All member reviews for Parental Guidance

Predictable family comedy isn't deserving of its stars.

Parent Written byThe Movie Critic December 31, 2012

Great movie with great meaning

It's the type of movie I like to see with my family beacuse it's not violent,and after the movie is done you feel good that you chose too watch this movie. I hope more of these types of movies exist.Because these movies make you a great person hope you feel the same way too.
Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 December 27, 2012

Funny, touching family comedy has an awful first 20 minutes but then becomes funny, enjoyable, and though cliched and predictable, well done. Welcome back to the big screen Billy Crystal

Teen, 14 years old Written bydancer365 December 25, 2012

Great for an older audience.

I did love this movie, but I am after all 14. There was a lot of kissing, and rude humor also once reffering to a girl as really ugly and a man for being blind to propose to her. I felt that was rude and unneccesary, but the audience found it funny. There was some drinking while the couple was on vacation but it wasn't bad at all. No one got drunk, so it was fine. Also, once in the first night scene, the lady wore a revealing top which I don't feel was fit for kids to watch. The movie was very humorous, though, and my family was able to find a connection from the movie into our daily lives. I feel like if you are willing to expose your kids to these things, this movie is a great family movie and it displays a wonderful positive message. It is a very relatable movie, which is what I felt was the most attention grabber for me personally. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written by18mlove March 20, 2013

Parental Guidance review

If you want a laugh than see this movie. It is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I loved this movie. Other reviews say it has sex in it, but it doesn't (oh ya sex is totally hugging! NOT!!!). I think it gives a good message that you should like people for who they are, not who you want them to be, like your grandparents.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydeJong May 23, 2013

Family friendly

This was a very family friendly movie! It was funny but never inappropriate. This is only mild drinking and references to smoking a cigarette. The world view is views on different types on parenting. It is a very good, cute, touching movie. This is a fav of mine! :D
Adult Written bymitmac December 28, 2012

Movie of the Year

My entire family LOVED this movie....the kids laughed and we laughed and cried. So much truth to this movie. "Modern parents" coddle our children too much....such a wake up call. There aren't many movies appropriate for families and entertaining at the same time. Billy Crystal and Bette Midler are PERFECT together in this movie. We've seen it twice so far and will definitely be buying this movie on DVD.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright May 27, 2013

Another dumb movie. What is the world coming to?

I saw some of the commercials for this. All I can say is OH MY GOD WHY?! I mean really, what is wrong with the world today? Painfully unfunny and obviously not made for kids. And that's just from the trailer alone. I already saw one that had the line, "Can I call you farty?" SAID BY A KID! Not to mention DURING SPONGEBOB! Adding insult-to-injury is the fact that the review here talks about all the other bad potty humor and grossness they put in this. I thought we were over that! When are people gonna realize that THAT IS NOT FUNNY! And it NEVER WILL BE! Also, this has a rating of 18% from Rotten Tomatoes. I think that says it all. And Billy Crystal is in this? Why? He voiced the loveable Mike Wazowski in Monsters, Inc. (a prequel called Monsters University is coming out this summer.) And why is Bette Midler in this or that horrid Cats & Dogs sequel? (no I didn't see that either, just heard it was awful. And the first Cats & Dogs was actually okay.) See was in a great Disney movie too, in Oliver & Company. So yeah, skip this, watch those other two movies or any other great movie that I reviewed instead. It seems like I'm the only person on here that hates this type of movie AND thinks it's inappropriate. I'm sorry to be the first party-pooper, but I feel I should tell it like it is. I HOPE I'm not the only one who feels this way, and that I won't be the last to say this. But yeah, for me, this is on par with The Obnoxious Oogieloves, minus the G rating. -9000/10
Parent Written bymichaeljee March 9, 2013

ok

The review doesn't mention the stripper (exercise class)
Parent Written byMovies First January 18, 2013

Very funny, don't miss Parental Guidance

This is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a very long time. There is almost no bathroom humor and just great writing. The kids will laugh at the obvious and really miss most of the jokes since they are made for adults. Billy Crystal is at his best being Billy Crystal. One of the funniest scenes is Billy as Voodoo Grandpa. If you want a pick me up, go see this movie. You won't be disappointed.
Parent Written bynimswa January 10, 2013

Refreshing

I loved this movie. It's one I'll buy.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypotterypot January 3, 2013

A really good family movie with good values

Finally! A good movie with good actors that both children and adults can enjoy. Our whole family (from 12 to 60) enjoyed this movie immensely. The acting is great, and the script is, too, resulting in lots of laugh-out-loud moments for all of us. It was really nice to see a movie where there's no swearing and no one acting supremely inappropriately. The critics missed the boat. Don't any of them have children? This is a FAMILY MOVIE, people! They must have lost sight of what a family movie is supposed to be.
Written byAnonymous October 11, 2014

Crass billy crystal comedy has typical jokes and mild profanity but laughs

My rating:PG-13 for crude humor,sexuality,nudity,drug use and language
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2013

Really good!

This movie is really awesome! Kids will absolutely love it's humor and how hilarious it is. ESPN in mentioned a LOT, mainly about the X games and Tony Hawk. Other main seen products are an apple ipod, and the Saw movie. Parents drink in one scene and the two parents are in what looks like a club at one point. Overall, a great movie.
Kid, 11 years old June 9, 2013

OK, but I did not like it

alright, but it was predictable
Kid, 12 years old May 23, 2013

Parental Guidance

A movie about these grandparents who want to get closer to their grandchildren but cant can't prove themselves in a good way to the kids' parents. The grandpa messes everything up but finally proves they can take care of kids and not be the other grandparents. Fun movie but kind of predictable but really funny.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKayla502802 May 23, 2013

the grandparents story

this movie is about grandparents that want to visit their grandchildren more and they run into some fun dramatic troubles then they finally get what they wanted.
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2013

Parental Guidance was a cute, feel good movie!

I loved this movie! Its perfects for tweens to see! Any kid under twelve I think wouldn't understand the true message of this movie but there is barely any sex or violence in this movies and very few language. Its a really cute movie for the whole family!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byDjeendjeen January 2, 2013

See This Film with Your Children and Grandparents!

We saw this as a multi generational outing despite the review above and I am so glad we did. It was very entertaining for all of us and also had some authentic emotional content. There is a wonderful dimension of the film that illustrates the struggle of grandparents who are trying to connect with their grandchildren and how they succeed, although clumsily. It is a great film that shows that family relationships take honesty, imagination and energy. There is also an extremely touching scene between the grandfather and his grandson who stutters. Through their relationship and an old radio recording of a famous baseball game, the grandson finds a voice and overcomes his stutter. Obviously, the stutter is not cured but it is a very touching moment to see the impact of the new connection that the grandson and grandfather have made. I loved this movie and so did my kids and my mom. And we all loved the part in the movie when Billy Crystal and Bette Midler sang, "Book of Love." For a family that loves to sing, this part will be very fun!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCole9678 December 28, 2012

Pair in til guy dance (see what i did there?)

This movie was VERY funny, but it's one of those comedies that are going to bore the kids because they won't know what's going on. Billy Crystal, of course, does his hilarious improv works of art, which made the movie more enjoyable. There isn't anything inappropriate in the movie except for this scene in the beginning which has a bunch of old women in a room pole dancing, but they were fully clothed and I don't think kids would get the picture. This movie is more appealing for families with 12 to 15 year old kids rather than 7 to 9 year old kids, but it would definitely be labeled under the family section if you ask me. So overall, not the BEST movie, but not a WASTE or bad movie.
Kid, 9 years old July 25, 2015

great for the family

kids under 5 shouldn't watch this movie alone just because of some mild (and I mean mild) squirt gun violence