All member reviews for Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones

Plenty of violence in fifth installment of horror series.

Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah January 7, 2014

It's okay, and I think that they know that that's as far as it can go.

When I first heard of this, I was naturally apprehensive. The trailers looked generic, the acting looked awful, and its delayed October-to-January release date pretty much solidified my cynicism. However, this is fine. The new characters and relocation are a nice breath of fresh air and the acting is fine since everyone's just playing a regular person. The humor works well; I actually found myself laughing a decent amount since it has a naturalistic charm about the whole thing. It's 84 minutes long but doesn't necessarily feel too short or like it's trying to reach a feature-length running time. The story does its job and is reasonably interesting, particularly the ending and how it ties in with the rest of the franchise. The biggest issue, however, is that the humor works but it's not scary, really at all, and when it appears to try, it relies on clichés. There's one jump scare that works but that's it. However, I don't really think that it's even trying to be scary anymore. I think they know that this series is a yearly tradition for its core audience so its style and mythology makes it somewhat endearing for annual casual viewings. This is a tepid and modest achievement: nothing quite new, but with enough entertainment value to be respectable. For a January 3 release, this is far past a tepid achievement. 6.7/10, fine, one thumb up, average (or above average given its genre and release date), etc.
Teen, 17 years old Written bykenwi January 8, 2014

WHY WERE AUDIENCES DISAPPOINTING?!

That's because it seems that it might be boring... but it might be fine.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHorrorlover1213 January 10, 2014

Disappointing Activity

I was very disappointed because I love the whole PA series. It seems like they just through in female nudity and innuendo which made it just stupid. Seriously was not scary. I mean I'm fine with some uplifting moments so the audience can take a little break from the scariness, but there were too many moments like that. I was trying to figure if this was really a horror or drama!!
Kid, 11 years old January 13, 2014

RATED R FOR TERROR

NEVER SEEN IT BUT HEARD ABOUT IT ITS VERY SCARY UNDER 17+
Parent Written byRenee.Des October 20, 2014

Definitely not appropriate for anyone under 15. Full frontal female nudity and some very disturbing scenes. They must be running out of ideas because it seems like this was the least scary out of all PA's and it's almost like they only included nudity to give the film at least one thing for people to be reeled in by, but for me it did the opposite. Unnecessary and out of place. Personally I think they should have stopped at number 4.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykyle_the_killer June 28, 2014

Puts a lot of things together in the Paranormal Activity series.

Well I probably shouldn't have seen this cause of the nudity. Haha, but I thought that this movie had some pretty cool moments that were creepy. The last 15 minutes are very intense, and some scenes will startle you and make you jump. This movie brings back the only ONE daughter that has ever survives in the PA series, and she was in PA 2, the girl names Ally Ray. This movie explains plenty of things, and it explains more about the triangle symbol from the fourth installment. To be honest, in my opinion I believe that this is the best one in the series, so don't hate on me if you disagree. Haha. xD
Kid, 10 years old February 2, 2014

RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS

Paranormal activity 1-4 are excellent. Paranormal activity the marked ones is not. It's obvious that the franchise has run out of ideas. It builds up for 70 minutes and then gives you a rubbish ending. While some of the scares are smart but there not scary. It doesn't deliver enough scares it's boring and it's final scene is crap. Paranormal activity the marked ones is not worth your time
Teen, 15 years old Written bycool0717 January 18, 2014

wasn't a good horror movie I was bored for almost all of the movie and it was not scary at all

Paranormal Activity The Marked Ones looked liked it could have bought something new to the franchise. I have never been bored in horror film even if the film is terrible it will still keep me entertained but this film was boring there was a certain length of time where nothing at all happened then when things started to happen where people were supposed to be scared i was just bored and nothing in the film scared me at all. Overall this film was not scary and it was not a good film.