All member reviews for Peter Pan

Stereotypes mar otherwise jaunty Disney adventure classic.

Adult Written byKelE April 9, 2008

inappropriate on so many levels

Yes, I watched it as a child. No, I will not let my kids watch it. I do not care for the way the father treats the children, the way TinkerBell treats Wendy, the way the girls all swoon for Peter but he ignores them. My 3 year old daughter saw this movie at a friend's house, without my knowledge, and had so many questions: how could Captain Hook want to KILL a child? are there other adults who want to hurt chlidren? why aren't there adults to protect the children? why is Tinkerbell so mean? why doesn't the father love his children? why did the parents leave the children alone when they went out? could someone come into our house through the windows while we are sleeping? While some children may not be affected by these scenes, highly intelligent or sensitive children may be. And while these topics are worth discussing and exploring, preschoolers do not need to be exposed to them before they are mature enough to have a meaningful discussion. Too many parents let their children watch a movie simply because it comes from Disney.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTiffy6666 May 1, 2011

Suitable for all ages

Most adorable Movie ever!! I've been watching it with my now 5 year old sister since she was 2 and still love it! :) Some of the adult reviewers are way to strict it's a family friendly movie! I'm fifteen and never even noticed all the bad things you've mentioned, young children are exposed to way worse in real life. It's a Disney movie and I suppose there are always going to be parts where people think 'Well that really shouldn't be there.' You ned to loosen up, the whole point of the movie is exploring the magic that is childhood. Not one to miss guys!
Adult Written bywhovian85 April 9, 2008

I haven't seen this movie in years, but I just feel that I have to defend the movie. First off Hook wants to kill Peter because Peter cut off his hand and feed it to the crocodile. Second, I'm sure that the parents didn't leave that kids alone as there probably were at least a couple of servants in the house(at that time even middle class families had servants). Finally, I find the fact that all the girls swoon over Peter harmless, and the fact that he's oblivious to it all shows his boyish innocence.
Adult Written byamykate77 April 9, 2008

We didn't even finish it.

We have a four year old whose grandparents' take great pride in purchasing Disney movies for. Our son was so excited to get Peter Pan, but as usual, we told him we would need to screen the film prior to him watching it. We watched the first 1/2 hour, and decided that it's definitely too old for a young child. There's a part where the Dad just blows up at the children-- which isn't really all that offensive, but we were sure our four year old wouldn't understand. The clencher was the part where one of the pirates pulls a gun and puts it up to another's face, threatens to slit his throat, etc. That's just not something I want my kid emulating at this age!
Teen, 14 years old Written byghammond November 1, 2011

one of the best child films

its a fantastic film, three year old boy can't stop watching it, and 6 year old girl is just as engrossed. all saying it is to sexual or too violent read too much into the film, a small child is not going to be that intellectual to disect the film.
Adult Written by21stcenturycritic December 15, 2009

Not for this day and age - without serious 21st century consideration

Except for the underlying theme- that parents should be more understanding of their children as they were once children themselves. This movie may have worked well into society back when it was first released in 1953- where gender role views were clearly defined and boys were one way and girls were another. However this movie- even with being regarded as a Disney Classic- cannot be considered, now, something that the whole family can enjoy without some controversial questions and raised eye-brows. Before I go into the racism and sexism of the movie, let's first take a look at how Mr. Darling treats his daughter Wendy's sense of creativity. He calls them "idiotic ideas"- now any child self aware enough may internalize this and may whether consciously or subconciously bring it out in conversation with a parent making for quite an interesting and uncomfortable talk. Now speaking of uncomfortable- there is the subject of the the Indians in the movie. They are described as "quite savage", "cunning but not intelligent" and "Red" men. Not only that but the lost boys actually go to HUNT them. If that is not blatant racism then I'm not sure what is. Now as far as the sexism goes, other than the one line 'girls talk too much' the sexism is not necessarily spoken in the movie but rather spread out throughout the movie in how they treat Wendy and the other females of the movie. First- Wendy is given the role of mother and care taker- a role "traditionally" given only to females where we now know that is not all women can do and something that men can partake in as well- while the lost boys and Wendy's two brothers go off to hunt (the indians). Now- in the movie it seems that girls can only be of two things- one as already mentioned caretakers and swooning over Peter and the other is vindictive and jealous. The mermaids for one actually try and drown Wendy (they admit to it too) and Captain Hook uses TinkerBell's jealousy over Wendy and Peter to his advantage. If that is not enough then the violence should concern all parents. Peter Pan ( a boy) cuts off captain Hook's hand and feeds it to a croc. There are sword fights. Children being violent toward adults and vice versa- especially that above all. There is violence- not just peter against captain hook but violence toward other people, the indians. There is "domestic" violence per say; Tinkerbell against Wendy. Overall this movie is outdated and as my suggestion and opinion should only be shown to our children if one plans to explain why it's ok to name call people of others ethnicities, why it's ok to be violent toward adults and vice versa, and why it's ok to be sexist.
Parent Written byDavidByrne May 19, 2013

Blatantly Racist Parts

"Remember, the Indian is clever, but isn't as smart." Yeah, there are some pretty racist parts.
Adult Written byOregonDad January 10, 2010

Way too violent the whole way through

As soon as they kids get to Neverland, Captain Hook murders one of his crew (a pistol shot to the crow's nest and the pirate falls to the water) and it never lets up. Sword and knife fights, throwing people overboard, an attempt to blow up Peter Pan with a bomb, the lost boys bash each other with clubs and rock hammers, talk of "slitting throats" and "prepare to DIE", the Indians tie up the kids and set them on piles of wood to later burn them alive... it goes on and on. That's not even mentioning all the terrible Indian racial stereotypes and sexual attitudes and drinking. It's really quite unbelievable this is aimed at young children.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byKarrie73 December 31, 2009

Far too sexual. The female characters, with the exception of Wendy, are terrible role models for girls. They are mean, spiteful, rude, angry, jealous and sexual. The mermaids fawn over Peter Pan like he were Huge Hefner. There is also a scene that shows Peter Pan and Micheal taking part in smoking from a pipe with the "Engines". Its very racists towards native Americans. All in all, its too violent and sexual for an animated child's film.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byrockhottie101@y... June 21, 2013

Not for Little Kids

I used to have this movie on VHS when I was little, and I just watched it again with my little kids at work. I wanted so bad to turn off the movie altogether, but did not want to offend the other teacher that chose it. I used to really like it when I was little, but I know I just find the whole film not for kids that young, regardless of it's G rating. First off, Tinkerbell's dress is way too short. Another thing is all the insulting and racist language. Another is the racist "Red Man" and the Indians. Not to forget the mermaids, two or three don't have shells covering their breasts, they just have their long hair covering them and blowing around. Plus they are pretty much sirens, acting all sexual like trying to get Peter. The way Wendy, John, and Micheal's father treats them and their dog Nana, is really cruel and scary, while their mother is much too sweet and doesn't do anything to help the kids, or Nana. This movie is very well done, but not for little kids.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2011

Overprotective much.......!?!?

Well I haven't seen this movie in a little while but as soon as I saw some of these comments I just HAD to comment myself! Now some of you parents are REALLY starting to make me mad! Some of you really gotta cool off! "Oooh a girl is jealous of peter" "oooh Captain Hook is being mean" I mean little kids are exposed to MUCH worse these days! Young girls go gaga over guys even at my age! Now I admit, this movie is pretty racist and sexist and parts too but it would fly over most kids heads! My parents let me watch this and let me tell you that they're great parents and they definitely don't let me run freely and watch whatever I wanna watch but they're not overprotective freaks either!!!! Trust me I watched this movie over and over when I was little and I grew up just fine! So all you parents who are way overprotective go on and loosen up a little and yes do discuss with your child how Peter Pan was being racist and how some things Captain Hook and whoever else did were not right but don't let your kids not watch this... it's part of growing up! And thumbs up to all parents and kids who agree with me!
Teen, 14 years old Written byDarkMidnight November 30, 2010

Strict much?

Oh no! Not a gun! I'm just going to throw away the whole movie! ... seriously. Guys don't you ever get a nosebleed from taking the high road all the time? I've seen this movie sinse I can remember, and it didn't bother me AT ALL. If your kids are bothered by this (though kids are differen't) maybe you're babying them too much. The only thing that bothered me in this movie was when Captain Hook shot one of his crew. Everything else I looked over because I try to see the light in things. The croc chasing Hook thing is suppose to be funny, and to most children it is (and he never get's really hurt either) Yes the sword fights and threats are a tad... interesting, but not anything to turn off the movie about. Tink can get pretty jealous in this movie when Wendy is around, but she learns to like her. Their father can be ...yelly, but more of an obnoxious way instead of what some of you guys say 'abusive' way- good grief. Even though he bashes her ideals, it shows him proven wrong. I understand it is a little bit racist to the Native Americans, but remember this was made a long time ago, besides, they are shown to be respectful and wise as well, Tiger Lily was brave and proud. The pipe thing (in some indian cultures) WAS a traditional way, and it showed how sick it could make you. Peter has been rather sexist towrd girls, saying they talk too much and whatnot, although Wendy finds that obserd and she tries to direct them along the right path. The girls that go 'gaga' over Peter were rather mean to Wendy, though it is a good way to point out how NOT to act, and Wendy said how rude that was. Yes, some things are a little 'old traditioned' but come on, just give the kids a moral lesson after they watch the movie, I never picked up anything bad from it and your children probably won't either. Just chill out, drink some green tea and put in the movie.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byerich April 9, 2008

My kid loves this one, but I hate it.

I know I'll sound like a fanatic saying this, but I cannot handle the sexual dynamics of this old favorite. All the girls love Peter (Wendy, Tinkerbell, Tiger Lilly, and the mermaids); and they are so jealous of Peter's attention to Wendy that the mermaids are very mean to her and Tinkerbell tries to KILL her. Peter is oblivious to all this and wants Wendy to be his mother. The Darling family also has a roaring father who is oblivious to his children's issues. Lastly, one doesn't need to mention the un-PC treatment of American Indians in the film, e.g., What makes the Red Man red? When did he first say "Ugh"? That said, we have a copy of the film; my 4 year old son loves it; and he went as Peter last Halloween.
Teen, 17 years old Written bysmilesandhugs456 March 16, 2012

A true Classic

All you overprotective parents saying its to violent and sexual must have grown up extremely sheltered. I watched this as a child and loved every minute of it.
Parent Written bysunshinedays January 22, 2012

good fun

I am watching it right now with my 3 and 6 year old. The magic of flying and playing without a parent telling you to clean up is a fun fantasy for a short time. As far as Captain Hook and Peter being mean to each other, my kids have learned enough by now to know that is not behavior to replicate. We talk about Captain Hook and the pirates just needs a mother to teach them to be kind.
Parent Written bycuriosamama November 27, 2011

Sparks imagination, despite stereotyping

I can understand the issues other reviewers had with stereotyping, it really does stand out that this is an OLD movie. However, our little one gains a lot from the imagination part of the Peter Pan both book and the movie and we love them for that reason. The stereotypes will be over your 4-year-old's head and with older kids you can already discuss some ideas in the movie being old-fashioned. For 3-4 year olds, Hook may be quite scary, we have turned him around into someone we feel sorry for. Bottom line, we've been using this movie as a back-drop of many imagination games and theater shows and will discuss deeper issues about this filmic version of the story when the time comes. For phantasy-loving 4-year-olds, otherwise better for 5/6-year-olds.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGiven2412 January 24, 2011

pure magic......

excellent movie in my opinion. animation is beautiful, charecters are original, and the movie itself takes you off into a totally different world! people say its to violent, but i say its just being true to the book. not to mention that no one ever gets hurt, (except for one crew member that was shot, which i always thought was a little harsh, even if it never actually shows him getting hurt) either way the action just gives the movie that extra bit adventure. Hook is a villian, but like most male disney villians, he is much more goofy and bumbling than truely evil. i dont think that anyone but hook is a bad role model in this film. Peter Pan isnt being rude or sexist when he says that 'girls talk to much', hes just being a boy!! Wendy, John, and Michael are just fine role models in the way that they all dream of adventure, and want to find the magic in life that is quickly slipping away from them because they are all growing up. the mermaids all seem to like peter, but he seems pretty oblivious to this, making it more of a crush on the mermaids part. Tinkerbell is NOT a bad role model! if anything shes a good role model. she is independent, sassy, smart, and able to fend for herself... (something that some girls do lack in this movie) really, tinkerbell is the first EMPOWERD girl that disney ever created. though she gets jealous and upset at times, i think thats just what makes her charecter so lovable... i have to admit, the Indian thing is a bit racist, but its not in a mean way. in fact, Tiger Lily (the indian princess) is a very strong charecter in this movie, (and i think she is a wonderful role model for kids.) Over all i think this is a wonderful, magical film. Its a classic and should be thrown a way for a few racist comments in the film. i think you should see the film, youll always carry it in your heart!
Teen, 16 years old Written bywho3697cares December 13, 2009

Nearly everyone is offensively stereotyped, Peter Pan is a very bad role model, and sometimes the animation and story are pretty crude. Kids will not miss much if they miss out on it.
Kid, 10 years old November 30, 2009

Great Movie!

I can't believe some of these reviews! I've seen this movie at least 10 times by my self. I used to watch it when i was 4 and had no problem!
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byrachelernst.com September 13, 2009

With 5 year old we'll try reading the book. Don't care for the movie

My 3 year old was turned off pretty quickly. My five year old boy was interested but getting a little vibe he didn't like (like moving trees and more he couldn't verbalize) to the point that he didn't care to watch it much more than 15 minutes and was eager to try a different show.