All member reviews for Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

Action-packed sequel still doesn't live up to book series.

Kid, 11 years old August 7, 2013

PJO Rocks!

Nice movie, better than 1st. Deserved 3 stars at least. Monsters might be a bit scary, blah,blah,blah. Just inaccurate quality rating.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKenzi333 August 7, 2013

So much better than the first!

I really don't understand the low rating, I thought this movie was great! Definitely a huge improvement on The Lightning Thief. The film makers must have gotten the hint that nobody likes it when a book adaptation isn't true to the actual book because this time around they included tons of scenes/aspects from the book (ex. Hermes's snakes George and Martha). And with the improvement of the movie came the improvement of the acting. I have to admit I wasn't very impressed with their performance in the first one. But they seemed to step up their game here, and they really are fantastic, especially Logan Lerman and Alexandra Daddario. And the special effects! WAY better! I was terrified that this movie would be just as bad (or worse) as the first one. But trust me, it's not! I thought this movie was completely worthy of the Percy Jackson name. I left the movie feeling satisfied and stoked for The Titan's Curse! So happy this franchise has been saved!
Parent Written bykckacy August 8, 2013

Safe, action packed, family movie!

I loved this movie. It is fun, thrilling and a fantastic family, action packed movie. I love Greek Mythology and the director did a great job. Percy Jackson, Sea of Monsters helps bring Greek Mythology alive and interesting for young people. I loved the soundtrack and especially the song "To Feel Alive" during the credits. I give this 5 stars for a wonderful, family movie.
Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written bypoorhaus August 8, 2013

Entertaining

While I agree that the Percy Jackson movies simply do not compare to the books, the film itself is entertaining. If you go to enjoy an action/adventure, you won't be disappointed. However, if you watch it with Riordan's book fresh in your mind, you might not like what you see. You can expect plenty of battle scenes and hear some lines that really make you chuckle. Younger viewers my be frightened by the bull, oracle, three sisters with one eye, Cyclops, Talia's tree, Luke's "guard dog", zombies, and Kronos. Overall, it is great to have the messages of teamwork, friendship, and brotherly love remind us that good triumphs in the end.
Kid, 10 years old August 12, 2013

Awesome!!!

This movie is so awesome!!! It followed the book better than the last movie and the acting was great!!! I think that it sent lots of positive messages about brotherhood and friendship. The special effects were way better than the last movies' special effects! PG is a good rating for this movie.
Parent Written byhatersgonnahate September 9, 2013

Not like the books

You should read books before watching the movies. Its a little different from the books. It has some cuss words. But over all its a good movie and you should watch it. PS. ENJOY IT!
Adult Written bycourtwork August 25, 2013

A true PG movie you can enjoy with your tweens

It seems that for people who've read the books, the movies are disappointing. I've not read the books, and I find this movie really fun and entertaining. I much prefer it to "Percy Jackson: The Lightening Thief," which is dull and one dimensional, in my opinion. In this movie, Logan Lerman does a great job with the character of Percy Jackson. He seems younger than in the first movie, registering true emotion, conveying integrity, depth, and strength mixed with vulnerability and self doubt. In the first movie, his character is flat, mostly concerned with looking cool and sexy. Annabeth is also softer in this film, but seems about the same age. Grover is no longer a ladies' man, which is refreshing. The plot is way better in this film. There are exciting twists and turns. The special effects are wonderful, and best of all, from a parental point of view, it is truly a PG film. It is the perfect film for 10 year old boys. There is just the right amount of excitement and adventure, with battles, suspense, and cool villains. I appreciate even more what is omitted from the film: over the top violence, sexualized characters, excessive jolts per minute, foul language, and characters who are glorified jerks. It is so refreshing to sit in the theater with my ten year old son and really enjoy a movie together. There has been a dearth of films that are both appealing to and appropriate for this "tween" age. In my opinion, "Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters" hits that sweet spot of exciting enough without being gratuitous, that is perfect for this age and beyond. Two thumbs up.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybooklover9999 August 12, 2013

Nothing like the book!!!!!!!

This movie wasn't like the book at all the ending was all over the place and the special effects were nothing great its not really worth seeing in my opinion. Overall no one should bother to see the film if they cherish the awesomeness of the book.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysexyyyyyy January 21, 2014

sexy

its relly cool so sexy and aweosme and soooooo sooo sexyyyy and sexyyyyy
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymisty_molly August 9, 2013

10-year olds love this. I didn't.

Let me start by saying those taboo words no one wants to hear: we haven't read the book. Ack! That's very out of character for us but I'm stating that first because my review is not based on how well the storyline relates to the book. We saw this 2 days after it opened because my daughter asked to go and although I haven't read any of the books, I was familiar with the premise. It seemed like it could possibly (probably?) have a bit of an educational aspect to it and is rated PG so we went. I was shocked. This is a very fast moving, violent film that I would hope is right at the edge of being rated PG-13. During the intense scenes, I kept an eye on my daughter to see if she was okay with it. She loved it. I couldn't believe how much she loved it. I thought it was fine but this movie wasn't made for me. It was made for kids and tweens. My kiddo was really into the good vs. evil fighting scenes. Fortunately, comedic relief scenes are scattered throughout. There are essentially 3 sub-plots: believe in yourself, don’t be a selfish show-off, and being prejudice hurts people. Of course, good prevails.
Kid, 11 years old January 19, 2014

I Hate This Movie

This is the worst movie of 2013. K? It really sucks. Ya know the girl who plays Annabeth she is like 27 !!!!!! This is really crazy You might say I'm crazy because u guys are crazy fans but i not kidding. They never get anything correct i luv the books but the movies are bad.
Kid, 10 years old October 14, 2013

BAD BAD AND MORE BAD!

So baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. This movie is so messed up! For fans who like a movie that leaves the book's plot far behind, then this is the film for you! If you are like me and want a movie that shows the book a little respect, then don't bother. SPOILER ALERT: Kronos comes back and they defeat him all in about ten minutes. Whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaattttttttt??????? This movie is terrible!
Kid, 12 years old September 20, 2013

Disappointing.

I'll admit it. The graphics were pretty awesome. Kronos looked amazing! However, the movie was in no way true to the book. Percy read the prophecy three movies too early.
Kid, 11 years old August 24, 2013

Predictable, Okay Sequel Doesn't Live Up To The Book

Rebiew by rsm2. Predictable, okay sequel doesn't live up to the book. Key moments in the plot were cut out, which will greatly annoy Percy Jackson faithfuls. Acting is fine,but a little bit cheesy. I liked it, but I know most other people won't.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDestroyer334545 August 10, 2013

BAD

Don't see it
Teen, 14 years old Written byzozotanarg14 August 9, 2013

Chance

I really loved this film I went to see it in the cinema today. It's action-packed yet emotional, which is a good mix for this genre. The cast was amazing, despite the original characters' ages had to be altered - I didn't really mind that. I know that a lot of people think these films are going to be bad, but I've read the books and I think if the film people try to stick to them a little more they'll be great. I also think a lot of people have labelled these films as for kids and light comedy, but they have a deeper meaning - this series, yes, is about demigods and fantasy, but it's also about making choices and finding who you are. I think by the time they make "The Last Olympian" into a film, people will have changed their minds, and in a good way. All I'm saying is, give this series a chance, because it deserves that.
Parent Written bytarmale August 8, 2013

Disappointing sequel

I took my eight year old to see this today. We were so excited for another "Percy Jackson" movie as we loved the first one. We were disappointed in this one however. I never read the books but it just seemed like the movie was all over the place and there wasn't a story to follow. Too many special effects and Pierce Brosnan did not reprise his role of Chiron and I was really looking forward to seeing him.
Kid, 11 years old August 8, 2013

Impresive Change!

The movie was great! I like this one MUCH more. I think they did not change the movie from the book so much like in the other one. The special effects have improved but the important part is that they stayed true to the book. It can be scary . What you have to know is that the effects have improved so the monsters have to. It is a VERY nice movie and leaves you anxious for the next!
Kid, 10 years old February 27, 2015

PJ sea of monsters

I think it is a wonderful action packed family movie. Though it was a little all over the place it was awesome. It is a great movie for kids eight and up.Best movie ever!
Teen, 16 years old Written byfrench.cats February 21, 2015

Better than the first movie, but still bad

The acting is good, but other than that it doesn't have much going for it.