Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Paddington 2

Charming, heartfelt sequel entertains, inspires compassion.

Adult Written byMelissa C. January 31, 2018

Inappropriate for young audiences

Age 6+ seems like a pretty big stretch to me after watching the movie today with my 7-year-old. The theme of crimes and punishment, paired with the over-arching themes of theft and mystery were too mature and scary for us. In my opinion, any positive messages of this movie are lost to the tense and frightening scenes. The scary/sad moments of this movie aren’t brief; they are the overwhelming part of the plot throughout, and humor and silliness aren’t present for most of the movie. I feel personally responsible for not better researching the movie independently instead of going with the 6+ recommendation. This was a good lesson for us in being careful about what we allow ourselves to see as my son was frightened by the themes of this film.

Parent Written byLauren K. January 27, 2018

Absolutely loved it but...

My little one saw it with me and we didn’t stop laughing! It was hilarious and just as good, if not better, than the first one. However my mum took my child to see it again and they have just returned crying because of the poignancy of Aunt Lucy and Paddington nearly coming to harm and being upset. If you don’t dwell on those moments, it’s a gorgeous film. I especially love that each member of the Brown family has a “skill” or hobby. That’s so encouraging.

Adult Written byIATODD January 26, 2018

Wow was it good!

I was willing to take the kids to see P2, but I was not optimistic that it would even be as good as P1, which I thought was cutesy/good but not particularly appealing to adults. But I actually think seeing P2 was about the best experience I've ever had watching a movie (like Schindler's List, but in the exact opposite way). P2 is fun, action-packed, heart-warming, has a good message, clean, easy to follow, well-animated, hilarious, and well-acted. People giving this movie fewer than 4 stars seem to be doing so because their individual children were traumatized, not because of the movie itself. I reckon if you have a hypersensitive child that really really wants to see this movie, you have a choice to make, but I doubt too many kids will be scarred for life from watching P2. I'd say if your kid can handle the traumatic scenes in the movie Up, your kid can handle P2.

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bySusana V. January 25, 2018

Funny for the whole family

I enjoy movies truly made for the entire family, and not just movies for little kids that I watch without having any fun or learning anything. My son is pretty sensitive (for example, not Beauty and the Beast in my house) but didn't get scared with this one.

Adult Written byJulie H. January 23, 2018

Best movie of this decade!

Go spend money on this film!!! You will not regret it. I was blown away at the artistry, craftsmanship, and cleverness of this movie! I really liked the first Paddington, but this one far surpasses its original title, in my opinion (and is far less scary for the littles). I have not often seen such a sweet, clean movie done so beautifully as this one. It is equal parts sweet, funny, creative and stirring. I highly recommend this movie. I was so impressed that a cast of such famous and talented actors would make children's movie like this... then I saw the movie and realized that it is not a children's movie. It is definitely for all ages. (To those who felt that Paddington being sent to jail is too scary, you just need to wait for a few more minutes. It is sad, but quickly becomes hilarious. One of the most charming aspects of this movie is that Paddington finds the best in all people, even prisoners. His kindness inspires them become good... great actually). I am so deeply impressed by the innocence and success of this movie. I hope they make loads of money to prove that the world needs is more of this type of storytelling!!! It is refreshing as a parent to have such a high quality movie to take kids to. Enjoy! And spread the word!

Parent Written byEric N. January 15, 2018

A great film for all ages

Although there's really nothing objectionable or scary in the film, those under the age of 4 or 5 are likely to lose interest (although my 3-year old was mesmerized by a few of the sequences and sat more still in the theater than she has for recent animated fare we have seen as a family). The story relies heavily on the importance of good manners, finding the best in people, and caring for those around you. It is excellent in getting these messages across and is simultaneously highly entertaining. Our youngest enjoyed it more than most "family" movies and our three older children loved it. I'm giving it 4 1/2 stars. Stick around for the credits - there's a great scene at the end that wraps up part of the story and may have been one of the funniest scenes of the whole thing.