All member reviews for Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Just as charming and curious as it was in 1985.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Great, Bizarre, and Hilarious!

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is a hilarious film, and it's worth noting that this is Tim Burton's first movie, and it's a great start for a great director. It's approrpiate for kids about 5 or older, although the scenes with the creepy clowns and Large Marge may be a bit too creepy. Pee Wee says 'crappy' and 'burn in hell' is sang in a song. Good for kids 5 or 6+
Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2010

Loved this movie. I've watched it like five times. His awesome humor is so stinking cool!!! Love it!!!
Adult Written bydaveng April 9, 2008

very funny

this movie is mostly zany, comical and off the wall. There are a few points that might be objectionable - there's one scene where an ex-con wields a gun, there's a scene in a bar where the patrons (a biker gang) talk about hanging and killing pee wee for knocking over their bikes (the bikers are more cartoonish then realistic, and eventually become friends with pee wee). In the bar, people are consuming alcohol. In an earlier scene, there's some very, very mild sexual innuendo between pee wee and a waitress.
Parent Written byseverus23 May 9, 2012

Nightmarish!!!

Commonsense is way off on this one, I think. There are a number of very scary scenes, Large Marge in particular. With a mounting sense of foreboding, Marge (while driving PeeWee in a big semi) recounts the story of a disturbing, gruesome, & fatal accident; at the end, her face suddenly and massively deforms in a very disturbing way, plus it's jump-out-of-the-closet shocking. (Turns out Marge was the one in the accident, and is now a ghost.) Totally freaked my 8 y old out, not to mention myself! Google "large marge" and you'll find plenty of people reminiscing about how this scene was the scariest thing in their entire chilldhood. Avoid until they're older.
Parent Written byjknoxwhite April 9, 2008

Wacky Fun for the whole family

Some of the jokes may go over the head of kids under 10, but the unique humor grabs everyone.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny April 13, 2011

Super funny!

If there was anyone weirder and wackier than Peewee Herman I would be very well surprised. I never really thought much about Peewee before, but after this movie I do. He is now one of my favorite children's television icons. The movie itself is highly entertaining and comedic. I found the part where Peewee was trying escape on his bicycle laugh-out-loud funny. Where the Santa Clause and Godzilla are being dragged on the sleigh. The movie is moderately child-friendly. There is a kissing scene in Peewee's movie, he also says "crappy", and "burn in hell" sung over and over again in one part, but it isn't that bad compared to other movie's I've seen before. It may not be a classic, but it is for me.
Parent Written byRebecca2221 April 22, 2013

Caution to even the not-so-sensitive viewers.

I missed seeing this when it came out in 1985, so I didn't know what to expect. After reading the review on commonsense.org, it seemed like it was something our family might enjoy. My 7 year old, who does not spook easily, had nightmares from the movie, so the warnings in the review were a little understated. There is a truck driver whose eyes pop out of her head - a moment that was scary to ages 7, 10, and parents. Also, there is some inappropriate behavior and language and smoking. All in all, I regretted hitting play within 3 minutes of the movie starting and that feeling never went away. There's no harm in passing on this one!
Parent Written bymowensmd December 29, 2012

This is not for kids under 8-9 unless you SKIP LARGE MARGE!!

The one other review here is spot on about LARGE MARGE. The other nightmare scene and the bar are tolerable for 6-7 y/o's, but the shock you out of your pants scary scene with Large Marge truly will haunt your kids. My 7 y/o hasn't slept since seeing this unexpectedly. I HIGHLY recommend skipping this scene if you choose to show it to kids under 8-9.
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

5 stars!

I just love this movie! It's totally safe and innocent and Paul Reubens (Pee Wee) is a hilarious classic character. It's perfect for the whole family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 25, 2011

Not Bad At All

Pee-wee says "crap". That is it for language. The only thing even a little bit bad is that at one point in the movie, Pee-wee says he's a "rebel" which brings up gangs and so forth. Other than those elements, the movie is not bad at all.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywillbarchi April 9, 2008

woo! Cult Classic!

oooh, what a great movie. The breakfast machine and large marge are all classic scenes. Some parts are questionable... Pee-wee can be bratty and crazy at times (mainly around Francis) and there is abit of mild language...(pee-wee says crappy, hell is used aswell as some violent language used by the bikers...) and some scary scenes (large marge always freaks me out and those clowns are creepy!) Overall, a hilarious movie for everyone to enjoy
Adult Written byBobslob April 9, 2008

GREATEST MOVIE EVER!

This movie has aleays been one of my favorites!!! I love it! PeeWee is the funniest guyu around and he doesn't shy away from the serious stuff either. I can't believe Paul Reubens hasn't become more of a star after this movie because the humor is great and the jokes keep me laughing for hours on end. When PeeWee jumps on his bike and rides through the movie sets and a dinosaur falls in Santas slay, I can't believe what I'm watching! Great for everyone!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

i loved it

sweet and charming thats all i have to say
Teen, 14 years old Written byyont_fabnegation July 10, 2015

Love it!

Haha this movie was hilarious! I think I saw this a few years ago, maybe when I was 9ish but I thought it was the best thing ever! ^_^
Parent Written bymatts5 February 6, 2015

Good with questionable spots

Another fun, iconic movie from my childhood that reminded me that the 80s were a bit less sensitive than we are now. We skipped over Large Marge and the evil clown/devil doctors that dance around his bike and that was fine but a few moments in the movie are in there that might shock you and might not suit a more sensitive parent or child.
Kid, 12 years old March 11, 2014

THIS IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER!!!

Kid, 9 years old September 9, 2013

News Flash: The Rebel Gets Famous!

Great movie. Pee-wee and his bike star in their own movie. Pee- where's neighbor, Francis, yells some language at him and steals his bike. There is one gun point by a criminal Pee-Wee is sitting next to in a car. That car falls off a cliff, and Pee-Wee is left in the middle of nowhere. In the movie, Warner Bros. Studios is involved because they have his bike. He takes it, flees, and rescues pets from a fire in a pet shop. In the end, Warner Bros. makes his adventure in to a action movie with famous actors and actresses. In the beginning, they fight a gang of ninjas. They show it at Pee- Wee's favorite drive-in. His breakfast machine is pretty cool, too. My name is bookiereviewer42.
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 February 18, 2013

Shugo: IT DIDN'T AFFECT ME. *PUNCHES* You: Oh shoot, she's in yandere mode.......

ナニ? What?
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byCarolina-Mom March 20, 2012

Pee-Wee is classic!

I've loved this movie since it was first released. I recently showed it to my two daughters, ages 11 and 7, and they laughed hysterically through the whole thing. There is one scene that is mildly scary. It involves a big rig on a dark highway. I warned my younger daughter when we got to that part, and she ended up laughing through it. I really thought it would freak her out and give her nightmares, but she was fine. There are also a few other questionable scenes, one with a biker bar and one with an escaped convict. But it was all exagerrated to the point of rediculousness. This movie is so silly. You can't help but laugh at it just because of how crazy it is, and at his goofy expressions. To make it even better, the musical score was done by Danny Elfman.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 5, 2012

So Good

This is one of my personal favorites, but some people may find Pee Wee very annoying