All member reviews for Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Just as charming and curious as it was in 1985.

Adult Written bydaveng April 9, 2008

very funny

this movie is mostly zany, comical and off the wall. There are a few points that might be objectionable - there's one scene where an ex-con wields a gun, there's a scene in a bar where the patrons (a biker gang) talk about hanging and killing pee wee for knocking over their bikes (the bikers are more cartoonish then realistic, and eventually become friends with pee wee). In the bar, people are consuming alcohol. In an earlier scene, there's some very, very mild sexual innuendo between pee wee and a waitress.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Great, Bizarre, and Hilarious!

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is a hilarious film, and it's worth noting that this is Tim Burton's first movie, and it's a great start for a great director. It's approrpiate for kids about 5 or older, although the scenes with the creepy clowns and Large Marge may be a bit too creepy. Pee Wee says 'crappy' and 'burn in hell' is sang in a song. Good for kids 5 or 6+
Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2010
Loved this movie. I've watched it like five times. His awesome humor is so stinking cool!!! Love it!!!
Parent Written byseverus23 May 9, 2012

Nightmarish!!!

Commonsense is way off on this one, I think. There are a number of very scary scenes, Large Marge in particular. With a mounting sense of foreboding, Marge (while driving PeeWee in a big semi) recounts the story of a disturbing, gruesome, & fatal accident; at the end, her face suddenly and massively deforms in a very disturbing way, plus it's jump-out-of-the-closet shocking. (Turns out Marge was the one in the accident, and is now a ghost.) Totally freaked my 8 y old out, not to mention myself! Google "large marge" and you'll find plenty of people reminiscing about how this scene was the scariest thing in their entire chilldhood. Avoid until they're older.
Parent Written byjknoxwhite April 9, 2008

Wacky Fun for the whole family

Some of the jokes may go over the head of kids under 10, but the unique humor grabs everyone.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

i loved it

sweet and charming thats all i have to say
Parent Written byRebecca2221 April 22, 2013

Caution to even the not-so-sensitive viewers.

I missed seeing this when it came out in 1985, so I didn't know what to expect. After reading the review on commonsense.org, it seemed like it was something our family might enjoy. My 7 year old, who does not spook easily, had nightmares from the movie, so the warnings in the review were a little understated. There is a truck driver whose eyes pop out of her head - a moment that was scary to ages 7, 10, and parents. Also, there is some inappropriate behavior and language and smoking. All in all, I regretted hitting play within 3 minutes of the movie starting and that feeling never went away. There's no harm in passing on this one!
Adult Written bybdh July 3, 2011

good movie

funny family movie
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny April 13, 2011

Super funny!

If there was anyone weirder and wackier than Peewee Herman I would be very well surprised. I never really thought much about Peewee before, but after this movie I do. He is now one of my favorite children's television icons. The movie itself is highly entertaining and comedic. I found the part where Peewee was trying escape on his bicycle laugh-out-loud funny. Where the Santa Clause and Godzilla are being dragged on the sleigh. The movie is moderately child-friendly. There is a kissing scene in Peewee's movie, he also says "crappy", and "burn in hell" sung over and over again in one part, but it isn't that bad compared to other movie's I've seen before. It may not be a classic, but it is for me.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 5, 2012

So Good

This is one of my personal favorites, but some people may find Pee Wee very annoying
Teen, 15 years old Written bywillbarchi April 9, 2008

woo! Cult Classic!

oooh, what a great movie. The breakfast machine and large marge are all classic scenes. Some parts are questionable... Pee-wee can be bratty and crazy at times (mainly around Francis) and there is abit of mild language...(pee-wee says crappy, hell is used aswell as some violent language used by the bikers...) and some scary scenes (large marge always freaks me out and those clowns are creepy!) Overall, a hilarious movie for everyone to enjoy
Adult Written byBobslob April 9, 2008

GREATEST MOVIE EVER!

This movie has aleays been one of my favorites!!! I love it! PeeWee is the funniest guyu around and he doesn't shy away from the serious stuff either. I can't believe Paul Reubens hasn't become more of a star after this movie because the humor is great and the jokes keep me laughing for hours on end. When PeeWee jumps on his bike and rides through the movie sets and a dinosaur falls in Santas slay, I can't believe what I'm watching! Great for everyone!
Teen, 15 years old Written byKmfan97 September 19, 2015

defenitley a great comedy film from one of my all time favorite film makers tim burton! they just dont make movies like this anymore:-(

I'm 15 and I have loved tim burton ever since my mom took me to a 3d 're release of the nightmare before christmas when I was a little kid so I decided I would watch this today on netflix because I kept hearing great things about it first of all and second the actress erica yohn who played mama mousekawitz in one of my favorite animated movies an american tail was in this movie playing the small part of madame ruby. Mainly the first reason though. In case you don't know the plot it's about pee wee herman played by paul rubens who loves the bike that he owns so much it's practically his wife and one day when it gets stolen he goes on a road trip across america to get it back. And the whole movie is a fun roller coaster ride of insane laughter and craziness. Like I said just now the movie is really hilarious and the majority of the great comedy comes from paul rubens as pee wee who several years ago had controversy surrounding him. He's doing just fine now however and let's definitely not go into detail about the controversy surrounding rubens. I think this movie definitely is appropriate for young kids to see you just have to be careful when you let a kid under say 9 years old watch it because pee wee does have two dreams in the movie that little ones may be frightened by, especially the dream he has near the end which has a bunch of scary clowns. Despite me being in my teens I was still pretty creeped out by thatscene so I say that you should avoid it if you're really afraid of clowns or just fast forward through the scene. Plus if you don't see it coming the large marge scene could startle even older viewers. I knew it was coming before I saw it so I didn't get scared but I might have been if I didn't know. Theare is no sex in this movie but the closest thing to that is in a scene where you see a woman wearing a dress that reveals cleavage. No swear words either but the sentence burn in hell is used a couple times during the climax and there is one use of crap soif you don't allow your kids to say that word make sure they don't repeat it. I know I wasn't allowed to say crap when I was younger. Overall this was a fantastic movie and I highly recommend that you watch it with your kids because it's funny, it has a good story, it has good and funny characters especially pee wee. What more could you want? Go and watch this right now if you have the netflix streaming service!
Teen, 14 years old Written byyont_fabnegation July 10, 2015

Love it!

Haha this movie was hilarious! I think I saw this a few years ago, maybe when I was 9ish but I thought it was the best thing ever! ^_^
Kid, 9 years old September 9, 2013

News Flash: The Rebel Gets Famous!

Great movie. Pee-wee and his bike star in their own movie. Pee- where's neighbor, Francis, yells some language at him and steals his bike. There is one gun point by a criminal Pee-Wee is sitting next to in a car. That car falls off a cliff, and Pee-Wee is left in the middle of nowhere. In the movie, Warner Bros. Studios is involved because they have his bike. He takes it, flees, and rescues pets from a fire in a pet shop. In the end, Warner Bros. makes his adventure in to a action movie with famous actors and actresses. In the beginning, they fight a gang of ninjas. They show it at Pee- Wee's favorite drive-in. His breakfast machine is pretty cool, too. My name is bookiereviewer42.
Parent Written bymowensmd December 29, 2012

This is not for kids under 8-9 unless you SKIP LARGE MARGE!!

The one other review here is spot on about LARGE MARGE. The other nightmare scene and the bar are tolerable for 6-7 y/o's, but the shock you out of your pants scary scene with Large Marge truly will haunt your kids. My 7 y/o hasn't slept since seeing this unexpectedly. I HIGHLY recommend skipping this scene if you choose to show it to kids under 8-9.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byCarolina-Mom March 20, 2012

Pee-Wee is classic!

I've loved this movie since it was first released. I recently showed it to my two daughters, ages 11 and 7, and they laughed hysterically through the whole thing. There is one scene that is mildly scary. It involves a big rig on a dark highway. I warned my younger daughter when we got to that part, and she ended up laughing through it. I really thought it would freak her out and give her nightmares, but she was fine. There are also a few other questionable scenes, one with a biker bar and one with an escaped convict. But it was all exagerrated to the point of rediculousness. This movie is so silly. You can't help but laugh at it just because of how crazy it is, and at his goofy expressions. To make it even better, the musical score was done by Danny Elfman.
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

5 stars!

I just love this movie! It's totally safe and innocent and Paul Reubens (Pee Wee) is a hilarious classic character. It's perfect for the whole family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 25, 2011

Not Bad At All

Pee-wee says "crap". That is it for language. The only thing even a little bit bad is that at one point in the movie, Pee-wee says he's a "rebel" which brings up gangs and so forth. Other than those elements, the movie is not bad at all.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMr. Karl May 21, 2010

fine for 8+

It was just enough to pass despite my concern for the movie itself.