All member reviews for Penelope

Offbeat romantic comedy is sweet but lightweight.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBloody Gorgeous March 10, 2009

Lovable Love Story!

This movie was great! A long time ago there a curse was set on the next baby girl born in the family. Penelope is the first one. After a gazillion guys, one who actually might love her shows up. But he's not rich so he doesn't accept her. He wants her to break the spell and be happy. That to me was so sweet. This guy - James McAvoy - did a great job. Of course it ends with the finally every after but I don't want to expose much for those who haven't seen it. Its like a fairy tale and told like one, so its pretty cool for the whole family. All the actors were great. The worse things they show are gambling and drinking and two kisses. Like if they were a huge factor! Watch this movie its a lot of Fun!
Parent of a 5, 6, and 9 year old Written bymama p December 17, 2010

Teen, 15 years old Written bygeckogirl August 3, 2010

A very good movie! My older sister and I loved it!
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written bywillowfaierie July 5, 2009

The movie teaches kids to believe in theirselves.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bymotheroftwins2 March 5, 2009

Twisted dark fairytale- horror-"lite" for tweens and up

In the first 10 minutes alone, the mother is horrified and embarrassed about her daughter looks, fakes her daughter's death to get the news cameras away and then they show the casket entering the creamatorium, flames and all. It only gets worse from there. I would say 12 and up. Adult themes and definately not a disney movie. Yes, it revolves around the "love yourself" theme, but at one point she states that if the curse isn't broken she'll kill herself. YES, she actually says that. My daughter asked me what that meant. I was horrified. What turns her "normal" again is a nice touch, but it has too much of a "Tim Burton film feel" as one of the other reviewers stated. If you won't allow your child to see corpse bride or nightmare before Christmas, or even coaraline (not by Burton but close enough), I'd skip this one too. At least this one wasn't marketed to the very young. Christina Ricci was excellent in this role. And Catherine O'Hara is charmingly repulsive as the mother. The scene in the car is a touch scary as another reviewer stated (it happens when the 2 bad guys are sitting in their car- if you watch it, look out at that point for a horribly disfigured version of Penelope) but throughout the entire movie I kept saying to my family "does she really look that bad to you?" as people ran away from her screaming. Ricci is too adorable, and even a pig nose can't hide that. We also discussed the fact that she shouldn't want to marry a guy that doesn't like her for who she really is.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Parent Written byManon10 July 21, 2012

Some language/ innuendo problems

If you want to watch this with your family, be advised: there is mild language (d**n, s**t). the one-eyed guy flips the bird, and at the very beginning, our kids were trying to figure out how a Wilhelm couple could have a baby that was really a Jones. I don't think this is really for younger kids at all. My 16yo didn't appreciate the language either, which seemed out of place in an otherwise cutesy show. I don't think the director exactly knew who his/her target audience was; this was part "Mirror, Mirror"and part "Fools Rush In". We mostly enjoyed it, but sometimes we were just hanging on to see how the story ended.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byAimeeblue June 13, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written byMoony718 January 14, 2015

A Favorite

Great soundtrack, great cast, and really artsy. They combine modern with vintage, and have a mix of English and American cast, so you can never tell where it's supposed to take place. The reason I say nine and up is that there is some mild cursing (da** or hel_). Many kids younger than that could probably see it. It's most enjoyable for kids 5th grade and up.
Adult Written byeckey03 June 9, 2012

Penelope

This is an awesome movie--great moral values (love yourself the way you are, etc.) it faces several issues which are prevalent in our society today such as vanity and selfishness, however, I would say it is intended for an older youth audience despite following many fairy tale conventions. Crude language is used and hand gestures (Peter Dinklage--hillarious!). All in all, a terrific movie, but generally not meant for childrens' eyes.
Kid, 12 years old December 11, 2011

Pretty good

Its a pretty good movie, me and my sister enjoyed it. Definitely a tween sleepover movie
Teen, 14 years old Written bykatieopen August 20, 2011

too much for young kids

its too much based on a man througing all his money away on gambling and playing cards.not a very good kissing scene
Kid, 9 years old April 8, 2011

this movie rocks. it is a great family film. there is a book 2
Teen, 13 years old Written byMissydooda April 8, 2011

This is a great movie. It had me laughing, then crying, and then laughing again! it is a twist on a romantic modern fairy tale. i just loved it! there is some bad words in it, but nothing too bad. i mean it is pg so it cant b 2 bad. there is a kissing scene, but it is not too bad. if u r worried about it cover your kids eyes. my 9 year old brother watched it and he loves it too.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bylightworker23 February 20, 2011

The Perfect Pre-Teen Girl Power Movie

My 13 year-old saw this movie when she was 11 and it was the perfect pre-teen film for her to see. I found it just when I'd given up hope of finding an appropriate movie for her age. I'd been lamenting that there was nothing between little kid movies and inappropriate PG-13 films for her to see. Penelope is the perfect answer to this dilemma! Enjoy!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynickchick15004 December 31, 2010

was kinda boring. very difficult to sit trough. missed half of the story because i fell asleep. on the whole VERRRRRRYYYYYYY BAD AND BORING
Teen, 13 years old Written byskyrebel August 15, 2010

Perfect for Tweens, not so great for Younger Children

I think the movie has a message hidden inside it, saying it doesn't matter what you look like, it's who you are inside
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwilightgirl137 May 30, 2010

Awesome movie, but watch out!

I hated when the men ran away from Penelope, but it was a very good movie! Penelope does drink, but she's 25. The movie says that you should like yourself for who you are, and to never get up.
Kid, 12 years old December 7, 2009

This movie is DEFINITELY NOT FOR 10+! This movie says sh** at least 5 times and it shows alcohol as a good thing and that is is soooo delicious! HORRIBLE ROLE MODELS AND BAD ACTING!!!!