All member reviews for Peter Pan (2003)

Live-action version keeps its thrill and charm.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byJpalisades April 9, 2008

Stunned by This Movie, Totally Enchanting

After watching this movie with my 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter we bought the original James Barrie novel, read it every night for a month and then missed it when we were done. We found the contemporary novel Peter and The Star Catchers by Dave Barry which is a "prequel" to the original and began reading that just so we could continue our love affair with Peter Pan. The movie is thrillingly acted by Jeremy Sumpter and Jason Issacs as Pan and Hook respectively. I have only known Peter Pan through Disney's eyes but after seeing P.J. Hogans version which so closely resembles the book, you understand how Barrie was a genius at understanding human Nature. Pan is the boy that never grows up yes. But did you every understand before that Hook is the rest of us? Waiting for death which ticks away around every corner, perhaps in the guise of a crocodile with a clock in its stomach? Brilliant! Don't deprive yourself or your children, you will love this movie! By the way, there are some very thrilling parts that might be a little intense for the under 9 set. But nothing disturbing or haunting.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

The end of innocence

The traditional story, with a poignant emphasis on childhood's end and the beginnings of adult love and sensuality. Jeremy Sumpter as Peter and Rachel Hurd-Wood as Wendy convey a remarkable blend of innocence and longing. The only version I know that accurately presents the undercurrent of sensual maturation found in the book.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bymres1022 October 18, 2009

My family and I love this movie. The production is gorgeous and really captures the feel of the book. It looks like a Victorian pop-up book come to life. Since it is true to the source material it is a little darker, so you have to know your child. My 6-year old LOVES this movie and has been watching it for a few years. It is one of a handful of films she asks to watch over and over. I don't think it is overly sexualized - Wendy is on the verge of adolescence. Her unsure relationship with Peter represents that struggle between growing up and entering into romantic relationships and remaining a child who likes to play dress up. I thought the film beautifully captured this "transitional" time in a child's life. I can't recommend this film enough.
Parent Written byclipscoupons365 February 25, 2012

Terrible movie

While being babysat, the sitter pulled this up on Netflix and started watching it with our kids before realizing it is totally inappropriate for younger kids. She quickly turned it off and then told me about it. Among other things, there was a very graphic, sexually charged and frightening scene with mermaids that prompted the shut off. I would steer clear and opt for the Disney version.
Adult Written bytheturners December 28, 2010

This is a beautifully made film that I saw for the first time a year ago, and loved so much I purchased a copy. The actors are all well suited for their roles and the sets and special effects are excellent. The story begins at the home of Wendy, Michael and John where her parents and aunt seem to notice that Wendy is growing up. And do they see a hint of a "kiss" at the side of her mouth? This "kiss" is spoken of in the original book "Peter Pan", an excellent book by the way. The "kiss" alluded to is treasured for a special time and a special someone, which plays out later at the end of the movie. I thought all of the actors were excellent, but especially loved Jeremy Sumpter in the Peter Pan role. He's quite charming with a frequent look of mischief, and he and Wendy are just at that age on the brink of growing up, though of course, Peter never will. This version of the story plays up the fact that Peter and Wendy at an age just beginning to find the opposite sex interesting instead of annoying. These feelings are sweetly and innocently played out and there are occasional hints of brimming romance between the two. Wendy longs to grow closer to Peter, but just as he starts to show interest he withdraws since, after all, they are just pretending to be grown up parents to the lost boys and he will never ever really be a man! Some items for parents to be aware of: Wendy's brothers are strung up by the feet in one scene which causes their nightshirts to fall, and they are horrified that their bare bottoms are exposed, but the viewer only gets a glimpse of this. There is a very brief scene where evil mermaids try to entice Wendy into the water. These are dark, evil looking mermaids and may be frightening to small children. Captain Hook succumbs to the crocodile at the end and is quickly swallowed whole. There are several fighting scenes with the pirates and one scene where they tie the brothers upon a rock where water is rising and they are left to drown, but are saved just in time. Overall, I give this movie very high marks for entertainment value. It's an old story that has had some new life brought to it, and is beautifully and artfully done.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygrantlyp108 March 29, 2010

An Awesome movie!

Peter Pan is a great movie for kids who love adventure and action! This movie has it all action, adventure, and even a twist of romance and suspense! But for some little kids this movie will be to violent and there will be to much sexual stuff for them as well, but your young and older tweens will love this movie!
Adult Written bysss December 15, 2008

better for older kids

lots of tension & kissing by pre-teens.
Adult Written bykirireeves April 9, 2008

Fanciful, but a little dark

I think I would have enjoyed this movie if my children had been older. I took a toddler and was sorry I did. This rendition is the closest to the original book I've found, and it is beautifully presented (I was really impressed with the caliber of the performances in the young actors)--but that also means it is darker than the Disneyfied version. The mermaids are scary, Hook is definitely disturbed, the crocodile is frightening, the castle is spooky--it was too much for my little one. I would put this film in the same camp as the Harry Potter films--fun and magical, but eerie and scary in parts--really meant for kids 8-11 who can separate magic from reality and not worry that a crocodile is going to swallow them up at any moment once they leave the theater.
Kid, 11 years old January 6, 2015

Super Cool!

It followed the book a lot better than Disney's animated film. There were a few kisses shared between really young characters, but they were sweet and contributed to the main idea of the movie. Two young boys bare bottoms are shown briefly and are viewed by a young girl. Also a couple intense scenes including sword fighting, guns, and drunk pirates. Awesome though! The characters are clever and sweet and funny! Really good if you have read the book and are pretty mature and can handle bare bums. :D
Teen, 13 years old Written bymel12 July 28, 2014

A good movie

I first watched this film when I was six and it was one of my favourite childhood films because it stuck out a lot. It tries to stay true to the book (though it really should be called 'Peter and Wendy') which I do respect and this film creates a beautiful world that's not all done with SGI, which is nice. I think the characters were portrayed great which is another strong point. I think this is a good film for kids because I remember absolutely loving the action and I found it creative that they made a more dark setting as oppose to kind of a boring, happy, too good to be true land, but with that said, it does have those whimsical moments too (e.g fairy dance) so I guess it's equally balanced. The only thing I can nitpick about is that maybe some people would think that the romance was a little much, but to me, I thought it was fine. I am surprised that this movie didn't earn more money.
Kid, 9 years old April 27, 2014

Peter Pan is good

This movie relates to the book a lot!! And Jason Issacs is a fantastic Captain Hook!!!! This movie has a lot of violence because there is a lot of sword fights, and some gunshots. This movie has scary moments such as when Hook takes off his hook. When we see the crocodile, it looks very real. The pirates smoke cigars, and Wendy kisses Peter.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 4, 2012

Great Remake

Awesome and exciting remake that is pretty dark, and maybe a little scary for little kids
Teen, 14 years old Written byMerlinFan August 28, 2011

Entertaining following of J. M. Barrie's Classic

This movie was cute. I don't think it compares to the cartoon, but it's still a lovely movie with much fantasy and joy. Most importantly, it's clean and entertaining. I love that it really follows the original book by J.M Barrie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydancegirl3697 August 28, 2011

AMAZING!

I loved this movie ever since I was really little. I think I was about 5. Its such a great movie with much imagination. Plus, the boy is kinda cute. Haha. But I have to admit, that I think its better than the cartoon :)
Kid, 12 years old February 12, 2011

My favorite movie. So sweet, I love Peter pan
Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2010

A Different Version

Well, I'll start off saying this movie was one of the BEST movies of the 21st century but there are a few noticeable flaws. For one, I must say that it is highly inappropriate how much 'romance' was going on between Peter and Wendy since they were only twelve. Another is the violence. Hook kills four pirates throughout the movie, his hook does make contact with Peter a few times, Wendy is kidnapped twice, made to walk the plank, is thrown about - as well as Peter - a little bit too much, but at the same time, fights the pirates too. Also, there are dark and mysterious scenes that are NOT - on any level - little kid appropriate. The mermaid scene was frightening and intense. Something that should not have been put in the movie. But, over all that, the movie was unpredictable, funny, heart wrenching, and an endless classic that sinks it's way into the hearts of many. Peter Pan is one movie my family will not forget!
Teen, 15 years old Written byPeterPanlover1904 October 4, 2010

The Best Movie

I am fifteen years old. I watched this movie for the first time when I was thirteen, I have now watched it litterally over 70 times. I have three dvd's of it. This movie is a classic, not to mention the brilliant dialogue and the clever humour and the deeper meaning of everthying. This movie is so clean, which is very rare nowadays; the main character, Peter, is an innocent boy of the age between, eleven and sixteen. (He says he is quite young) Rachel Hurd-Wood plays the brave, bold and adventurous, as well as sweet, sensitive and beautiful, Wendy Darling. She acts very well, especially for her first role. Peter is played by Jeremy Sumpter, who is a very pretty boy! But, just because he has some delicate features do not be fooled, he plays Peter superbly. The American accent might be frustrating for some, but I find it cute. Peter is incredibly brave, putting his life at risk for Wendy's sake, and being a great friend, father and leader to the Lost Boys. He is VERY sweet to Wendy, and she falls for him and wants to "thimble" him quite directly after they meet, (What girl wouldn't)? He says lovely things about girls, and BOWS to her when he first sees her, all of which is HIGHLY unusual for a boy at that age; however as we can see, Peter is SOME boy! He is marvelous with a sword (Jeremy Sumpter did 95% of his stunts) and very impressive at micking things (Hook's voice, and the cry of a wolf) I fell for this boy after watching it the second time. Tinker Bell is played by Ludivine Sagnier, she is a sparkling, stunning, and very jealous fairy. Who tries to kill Wendy, and when she nearly succeeds, Peter banishes her. (You are my friend no more!) Later on, Hook tricks her; pretending to be sympathetic. "Pan has taken in Wendy and banished you? The dog!" And she gives in to Hook and betrays Peter by going to "talk" with him. Towards the end, Tink shows unconditional love for Peter, by drinking poison in his stead. It is said that Peter does not have feelings by Hook, which makes Wendy cry then later, have second thoughts about staying in Neverland. But Peter shows that he cares in all he has done, taking Wendy to his home, dancing with her, and weeping when his beloved fairy dies. Both Captain James Hook and George Darling are played by Jason Isaacs who is absolutely, without question or doubt, terrific! He is calm, and timid, as Mr. Darling, and feirce and unforgiving as Captain Hook. He is amazing with a sword, and he fights with his LEFT hand! Captain Hook is rutheless, and ever since Peter cut of his hand in battle, he has never forgiven him, and he is determined to stay on the shores of Neverland until he finishes the boy! Peter vows that, "It's Hook or me this time" but in the end, he doesn't kill Hook himslef, he merely defeats him to a point where Hook falls into the open jaws of the crocodile, who has long waited for the yummy captain. People say that Peter hates adults, but no, the reason he fights Hook is because he is evil and he lives in adventure where good triumph over evil; this is why he enjoys Wendy's stories so much. The movie has a very bittersweet ending, that I used to HATE, for the two lovers part. The "thimble" they share is beautiful in it's pureness, it isn't all messy like they are mostly in movies it was sweet and straight forward with such sweet whispering words from Wendy, "This belongs to you, and always will." And it lasts for about ten wonderful seconds where everyone looks at it and is shocked. He then EXPLODES with joy and bursts into the air, a wonderful touch. :) Anyways, there can be so much more said about this film, and story, but I have already written so much. It is made up of wonderful characters including the charming Peter, who may seem sensitive, but is very brave, and very firm. He never gives in to growing up. For all children grow up, except one.
Kid, 12 years old September 15, 2010

luv it!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2010

Some scary stuff but still good for kids

I saw this movie when I was younger and I got a little bit scared by the mermaids.I really didn't expect them, to look so evil and dark.
Teen, 13 years old Written byA.M. June 21, 2010

EXCELLENT!!!

I think the romance between Peter and Wendy is what made the film. The story and plot was more true to the book than the pathetic Disney one. The special effects were okay-ish but still acceptable. The action and peril was slightly intense, but it keeps you entertained. The movie is $5.00 at Target. Buy it, don't rent it. One thing I've noticed in both the live action and Disney version: Didn't Peter run away from home in England, but when he returned the window is shut? In both movies, the actor/voice actor is American. Shouldn't it be more authentic by being British accented? Just an observation. Jeremy Sumpter was amazing as Peter.