All member reviews for Oz the Great and Powerful

Colorful prequel is scarier, less magical than the original.

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byMommyBKnowsBest March 8, 2013

Great for Date Night, leave the Kiddos at home

In my opinion I don’t think this movie is a family-friendly movie, especially if you have small children. There were a few “scary” parts in the movie including the witch’s minions who reminded me of huge, rabid gorillas, the witches themselves {excluding Glinda of course}, some scenes that involve people being hurt, and my children would have even been afraid of the tornado. We are very selective in what our 2 and 5 year old watch and they are also children who are sensitive to villains and “bad things” happening in movies. I tried to think about what age range my girls would have to be for me to show them this movie, and I thought 10-12 years old, depending on their maturity would be the lowest age.
Parent Written byShivom Oza March 7, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – Ordinary and Weak

‘Oz the Great and Powerful’, which is a prequel to L. Frank Baum's 1900 novel ‘The Wonderful Wizard of Oz’, and also an unofficial prequel to the 1939 film ‘The Wizard of Oz’, is about a small-time magician, Oscar Diggs/Wizard of Oz, who arrives in an enchanted land and is expected to save it from the ‘wicked’ witches. The supposedly ‘great’ and ‘powerful’ turns out to be ordinary and weak. The film begins on a promising note, with charming black and white visuals, witty dialogue writing and a nice setting of the basic premise. However, the film soon finds itself in a quandary, owing to its duration (2 hours 10 minutes). Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with a dubious reputation, is hurled away in a hot air balloon from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz. At this enchanted land, he encounters three witches Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams). As the lone hope of the trouble-struck people of Oz, Oscar, the newly anointed Wizard must find out who is good and who is evil before time runs out. The film has brilliant visuals. The way the transformation from the black and white visuals of Kansas to the vibrant ‘Land of Oz’ takes place, is highly praiseworthy. The performances are not quite top-notch. At times, the lead actors do end up looking a bit like caricatures. The biggest let-down of the film is the sluggish screenplay. The 3D too, flatters to deceive. Even kids may not find this fare too entertaining. The film doesn’t live up to its name! Shivom Oza
Teen, 15 years old Written byBooks rule March 8, 2013

Amazing!

I really enjoyed this movie. Violence is moderate. Mostly, it's just people threatening and scaring others and there is no blood. I saw it in 3-D and it wasn't like the other movies that have no 3-D effect at all. There are parts in 3-D that I think really enhance the movie experience. A must see if you are fans of the The Wizard of Oz or if your'e just looking for a good, exciting movie.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bypuppupspapa March 8, 2013

too frightening for toddlers

My 3 year old son who loves the original movie got very frightened by this new movie. We took him and had to leave the theater mid way through. The new monkeys are a steroided version of the original monkeys. What was scary? The movie has quick startling scenes placed in a foggy darkness that looks like a graveyard where things jump out at you with eerie music playing and loud explosive sound effects. Scenes designed to startle and shock you similar to a horror film. Other uncomfortable visual effects as well such as dangerous looking plants biting at you in a warped first person perspective
Teen, 15 years old Written bydoodlebuggy(: March 8, 2013

Good movie, but NOT for young kids!

"Some scenes may be intense for some kids" is am understatement. There are many "pop-up" scenes with the scary faces of the Wicked Witch and the freaky flying monkeys! I'm 15 and I was cowering over the popout scenes (the 3D makes it more intense!!). Bottom line, don't bring any kids younger than 10, because I promise you they will freak out! Oz also has a tendency to seduce all the women he meets. There is a sort of parallel universe, so I liked how Oz learned his lesson through it. Overall, it was a pretty decent movie for older kids..it was an interesting tale on the original!
Educator and Parent Written byCafe Momma March 29, 2013

Nicely done, but it wasn't made for little people.

I took my 13 year old to see it, uncertain of what to expect. Knowing the original movie, I never would have taken my 4 year old. I feel even the original has too many dark and scary scenes, but this one, with advance in technology would be too realistic for her. My 10 yo old would like to see it, and I feel it would definitely be appropriate for her to see. I teach first grade, and a few of my students stated that it was scary, and I can see why it would be to them. It never was to my daughter or myself. I thought it had a slow beginning, but quickly came together and I found myself piecing it to The Wizard of Oz. I feel they did a splendid job marrying the two with this prequel.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Euphoric User March 21, 2013

Clearly, not everybody thinks hard about the plot and it annoys me.

This prequel to the original Wizard of Oz is very beautiful and well directed. Though the thing is you have to think about the things happening around Oz. Remember when in the book the scarecrow, lion, and tin man were all asking wishes to the Wizard of Oz? Oz said that each one of them had what the three characters desired, they just didn't believe that they had one of their own. China girl (ugh, I hate spoiling) asked Oz in the movie if she could have her family back after being raided and killed by their enemy's army of what looked like flying baboons. Oz said he couldn't grant her wish because from the real world where he first came from there weren't any wizards who granted wishes and just acted as saviors for people. Though... Well! Think about it. I say such spoilers and this is just a sample from my newly-published Oz the Great and Powerful: Guide to Understanding the Movie. :P Nah, sorry for the worthless review. To finish this is a worth-watching movie, but as I just said, you need the brains to think what is happening in the movie to understand it a whole lot better.
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2013

This movie is correctly rated pg it has, moderate fantasy violence and threat Also mild Language
Parent Written byKarmaCat March 17, 2013

Not for the youngest crowd, but GREAT for adults and older kids!

I had no idea what to expect from Oz the Great and Powerful, but I knew from the previews that it would probably be too intense for my 7-year-old, who is very sensitive to movie violence and doesn't deal well with suspense. But my 8 (almost 9) year old wanted to see it, and so did I, so the two of us went together. I must say, this movie was surprisingly wonderful to watch. The sheer beauty of the special effects was awesome, and the storyline was full of twists and turns that kept things interesting... and the characters were well developed, funny, even endearing. I also loved the overall message, and trust me, I'm quite the critic when it comes to kids' movies and negative ideas being communicated. I think Oz actually has something worthwhile to say. My 8-year-old absolutely adored the movie, and while there were some parts that were very suspenseful and surprising (like a man-eating plant leaping out of nowhere, a rabid flying monkey appearing suddenly out of dense fog, etc.), it really wasn't a scary movie overall, aside from the fact that the wicked witch really does look and act--well, WICKED. But hopefully that won't be a surprise to anyone who knows anything about the Wizard of Oz before going into the theater. The violence in the movie is all in the realm of fantasy/magical violence (evil spells, blasts from magic wands, electric jolts from a witch's fingers, etc.), which doesn't easily translate into real-life nightmares for my own kids, so I didn't consider it to be a deal-breaker. There are a couple of places early in the movie when Oz utters the word "d*mn," which I found to be completely unnecessary, and he also kisses a few different women throughout the movie, which I also found to be rather unnecessary since the plot would have been just fine without the "womanizer" angle, but... overall, I think it was a really great film, and I'd definitely recommend it for kids 8 and up. Any younger than that, and you may have some issues, especially if you have sensitive kids who don't deal well with suspense and sharp-toothed rabid baboons flying through the air in a massive swarm.
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written byaliric March 8, 2013

Very enjoyable as a modern day family movie if you don't compare it to original!

If you're not trying to compare it to the original I think it was very entertaining! I would be more inclined to compare it to Enchanted. I have almost 10 year old boy/girl twins who loved it! I am usually conservative when it comes to violence and felt that this was more fantasy violence that this age group can discern between more realistic violence. Humor for the adults made it even more enjoyable. I particularly liked the china doll as every parent can identify dealing with sassy independence one moment, then a clingy or loving child the next. We really liked it and felt if was so much better than all the movies with the potty humor these days!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAndreag365 June 21, 2013

Exciting, beautiful, fun, thrilling.

We rented this movie for our 6 year old daughter. She has seen the original, which I personally think is creepier than this one, it did scare her some but in all I think it helped prepare her for what to expect in this one. She loved it! She "jumped" in surprise on a couple parts, which just gave me an excuse to cuddle her ;) She loved seeing the characters and how they came to be before Dorothy, as did I. It has a positive ending and in the end Oz does what is best for the people and helps them. There are a few kissing scenes, which will be no big deal if your child has ever seen a kissing scene before (were not talking r rated, its very fairy tale-esque kissing), like in any of your older princess movies. I read in the reveiws where the word d@mn was used twice, I'm embarred to say we didn't notice, but if we didn't notice then I know my daughter didn't (and she picks up on those things). Every child is different in respect to what they can handle, so I suggest to any parent who questions whether or not to let their young child watch it to go out and rent it and watch it yourself first to determine if you feel it is appropriate enough for your family.
Teen, 13 years old Written by18mlove March 20, 2013

Oz: The great and powerful review

This is a good movie. Just don't be scared of the witch.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySymezcat March 18, 2013

Talk to your kid before they watch

My daughter, age 6, was going to see this with her camp on march break. I read these reviews and got a little worried. I spoke to my daughter about the movie in detail and showed her the review on this site that talked about the scary parts. She was then ready and felt ok with the movie. After she saw it, she said it wasn't very scary, and believe me, she gets scared. Preparing her for the movie ahead of time worked well and the only part she was not so keen on was the fire stuff. So my suggestion for if you have a younger viewer, talk to them about it first, so they can prep for it and discuss their feelings after wards.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bynyc-mom March 17, 2013

We Loved this Movie!!

My near four year old cried because the ending was so touching. My son, 6, thought this movie was far better than the original. My husband and I could not agree more. We watched the original together before watching Oz the Great and Powerful. We were absolutely captivated and transported into this prequel right from the beginning. We loved how imagery and icons from the original were expertly weaved into this prequel. The Wizard was perfectly casted especially with the original in mind for juxtaposition. In the original, you knew there was something off and artificial about the Wizard and in the prequel they brought that to life. The three witches and not knowing who was good and who was bad added for a nice twist in the beginning and kept you wondering about a redemptive moment in the end. The acting was solid no breaks and very well written. We loved this movie and hope there will be more to discover in future prequels and maybe even a sequel.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur March 21, 2013

great movie :)

oz the great and powerful was awesome, it was a great mix of action, humor, suspense, and cool special effects, anyone who likes fantasy flicks will enjoy this one, and the flying monkeys looked crazed this time lol
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg March 15, 2013

Harmless Fun worse than the Classic and No Good Messages

me and my friend ( we are both twelve) went to go watch this the other weekend. This version is scarier than the classic version of the Wizard of Oz and I agree that it is less magical. I am also not warming up to the idea that Dorothy is a grown up male. WHYYY?????? Also, I do not agree on GOOD ROLE MODELS because my teacher pointed out at school how that the only lesson this movie teaches you is that it is OK to lie and you will still have a happy ending!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAidens_Mommy March 10, 2013

Beautiful and magical... a classic, for sure!

My husband and I took our six year old to see this tonight in 3D and we all loved it. I don't know about the 2D version, but the 3D version was so beautiful it took my breath a few times. There were three or four times that my son jumped or hid his face, but since it is a new movie I won't give any details. While it isn't really scary, it is very dramatic in some parts and it took my son by surprise on several occasions. There were a couple of times I thought that Mila Kunis could have had more clothes on top, but I don't think it would be too obvious to a child. I do recall hearing "da*n" once, maybe twice, but nothing more serious than that. The entire cast did a wonderful job here but Finly the monkey and China Girl will win your heart for sure, and Michelle Williams really stood out in her roles as Annie/Glinda.. Overall this movie was a positive one that we will probably return to the theater to see again and will certainly be adding to our blu-ray collection! I recommend seeing it in 3D, it really is spectacular.
Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2013

Raimi's Vision of Oz

Sam Raimi directed the Spider-Man trilogy, but also Drag Me to Hell. I heard that was a really creepy movie and it featured a scary old lady. So now Raimi, while still putting the magical and whimsical world of Oz, makes this film seem not like a family film. There are jump scenes galore in this film. I'm not a fan of jump scenes in movies, so yeah. I was not expecting this many jump scenes, especially in a PG film or a Disney family film. There were like 7 or 8. Warning: There's like 2 even in the black and white (and different aspect ratio) part of the film. Back to the review. Raimi makes this film a visual wonder. He has a created a huge open world film, which is very large in scope. The visual effects and CGI are brilliant. All the creatures and stuff in Oz, it's just amazing. I especially enjoyed the special effects for the china girl, because of the fantastic ability to express so many emotions on the china girl. It was amazing. However, the acting is flat out terrible. I know loads of people liked Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams in this film, but everybody in this film seemed awkward to me and it wasn't good enough. Mila Kunis is a disaster. I mean who the heck decided to cast her into this film?! She is terrible in this film. I like Mila Kunis' acting in other films, but she was just disastrous in this role. Anyways, this movie is one of the most predictable movies I have ever seen before. The elementary school kids will be surprised, but whoever's older than that will just simply groan. In the film, the Wicked Witch of the West says, "How predictable." And I was like, "Dude, this whole freaking movie is predictable!" Now onto the 3D review. So, Raimi made maximum use of 3D in the first hour in the movie, then kinda forgot about it in the middle, then said, "Oh yeah! I forgot sorry this movie is supposed to be in 3D!" When the 3D is in use, it's really good. Things pop out at you a lot, and there is also a lot of depth behind the screen. Make sure to watch this in 3D! Now, onto the parental review. There were positive messages and role models. Glinda is a positive role model. Oz learns not to be selfish and bad and turns good in the end (predictable). There is not much violence, but a lot of peril since we're in Raimi's world of Oz. There is peril throughout the movie, so I'll just say that kids will maybe have nightmares after watching this. The Wicked Witch of the West has always caused my nightmares when I was a young child. Because of her, I'm sorry to say I despised the Wizard of Oz. In this movie, the Wicked Witch of the West is less creepier (I don't know if it's just because I'm much older now). She never really does anything. All she does is: THROWS FIREBALLS AT PEOPLE, WANTS THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD TO BE STAINED WITH BLOOD, HAVE NO MERCY ON THE GOOD GUYS, KILL OZ, ETC. (If you think I'm crazy right now, hint: I'm being sarcastic, all right?) Sexual content is mild. Oz seduces all the beautiful women he meets, and this is actually the cause for the Wicked Witch of the West. In one scene, Oz says d**n 2 times. Consumerism is pretty strong. I walk into Disney stores, and there are lots of Oz the Great and Powerful dolls and everything. There's no product placement in the movie, though. For drinking, I do remember a clown drinking during one of the Kansas scenes. Overall, I don't know if you should bring your elementary school kids. It actually depends on their sensitivity to handle the frightening elements depicted in this movie. THIS IS DEFINITELY STRONG FOR A PG MOVIE. I was frankly disappointed with this movie, but lots of people had a blast at my IMAX 3D showing. You know what, watch it. After all, it's the first big movie of 2013!
Parent Written byLSU Mom March 9, 2013

Another Instant Classic

Great family movie with a modicum of violence, mostly natural (tornado). The original Wizard of Oz was written by Frank Baum at the turn of the 20th century to relate a complicated series of political events to children on a level they could understand. When it was made into a movie in the 30s, it was embraced as an instant classic. I'm not sure it's fair to compare the original with this prequel (or with "Wicked") as apples to apples. After being exposed to "Wicked" (which provides detail of the witches' lives prior to "The Wizard of Oz") I frankly think this latest effort is much more true to the original's intent of catering to children. Oz the Great and Powerful lovingly fills in gaps and illuminates features of the original without being condescending or age-inappropriate. The 30s' movie adaptation was also considered a bit frightening for its time, and Oz follows that pattern. Oz is as faithful in feel, story, and character to Frank Baum's original vision as any effort could have been, and it deserves to also become a classic.
Kid, 8 years old July 15, 2013

awesome

for school i and three friends saw this movie.cool.