All member reviews for Paul

Cheerfully dumb sci-fi comedy has sex, drug humor.

Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byJennyyn April 10, 2011

My 14-year-old son and I love it. I thought it was a clever plot and very funny, well-written dialogue. If you like Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's other parodies (i.e. "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz") you'll probably like this one. Similar humor. There's some swearing, leering at three-breasted aliens on a magazine cover, some pot smoking and shooting from the guys who are chasing after Paul. Also potty humor and jokes about "alien balls." I was fine with my son watching it because he's fairly mature and I think it's a lot milder than some of the movies aimed at teenagers out there. Like Pegg and Frost's other movies, there's a sweetness about it and some redeeming message about friendship. I would definitely NOT recommend it if your teen is immature or easily swayed by media images (due to the pot-smoking); otherwise, I think it's fine for ages 14 and up.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byalanps April 11, 2011

I loved Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead, but this was a let down. The two lead characters are very like-able but some of the humor is simply mean spirited. The mockery of Christianity is harsh and just not funny - and the constant bad language just get tedious after a while.... a shame, it really could have been a much much better movie.
Kid, 12 years old May 8, 2011

Go See It

I went to see this in theaters and me and my younger brother loved this movie. My parents didn't like it. They cussed in just about every sentence, but it was great.
Kid, 11 years old April 9, 2011

Mature or Not That is the Question

I think this movie is hillarious but should not be seen by kids who are not mature anough to see it. For example you can be 11 and see it but shouldn't talk about it at school or share the "message" of the movie
Kid, 11 years old April 10, 2011

Not for kids or immature teens.

Wheni saw the commercial, it didn't seem bad because it didn't reveal much. But then i saw a full review.... In short, it's not for kids. Maybe mature kids, though.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byperrinster March 22, 2011

for teens and older

Rated R mostly for language, anti-christian themes, and some talk of - not actually shown- sexual situations. There was also a short scene involving drinking and smoking a joint. While some of the talk of sex made my 13 year old son and I uncomfortable briefly, overall he quite enjoyed it. I did too. I would allow more mature 13 year olds to see this movie. The championing of science over creationism was refreshing to both of us. The language and sexual situations discussed, again -not shown, in this movie is nothing that kids don't talk about amongst each other. This movie was made by the same guys who made Shawn of the Dead and is full of inside jokes from classic sci-fi movies. If you have a responsible child who understands that drinking and drugs are bad and have had the whole sex talk with- go for it. These parts were a small part of the movie. Overall- the movie was very good.
Teen, 14 years old Written byteenybopper22 March 26, 2011

Space-Man Balls!

I went to see this with my 19 year old cousin and my 16 year old brother and we were all laughing through it, the only reason it was rated-r is because the christian girl overused swearing and grabbed one of the guys' junk.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybanana man13 April 25, 2011

11 plus is fine

good gory in on part lots of sexual content langue is every 5 seconds but i give it five stars
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygood parent74 April 2, 2011

good movie

it's a funny movie.just has the f bomb and other sexual language.but still, your kid would love it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGreg Foltynowicz March 29, 2011

for teens and older teens

lots of bad language. It is basically just F words
Parent of a 14 year old Written byBryantArkansasRiver March 21, 2011

WARNING: Not for Christian families

This website's review of "Paul" exaggerates the amount of profanity in the film, as it isn't uttered in the tone of most R-rated comedies. Honestly, this movie really should be rated PG-13. If you're in a family that has a typical liberal lifestyle and you're okay with kids seeing pot smoking, cursing, and the like, then this movie is fine for your kids to see. It's good to an extent, and it's not great, since the only humorous merit of it is a few geek points that just get tired as the movie goes along. Pegg, Frost, and co. put out a real disappointment here. Of course, the title of this review does not refer to any of the complaints so far mentioned. CommONSense Media seems more liberal and PC by the day, so they neglected to mention the following plot point to Christian parents who view this site. Part of the plot centers around a fundamentalist Christian woman (Kristen Wiig) who gets picked up by the lead characters. She and her father are portrayed as radical caricatures of Christian America. Paul approves of all religions...except for all "Judeo-Christian denominations." It only goes downhill from there, as the title alien helps convert Wiig's character to atheism, in part due to his mere existence. She feels enlightened by her conversion, and proceeds to become a significant source of the film's profanity. Again, Commonsense is just too PC to cover this significant, blasphemous, and unnecessary turn-off to Christian families.
Adult Written bykhan2705 March 19, 2011

a very entertaining enjoyable witty comedy.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) reunite for the comedy adventure Paul as two sci-fi geeks whose pilgrimage takes them to America's UFO heartland. While there, they accidentally meet an alien who brings them on an insane road trip that alters their universe forever. For the past 60 years, an alien named Paul (Seth Rogen) has been hanging out at a top-secret military base. For reasons unknown, the space-traveling smart ass decides to escape the compound and hop on the first vehicle out of town -- a rented RV containing Earthlings Graeme Willy (Pegg) and Clive Gollings (Frost). Chased by federal agents and the fanatical father of a young woman that they accidentally kidnap, Graeme and Clive hatch a fumbling escape plan to return Paul to his mother ship. And as two nerds struggle to help, one little green man might just take his fellow outcasts from misfits to intergalactic heroes. Paul is directed by Superbad's Greg Mottola, from a story by Pegg & Frost. Joining the comedy's cast are Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Blythe Danner, Joe Lo Truglio, John Carroll Lynch, David Koechner and Sigourney Weaver. what a absolute entertaining movie it is. i had this strange feeling about this movie that it will turn out a good movie, which it did. it is a very good hearted comedy. very funny geek comedy with aliens and some action. cast was so diverse. no doubt the most entertaining good movie of this year till now. ofcourse not actually a performance based movie but i like this so diverse cast. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kristen wiig, Jane Lynch, Seth Rogen, Jason Bateman, Sigourney Weaver, Bill Hader and other familiar faces. screenplay was kind of well written and smart script. plot was good. action was very much few in it but very good and quite accurate. paul make up or visual effect was good. editing was good too. this movie has language in it which i loved, lol. very funny and laugh out loud scenes in it. i really liked watching this movie and had an absolute good time. enjoyable movie, Do watch it guys.
Parent of a 5, 11, and 14 year old Written bystyxrox69 March 27, 2011

If you are a Christian, and don't like having your faith ridiculed, avoid this movie. It stereotypes Christians as little more than brain-washed morons. A woman is "freed" from her chains of religion, healed by the alien's powers, and goes on to explore her ability to curse and lose her inhibitions. The alien is funny, the movie is good, but it isn't a classic. The story is about an alien trying to get back to his home, and how two nerdy Brits deal with his antics.
Adult Written byLouiebouy April 1, 2011

This is ET gone bad

Oh my! This is ET gone bad. This movieis pure mainstream hollywood at its worst. Where do I start? There is a constant flipant degradation of Christians, constant vulgar language, constant sexual banter, constant drug use, etc... Do not permit anyone under 18 to go to this movie. PS: cast is from Saturday Nite Live - but at the R-21 rating level if there was one.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBrandon4News April 3, 2011

Funny comedy is fine for teens.

Violence- 4/10 Sexual Content- 7.5/10 Language- 8/10 Drinking/Drugs/Smoking- 6/10 Bad Role Models- 8/10 Overall Quality- 7/10
Teen, 13 years old Written byghs1441 April 3, 2011

Funny and age appropriate

The movie was very funny and regardless of what the reviewer says, extremely clever. There were so many hilarious references to older sci fi movies and the silly/dumb stuff was put in there so that the movie didn't go completely over peoples' heads. The only innapropriate things about the movie was the language (which was so funnily colorful) and the role models (the characters partake in plenty of illegal/immoral activity.) But the message is really positive, which is to not discriminate or not care about people just because they're different. Overall, very cute, clever, and funny film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 3, 2011

Paul is a comedy about a alien who comes to planet earth

What to watch out for * Messages: On the surface, the movie seems to celebrate iffy behavior. But at the same time, several human heroes do learn empathy and tolerance toward the alien visitor. Ultimately, this is one of those stories in which a laid-back character attempts to loosen up an uptight, repressed character (or, in this case, two uptight repressed characters). Close More On the surface, the movie seems to celebrate if… * Role models: The main (human) characters are two well-meaning nerdy types with very little life experience. The alien loosens them up, and they engage in plenty of questionable behavior, but they also eventually work hard and risk their lives to solve the alien's problem. Some jokes are made at other groups' expense. Close More The main (human) characters are two well-mea… * Violence: Fantasy violence includes some comic fighting (including a bar fight) and some shooting, with gunshot wounds. There are also some threatening characters, an image of the alien eating a bird, and the suggestion of a hurt dog. Close More Fantasy violence includes some comic fighting (… * Sex: A nearly constant stream of sexual innuendo, mostly for humorous effect. At a comic convention, the main characters check out several sexy "Princess Leias" (in costume). A drawing of an alien girl with three breasts is referenced several times. A shot of the alien's naked buttocks. Close More A nearly constant stream of sexual innuendo, mostly… * Language: Near-constant use of "f--k" and "s--t," plus "p---y," "c--k," "c--ksucker," "a*s," "son of a bi*ch," "hell," "t-ts," "pee," "Jesus Christ" (as an exclamation), "butt," "d--k," "pr**k," "d**n," "c**p," "god*amn," and an image of a raised middle finger. * Consumerism: A mention of Reese's Pieces in reference to E.T. Since the movie begins at a comic book convention, there's also a stream of various references to comic books and other sci-fi stuff. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: The alien smokes both cigarettes and pot; he shares his pot with one character, but it proves too strong, and she passes out. The main characters also drink beer and get drunk.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMASSICLIKPERCYJ... March 29, 2011

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

my friends made me watch this horrid disgust movie. I'd rather watch anything elze mannnnnnnnnnnn I mean look up sumething else. U wasting time @ this page.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFacebooker April 2, 2011

It was sometimes very uncalled for but other than that thought it was funny.
Teen, 14 years old Written byantoineisthebest March 27, 2011

the movie should be pg-13

why is it rated r it's the funnyest movie ever