All member reviews for Parental Guidance

Predictable family comedy isn't deserving of its stars.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydancer365 December 25, 2012

Great for an older audience.

I did love this movie, but I am after all 14. There was a lot of kissing, and rude humor also once reffering to a girl as really ugly and a man for being blind to propose to her. I felt that was rude and unneccesary, but the audience found it funny. There was some drinking while the couple was on vacation but it wasn't bad at all. No one got drunk, so it was fine. Also, once in the first night scene, the lady wore a revealing top which I don't feel was fit for kids to watch. The movie was very humorous, though, and my family was able to find a connection from the movie into our daily lives. I feel like if you are willing to expose your kids to these things, this movie is a great family movie and it displays a wonderful positive message. It is a very relatable movie, which is what I felt was the most attention grabber for me personally. :)
Parent Written byThe Movie Critic December 31, 2012

Great movie with great meaning

It's the type of movie I like to see with my family beacuse it's not violent,and after the movie is done you feel good that you chose too watch this movie. I hope more of these types of movies exist.Because these movies make you a great person hope you feel the same way too.
Teen, 13 years old Written by18mlove March 20, 2013

Parental Guidance review

If you want a laugh than see this movie. It is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I loved this movie. Other reviews say it has sex in it, but it doesn't (oh ya sex is totally hugging! NOT!!!). I think it gives a good message that you should like people for who they are, not who you want them to be, like your grandparents.
Parent Written bynimswa January 10, 2013

Refreshing

I loved this movie. It's one I'll buy.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byDjeendjeen January 2, 2013

See This Film with Your Children and Grandparents!

We saw this as a multi generational outing despite the review above and I am so glad we did. It was very entertaining for all of us and also had some authentic emotional content. There is a wonderful dimension of the film that illustrates the struggle of grandparents who are trying to connect with their grandchildren and how they succeed, although clumsily. It is a great film that shows that family relationships take honesty, imagination and energy. There is also an extremely touching scene between the grandfather and his grandson who stutters. Through their relationship and an old radio recording of a famous baseball game, the grandson finds a voice and overcomes his stutter. Obviously, the stutter is not cured but it is a very touching moment to see the impact of the new connection that the grandson and grandfather have made. I loved this movie and so did my kids and my mom. And we all loved the part in the movie when Billy Crystal and Bette Midler sang, "Book of Love." For a family that loves to sing, this part will be very fun!
Adult Written bymitmac December 28, 2012

Movie of the Year

My entire family LOVED this movie....the kids laughed and we laughed and cried. So much truth to this movie. "Modern parents" coddle our children too much....such a wake up call. There aren't many movies appropriate for families and entertaining at the same time. Billy Crystal and Bette Midler are PERFECT together in this movie. We've seen it twice so far and will definitely be buying this movie on DVD.
Parent Written bygreenenerg.us July 22, 2014

Unwatchable

The kids in this movie are the most annoying ever. Only time I've supported capital punishment. If I knew a mother like Marisa Tomei in real life, I would encourage her kids to run away from home. As always Billy Crystal makes an unbearable movie somewhat watchable if you have no other choice.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydeJong May 23, 2013

Family friendly

This was a very family friendly movie! It was funny but never inappropriate. This is only mild drinking and references to smoking a cigarette. The world view is views on different types on parenting. It is a very good, cute, touching movie. This is a fav of mine! :D
Parent Written byTW Oconomowoc May 3, 2013

Trailor injustice

The trailers do not do this movie justice. Many very funny scenes. Parents over 40 will appreciate this movie or any parents that can still laugh about various parenting styles. At times this movie is also tender and heartwarming. Our ten year old daughter laughed as hard as her parents during this movie. She even thanked Dad for renting it. We would definitely watch again.
Parent Written byd503364 January 17, 2013

Good family movie

My wife and I saw it together and really enjoyed it. Both of us felt it would be a good family movie for children 10-11 and up.
Adult Written byLowe's man August 19, 2016

A bit of historical insight into childhood.

The artistic quality isn't great, but the message makes up for it. Language is an issue, which is why I put the green light at 9 rather than a younger age, but it's mild and rarely comes up. When the parents left and then briefly came back that "brief" scene lasted too long, and the adjustment period between grandparents and grandchildren lasted too long as well, but bonding between grandparents and grandchildren happens rather soon, and, in the process, the kids became "natural", not the robotic, overcontrolled children that their parents made them out to be. Childhood here, while not idyllic, is, in many ways, the way childhood should be, as well as, in many ways, the way childhood used to be.
Kid, 11 years old November 24, 2015

OK

It's a just okay movie. It's not memorable. I can relate to the girl in the movie who plays the violin, but later she quits. I have NO idea why!
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2013

Really good!

This movie is really awesome! Kids will absolutely love it's humor and how hilarious it is. ESPN in mentioned a LOT, mainly about the X games and Tony Hawk. Other main seen products are an apple ipod, and the Saw movie. Parents drink in one scene and the two parents are in what looks like a club at one point. Overall, a great movie.
Kid, 11 years old June 9, 2013

OK, but I did not like it

alright, but it was predictable
Kid, 12 years old May 23, 2013

Parental Guidance

A movie about these grandparents who want to get closer to their grandchildren but cant can't prove themselves in a good way to the kids' parents. The grandpa messes everything up but finally proves they can take care of kids and not be the other grandparents. Fun movie but kind of predictable but really funny.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKayla502802 May 23, 2013

the grandparents story

this movie is about grandparents that want to visit their grandchildren more and they run into some fun dramatic troubles then they finally get what they wanted.
Parent Written bymichaeljee March 9, 2013

ok

The review doesn't mention the stripper (exercise class)
Parent of an infant, 9, 9, 11, 13, and 16 year old Written byCallie Cate Carson February 22, 2013

Fantastic! took my 11 year old daughter, her 3 friends, and my son!

This movie was fantastic! I took my daughter Eliza Grace (11) and her 3 best friends Abigale (12), Leah (12), and Daniella(13), to go see this (along with my son 13-year-old son Cadence) and they LOVED it! it was hilarious and funny! their was some inappropriate parts and mildly crude humor, but good overrules the bad! definitely take your kids to see this! I also enjoyed this too so if you have no kids, I still highly recommend it!
Parent Written byMovies First January 18, 2013

Very funny, don't miss Parental Guidance

This is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a very long time. There is almost no bathroom humor and just great writing. The kids will laugh at the obvious and really miss most of the jokes since they are made for adults. Billy Crystal is at his best being Billy Crystal. One of the funniest scenes is Billy as Voodoo Grandpa. If you want a pick me up, go see this movie. You won't be disappointed.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypotterypot January 3, 2013

A really good family movie with good values

Finally! A good movie with good actors that both children and adults can enjoy. Our whole family (from 12 to 60) enjoyed this movie immensely. The acting is great, and the script is, too, resulting in lots of laugh-out-loud moments for all of us. It was really nice to see a movie where there's no swearing and no one acting supremely inappropriately. The critics missed the boat. Don't any of them have children? This is a FAMILY MOVIE, people! They must have lost sight of what a family movie is supposed to be.