All member reviews for Paranormal Activity

Indie scare fest doesn't need blood and gore to terrify.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLukazoid18 April 24, 2013

Some people hate it, some people love it.

What no-one here realises is that some people will watch this movie not get a single scare and request a refund, while others will be curled up on the couch near the end with their hands over their eyes contemplating whether they have the courage to look at the screen. I know people who boast about sitting through the Blair Witch without a single jump and others who wet their pants halfway through. If you actually get scared by horror then you will really enjoy this movie, and you will not sleep for weeks afterwards because you will be too busy watching your bedroom door to see if it will open. But if you have too much swag to jump in a scary movie then you will be one of the people here screaming for a refund.
Teen, 13 years old Written byamelia.charlotte123 February 16, 2013

OK, given all the compliments, not what I'd expected

I didn't find this film particularly frightening, and I was 12 when I watched it. I was frightened by Insidious, and Orphan, but I didn't like the style of this film, it's almost like they're filming a Youtube Video. If you find, not knowing what's there, but something happening all the same, then this is the film for you, but actually, it's not very scary all the same.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBryn Clare February 4, 2013

Amazing Horor

This movie has intense horror and terrible language, but if you're ok with that, it is an amazing horor that won't disapoint.
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2013

Do not see......

I did not like this movie it was a big disappointment from the trailer which looked spooky but the movie turned out horrible. The violence was not bad there was no scares it was just slow. If the language was a little tamer this movie could be pg-13. Terrible movie do not see!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow December 22, 2012

Dark, relentless, and suspenseful

This is a very good horror film, with great atmosphere, great build-up, and some real genuine scares. I will admit that I rented this without extremely high expectations; I just expected it to be a nonstop ride of fun scares. And when this film scares, it scares. The nighttime bedroom scenes are quite effective, with the creaky floors, the flickering lights, the CGI shadows, and the creepy noises. They gave off some really good chills that kept me very excited. Though, I must say, the film DOES have some problems; the acting wasn't very hot, the script was awkward at times, and I didn't think the ending was very satisfying. And it's certainly not as good as some other found-footage films, like The Blair Witch Project. But it's still a frightful and well-rounded scare-fest that is worth a rent some dark night.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJohnem95 October 31, 2012

Not as scary as they say

I treated myself to a scary movie on Halloween and I decided to watch Paranormal Activity - keep in mind, horror movies scare the death out of me and I am easily scared of anything that is jumpy as I tend to always look away. I dared myself to try this movie and only a couple of times did I look away - and nothing happened either time. You see, the main "horror" of the movie is the psychological thinking of what you're witnessing, but if you have your brain turned off, it really isn't that scary - but I think anyone, even the toughtest-gutted horror fanatics have to be freaked out by the movie's original ending which is by far the scariest scene in the movie. So don't keep your kids away from this movie because it's so visually scary, keep them away because it may make them worried - for a LONG time. For content, there is very little violence other than the ending in which there is a blood-stained shirt and a violent scene in which a character is hurdled towards the camera. There are three alternate endings to the movie, so depending on which alternate ending you're watching, there may be more scariness and violence in one compared to another. There are a few cuss words including the f-word and the s-word as well as a couple middle fingers in one scene, but in a humorous manor. The language is infrequent, but the most commonly used word is the four-letter f-word. Sex is very minor as there are some sexual discussions and jokes, a couple kisses, and the obvious fact that the couple is sleeping in bed together. As CS mentions, there is a off-screen sex scene and obvious cleavage-showing throughout the movie regarding the female character - but nothing that is too explicit. Overall, Paranormal Activity is a very original, unique, scary film that moves along well, always entertains, but doesn't really scare you until the very end.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAli J October 27, 2012

Not that scary

I am terrified of horror movies. I can barely stand blood and gore, or anything like that. Paranormal Activity has none of that, only jump scares and it plays with your mind. The end scene is a little scary, and is bound to make you jump a little bit. The movie may start off slow, but picks up and gets creepier as the end approaches. It is a really good movie that I think is on for 12 and up, because they can handle the language, and the few scares. But know your kid, because I know a few people who do think this movie is terrifying.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAliJ October 27, 2012

Not that scary

I am terrified of horror movies. I can barely stand blood and gore, or anything like that. Paranormal Activity has none of that, only jump scares and it plays with your mind. The end scene is a little scary, and is bound to make you jump a little bit. The movie may start off slow, but picks up and gets creepier as the end comes approaches. It is a really good movie that I think is on for 12 and up, because they can handle the language, and the few scares.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybobster173 October 14, 2012

An Alright Movie- Some Scary Sequences

Paranormal Activity is a good found footage movie, but its language and few frightening scenes are a little much.
Parent Written byMandin October 2, 2012

Is very, very bad

Watching this movie is a lost of time this movie isnt scary i saw the 3 parts and i wasnt scared just dont lose money in theather for the 4 just wait till get in dvd
Kid, 12 years old July 31, 2012

The Best Movie Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing some parents might not like is the language that they use other than that it is a very good movie if your kids aren't scaredy cats.I just saw it yesterday and i'm 11 it wasn't that scary but the last part is unexpected.
Adult Written bylemonlover July 19, 2012

It's a pretty scary movie.

The movie has about 45 uses of f**k. There is also sexual disscussion and the movie is scary.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAngelbro June 5, 2012

SCARY

This is a really scary movie!!!! It will give kids nightmares!!!!!! Don't take your child to see it because of its realistic nature. Is a good movie for teens to watch if they can handle it.
Parent Written byjackjackm4123 May 23, 2012

Very good, Know your child

This is a very great movie, love the climax and the end. But is indeed very very terrifying! I let my child watch it but he was very scared but over all liked it.
Kid, 11 years old May 23, 2012

Paranormal Activity

This is a great indie horror movie. very original and very scary. i watched it when i was 11. it has a lot of language and some middle fingers. not too much violence. good role models for standing up to the demon.
Parent Written byfirstavenger11 February 13, 2012

Paranormal activity

Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 23, 2012

Arguably one of the scariest movies ever is a must-see for horror fans

Many people consider The Blair Witch project to be the greatest found-footage horror movie ever. Sure, it is agood movie, by all means, and it still has it's fair share of shocks and chills that do affect the viewer while watching it, in this day and age, but, my mind could not be set against it more. No. To me, Paranormal Activity is easilly the best, although when you deal with found footage movies, there are not a lot of very good movies in the genre, because, honestly, let's just face it, already: This genre has had a lot more bombs than hits, but Paranomral Activity is a horror masterpiece in my mind. It so effective, some deeply unnerving and so memorable that by the time you have watched the horrifying final scene, you will be shaking in your boots. Not very many horror movies have that real effect ion you as the viewer, and even less for the found footage horro genre. But, this movie if Rated R, and foir good reason, too: There is very frequent and strong profanity throughout the movie, with about 47 uses of the F-word and its derivatives, but also includes numerous other words such as sh-t, hell, -ss, god, d-mn, and even two comical uses of the middle finger.Also, there is one one very crude but mostly off-screen sex scene, with what had just happened being heavily, obviously and painfully implied. And, finally, there is some very infrequent but intense terror, but, to be honest, there is almost no actual violence in the movie, what so ever. But, the couple also has several very vicious, harsh and loud arguments. So, with that being said, I think that this is a horror movie that is most definitely worth checking out, even for extremely die-hard horror fans, such as myself. So, do yourself a favor, and check it out, already, if you have not yet done so. Reccomended.
Teen, 15 years old Written byElmii January 5, 2012

Not scary at all

I exptected this movie to be really scary since most of my friends who had already seen it told me that it was the scariest movie they had ever seen. While I was watching it I kept on waiting for a scary moment although it never came. The end was kinda scary however overall the movie was disapointing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhomealonefan123 December 28, 2011

great paranormal ghost movie

this 2009 horror film is not scary, the only thing that is scary about this movie is the 3rd ending with the demonized woman. this movie supposed to be real life but the 3rd ending is fake because the person the died in the 3rd ending is still alive. but great horror film. i do not know why this movie should be rated R. i know some PG-13 movies that have more than 1 f word. this movie only has about 15 sh words and about 27 f words, but awesome movie for younger teenagers. if you love paranormal stuff and movies about ghosts this is a movie for you. many kids i know absolutly love this movie. i even love this movie. so if you didn't see this movie, than it is your chance to see it. this movie is fantastic
Parent Written by@@@ December 16, 2011

Is it any good? No, it is utterly useless!

A very disappointing movie that did not have any scares or suspense. It does not terrify whatsoever. The longer you watch, the more bored you get. This is not a "scarefest," it is not terrifying and I have no desire to see the sequels. Movies like these just don't work. The movie spends most of it's time dealing with the lives of the main characters, and a only small portion of the movie is devoted to "scares" that last no longer than two seconds each. You don't worry about what may happen, and I think that any child five or older could watch it without getting nightmares. That's my opinion, anyway, but I'll just recomment the film for people twelve years of age or older, because I'm probably wrong. Overall, this movie is no scarier than your average comedy, just not as funny. It probably would be more terrifying with blood and gore. This is just a Youtube video, nothing more. It's less entertaining than most Youtube videos, and the camerawork here is worse than most Youtube videos. Please don't buy or even rent this film unless you're afraid of everything. You don't need to force yourself to watch this boredom. Awful, useless trash.