All member reviews for Paranormal Activity 4

Fourth in spooky series runs out of ideas -- and scares.

Adult Written bydavyborn October 19, 2012

Fourth film in the franchise is weaker than the first and third, better than the second. Not for kids.

It's October again, and the latest film in the franchise that once started off rediculously promising but has now turned into the next Saw franchise (only substantially more profitable, that is) is finally here, with Paranormal Activity 4. Now, before you get the feeling that I disliked this movie, please allow me to elaborate a little bit more so, here. Now, I am a huge fan of the Paranormal Activity films, and I know that this is one of those franchise's that has a vastly seperated legion of followers: The group of people who think that these movies are scary, intense and enjoyable. And than, there is the other group of alternatively polar opposities, who believe that these films are just cheap, messy, badly acted and boring waists of time. Now, despite the fact that, again, I am a moderately big fan of the series, overall, I am still find myself mainly pitted somehwere in the middle, here. I absolutely loved the first entry in the series, because I thoiught that it was an original (for the time, that is), smart and very, very scary, and a very memorable horror film. The second film, I thought, was a relentless dissapointment, with a much limper narrative constructive set, and, the scares just simply didn`t pay off for me in that one. The third one, which of course was last years Paranormal Activity 3, I thought was the best in the franchise, even better than the first film, because it was incredibly creative and imaginative in it`s scares, had the most likable characters yet, and it had a virtually unforgettable (to me, at least) ending that stuck with me for a while. Whew. Now that I got all of that exposition off of my chest, let`s finally just get to it, shall we? Paranormal Acitivty 4 picks up five years after the second film left off, with (spoilers!) Katie killing her sister Kristi, and stealing her son Hunter. Now, five years later, we are introduced to a new set of family bound-characters living in a very nice Neveda suburb. Now, our teenage lead Alex (Kathryn Newton) begins feeling the presence of something evil when the neighbors creepy son comes over to stay with them for a couple of weeks, after his mother ends up in the hospital after an unexplained dilemma that is never really elaborated upon further. Now, Alex spends much of the movies running time just randomly exploring the house and chatting with her boyfriend on skype, via her laptop, which supplies the film with much of it's humor, which is effective. Also relativly well done and effective, is, of course, the relentless sequence of jump scares that will induce shock itno you, but are not terribly effecting or all that memorable. Really, even with the last ten minutes amping up the suspense, I thought that they rushed through it so fast that they barely had any time to actually thoroughly scare us properly, and, as a fact of that, the movie just ends, and you can't help but think to yourself "Is that it?" Still, Paranormal Activity 4 is substantially better than the scond film, if not nearly as good as the first and third films in the series. It still applies a versatile league of characters, some fairly effective tension and scares, relieving humor, and, finally, and rather most surprisingly, some of the best acting of the series, which surprised me. Now, like the other three films in the series, Paranormal Activity 3 is rated R, and should not be seen by any young kids, or, for that matter, even most younger teens who can't hold there suspense very well, so, here we go: The film is wall-to-wall with jump scares, tension and nerve-wracking suspense, but there is actually very little on-screen violence. But, what does occur, includes several sequences such as: A young boy being forcefully held under water in a bathub for an extended period of time, and than be released in a delerious state; a teenager having his neck brutally snapped and his body hidden; a woman being thrust through the air by an unseen entity, and slammed violently onto the ground to her death, face first, and more. Also, there is some moderate sexual references here and there, which include a few implied moments of a teenage boy`s attempts to seduce his sweet and rather innocent young girlfriend, but this never goes anywhere. And, finally, there is about as much profanity as there was in the third film, and that was also on the tamer side of the franchise`s profanity count, but, still, there are several uses each of f--k, sh-t, h-ll, g-dd-mn, jesus, c-ck and more. Alsoo, finally, Paranormal Activity 4 may not be the best film in the series, by a long shot, but, for what it is, it is a reasonably fun enough horror film, and a decently good time at the movies. Reccomended.
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 April 14, 2013

dissapointing

The movie is violent and has some scares. There is a lot of adult language frequently and product placement is clearly visible in more than one scene. The movie is okay and a one time watch. The franchise should just stop by now. Its not worth your time.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow December 26, 2012

Underwhelming third sequel is the least violent, least scary, least good

Of all the Paranormal Activity films, this one is my least favorite. And that's such a shame, because after the freakishly weird twist ending of PA3, I thought this one was going to give at least some sort of hint as to what it meant. But it doesn't. It answers nothing at all. For all it cares, the third film doesn't even exist. You could literally just jump from PA2 to this, and the viewing experience would be no different. All it does is bring up more and more and more questions that are just annoying this time around. I guess I can kind of understand the trick behind this, because now that we have two movies with unanswered questions, there will have to be at least two or so other movies to answer everything, and then they can bring up questions until we end up with ten or fifteen movies. That's a creative way to make a franchise longer, and I'll be interested in seeing what the other films have to offer. But even though I respect its intentions, it still leaves me with a bland and tired film that tries to hard to make you ask questions. But as if that weren't bad enough, the film is astonishingly short on scares; the silent chills of the nighttime sequences seen in the previous three films are now gone, instead replaced with, well, pretty much nothing. And when there are nighttime scares, they're brief and disappointing. Plus, this film has way too many fake jump scares (such as a cat jumping in front of the camera by surprise or something like that); I mean, I think fake jump scares can be pretty fun if done a few times or so, but this pushed the boundaries until I just started groaning. Plus, it can't seem to find much of an excuse for filming everything, especially since in this movie, the main character uses a laptop as a camera; I mean, I have a feeling that it would get kind of exhausting to carry an entire laptop around with you while you're being chased around the house by a demon (Oops! Spoilers!). On the positive note, it does have some decent performances (although I have NO IDEA why they would cast Matt Shively, that awkward kid from True Jackson VP, as the boyfriend), and the script is at least mildly realistic. Alex is a pretty likeable heroin, and the two male child actors are really good, especially the one playing Robbie, who gives a rock-solid performance as a dark and mysterious kid without going too over-the-top. And I guess there are a few mildly scary moments here and there. But these few good traits aren't enough to recommend this tepid, lazy, contrived, unexplained, and arguably meaningless addition to a really good franchise.
Parent Written byJackHolmes507 October 29, 2013

This film is very good and offers great scares not suitable for anyone under 12

This film is a very scary film which offers many big scares. The film is not gory at all and simply is just supernatural. If youre son/daughter is afraid of the dark already this is not their film your better of watching something like the poltergeist which is mildy scary. The ending is the most scariest bit of the movie and the rest is just creepy. Their is nothing too extreme it says the f word and the s word once and thats about this nut the film is very scary. If you are planning to watch it i suggest watch it in the day. Also pay very close attention to the background because you can see things like a boy standing their.
Teen, 16 years old Written byOfficial Critic August 9, 2013

Paranormal Activity 4 Review

Paranormal Activity 4 sadly continues the series' downslide, most drearily with a mid-film twist that enables the filmmakers to go about essentially remaking the second entry. They could have called this Paranormal Inactivity.
Kid, 10 years old July 25, 2013

VERY GOOD

very good, really enjoyed it. Everyone is complaining that it wasn't scary enough. It was terrifying. Very well shot and excellent acting, makes this a real treat. Contains strong horror, threat and language.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBeavisandButthead April 14, 2013

Iffy for 14+

This isn't as scary/good as the third one.
Parent Written byOh1oBuckeyes October 20, 2012

It's good even though the rating is R

I'm a parent myself, and my 13 year old boy wanted to see this movie. It's a good movie, the only thing you have to look out for is the language. A teenager boy says "f**k" and "sh*t" but it is only a couple of times and it really is only from him, more minor language is "hell" and "ass". I let my son see it, first of all I am with him during the movie and I know he is mature enough to see it. It all really depends on the child in lots of the cases, if they are mature enough to watch/hear it. My boy hears it at school and the language is really only get worse while they grow up. So it depends on the parent and child; Though he/she should be at least 13+ in my opinion.
Parent of a 6, 15, 15, and 17 year old Written by79awesome August 27, 2013

Great film

Not that scary but really good not really for tweens but for teens 14 up yes edgy 13 but recommended for 14 and up
Parent Written byFarhan Ishraq saif May 11, 2013

NOT HAPPY WITH THE MOVIE AT ALL

i think the move is not good at all cause no one survives in there everyone dies except the kids and the bad guys lives -_- um really pissed off the move maker didn't let anyone survive in this story btw non of those r true cause they cannot be caught up in real life camera they wont show them selves cause god has forbidden them not to show them selves so no one should try to contact them at all next don't piss me off with this no survives movie :) .
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2013

THIS SUCKS

THIS MOVIE IS COMPLETELY LAZY.IT SUCKS SO MUCH.ITS SO BORING LIKE MY EFFORT IN WRITING THIS REVIEW.NO WONDER WHY A 2 YEAR OLD BOY CRIED AT THE END.THIS MOVIE SHOULD ONLY BE IN THE RAZZIES.NOT RED DAWN,NOT GHOST RIDER 2,NOT EVEN BATTLESHIP BUT JUST THE MOVIE ITS SELF SHOULD ONLY BE IN THE RAZZIES.WORST EVERYTHING.IF YOU SEE THIS AWFUL MOVIE BRAINWASH YOURSELF AND FORGET THE WHOLE THING.DONT EVEN BUY THIS IN THE 99 CENT RACK OR A PENNY.YEP ITS THAT BAD.PS I AM YELLING THIS OUT.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheTrillionaire November 24, 2012

TOO SCARY!

This is Too Scary. I saw it In Theaters.
Kid, 10 years old November 12, 2012

WASTE OF TIME

its a waste of time watching this movie, its violent and scary and boring.
Kid, 12 years old October 31, 2012

Good scares but 17 and younger don't bother.

These movies are entertaining yet very inappropriate and very scary. But a great Halloween movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylolipop12345 October 21, 2012

too scaaaryyy

i think this movie is good but very scary and I'm 14 so yeah i couldn't sleep at night for like 1 week ..
Parent Written byDarkCabaret October 20, 2012

Not Worth It ..... Seriously.

This movie was awful. I got a free ticket from a friend and we were super excited to see it! We love scary movies but this one was not worth it. I almost want a refund on my free ticket. There was quite a bit of foul language moreso than the other 3. It was all based on a teenage girl who did the recordings on impulse. She didn't have any real basis to do recordings. Most of the "scary" parts were predictable and not even scary. The cat jumping into the shot only made me and my friends jump because it startled us. Much like the rest of the film. We walked out of the theatre at the end saying it was not scary and not worth the $10 bucks to go see. So in my opinion this is a film I will only buy on dvd when it hits the $5 rack at Wal-Mart and I'll only buy so I have it in the collection. Seriously do not waste your money.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLoĂŻc July 12, 2015

To steal 4th in the series, get ready to get... bored the major part of the film ! / Pour se 4eme volé de la série, préparez-vous… à vous ennuyez la majeur partie du film !

ENGLISH: PARANORMAL activity four , should usually be PARANORMAL film ( from the title ) but it is really going paranormal phenomena in the last fifteen minutes of the film , otherwise , the rest of the time there 1 or 1 phenomena par- here and there , and just a little boy LIVING , WHICH iS NOT A DEMON who wanders . I still put a restriction on the age of 12 because the end is still pretty scared. But this film is totally suitable for children of 12 years, which probably will not be afraid in this 4éme opus . Rating: 4/10 Really bad, really need this series stops, because they are really short of ideas ! Excuse me for the mistakes but I'm french ! FRANCAIS PARANORMAL activity quatre, devrait être normalement un film PARANORMAL (d’après le titre) Mais il se passe vraiment des phénomènes PARANORMAUX dans le dernier quart d’heure du film, sinon, tout le reste du temps il y 1 ou 1 phénomènes par-ci par-là, et juste un petit garçon VIVANT, QUI N’EST PAS UN DEMON, qui se balade. Je mets quand même une restriction au moins de 12 ans car la fin fait quand même assez peur. Mais ce film est totalement adapté aux enfants de 12 ans, qui n’aurons surement pas peur dans ce 4émeopus. Note : 4/10 Vraiment très mauvais, il faut vraiment que cette série s’arrête, car ils sont vraiment à court d’idées !
Adult Written byMfi0f May 6, 2015

Ariel's Adventure

This is a story about a girl named Ariel and her trip to see her Aunt Ursula and how Ursula uses her magic to turn Ariel into her bodyguard
Kid, 11 years old March 15, 2015

Great row models but bad things happen

Great movie not too scary the girl is a great row model because she takes care of her brother and listens to parents but the teen boy is very inappropriate asking to see her "boobie" she said no and the boy swears a lot the little boy is so creepy but bad things happen to good people
Adult Written bysarab2 March 7, 2015

not even scary

iffy for kids but overall this isnt even scary just falling objects and invisible movements like not even scary