All member reviews for Paranormal Activity 4

Fourth in spooky series runs out of ideas -- and scares.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylolipop12345 October 21, 2012

too scaaaryyy

i think this movie is good but very scary and I'm 14 so yeah i couldn't sleep at night for like 1 week ..
Kid, 12 years old October 31, 2012

Good scares but 17 and younger don't bother.

These movies are entertaining yet very inappropriate and very scary. But a great Halloween movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheTrillionaire November 24, 2012

TOO SCARY!

This is Too Scary. I saw it In Theaters.
Kid, 11 years old October 19, 2012

Not for kids. PERIOD!

Okay movie. BUT NOT FOR KIDS! PERIOD! I was forced to see this movie by my cousin today, and it scared the heck outta me.Many bad words in it too. Too scary for kids!
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats November 23, 2012

It's Closer Than You Think

The franchise is now growing tired. After the first was great, second was terrible, third was okay, and the fourth is bad. It isn't a very reliable franchise because you can never count on it to deliver. Kathryn Newton and Matt Shively do a good job but for what cause? When you expect something to happen, nothing ever does. Should be called Paranormal Activity Bore or Paranormal Activity Snore. Has some strong language used infrequently by teenagers and some violence. C-.
Teen, 13 years old Written byXxDARKSHADOWSxX October 26, 2012

Paranormal Activity 4 Review

It's kind of boring and it's really slow. Also, it has a tad bit of violence and some mild language
Parent Written byOh1oBuckeyes October 20, 2012

It's good even though the rating is R

I'm a parent myself, and my 13 year old boy wanted to see this movie. It's a good movie, the only thing you have to look out for is the language. A teenager boy says "f**k" and "sh*t" but it is only a couple of times and it really is only from him, more minor language is "hell" and "ass". I let my son see it, first of all I am with him during the movie and I know he is mature enough to see it. It all really depends on the child in lots of the cases, if they are mature enough to watch/hear it. My boy hears it at school and the language is really only get worse while they grow up. So it depends on the parent and child; Though he/she should be at least 13+ in my opinion.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhomealonefan123 November 3, 2012

great latest in the series movie!

great movie. but some over-the-top violence.
Parent Written byDarkCabaret October 20, 2012

Not Worth It ..... Seriously.

This movie was awful. I got a free ticket from a friend and we were super excited to see it! We love scary movies but this one was not worth it. I almost want a refund on my free ticket. There was quite a bit of foul language moreso than the other 3. It was all based on a teenage girl who did the recordings on impulse. She didn't have any real basis to do recordings. Most of the "scary" parts were predictable and not even scary. The cat jumping into the shot only made me and my friends jump because it startled us. Much like the rest of the film. We walked out of the theatre at the end saying it was not scary and not worth the $10 bucks to go see. So in my opinion this is a film I will only buy on dvd when it hits the $5 rack at Wal-Mart and I'll only buy so I have it in the collection. Seriously do not waste your money.
Adult Written bydavyborn October 19, 2012

Fourth film in the franchise is weaker than the first and third, better than the second. Not for kids.

It's October again, and the latest film in the franchise that once started off rediculously promising but has now turned into the next Saw franchise (only substantially more profitable, that is) is finally here, with Paranormal Activity 4. Now, before you get the feeling that I disliked this movie, please allow me to elaborate a little bit more so, here. Now, I am a huge fan of the Paranormal Activity films, and I know that this is one of those franchise's that has a vastly seperated legion of followers: The group of people who think that these movies are scary, intense and enjoyable. And than, there is the other group of alternatively polar opposities, who believe that these films are just cheap, messy, badly acted and boring waists of time. Now, despite the fact that, again, I am a moderately big fan of the series, overall, I am still find myself mainly pitted somehwere in the middle, here. I absolutely loved the first entry in the series, because I thoiught that it was an original (for the time, that is), smart and very, very scary, and a very memorable horror film. The second film, I thought, was a relentless dissapointment, with a much limper narrative constructive set, and, the scares just simply didn`t pay off for me in that one. The third one, which of course was last years Paranormal Activity 3, I thought was the best in the franchise, even better than the first film, because it was incredibly creative and imaginative in it`s scares, had the most likable characters yet, and it had a virtually unforgettable (to me, at least) ending that stuck with me for a while. Whew. Now that I got all of that exposition off of my chest, let`s finally just get to it, shall we? Paranormal Acitivty 4 picks up five years after the second film left off, with (spoilers!) Katie killing her sister Kristi, and stealing her son Hunter. Now, five years later, we are introduced to a new set of family bound-characters living in a very nice Neveda suburb. Now, our teenage lead Alex (Kathryn Newton) begins feeling the presence of something evil when the neighbors creepy son comes over to stay with them for a couple of weeks, after his mother ends up in the hospital after an unexplained dilemma that is never really elaborated upon further. Now, Alex spends much of the movies running time just randomly exploring the house and chatting with her boyfriend on skype, via her laptop, which supplies the film with much of it's humor, which is effective. Also relativly well done and effective, is, of course, the relentless sequence of jump scares that will induce shock itno you, but are not terribly effecting or all that memorable. Really, even with the last ten minutes amping up the suspense, I thought that they rushed through it so fast that they barely had any time to actually thoroughly scare us properly, and, as a fact of that, the movie just ends, and you can't help but think to yourself "Is that it?" Still, Paranormal Activity 4 is substantially better than the scond film, if not nearly as good as the first and third films in the series. It still applies a versatile league of characters, some fairly effective tension and scares, relieving humor, and, finally, and rather most surprisingly, some of the best acting of the series, which surprised me. Now, like the other three films in the series, Paranormal Activity 3 is rated R, and should not be seen by any young kids, or, for that matter, even most younger teens who can't hold there suspense very well, so, here we go: The film is wall-to-wall with jump scares, tension and nerve-wracking suspense, but there is actually very little on-screen violence. But, what does occur, includes several sequences such as: A young boy being forcefully held under water in a bathub for an extended period of time, and than be released in a delerious state; a teenager having his neck brutally snapped and his body hidden; a woman being thrust through the air by an unseen entity, and slammed violently onto the ground to her death, face first, and more. Also, there is some moderate sexual references here and there, which include a few implied moments of a teenage boy`s attempts to seduce his sweet and rather innocent young girlfriend, but this never goes anywhere. And, finally, there is about as much profanity as there was in the third film, and that was also on the tamer side of the franchise`s profanity count, but, still, there are several uses each of f--k, sh-t, h-ll, g-dd-mn, jesus, c-ck and more. Alsoo, finally, Paranormal Activity 4 may not be the best film in the series, by a long shot, but, for what it is, it is a reasonably fun enough horror film, and a decently good time at the movies. Reccomended.
Teen, 16 years old Written byGuiiMovio November 12, 2012

Cool

Pretty scary!
Teen, 15 years old Written byBeavisandButthead April 14, 2013

Iffy for 14+

This isn't as scary/good as the third one.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCastingAnchorsAway February 12, 2013

Language, language, LANGUAGE

Every paranormal activity movie is always deemed "scary" but to me I didn't even flinch. This movie may not be the thriller of the century, but let me tell you something it does have... LANGUAGE. There's at least one swear word in almost every scene. There is some consumerism, but nothing bad, it does mention the X-box a few times. However, there is some light in this movie. The teen daughter is a good role model. She works her way out of uncomfortable, sexual, situatuations (A teen boy asks for her to flash her boobs, she refuses) She works hard to protect her brother even though she's put in terrifying ordeals. I wouldn't recommend this for hardcore horror fans, but if you're like me and love Paronormal Activity even though it isn't scaryin the least then you should watch it just to kill time, don't expect much of t though. Despite the frequent language, and a few intense scenes for younger and easier frightened viewers, this movie should be fine for anyone at least 12 and older. There is some violence, but it is only between demons and humans.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2013

THIS SUCKS

THIS MOVIE IS COMPLETELY LAZY.IT SUCKS SO MUCH.ITS SO BORING LIKE MY EFFORT IN WRITING THIS REVIEW.NO WONDER WHY A 2 YEAR OLD BOY CRIED AT THE END.THIS MOVIE SHOULD ONLY BE IN THE RAZZIES.NOT RED DAWN,NOT GHOST RIDER 2,NOT EVEN BATTLESHIP BUT JUST THE MOVIE ITS SELF SHOULD ONLY BE IN THE RAZZIES.WORST EVERYTHING.IF YOU SEE THIS AWFUL MOVIE BRAINWASH YOURSELF AND FORGET THE WHOLE THING.DONT EVEN BUY THIS IN THE 99 CENT RACK OR A PENNY.YEP ITS THAT BAD.PS I AM YELLING THIS OUT.
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 April 14, 2013

dissapointing

The movie is violent and has some scares. There is a lot of adult language frequently and product placement is clearly visible in more than one scene. The movie is okay and a one time watch. The franchise should just stop by now. Its not worth your time.
Teen, 14 years old Written byshans10 March 24, 2013

Scares are scares!

I watched this film only yesterday. I'm 14 and started watching these films when I turned 13. I love these films, so much. There good and scary, the story line is there, if you take the time to figure it out, they all link and make so much sense! There is NO sex, only Alex's boyfriend who made one reference to showing him a body part which she laughed at and refused.They do say f**k and s**t but in their situation, who wouldn't? Its not overused like it is in some of their past films. Poor Alex tries so hard to look after her brother and keep her breaking family together, if only they listened to her! Their is Violence but only a little. So many jump, I found myself yelling at the TV 'LOOK BEHIND YOU, RUN.' The ending was a bit naff to be honest but if you like the scares, you'll love it like you did the rest!
Kid, 12 years old February 2, 2013

Not Scary. Very Disappointed.

OVERALL, this movie is disappointing and worse than all the other P.A. movies. I don't get what all the fuss is about. I'm 12 and have seen this movie. There is very little language and no reference to sex or even kissing. Its barely even scary and I never even screamed or had to cover my eyes. I think most kids 12+ SHOULD be able to watch this movie without getting really scared, although some kids/teens get more scared than others.
Teen, 15 years old Written byasdfghjkllkjhgfdsa February 24, 2013

basic

there's very little violence in the whole movie and it's only scary towards then end. This is in comparision to the other Paranormal Activity movies, once you've watched them, this is nothing. It's pretty boring if I'm honest. yeah, there's a little flirting blah blah nothing much really
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow December 26, 2012

Underwhelming third sequel is the least violent, least scary, least good

Of all the Paranormal Activity films, this one is my least favorite. And that's such a shame, because after the freakishly weird twist ending of PA3, I thought this one was going to give at least some sort of hint as to what it meant. But it doesn't. It answers nothing at all. For all it cares, the third film doesn't even exist. You could literally just jump from PA2 to this, and the viewing experience would be no different. All it does is bring up more and more and more questions that are just annoying this time around. I guess I can kind of understand the trick behind this, because now that we have two movies with unanswered questions, there will have to be at least two or so other movies to answer everything, and then they can bring up questions until we end up with ten or fifteen movies. That's a creative way to make a franchise longer, and I'll be interested in seeing what the other films have to offer. But even though I respect its intentions, it still leaves me with a bland and tired film that tries to hard to make you ask questions. But as if that weren't bad enough, the film is astonishingly short on scares; the silent chills of the nighttime sequences seen in the previous three films are now gone, instead replaced with, well, pretty much nothing. And when there are nighttime scares, they're brief and disappointing. Plus, this film has way too many fake jump scares (such as a cat jumping in front of the camera by surprise or something like that); I mean, I think fake jump scares can be pretty fun if done a few times or so, but this pushed the boundaries until I just started groaning. Plus, it can't seem to find much of an excuse for filming everything, especially since in this movie, the main character uses a laptop as a camera; I mean, I have a feeling that it would get kind of exhausting to carry an entire laptop around with you while you're being chased around the house by a demon (Oops! Spoilers!). On the positive note, it does have some decent performances (although I have NO IDEA why they would cast Matt Shively, that awkward kid from True Jackson VP, as the boyfriend), and the script is at least mildly realistic. Alex is a pretty likeable heroin, and the two male child actors are really good, especially the one playing Robbie, who gives a rock-solid performance as a dark and mysterious kid without going too over-the-top. And I guess there are a few mildly scary moments here and there. But these few good traits aren't enough to recommend this tepid, lazy, contrived, unexplained, and arguably meaningless addition to a really good franchise.
Teen, 17 years old Written by_nkracka_ November 23, 2012

Paranormal Activity 4 - Review

This is a great horror film, however, it shouldn't be watched by kids. It has violence and language in it, most not appropriate for younger people. some of the most violent scenes in the movie are, a teenage boy gets his neck snapped, the mother is picked up by an unseen force and bashed around, and the father is dragged around in the house across the road. There is some language too, such as f--k and s--t.