All member reviews for Oz the Great and Powerful

Colorful prequel is scarier, less magical than the original.

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byMommyBKnowsBest March 8, 2013

Great for Date Night, leave the Kiddos at home

In my opinion I don’t think this movie is a family-friendly movie, especially if you have small children. There were a few “scary” parts in the movie including the witch’s minions who reminded me of huge, rabid gorillas, the witches themselves {excluding Glinda of course}, some scenes that involve people being hurt, and my children would have even been afraid of the tornado. We are very selective in what our 2 and 5 year old watch and they are also children who are sensitive to villains and “bad things” happening in movies. I tried to think about what age range my girls would have to be for me to show them this movie, and I thought 10-12 years old, depending on their maturity would be the lowest age.
Parent Written byShivom Oza March 7, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – Ordinary and Weak

‘Oz the Great and Powerful’, which is a prequel to L. Frank Baum's 1900 novel ‘The Wonderful Wizard of Oz’, and also an unofficial prequel to the 1939 film ‘The Wizard of Oz’, is about a small-time magician, Oscar Diggs/Wizard of Oz, who arrives in an enchanted land and is expected to save it from the ‘wicked’ witches. The supposedly ‘great’ and ‘powerful’ turns out to be ordinary and weak. The film begins on a promising note, with charming black and white visuals, witty dialogue writing and a nice setting of the basic premise. However, the film soon finds itself in a quandary, owing to its duration (2 hours 10 minutes). Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with a dubious reputation, is hurled away in a hot air balloon from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz. At this enchanted land, he encounters three witches Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams). As the lone hope of the trouble-struck people of Oz, Oscar, the newly anointed Wizard must find out who is good and who is evil before time runs out. The film has brilliant visuals. The way the transformation from the black and white visuals of Kansas to the vibrant ‘Land of Oz’ takes place, is highly praiseworthy. The performances are not quite top-notch. At times, the lead actors do end up looking a bit like caricatures. The biggest let-down of the film is the sluggish screenplay. The 3D too, flatters to deceive. Even kids may not find this fare too entertaining. The film doesn’t live up to its name! Shivom Oza
Teen, 15 years old Written byBooks rule March 8, 2013

Amazing!

I really enjoyed this movie. Violence is moderate. Mostly, it's just people threatening and scaring others and there is no blood. I saw it in 3-D and it wasn't like the other movies that have no 3-D effect at all. There are parts in 3-D that I think really enhance the movie experience. A must see if you are fans of the The Wizard of Oz or if your'e just looking for a good, exciting movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydoodlebuggy(: March 8, 2013

Good movie, but NOT for young kids!

"Some scenes may be intense for some kids" is am understatement. There are many "pop-up" scenes with the scary faces of the Wicked Witch and the freaky flying monkeys! I'm 15 and I was cowering over the popout scenes (the 3D makes it more intense!!). Bottom line, don't bring any kids younger than 10, because I promise you they will freak out! Oz also has a tendency to seduce all the women he meets. There is a sort of parallel universe, so I liked how Oz learned his lesson through it. Overall, it was a pretty decent movie for older kids..it was an interesting tale on the original!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bypuppupspapa March 8, 2013

too frightening for toddlers

My 3 year old son who loves the original movie got very frightened by this new movie. We took him and had to leave the theater mid way through. The new monkeys are a steroided version of the original monkeys. What was scary? The movie has quick startling scenes placed in a foggy darkness that looks like a graveyard where things jump out at you with eerie music playing and loud explosive sound effects. Scenes designed to startle and shock you similar to a horror film. Other uncomfortable visual effects as well such as dangerous looking plants biting at you in a warped first person perspective
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2013

This movie is correctly rated pg it has, moderate fantasy violence and threat Also mild Language
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written byaliric March 8, 2013

Very enjoyable as a modern day family movie if you don't compare it to original!

If you're not trying to compare it to the original I think it was very entertaining! I would be more inclined to compare it to Enchanted. I have almost 10 year old boy/girl twins who loved it! I am usually conservative when it comes to violence and felt that this was more fantasy violence that this age group can discern between more realistic violence. Humor for the adults made it even more enjoyable. I particularly liked the china doll as every parent can identify dealing with sassy independence one moment, then a clingy or loving child the next. We really liked it and felt if was so much better than all the movies with the potty humor these days!
Parent Written byLSU Mom March 9, 2013

Another Instant Classic

Great family movie with a modicum of violence, mostly natural (tornado). The original Wizard of Oz was written by Frank Baum at the turn of the 20th century to relate a complicated series of political events to children on a level they could understand. When it was made into a movie in the 30s, it was embraced as an instant classic. I'm not sure it's fair to compare the original with this prequel (or with "Wicked") as apples to apples. After being exposed to "Wicked" (which provides detail of the witches' lives prior to "The Wizard of Oz") I frankly think this latest effort is much more true to the original's intent of catering to children. Oz the Great and Powerful lovingly fills in gaps and illuminates features of the original without being condescending or age-inappropriate. The 30s' movie adaptation was also considered a bit frightening for its time, and Oz follows that pattern. Oz is as faithful in feel, story, and character to Frank Baum's original vision as any effort could have been, and it deserves to also become a classic.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAidens_Mommy March 10, 2013

Beautiful and magical... a classic, for sure!

My husband and I took our six year old to see this tonight in 3D and we all loved it. I don't know about the 2D version, but the 3D version was so beautiful it took my breath a few times. There were three or four times that my son jumped or hid his face, but since it is a new movie I won't give any details. While it isn't really scary, it is very dramatic in some parts and it took my son by surprise on several occasions. There were a couple of times I thought that Mila Kunis could have had more clothes on top, but I don't think it would be too obvious to a child. I do recall hearing "da*n" once, maybe twice, but nothing more serious than that. The entire cast did a wonderful job here but Finly the monkey and China Girl will win your heart for sure, and Michelle Williams really stood out in her roles as Annie/Glinda.. Overall this movie was a positive one that we will probably return to the theater to see again and will certainly be adding to our blu-ray collection! I recommend seeing it in 3D, it really is spectacular.
Parent of a 9, 9, and 15 year old Written byginaanita March 13, 2013

Oz can't "keep it in his pants"- definitely not for our kids!

This is a horrible movie that is not for kids. Oz, our "hero" is a shallow womanizer- what an embarrassment. The wicked witch turns wicked because Oz sleeps with her sister!!!!! I am dumbfounded! Can Hollywood not come up with a good reason for a man to want to be a better man? Or a witch to be evil? Are we all out of good story lines that our kids can look up to? Do NOT take your kids to this boring embarrassment of a movie.
Parent Written byDan G. March 12, 2013

Intense situations and sexual theme make this for older children

A fairly good movie, but a few unacceptable things make it a non-family movie for younger children. 1. The main character is a user and abuser of women. He constantly seduces women and then leaves them, all as part of his lifestyle. His accidental departure from Kansas is the result of him running from one of these situations. 2. This movie is more frightening than the original. Special effects have come a long way. The evil characters can be quite scary for young children. 3. Some mild language, like 'Oh, God'. When God doesn't seem to be the person they are really addressing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOMGCatXD March 25, 2013

Magnifique, Stunning!

To be honest, they do say "D@mn" twice, Have kissing (but really, who cares?) and some really scary and loud pop-up magic and monkeys. It has really good lessons, to never give up, and you can make the impossible possible. The animation was amazing and believable! It was pretty long though, so I looked at my watch a few times, I don't think I'll ever forget the scenes, Also, It was hard to keep up with, the witch thing was very confusing and it went all too fast. It was good that it was unpredictable, because if it was predictable, I wouldn't watch, The beautiful magic with the bubbles and flowers blooming was BEAUTIFUL! All that color and imagination, Im gonna take off a star because it was pretty long, confusing, and went too fast. I think you should watch this! Its an appropriate re-make, although completely different!
Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2013

Raimi's Vision of Oz

Sam Raimi directed the Spider-Man trilogy, but also Drag Me to Hell. I heard that was a really creepy movie and it featured a scary old lady. So now Raimi, while still putting the magical and whimsical world of Oz, makes this film seem not like a family film. There are jump scenes galore in this film. I'm not a fan of jump scenes in movies, so yeah. I was not expecting this many jump scenes, especially in a PG film or a Disney family film. There were like 7 or 8. Warning: There's like 2 even in the black and white (and different aspect ratio) part of the film. Back to the review. Raimi makes this film a visual wonder. He has a created a huge open world film, which is very large in scope. The visual effects and CGI are brilliant. All the creatures and stuff in Oz, it's just amazing. I especially enjoyed the special effects for the china girl, because of the fantastic ability to express so many emotions on the china girl. It was amazing. However, the acting is flat out terrible. I know loads of people liked Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams in this film, but everybody in this film seemed awkward to me and it wasn't good enough. Mila Kunis is a disaster. I mean who the heck decided to cast her into this film?! She is terrible in this film. I like Mila Kunis' acting in other films, but she was just disastrous in this role. Anyways, this movie is one of the most predictable movies I have ever seen before. The elementary school kids will be surprised, but whoever's older than that will just simply groan. In the film, the Wicked Witch of the West says, "How predictable." And I was like, "Dude, this whole freaking movie is predictable!" Now onto the 3D review. So, Raimi made maximum use of 3D in the first hour in the movie, then kinda forgot about it in the middle, then said, "Oh yeah! I forgot sorry this movie is supposed to be in 3D!" When the 3D is in use, it's really good. Things pop out at you a lot, and there is also a lot of depth behind the screen. Make sure to watch this in 3D! Now, onto the parental review. There were positive messages and role models. Glinda is a positive role model. Oz learns not to be selfish and bad and turns good in the end (predictable). There is not much violence, but a lot of peril since we're in Raimi's world of Oz. There is peril throughout the movie, so I'll just say that kids will maybe have nightmares after watching this. The Wicked Witch of the West has always caused my nightmares when I was a young child. Because of her, I'm sorry to say I despised the Wizard of Oz. In this movie, the Wicked Witch of the West is less creepier (I don't know if it's just because I'm much older now). She never really does anything. All she does is: THROWS FIREBALLS AT PEOPLE, WANTS THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD TO BE STAINED WITH BLOOD, HAVE NO MERCY ON THE GOOD GUYS, KILL OZ, ETC. (If you think I'm crazy right now, hint: I'm being sarcastic, all right?) Sexual content is mild. Oz seduces all the beautiful women he meets, and this is actually the cause for the Wicked Witch of the West. In one scene, Oz says d**n 2 times. Consumerism is pretty strong. I walk into Disney stores, and there are lots of Oz the Great and Powerful dolls and everything. There's no product placement in the movie, though. For drinking, I do remember a clown drinking during one of the Kansas scenes. Overall, I don't know if you should bring your elementary school kids. It actually depends on their sensitivity to handle the frightening elements depicted in this movie. THIS IS DEFINITELY STRONG FOR A PG MOVIE. I was frankly disappointed with this movie, but lots of people had a blast at my IMAX 3D showing. You know what, watch it. After all, it's the first big movie of 2013!
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 March 10, 2013

Beautiful looking...but why Franco?

As you've probably heard both Downey Jr. and Depp were asked for this role, so Raimi went with his "Spider-Man" pal Franco for the pick and...well, he's not as flat as he was in the Oscars. I loved Zach Braff's role as an adorable monkey-servant, and the gorgeous trio of actresses that play the witches brought up a strong female supporting cast. Altogether Oscar-worthy visuals, but the titular character was lacking for me.
Parent Written bydrrandy March 16, 2013

ADULT THEMES, NOT FOR KIDS!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, though some of the acting (esp. Franco's) was a bit stiff. However, I DO NOT see this as a kid's movie. It has some VERY adult themes involving sexuality, betrayal, duplicity. As for the age, it will vary based on how mature your child is. I don't think I will take my 12 yo daughter to see it but many 12 yo's will handle it... I have not seen any of the other reviewers mention what I think is the most disturbing and frightening aspect of this film. HERE COMES A BIG SPOILER ALERT, so PLEASE DO NOT READ if you have not seen this yet and don't want very key plot elements ruined for you: someone who is the embodiment of goodness who the kids will love transforms into the embodiment of evil ( a bit like Anakin Skywalker's transformation to Darth Vader, but you are well-prepared for that by the time it happens and already know of his eventual reformation). Yes, the visual depiction of her transformation is pretty darn scary, but it is the actual fact of her transformation that is the scariest aspect. I think this will be psychologically very disturbing for many children- heck, it still disturbs me. So the happy ending is not fully happy because something tragic has occurred....
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE March 11, 2013

Oz is Stupid and somewhat Scary

I was SO excited to see this movie and I thought it was going to be awesome. Turns out it was HORRIBLE and it was a huge waste of 2 hours and 30 minutes. This movie contains several dark and intense scenes that upset me and I'm 13. There are several "jump" scenes that nearly gave me a heart attack. The wicked witch's baboon minions are terrifying with their scary faces and their ear piercing screams. There are several scenes in which the wicked witch and her baboons kill many people and its mostly shown. There are also several kissing scene. Overall do not go see this movie. Its very violent and disappointing and will disturb many younger kids.
Kid, 9 years old March 12, 2013

The truth!

So if you are reading this review you going to understand .the truth is that commonsence and their bloggers are to over protective .how would give this 3 stars and then you say it's a waste of time.the wizard of oz was wack. This movie is mtch better and the blogger who said ages 13 oh is way over over over protective.disney is the best magical movie s ever .this movie is not for teenagers its for every one including toddlers this movie is the best movie in the world if yo get it in 3d version it will feel like your seat is flipping. Oz the great and powerful is great and powerful .but one scary scene when evenoras necklace comes off and she looks like a monsterus evil witch.i been knew that evenoras the wiked witch even before the movie because every Thursday in my class we get a kids magazine call story -works and in that we read about this and and found out she was the wiked witch . But still it's a great movie.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySymezcat March 18, 2013

Talk to your kid before they watch

My daughter, age 6, was going to see this with her camp on march break. I read these reviews and got a little worried. I spoke to my daughter about the movie in detail and showed her the review on this site that talked about the scary parts. She was then ready and felt ok with the movie. After she saw it, she said it wasn't very scary, and believe me, she gets scared. Preparing her for the movie ahead of time worked well and the only part she was not so keen on was the fire stuff. So my suggestion for if you have a younger viewer, talk to them about it first, so they can prep for it and discuss their feelings after wards.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bynyc-mom March 17, 2013

We Loved this Movie!!

My near four year old cried because the ending was so touching. My son, 6, thought this movie was far better than the original. My husband and I could not agree more. We watched the original together before watching Oz the Great and Powerful. We were absolutely captivated and transported into this prequel right from the beginning. We loved how imagery and icons from the original were expertly weaved into this prequel. The Wizard was perfectly casted especially with the original in mind for juxtaposition. In the original, you knew there was something off and artificial about the Wizard and in the prequel they brought that to life. The three witches and not knowing who was good and who was bad added for a nice twist in the beginning and kept you wondering about a redemptive moment in the end. The acting was solid no breaks and very well written. We loved this movie and hope there will be more to discover in future prequels and maybe even a sequel.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bySGDad March 11, 2013

Nothing Great about Oz the great and powerful...honestly nothing.

The film never gets moving, its slow to start and doesn't pick up speed. Your kids might enjoy some of the colorful imagery, but parents will soon be asleep. I've seen so many of kids movies with little ones, and this was nearly at the bottom of the pile for entertainment value. The special effects AREN"T great, regardless of what others have said, James Franco puts on a meager performance (far less than he is capable of), Mila Kunis is a terrible actress. Not once did she capture mind share in this film. Only Michelle Williams performance was palatable. I wanted to love this film and kept waiting for that one moment that made it all worth while. When the credits began to roll, I was still waiting...but thankful to be able to leave the theater.