All member reviews for Oz the Great and Powerful

Colorful prequel is scarier, less magical than the original.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBooks rule March 8, 2013

Amazing!

I really enjoyed this movie. Violence is moderate. Mostly, it's just people threatening and scaring others and there is no blood. I saw it in 3-D and it wasn't like the other movies that have no 3-D effect at all. There are parts in 3-D that I think really enhance the movie experience. A must see if you are fans of the The Wizard of Oz or if your'e just looking for a good, exciting movie.
Parent Written byShivom Oza March 7, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – Ordinary and Weak

‘Oz the Great and Powerful’, which is a prequel to L. Frank Baum's 1900 novel ‘The Wonderful Wizard of Oz’, and also an unofficial prequel to the 1939 film ‘The Wizard of Oz’, is about a small-time magician, Oscar Diggs/Wizard of Oz, who arrives in an enchanted land and is expected to save it from the ‘wicked’ witches. The supposedly ‘great’ and ‘powerful’ turns out to be ordinary and weak. The film begins on a promising note, with charming black and white visuals, witty dialogue writing and a nice setting of the basic premise. However, the film soon finds itself in a quandary, owing to its duration (2 hours 10 minutes). Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with a dubious reputation, is hurled away in a hot air balloon from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz. At this enchanted land, he encounters three witches Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams). As the lone hope of the trouble-struck people of Oz, Oscar, the newly anointed Wizard must find out who is good and who is evil before time runs out. The film has brilliant visuals. The way the transformation from the black and white visuals of Kansas to the vibrant ‘Land of Oz’ takes place, is highly praiseworthy. The performances are not quite top-notch. At times, the lead actors do end up looking a bit like caricatures. The biggest let-down of the film is the sluggish screenplay. The 3D too, flatters to deceive. Even kids may not find this fare too entertaining. The film doesn’t live up to its name! Shivom Oza
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byMommyBKnowsBest March 8, 2013

Great for Date Night, leave the Kiddos at home

In my opinion I don’t think this movie is a family-friendly movie, especially if you have small children. There were a few “scary” parts in the movie including the witch’s minions who reminded me of huge, rabid gorillas, the witches themselves {excluding Glinda of course}, some scenes that involve people being hurt, and my children would have even been afraid of the tornado. We are very selective in what our 2 and 5 year old watch and they are also children who are sensitive to villains and “bad things” happening in movies. I tried to think about what age range my girls would have to be for me to show them this movie, and I thought 10-12 years old, depending on their maturity would be the lowest age.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bylititzmom March 17, 2013

Ok, But Not a Must-See Movie

My kids, 9 & 11, generally enjoyed this movie as an adventure/thriller. They did comment on a few "d*&ns" uttered, which I missed. I watched it because, well, I loved the Wizard of Oz. My 9 year old was very scared of the flying beasts (more scary than what many reviews refer to as mere "gorillas") but just covered her ears and shut her eyes after a while. The story was clever and worked nicely as a prequel. The b&w filming was nice, but when they 1st landed in Oz? Weirdly disappointing... seemed like a B movie. Slow, boring & badly acted till they got to the Emerald City and the story--and acting--picked up. All in all, a decent, but not great movie. Ending was good and redeeming. Overall, this movie is NOT for young kids--in the screening we attended, several children cried and begged to leave once the flying monsters descended, and those remaining in theater when one witch transformed into pure evil completely lost it then...
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2013

This movie is correctly rated pg it has, moderate fantasy violence and threat Also mild Language
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAidens_Mommy March 10, 2013

Beautiful and magical... a classic, for sure!

My husband and I took our six year old to see this tonight in 3D and we all loved it. I don't know about the 2D version, but the 3D version was so beautiful it took my breath a few times. There were three or four times that my son jumped or hid his face, but since it is a new movie I won't give any details. While it isn't really scary, it is very dramatic in some parts and it took my son by surprise on several occasions. There were a couple of times I thought that Mila Kunis could have had more clothes on top, but I don't think it would be too obvious to a child. I do recall hearing "da*n" once, maybe twice, but nothing more serious than that. The entire cast did a wonderful job here but Finly the monkey and China Girl will win your heart for sure, and Michelle Williams really stood out in her roles as Annie/Glinda.. Overall this movie was a positive one that we will probably return to the theater to see again and will certainly be adding to our blu-ray collection! I recommend seeing it in 3D, it really is spectacular.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydoodlebuggy(: March 8, 2013

Good movie, but NOT for young kids!

"Some scenes may be intense for some kids" is am understatement. There are many "pop-up" scenes with the scary faces of the Wicked Witch and the freaky flying monkeys! I'm 15 and I was cowering over the popout scenes (the 3D makes it more intense!!). Bottom line, don't bring any kids younger than 10, because I promise you they will freak out! Oz also has a tendency to seduce all the women he meets. There is a sort of parallel universe, so I liked how Oz learned his lesson through it. Overall, it was a pretty decent movie for older kids..it was an interesting tale on the original!
Educator and Parent Written byCafe Momma March 29, 2013

Nicely done, but it wasn't made for little people.

I took my 13 year old to see it, uncertain of what to expect. Knowing the original movie, I never would have taken my 4 year old. I feel even the original has too many dark and scary scenes, but this one, with advance in technology would be too realistic for her. My 10 yo old would like to see it, and I feel it would definitely be appropriate for her to see. I teach first grade, and a few of my students stated that it was scary, and I can see why it would be to them. It never was to my daughter or myself. I thought it had a slow beginning, but quickly came together and I found myself piecing it to The Wizard of Oz. I feel they did a splendid job marrying the two with this prequel.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Euphoric User March 21, 2013

Clearly, not everybody thinks hard about the plot and it annoys me.

This prequel to the original Wizard of Oz is very beautiful and well directed. Though the thing is you have to think about the things happening around Oz. Remember when in the book the scarecrow, lion, and tin man were all asking wishes to the Wizard of Oz? Oz said that each one of them had what the three characters desired, they just didn't believe that they had one of their own. China girl (ugh, I hate spoiling) asked Oz in the movie if she could have her family back after being raided and killed by their enemy's army of what looked like flying baboons. Oz said he couldn't grant her wish because from the real world where he first came from there weren't any wizards who granted wishes and just acted as saviors for people. Though... Well! Think about it. I say such spoilers and this is just a sample from my newly-published Oz the Great and Powerful: Guide to Understanding the Movie. :P Nah, sorry for the worthless review. To finish this is a worth-watching movie, but as I just said, you need the brains to think what is happening in the movie to understand it a whole lot better.
Parent Written byKarmaCat March 17, 2013

Not for the youngest crowd, but GREAT for adults and older kids!

I had no idea what to expect from Oz the Great and Powerful, but I knew from the previews that it would probably be too intense for my 7-year-old, who is very sensitive to movie violence and doesn't deal well with suspense. But my 8 (almost 9) year old wanted to see it, and so did I, so the two of us went together. I must say, this movie was surprisingly wonderful to watch. The sheer beauty of the special effects was awesome, and the storyline was full of twists and turns that kept things interesting... and the characters were well developed, funny, even endearing. I also loved the overall message, and trust me, I'm quite the critic when it comes to kids' movies and negative ideas being communicated. I think Oz actually has something worthwhile to say. My 8-year-old absolutely adored the movie, and while there were some parts that were very suspenseful and surprising (like a man-eating plant leaping out of nowhere, a rabid flying monkey appearing suddenly out of dense fog, etc.), it really wasn't a scary movie overall, aside from the fact that the wicked witch really does look and act--well, WICKED. But hopefully that won't be a surprise to anyone who knows anything about the Wizard of Oz before going into the theater. The violence in the movie is all in the realm of fantasy/magical violence (evil spells, blasts from magic wands, electric jolts from a witch's fingers, etc.), which doesn't easily translate into real-life nightmares for my own kids, so I didn't consider it to be a deal-breaker. There are a couple of places early in the movie when Oz utters the word "d*mn," which I found to be completely unnecessary, and he also kisses a few different women throughout the movie, which I also found to be rather unnecessary since the plot would have been just fine without the "womanizer" angle, but... overall, I think it was a really great film, and I'd definitely recommend it for kids 8 and up. Any younger than that, and you may have some issues, especially if you have sensitive kids who don't deal well with suspense and sharp-toothed rabid baboons flying through the air in a massive swarm.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg March 15, 2013

Harmless Fun worse than the Classic and No Good Messages

me and my friend ( we are both twelve) went to go watch this the other weekend. This version is scarier than the classic version of the Wizard of Oz and I agree that it is less magical. I am also not warming up to the idea that Dorothy is a grown up male. WHYYY?????? Also, I do not agree on GOOD ROLE MODELS because my teacher pointed out at school how that the only lesson this movie teaches you is that it is OK to lie and you will still have a happy ending!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAndreag365 June 21, 2013

Exciting, beautiful, fun, thrilling.

We rented this movie for our 6 year old daughter. She has seen the original, which I personally think is creepier than this one, it did scare her some but in all I think it helped prepare her for what to expect in this one. She loved it! She "jumped" in surprise on a couple parts, which just gave me an excuse to cuddle her ;) She loved seeing the characters and how they came to be before Dorothy, as did I. It has a positive ending and in the end Oz does what is best for the people and helps them. There are a few kissing scenes, which will be no big deal if your child has ever seen a kissing scene before (were not talking r rated, its very fairy tale-esque kissing), like in any of your older princess movies. I read in the reveiws where the word d@mn was used twice, I'm embarred to say we didn't notice, but if we didn't notice then I know my daughter didn't (and she picks up on those things). Every child is different in respect to what they can handle, so I suggest to any parent who questions whether or not to let their young child watch it to go out and rent it and watch it yourself first to determine if you feel it is appropriate enough for your family.
Kid, 10 years old March 23, 2013

PG-13

This movie may seem like a movie for younger kids but trust me it's more of a middle schooler movie! In the movie there's enough violence to at least become a PG-13 movie but thats not what they rated it. There's no sex, but some kissing and skimpy outfits involved in some scenes!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bynyc-mom March 17, 2013

We Loved this Movie!!

My near four year old cried because the ending was so touching. My son, 6, thought this movie was far better than the original. My husband and I could not agree more. We watched the original together before watching Oz the Great and Powerful. We were absolutely captivated and transported into this prequel right from the beginning. We loved how imagery and icons from the original were expertly weaved into this prequel. The Wizard was perfectly casted especially with the original in mind for juxtaposition. In the original, you knew there was something off and artificial about the Wizard and in the prequel they brought that to life. The three witches and not knowing who was good and who was bad added for a nice twist in the beginning and kept you wondering about a redemptive moment in the end. The acting was solid no breaks and very well written. We loved this movie and hope there will be more to discover in future prequels and maybe even a sequel.
Teen, 13 years old Written by18mlove March 20, 2013

Oz: The great and powerful review

This is a good movie. Just don't be scared of the witch.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySymezcat March 18, 2013

Talk to your kid before they watch

My daughter, age 6, was going to see this with her camp on march break. I read these reviews and got a little worried. I spoke to my daughter about the movie in detail and showed her the review on this site that talked about the scary parts. She was then ready and felt ok with the movie. After she saw it, she said it wasn't very scary, and believe me, she gets scared. Preparing her for the movie ahead of time worked well and the only part she was not so keen on was the fire stuff. So my suggestion for if you have a younger viewer, talk to them about it first, so they can prep for it and discuss their feelings after wards.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bypuppupspapa March 8, 2013

too frightening for toddlers

My 3 year old son who loves the original movie got very frightened by this new movie. We took him and had to leave the theater mid way through. The new monkeys are a steroided version of the original monkeys. What was scary? The movie has quick startling scenes placed in a foggy darkness that looks like a graveyard where things jump out at you with eerie music playing and loud explosive sound effects. Scenes designed to startle and shock you similar to a horror film. Other uncomfortable visual effects as well such as dangerous looking plants biting at you in a warped first person perspective
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written byaliric March 8, 2013

Very enjoyable as a modern day family movie if you don't compare it to original!

If you're not trying to compare it to the original I think it was very entertaining! I would be more inclined to compare it to Enchanted. I have almost 10 year old boy/girl twins who loved it! I am usually conservative when it comes to violence and felt that this was more fantasy violence that this age group can discern between more realistic violence. Humor for the adults made it even more enjoyable. I particularly liked the china doll as every parent can identify dealing with sassy independence one moment, then a clingy or loving child the next. We really liked it and felt if was so much better than all the movies with the potty humor these days!
Teen, 15 years old Written byJoejaydan March 20, 2013

Greater than I expected

I had written down a whole review on this and it suddenly went off so I keep it short for now. Better than expected, start is slow but its just setting up the character, not for young kids as there are a lot of pop-ups, and the violence is as bad as any other movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKarishLurv April 1, 2013

'Oz' isn't that great

As a fan of all things Oz, I was so excited to see this movie from the very moment I heard about it. After seeing Wicked, the musical (which is darn brilliant), twice, I don't know what exactly I was expecting for an 'Oz' prequel as produced by Disney; but 'Oz: the Great and Powerful' did not strike me as particularly great or powerful at all. The story revolves around circus magician Oscar Diggs (played by James Franco), an arrogant and deceitful heartthrob going by the stage name 'Oz', who longs to be a great man (note, not simply a good one). When he is one day swept up into a cyclone and magically carried to the land of Oz by hot air balloon, he meets the witch Theodora (Mila Kunis), who, after just a few hours, develops feelings for him. When Theodora explains to Oz that there was a great and powerful wizard prophesied to come and save the land from the Wicked Witch, he quickly proclaims that he is, in fact, said wizard (when he knows very well he is not). Theodora (who, after having been lead on by Oz, is convinced she will be made his queen as he takes the throne) takes him back to the Emerald City, where her sister Evanora (Rachel Weisz) is waiting to express her disapproval of their new wizard. But after discovering just how rich and seemingly royal he will be, Oz, still under the wizard act, acknowledges that he must fulfill the prophecy and sets out to defeat the Wicked Witch. Along the way, he meets his two adorable companions: Finley, the flying monkey (voiced by Zach Braff), and the China Girl (voiced/played by Joey King). The three later run into Glinda, the good witch (Michelle Williams), and together they head out on a mission to discover who is good and who is evil in order to save the land of Oz. To start with the positivities of this film, the visuals are simply astounding. The land of Oz is gorgeous and filled with bright colors and beautiful scenery. If you were to watch this film purely for the visional satisfaction, it'd check out as an A+. Finley the monkey and the China Girl are perhaps the best characters in the entire movie, both incredibly cute and able to evoke a good few laughs. The rest of the performances in this movie, however, fall short - James Franco is good at playing a role that is hiding his true identity, but (and perhaps this is not Franco's fault) Oz's character is quite unlikeable from the start and, while he might be dynamic, doesn't do much to change your first impression by the end of the film. Rachel Weisz is, altogether, the best actress of the three witches - Kunis and Williams just do not work here. The story itself is definitely not as heartwarming as you would hope - and, for younger kids, the movie can even be very frightening and confusing. All in all, I'd give the movie 2 stars - disappointing and not worth more than one watch.