alright

This movie is one of the saddest movies I have ever seen. It's almost impossible for me to cry during movies, but this made me so sad. It's a one-time only movie for me.
Kid, 10 years old September 15, 2010
good. i saw it in school
Teen, 13 years old Written byreviewgirl13 May 12, 2009

Very sad but interesting

I haven't seen the movie, but I have read the book, and if the movie is like the book, then the movie is awesome. The book is amazing, interesting and so sad. I can imagine how sad it is to actually see it.
I wached it with my fifth grade class. it was ok. the best thing about it is that it is also a book, and i took an AR test on it and got a 90. (that means i only missed 1 question!!)
Teen, 17 years old Written byTripleR April 21, 2011

Fantastic family movie just a bit of scary violence for children around 8 and below.

I think this is a fantastic family movie or a great movie just to cuddle up and watch by yourself. Be sure to have a box of tissues on hand as it is one of the best tear jerkers I've ever watched. The only thing that might be iffy for younger kids is *warning, spoiler alert!* he has to shoot Old Yeller in the end. Kids may not understand or get the wrong idea so be sure to take note of that. Otherwise is a perfect, clean family movie! :D
Kid, 10 years old October 2, 2010
This is a great movie but definently to voilent for 9- kids. I loved this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byerich April 9, 2008

Great movie with a lot of scary real-life dangers.

It's hard to critcize this old chestnut, and I admit I let my 4 year old see it many times. It does have significant scary parts though, e.g., boy gets attacked by wild hogs, mother gets attacked by rabid wolf. There is also period-related sexism (the father leaves the nearly adolescent son in charge of the farm and tells him to take care of his mother). I don't think I'll be destroying anyone's enjoyment if I mention that the end is very sad because the protagonist has to deal with crushing loss (Old Yeller has to be "put down").
Adult Written bywonder dove May 17, 2013

Saddest movie in the world!

My sister and I used to watch this often when we were around 6/7, and it is a wonderful movie aside from it being ridiculously sad. My *older* sister would just ball her eyes out every time. It's the perfect story of forgiveness, love and friendship. That's what I truly love about these older 1900's films, they're so good and you never have to worry about inappropriate content! Old Yeller is a dog you will forever remember!!! Violence has some old fashioned western action like animal attacks, chasing, rock throwing, rifles and gun shots, injuries of both humans and animals. Language isn't a problem, very very mild flirting between kids and no smoking. Just good clean fun and good role models. Have plenty of kleenex on hand, you will definitely need it!!! OK for the 7+ crowd.
Kid, 12 years old November 25, 2012

old yeller

this was such a good movie. i loved it. but i think you should read the book before you watch the movie. thats what i did. old yeller is a great movie for youngsters or people that just love dogs
Parent Written byDaddyRobert63791 October 20, 2011

REEAD

please let your kids see this it will help them learn a few leasons about normal life of way back when and now also the future u are doing a good thing to let then watch this movie good choice byeeee
Adult Written byRavenFilmsAndReviews December 28, 2011

good for children over 7 years of age

Despite the tragedy near the end the film deals with themes of loss, loyalty, friendship, courage etc. The film ends on a rather happy note where Travis is given a new puppy suggesting that loss and death are not the end. Young children who have not been exposed to death may be confused as to why Travis is forced to shoot his dog. Additionally this decision by Travis can translate doing the right thing even when it's the hard thing to do
Teen, 13 years old Written byowleyes1316 September 1, 2016

Sad but good

As you probably already know, a boy shoots his dog because it has rabies. You can draw your own conclusions from that.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Adult Written bySapphire19 February 28, 2015

One of My Favorites

This is an old favorite of mine. The ending is definitely sad, and I still cry. But emotion is what makes a good story, and it a great film/book. Even as a kid I thought it was a beautiful tale. However it was a story and I didn't expect any such thing to happen in my life. After all I was a city kid.