All teen and kid member reviews for Pan's Labyrinth

Teen, 14 years old Written byRivern September 30, 2010

Brilliant fairytale is not for children

Pan's Labyrinth is a dark, morbid fairytale that will both stun and amaze you at the same time. It revolves around an eleven year old girl that discovers she is the daughter of a god, and must complete three gruesome tasks before the moon is full in order to reunite with him in the kingdom of heaven. With imperfect acting by Ivana Baquero and many others, this is definitely one of my all time favorites. But, based on the graphic nature of this film I must not recommend it for anyone under the age of thirteen or fourteen. While it is intriguing, it is also extraordinarily violent, making it not acceptable for persons under the age of thirteen or fourteen. A message to parents: This movie can get very graphic at times, ranging from moderately bloody to obscenely gory, the worst being a young man getting his face smashed in to a bloody pulp by a vodka bottle. This is only for mature audiences, making this off-limits for the little ones unless you think they are ready to view such violent content. A message to kids: Viewing this movie does not make you cool, contrary to what many of your peers will tell you with Restricted movies. This will only give you nightmares for nights on end; I know this because at the age of thirteen I had to shut it off three times in order to finish it, and I had to pay the price by having most unpleasant dreams of the Pale Man coming to get me. If your parents do permit you to see this, beware that you will not rest easy after watching it. Suggested MPAA Rating: Rated R for Strong, Graphic Violence, Language, and some Grotesque Images.
Kid, 11 years old March 3, 2012

Beautiful movie

This is one of the best movies of all time. i don't recommend this for younger viewers, there are some very brutal scenes of intense gore, a teen gets his face smashed in and shot, a man has his leg amputated, a very disturbing monster bites off fairy's heads and blood streams down his face, a man is stabbed twice and then his cheek cut ( he kind of deserved it, though) a little girl is shot, a man is smashed with a hammer, lots of guns and shooting, a woman is giving birth and lots of blood is shown, (no nudity, though) and she dies. swears such as b!#ch, F*#k, and b@$t@rd. very good movie, good story, and the little girl dose not really die, not telling because spoilers. you may pick up on some spanish, too. :P
Kid, 10 years old July 13, 2014

Beautiful Movie

Although Pan's Labyrinth has mature content i think it is a really beautiful movie. It does have some offensive language that may offend some people although all the movies speech is in spanish. I say it is iffy for 9 and under okay for 10 and up. It is not as bad as some movies and with our generation they have all seen worse. I know it may be hard to take this advice from a 10 year old but this is a really beautiful movie. The first time i saw this movie it really stuck with me. It is a beautiful film and i recommend to everyone even if you are not a fan of films in other languages. Should be okay for 9 and under if watched with parents. Not many scenes that are not okay. If you parents watch it first then it should be easy to make a decision about Pan's Labyrinth and your children.
Kid, 12 years old September 2, 2011

It was a Good Movie, but too violent

I liked Pan's Labyrinth, but I wouldn't recommend for kids 12 and under. There was a lot, and I mean, a lot of violence. The ending of the movie was so sad that it made me cry like crazy.
Kid, 7 years old July 10, 2010

Kid, 12 years old August 21, 2009

It was great, but NOT ok for ANYONE under 13. in the beging where the general guy smashes the sons face in with a club almost made me puke. Same with the fairy murders. Very complicated, but very good

Brilliant movie

I can safely say, that this is my favorite movie. Violent, but well-bound into the story. I love the darkness of it. It's something different from the normal fairy tale. You get to know the protagonist so well that when the movie ends it makes you happy and sad at the same time. (I tried to avoid any spoilers there -.-) Overall, I give this movie a 5 and I'd say there's nothing in this movie a 13 or 14 year old couldn't handle.
Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ August 29, 2015

Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 July 7, 2015

Ugly and depressing fantasy flick has the wrong focus.

I rarely talk of adult content in movies, as other reviewers cover this rather well. However, as I thought I'd be watching a children's film, I was horrified. This is more disturbing than some horror movies (such as the tamer Alien sequels) and the violence just seems over the top and atrocious. The film itself is actually saddening, and seems to be looking in the wrong direction. I was hoping for the film to delve more into its interesting looking fantasy world, yet we only see a handful of fantasy creatures. One of these characters looked like it would be the films antagonist, whereas another swings from perfectly friendly to totally evil and back again in a heartbeat (and neither the characters or many of the audience are expected to notice). Overall, its difficult not to praise the film for its good acting and characters, and decent effects. But the wrong focus, disturbing and frankly off-putting moments and lack of consistency makes me want to ask how this of all movies earns itself a 95% approval rating from Rotten Tomatoes.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynathaz July 4, 2015

my fave movie ever

Teen, 16 years old Written byfrench.cats February 21, 2015

Brilliant, sad, and metaphorical

Warning: it is very, very violent. There are scenes where a man is beaten to death, a young girl is shot, a frog turns inside out, and someone bleeds to death. However, it is a very good movie filled with tons of metaphors about the Spanish Civil War. I enjoyed it very much and it is definitely one of my favorites-- it is easy for anyone to relate to Ofelia, even if you did not grow up in a time of war; don't we all try to escape our oppressors via imagination? This is definitely not for young kids, and not all teens will enjoy it (intellectual teens will especially like it) and adults may not like it if they do not understand the context.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHelena-Sophia98 June 16, 2014

Alright movie but not for kids.

This film has quite a good plotline, and I think anyone who can stand gore and blood would be fine watching this, as the gore is not too bad. However, there are disturbing scenes which could cause nightmares for sure, and there are very few positive moments in the film. I would say it is fine for mature teens but definitely not for young children under the age of about 12. I watched this film by accident when I was about 6 thinking it was a fairytale - at the time I found it really horrible.
Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2014

Should be fine with 12/13+

This movie is really rated 12 in Iceland, can you believe that?!?! Okay, this movie is very violent, that's a reason for all those 15, 18, 16 ratings in other countries, but SHOULD be okay with 12/13 and above. BUT Before letting your kid see this, know what your kids can handle, and I recommend you see this before letting him/her seeing it or watch it with him/her when he/she is seeing it for the first time.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHaitham Bayazeed June 2, 2013

HBayazeed Review: Pan's Labyrinth = Movie Magic

This movie is actually a grown ups' fairy tale, Pan's Labyrinth is one of the most famous movie known for acting and imagination, the story is one of a kind it describes what a loneliness of children can lead to, the acting is phenomenal and the scenes are magic, it is simply magic add to a movie, it makes the watcher memorized and it thought provoke him/her, it is sad and a tragedy, but the best and one of a kind, it is not a movie for young kids, because maybe they will enjoy the effects but the story is way to complex for young kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovielover45 March 31, 2013

A Hauntingly Beautiful Fairy-Tale

Pan's Labyrinth is a fim that I can't say enough about when people say "What do you think is the best film of the last 10 years?" It's a hard toss between Pan's Labyrinth and There Will Be Blood, but I have no problem saying Pan's Labyrinth to whoever asks. The film itself is so beautiful, that I will suggest to teens to watch it immediately if they can handle the violence. As I just stated, the film is disturbing and at-times very dark; but the wonderful story and in some moments stunningly beautiful images bring that violence into the background, suggesting that the violence is needed to tell this wonderful story. The acting, writing, directing and cinematography is absolutely jaw-dropping, I will never understand how this didn't even get nominiated for a Oscar for Best Picture and it didn't even win for best foreign language film!! It is also a spanish film so subtitles are needed if you don't understand spanish as well. I also highly suggest to watch the film without subtitles after watching it once to just watch the images that basically tell the story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats January 24, 2013

What Happens When Make-Believe Believes it's Real?

A beautiful movie fueled by magnificent performances, amazing, visuals, and lots of imagination. Recommended but there is violence, including a semi-graphic torture scene and also a somewhat lengthy scene in which a glass is smashed in someone's face and someone is shot up close. The f-word is not too overused but there is some language. A.
Teen, 17 years old Written bylehaha October 16, 2012

don't be fooled :P

im 17 and this movie was so cool :D don't be fooled by the childlike trailer because this is definitely not for younger kids. plus there's a lot of political things involved like war and death which younger people probably wont understand. it's awesome though!
Teen, 17 years old Written byPan'sLabyrinth June 6, 2012

One of the greatest movies ever made.

Absolutely amazing movie that every one should see at one point, but is very dark.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn April 1, 2012

Visceral and intense fantasy film is for older kids

Gullermo Del Toro's three tim oscar-winning fantasy film, Pan's Labrynth, is a beaituflly filmed, well imagined and thoroughly entertaining fairy tale for adults, and it is a film that still doesn't waver in it's brilliance, no matter how many times you watch it. When the film was going through iot's oproduction, you could tell that Del Toro was having an absolute blast dsigining the set's, visual effects and imaginative little world that the movie inhabits, and it definitely shows. I have always found Gullermo Del Toro to be a very talented, and geuninely imaginated filmmaker who has such a unique visual vision, that he could probably colour even the most boring and dull films out there, and give them heart, soul and a character that weactually care for. Sure, it feels like a slight cop out that the main character is a little girl, so that at first it feels like you have to care aout her, but once the movie get's rolling, you find the character of Ofelia to a compassionate and kind person, and probably the most of any other character in the film. So, despite the fact that this film is essentially a fairy tale fantasy, it still carries a much-deserved R Rating: There are several instance of strong brutal bloody violence, including lot's of people being shot,having there faces slashed, gigantic fantastical creatures deforming themselves and even a few mutilations and decapitations here and there. Also, there is infrequent but strong profanity, including words such as f--k, sh-t, hell and b-tch, but since the movie is in Spanish with English subtitles, it slightly lessens the effect. So, if you are a fan of fantasy movies, than you should certainly check this imaginative little gem of a movie out, because it is definitely worth it. Reccomended.
Kid, 11 years old January 13, 2012

Pan's Labyrinth

I first saw this when I was 6 years old. It gave me nightmares. All I remember from watching it that first time was being scared to death. It is a dark, disturbing, and extremely twisted fairy tale told through a young girl's eyes. I definitely shouldn't have seen it that young. I saw it again a couple years later and it is absolutely gorgeous. Very violent, but a gorgeous film. (I still probably shouldn't have watched it, but I already did, so what's the point?) An absolutely spectacular movie.