All parent member reviews for Pan's Labyrinth

Parent of a 10 year old Written byChitch May 12, 2011

Great movie but very violent

This was a wonderfully creative and imaginative film. I thought that it was extremely well done. However, the film makers could have toned down the violence quite a bit and still made their point that the stepfather was evil. Parents, if you value your children's innocence and don't want them to have nightmares for weeks, do NOT let them see this movie. And I'm not just talking about little kids, I believe older children and tweens who are not already desensitized could be traumatized by some of the images. The sociopathic stepfather violently kills and tortures others with no remorse and the fantasy monsters are frightening (the "pale man" in particular). For parents who have had been through difficult pregnancies and/or lost a baby, keep in mind that there are scenes where the mother and her unborn baby are in peril (showing blood). My wife had to stop watching about two thirds of the way through. Even through all of that, I still thought it was an overall great story and an extremely well done and engaging film. Unfortunately, it should only be viewed by adults and teenagers who are not bothered by violence and gore. Hence the "R" rating.
Adult Written byRiks December 28, 2010
Parent Written byPlague December 3, 2010

Pans Labyrinth

A great fairytale for adults.
Adult Written byjenste July 21, 2010
Adult Written bysaima December 16, 2009
it is certainly not for kids, specialy the nature of violence is disturbing, I don't understand the age rating being 15 because of one very explicit violence scene! I thought it would be appropriate to give it an 18 certificate, most of the fantacy scenes are also ok for older children, but the violence and overall dark themes are contradictory to any pleasent effects that a fantacy intended for children might have. visually enticing and artistically woven scenes with a mixture of vivid realism and expressionist approach to fantacy world accompanied by brilliant acting and music makes it a perfect treat for those who are fed up of ordinary cinema and current hollywood trends in film industry. Messages are not clear, as Pan seems to have tricked the child into doing his magical tasks. horrors of war and children's escape to fantasy world could be a strong theme!
Adult Written bycortright5 April 9, 2008

Caution for Parents

I would not let my teenager see this film without my presence. This was a heavy dark tale with plenty of disturbing images. This fantasy film in my opinion is more suitable for adults and is excellent. This film maker takes you to a very dark tale with a predictable ending but tragic.
Adult Written byrsolines April 9, 2008
Adult Written byShaunIsKing April 9, 2008

som graphic war violance but not heavy stylized violance that is much worse

some disturbing stuff. F-word like twice. like three scenes of graphic war violance.
Adult Written byAwsome1414 April 9, 2008

It was not what i was expecting

I went to see this film with my friends who had got me to see it by telling me that it was a fairy tale, very similar to the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe.What i saw did not even come close. It was scary and extremly violent . Most of the movie is about war not an adult fairy tale. I found it to be slightly disturbing.
Adult Written bylalala3 April 9, 2008

Some Parts Ain't For The Kiddies

Beautiful, amazing, perefect. A master piece of film. Parents should know, before showing children this film, that it has some very very intense war action sequences, that may be disturbing, depending on your child. Besides these war sequences, the movie is at PG level, with one or two four letter f--k and s--t in the subtitles. There is no sex drugs or poor social behavior. If you child knows more about the spanish civil war, this film is A-Okay. **** out of *****
Adult Written byad7 April 9, 2008

Beatiful

One of the best! parents need to know that there are some war scenes and some blood. There are some scary images like a giant frog and a coupple of four letter words are uttered briefly in subtitles. ON FOR 11+
Adult Written bym25 April 9, 2008

Disturbing war Violance destorys a PG fantasy

As I said, this is a beatiful PG fantasy destroyed by a couple of Violent sequences. When I saw this in my hometown of Los Angles- I realized that its R rating was overacting! Rated R for graphic violence and some language It should be PG-13: Some Graphic War Violance, Disturbing images, and Brief Strong Language. The F-word is mutter about 3 times, And there are some gritty tourtre scenes. Nothing to bad.
Adult Written bywalkan April 9, 2008

An adult tale

A sorrowful story of a young girl with a beautiful mind thrown into circumstances, she can not control. The story is violent and not for young children, however it does have a moral and that is something that even though sad gives this film value. It holds you from the very start to the very end.
Educator Written byjkcanewton April 9, 2008

Brillant

This was a brillant film. After renting it I went out and bought it. The story is unique and something out of the ordinary, which is rare now a days. This is not a film for children, but is actual an adult fairy tale, but not in the sense of Lady in the Water. Watch it and you won't be disappointed.
Adult Written byreaper13546 April 9, 2008
A very different movie that although may seem disturbing in some parts like the pale man or the part were the general crushes that guys head in with a gun but other then that it's a great movie
Adult Written bywsmpac April 9, 2008

Misleading

This movie was very misleading in representing fairy tale status. Not recomended for children, would not hold interest. Very brutal as far as inuendo to violence, does not show most parts. Very boring and the subtitles makes it annoying.
Adult Written bydolphinlover9 April 9, 2008

Intersting movie.

Pan's labyrinth is a visually stunning and moving story about a little girl. 5 out of 5 stars.
Adult Written byKakulukia April 9, 2008

The best movie of the year so far!

El Laberinto del Fauno is the best movie I have seen this year! It's a great war movie (Spanish Civil War), a great fantasy story and a great horror movie all at once!
Adult Written bym0nde April 9, 2008

A visually stunning movie with a message

If your child is enamoured of Middle Earth and Harry Potter, let them see this political masterpiece with you. Explain what is happening onscreen while watching it on DVD. Don't let them see it alone. The movie requires some understanding of history and an ability to read subtitles. It's definitely not for the very young. But children 11 and older should be able to get something of value from the experience.
Adult Written bymonikafrancois April 9, 2008

Excellent, but phenomenally violent

This is an amazing film. It gives you a strong sense of the history of the Spanish Civil War and the visual effects are stunning. The violence level is very high, however, and we're not talking your average "blow 'em up," explosions galore, silly action flick. I had the impression that this was a movie about a girl's escapist fantasy world. It is perhaps half that. The other half comprises her extremely cruel--a caricature, really--stepfather, who tortures everyone around him. The scenes of violence in this film are extremely graphic and personal, to the point of being simply gratuitous. Torture, sawing-off of limbs, point-blank shooting of innocents; it certainly gets the point across that the Fascists were evil people, but I would argue that it is excessive. Please don't take your kids to this movie. Encourage them to see it when they are 17 or so. Again, it is an excellent film, but it is more violent than you probably are expecting it to be.