All member reviews for Once

Sweet, romantic musical hits all the right notes.

Adult Written bykra June 29, 2009

Way too much cussing, otherwise great!

I really, really liked this movie. The language was an extreme disappointment, F this, F that. But, really, that's all there was that was objectionable in the movie for me. There's a little drinking and such, but not over the top or anything. There's one guy who's strung out on heroin or something, but you don't see him doing it and they certainly don't make it look glamorous. Overall, the movie I think had a positive message about the sanctity of friendship and marriage. And some great music as well! I'm not even in to the style of music in the movie and I'm planning on buying the soundtrack. I don't think kids should see it with all the cussing (do kids really need to experience that?), but if you're able to get past a million and one F-bombs, this is a pretty solid movie. I suspect my wife and I will buy it.
Adult Written byatleast April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybarb42 April 9, 2008

A Classic--Don't miss it!

This was a lovely experience, and so suitable! Another reviewer said the Ratings Board members should suffer eternal punishment for giving this film an "R" rating. I agree. This film is incredibly suitable, as well as being OUTSTANDING. The ONLY reason it's rated "R" is the use of the F word, usually as an adjective, i.e. "That's F-ing fantastic!" I was worried about taking my 12 yr old to an R movie--no need! I wasn't embarassed, not once--except when I bought the tickets!
Teen, 14 years old Written bytrebleclefjordan April 9, 2008

wonderful movie

This is a fantastic movie for everyone, and kids should definitely be allowed to see it. Trust me parents, they've heard this language already and it's not going to hurt them if they hear it 10 times in this movie. Once is one of the best movies of the year.
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bycatrambone April 9, 2008

An Engaging Musical

If your hung up on foul language you might want to screen this first and decide for yourself if it's appropriate for your kids. I,for own, am not bothered by the f word and don't try to shield my kids from it. I think the good messages and the love and art of creating music displayed by this picture far outweigh a few f bombs.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul 2.0;... April 9, 2008

Beautiful

The most achingly beautiful film I have seen for some time. This is undoubtedly tied for my absolute favorite films of all time, along with American Beauty, Pan's Labyrinth, and some others (I'm a rather indecisive person when it comes to my favorite movie). The just plain simplicity and beauty in the film is amazing, and the songs are hauntingly mesmerizing, especially "Falling Away". With that one song the movie moved me more than any other movie ever has, and watching the two characters put it together quite possibly the highlight of the film. In all seriousness, you MUST see this film.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysummersunshine_418 April 9, 2008

A really beautiful film.

I don't even know where to begin. This movie was extremely touching and so...real. The music is incredible and really heartfelt, and it would be a shame if you haven't seen it yet.
Parent of a 10, 13, and 15 year old Written bynotwatchingthat October 2, 2013

Single Man and Married Women..Not Okay.

I'm not only shocked, but extremely disappointed that Common Sense Media would give this movie a four star rating. I'm equally disgusted by the age appropriate suggestion! "...the positive message about love and emotional connection...", are you kidding me? The women is married; does that not matter to anyone out there? The entire movie is about a single man advancing toward a married women, and a married women advancing toward a single man-and everyone is cool with this? And you(Common Sense Media) describe it as: 'sweet' and 'romantic' and as 'hitting all the right notes'? Appropriate for a thirteen year old? What?! A storyline like this one isn't appropriate for an adult let alone OUR CHILDREN. Common Sense??, I'm not seeing it. I think it's time you change your name.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymymembername July 24, 2012

Falling Quickly... For "Once"

As a musician and a lover of films and contemporary musicals, I found this movie to be incredibly heartwarming. It's a love story where the two leads maintain a respectful, appropriate on-screen relationship. The music itself is incredibly good and is so well-woven into the storyline, and sung with so much passion and warmth. It truly blows me away every time. What also blew me away was the incredible acting, done by Glen Hansard (as Guy) and Markéta Irglová (as Girl). What blew me away even more was that they were not experienced nor professional actors. Their scenes together have so much realism, it's like you're watching an actual relationship. I think it would be very educational for teenagers who are interested in seeing an example of a healthy adult relationship, not only that but one that they would want to have. I'm going to name the two tensest scenes in the movie: 1) The opening scene where a drug-addict attempts to rob Hansard's character, and 2) a tender moment between Hansard and Irglová's characters that quickly becomes uncomfortable when the well-meaning Guy rushes things too quickly. Regarding the profane language, I feel that it is not always the words that are too heavy, as it is the situation and the actors' take on the scene and the dialogue. We're dealing with some very emotional moments here, which may cause some confusion and discomfort to younger viewers who have not yet been heavily exposed to those kinds of situations (in regards to the two scenes previously mentioned). This movie is a true gem, and should be watched by anyone who might find this movie interesting or relatable. One of my favorite films.
Adult Written bygoldbergfriend3 April 9, 2008

A must see for every one ten yers old and up

This movie was like a breath of fresh air. More than entertainmen with its moving theme and refreshingly convincing characters, it showed how cinema could createsomething akin to a magical experience of "dropping in" to someone else's life and enjoying the time spent there1 The songs written by the characters were so good we can't wait for the release of both a DVD and a CD!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byTreyMcCabe June 23, 2015

Beautiful Movie

This movie is fantastic. The only bad thing is the language, but most viewers probably hear this much on a daily basis. Although it's kind of weird how they only use f--k. But aside from that nitpick, the language isn't too bothersome. The music is really moving, too, as Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova aren't actors by trade, they're musicians, but that's not to say they can't act. The only thing that's really left is the fact that a married woman and an unmarried man( her husband live away from her and their daughter) have brief moments of flirtation. Apparently, one of the parent reviewers was really bothered by this. I guess they reached the conclusion that this movie encouraged extramarital romance and/or cheating. But that's not the case, and I'll tell you why: At the end of the film(minor spoiler), the girl's husband moves back with his wife and daughter, and they try again to make their marriage work. And Begin Again has a similar story, so I get the vibe that John Carney, the director of both films, gives the message that if it wasn't working before, you weren't trying. And if you happen to meet a girl/guy you're attracted to while you're married, it's okay because you can just be friends. That's my two cents on the subject, anyway. I highly recommend this to any music loving-teens and their parents to watch, and if you end up watching it and loving it, I also recommend that you watch Begin Again, John Carney's other film.
Adult Written bytolkien geek mi April 22, 2015

Truly Beautiful

When my parents told me I needed to watch this movie they predicated it with...it is rated R...but... It's beautiful. The R rating is exclusively or language. Which comes in spurts and is severe. The opening scene is the worst, and I did stop watching initially. But it was well worth it. Hansard and Irglova are a beautiful couple. There is almost no sexual content. One mention of "hanky panky" and one offer of simply "would you like to stay?" (which is refused) The story is lovely and the music is wonderful and the filming, though avant garde, is fascinating. Highly recommended.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byValdoria September 28, 2012

Breath of fresh air

Great movie, slow going, lets you enjoy the little things. Does not exploit or sexually object women so you can relax and enjoy with your boyfriend without feeling awkward or having women's body parts shoved down your throat.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWilliam C. February 1, 2011

It's called 'Once' because you can only watch it once ...

Totally CRAP! It was so boring and all the songs sounded the same.... Maybe they were all the same songs.... Don't know.... I have no idea how it won so many awards!
Teen, 14 years old Written byearthgurl January 21, 2011

Shouldn't be R!

More PG-13 than R, just a lot of language. Pretty good, kind of boring for teens at times.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCrazyNachoFreak October 28, 2010

17 and older only!!!

I'm 14 and i'm not able to watch this movie. Waaayyy to much language dropping the f bomb a whole lot. I'm just going off what my parents have told me hear but i can tell that it is deffinatly Not appropriate.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTotally500 October 16, 2010

A Music Film that hits the right notes

That was a great film. The music was great i was like "Wow" My favorite in this movie is Falling Slowly. Lots of F-bombs but thats about it
Written byAnonymous July 13, 2010

One of the mest romances of all time!

This unique exploration of REAL LIFE with beautiful music is surprisingly fresh. No movie of this genre has ever successfully made a real love story out of real life. THe music is very simplstic, and it never feels boring. There are many very emotional moments that can tend to hit you when you're not expecting. This movie only has one sexual reference ("hanky-panky"), but it deserves its R rating. In the beginning, the 'F' word is dropped pervasively and occasionally slows down. The 'S' word is used once or twice in a song lyric as well. BUT THE MUSIC IS BEAUTIFUL! ALso, there is a brief shot of the main character pretending to smoke from an empty hookah, but again, it is empty. Love can be confusing, and sometimes anger-inducing, but it will always come to fruition... or will it? Watch the movie to figure out. The vocals are spotless, the instrumentation is well-done, the acting is immaculate, and it make for a one-of-a-kind success. Recommended for re-watching many times. 5 STARS.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMr581 July 27, 2009