All member reviews for Peter Pan

Stereotypes mar otherwise jaunty Disney adventure classic.

Adult Written byKelE April 9, 2008

inappropriate on so many levels

Yes, I watched it as a child. No, I will not let my kids watch it. I do not care for the way the father treats the children, the way TinkerBell treats Wendy, the way the girls all swoon for Peter but he ignores them. My 3 year old daughter saw this movie at a friend's house, without my knowledge, and had so many questions: how could Captain Hook want to KILL a child? are there other adults who want to hurt chlidren? why aren't there adults to protect the children? why is Tinkerbell so mean? why doesn't the father love his children? why did the parents leave the children alone when they went out? could someone come into our house through the windows while we are sleeping? While some children may not be affected by these scenes, highly intelligent or sensitive children may be. And while these topics are worth discussing and exploring, preschoolers do not need to be exposed to them before they are mature enough to have a meaningful discussion. Too many parents let their children watch a movie simply because it comes from Disney.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTiffy6666 May 1, 2011

Suitable for all ages

Most adorable Movie ever!! I've been watching it with my now 5 year old sister since she was 2 and still love it! :) Some of the adult reviewers are way to strict it's a family friendly movie! I'm fifteen and never even noticed all the bad things you've mentioned, young children are exposed to way worse in real life. It's a Disney movie and I suppose there are always going to be parts where people think 'Well that really shouldn't be there.' You ned to loosen up, the whole point of the movie is exploring the magic that is childhood. Not one to miss guys!
Adult Written bywhovian85 April 9, 2008
I haven't seen this movie in years, but I just feel that I have to defend the movie. First off Hook wants to kill Peter because Peter cut off his hand and feed it to the crocodile. Second, I'm sure that the parents didn't leave that kids alone as there probably were at least a couple of servants in the house(at that time even middle class families had servants). Finally, I find the fact that all the girls swoon over Peter harmless, and the fact that he's oblivious to it all shows his boyish innocence.
Adult Written byamykate77 April 9, 2008

We didn't even finish it.

We have a four year old whose grandparents' take great pride in purchasing Disney movies for. Our son was so excited to get Peter Pan, but as usual, we told him we would need to screen the film prior to him watching it. We watched the first 1/2 hour, and decided that it's definitely too old for a young child. There's a part where the Dad just blows up at the children-- which isn't really all that offensive, but we were sure our four year old wouldn't understand. The clencher was the part where one of the pirates pulls a gun and puts it up to another's face, threatens to slit his throat, etc. That's just not something I want my kid emulating at this age!
Adult Written by21stcenturycritic December 15, 2009

Not for this day and age - without serious 21st century consideration

Except for the underlying theme- that parents should be more understanding of their children as they were once children themselves. This movie may have worked well into society back when it was first released in 1953- where gender role views were clearly defined and boys were one way and girls were another. However this movie- even with being regarded as a Disney Classic- cannot be considered, now, something that the whole family can enjoy without some controversial questions and raised eye-brows. Before I go into the racism and sexism of the movie, let's first take a look at how Mr. Darling treats his daughter Wendy's sense of creativity. He calls them "idiotic ideas"- now any child self aware enough may internalize this and may whether consciously or subconciously bring it out in conversation with a parent making for quite an interesting and uncomfortable talk. Now speaking of uncomfortable- there is the subject of the the Indians in the movie. They are described as "quite savage", "cunning but not intelligent" and "Red" men. Not only that but the lost boys actually go to HUNT them. If that is not blatant racism then I'm not sure what is. Now as far as the sexism goes, other than the one line 'girls talk too much' the sexism is not necessarily spoken in the movie but rather spread out throughout the movie in how they treat Wendy and the other females of the movie. First- Wendy is given the role of mother and care taker- a role "traditionally" given only to females where we now know that is not all women can do and something that men can partake in as well- while the lost boys and Wendy's two brothers go off to hunt (the indians). Now- in the movie it seems that girls can only be of two things- one as already mentioned caretakers and swooning over Peter and the other is vindictive and jealous. The mermaids for one actually try and drown Wendy (they admit to it too) and Captain Hook uses TinkerBell's jealousy over Wendy and Peter to his advantage. If that is not enough then the violence should concern all parents. Peter Pan ( a boy) cuts off captain Hook's hand and feeds it to a croc. There are sword fights. Children being violent toward adults and vice versa- especially that above all. There is violence- not just peter against captain hook but violence toward other people, the indians. There is "domestic" violence per say; Tinkerbell against Wendy. Overall this movie is outdated and as my suggestion and opinion should only be shown to our children if one plans to explain why it's ok to name call people of others ethnicities, why it's ok to be violent toward adults and vice versa, and why it's ok to be sexist.
Parent Written bysunshinedays January 22, 2012

good fun

I am watching it right now with my 3 and 6 year old. The magic of flying and playing without a parent telling you to clean up is a fun fantasy for a short time. As far as Captain Hook and Peter being mean to each other, my kids have learned enough by now to know that is not behavior to replicate. We talk about Captain Hook and the pirates just needs a mother to teach them to be kind.
Teen, 14 years old Written byghammond November 1, 2011

one of the best child films

its a fantastic film, three year old boy can't stop watching it, and 6 year old girl is just as engrossed. all saying it is to sexual or too violent read too much into the film, a small child is not going to be that intellectual to disect the film.
Educator and Parent Written bydontgoafftheheid July 11, 2014

You're all crazy!!!!

This film's a classic! Many have admitted watching it as a child...did it do you any harm? Could you attribute your crazy uni days to the fact a mermaid in Peter Pan had shells for a bikini? I think not! If your child picks up on all the ridiculously overanalysed nonsense you've mentioned then they probably should be writing a thesis on the symbolism in Ibsen's 'A Doll's House' not watching Disney Films. Why don't you wrap them in cotton wool, stick them in a cupboard and release them when they're 21? Oh yeah because then they wouldn't have experienced the world around them, they'd look at people from other cultures and ridicule their differences, they'd indulge in underage sex and drinking because they'd never experienced they chance to discuss it. Get over yourselves!
Adult Written byOregonDad January 10, 2010

Way too violent the whole way through

As soon as they kids get to Neverland, Captain Hook murders one of his crew (a pistol shot to the crow's nest and the pirate falls to the water) and it never lets up. Sword and knife fights, throwing people overboard, an attempt to blow up Peter Pan with a bomb, the lost boys bash each other with clubs and rock hammers, talk of "slitting throats" and "prepare to DIE", the Indians tie up the kids and set them on piles of wood to later burn them alive... it goes on and on. That's not even mentioning all the terrible Indian racial stereotypes and sexual attitudes and drinking. It's really quite unbelievable this is aimed at young children.
Educator and Parent Written byMiss Courtney July 14, 2013

Good As A Supplement to the Book

I think the movie is good as long as you consider it as a supplement to the book. J.M. Barrie’s work is a wonderfully complex and poetic work of art whose main theme is to learn to let go of childish ways. The author makes it clear that children are innocent yet also ignorant and inherently selfish but he reminds us in a kind and lyrical way. It’s clear he has a great reverence for children and their complexities. Peter is the embodiment of this and as such is an incredibly alluring character, especially for kids. He’s a bold and brave leader but only in a world where there is no real danger and death is make-believe. Since Neverland is Peter’s creation it is populated by the fantasies of boys—wild beasts, Indians, mermaids and pirates. Peter sees these things in a stereo-typical way, as a means to his childish ends. He has no context for or experience of them—it’s up to the adults to set him straight, to school him about the real world and in their absence he remains incorrigible and insufferable and as a result the beasts and Indians, mermaids and pirates are too. Eventually his friends become sick of this world. They out grow him, as Wendy and her brothers do. It’s a lovely parable about the death of innocence and the birth of knowledge. Unfortunately the movie paints itself in broad strokes, never touching on subtle themes. That’s why reading the book first is a good idea. In the book Wendy and girls are seen as the clever counterparts to boys (Neverland being populated only by Lost Boys because the girls were too smart to fall out of their prams). Wendy is a touchstone, never subjecated by Peter. She takes his insults and the injuries of others with a dignified grace and fortitude and always keeps a level-head. She’s a great role model for both girls and boys and her character is steadfast and honorable in the movie as well. It may take a bit of work to uncover the gems but is well worth the effort in the end.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDarkMidnight November 30, 2010

Strict much?

Oh no! Not a gun! I'm just going to throw away the whole movie! ... seriously. Guys don't you ever get a nosebleed from taking the high road all the time? I've seen this movie sinse I can remember, and it didn't bother me AT ALL. If your kids are bothered by this (though kids are differen't) maybe you're babying them too much. The only thing that bothered me in this movie was when Captain Hook shot one of his crew. Everything else I looked over because I try to see the light in things. The croc chasing Hook thing is suppose to be funny, and to most children it is (and he never get's really hurt either) Yes the sword fights and threats are a tad... interesting, but not anything to turn off the movie about. Tink can get pretty jealous in this movie when Wendy is around, but she learns to like her. Their father can be ...yelly, but more of an obnoxious way instead of what some of you guys say 'abusive' way- good grief. Even though he bashes her ideals, it shows him proven wrong. I understand it is a little bit racist to the Native Americans, but remember this was made a long time ago, besides, they are shown to be respectful and wise as well, Tiger Lily was brave and proud. The pipe thing (in some indian cultures) WAS a traditional way, and it showed how sick it could make you. Peter has been rather sexist towrd girls, saying they talk too much and whatnot, although Wendy finds that obserd and she tries to direct them along the right path. The girls that go 'gaga' over Peter were rather mean to Wendy, though it is a good way to point out how NOT to act, and Wendy said how rude that was. Yes, some things are a little 'old traditioned' but come on, just give the kids a moral lesson after they watch the movie, I never picked up anything bad from it and your children probably won't either. Just chill out, drink some green tea and put in the movie.
Adult Written byCath12435 June 1, 2014
Tinkerbell's dress is too short. When she gets trapped in Wendy's drawer we get a full view of her panties (they aren't the skimpy type of underwear though). The mermaids in the show wear only a seashell over each breast without connecting lines so it doesn't even look like a bikini. One of the mermaids has hair covering her breasts but it's also obvious she isn't wearing a bra/bikini top. Peter Pan blushes when the Indian chief's daugher kisses him. The pirates throw knives at one of their fellow members for no reason and Caption Hook shoots one of his men for singing bad.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byrockhottie101@y... June 21, 2013

Not for Little Kids

I used to have this movie on VHS when I was little, and I just watched it again with my little kids at work. I wanted so bad to turn off the movie altogether, but did not want to offend the other teacher that chose it. I used to really like it when I was little, but I know I just find the whole film not for kids that young, regardless of it's G rating. First off, Tinkerbell's dress is way too short. Another thing is all the insulting and racist language. Another is the racist "Red Man" and the Indians. Not to forget the mermaids, two or three don't have shells covering their breasts, they just have their long hair covering them and blowing around. Plus they are pretty much sirens, acting all sexual like trying to get Peter. The way Wendy, John, and Micheal's father treats them and their dog Nana, is really cruel and scary, while their mother is much too sweet and doesn't do anything to help the kids, or Nana. This movie is very well done, but not for little kids.
Parent Written byDavidByrne May 19, 2013

Blatantly Racist Parts

"Remember, the Indian is clever, but isn't as smart." Yeah, there are some pretty racist parts.
Parent Written bycuriosamama November 27, 2011

Sparks imagination, despite stereotyping

I can understand the issues other reviewers had with stereotyping, it really does stand out that this is an OLD movie. However, our little one gains a lot from the imagination part of the Peter Pan both book and the movie and we love them for that reason. The stereotypes will be over your 4-year-old's head and with older kids you can already discuss some ideas in the movie being old-fashioned. For 3-4 year olds, Hook may be quite scary, we have turned him around into someone we feel sorry for. Bottom line, we've been using this movie as a back-drop of many imagination games and theater shows and will discuss deeper issues about this filmic version of the story when the time comes. For phantasy-loving 4-year-olds, otherwise better for 5/6-year-olds.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2011

Overprotective much.......!?!?

Well I haven't seen this movie in a little while but as soon as I saw some of these comments I just HAD to comment myself! Now some of you parents are REALLY starting to make me mad! Some of you really gotta cool off! "Oooh a girl is jealous of peter" "oooh Captain Hook is being mean" I mean little kids are exposed to MUCH worse these days! Young girls go gaga over guys even at my age! Now I admit, this movie is pretty racist and sexist and parts too but it would fly over most kids heads! My parents let me watch this and let me tell you that they're great parents and they definitely don't let me run freely and watch whatever I wanna watch but they're not overprotective freaks either!!!! Trust me I watched this movie over and over when I was little and I grew up just fine! So all you parents who are way overprotective go on and loosen up a little and yes do discuss with your child how Peter Pan was being racist and how some things Captain Hook and whoever else did were not right but don't let your kids not watch this... it's part of growing up! And thumbs up to all parents and kids who agree with me!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byKarrie73 December 31, 2009
Far too sexual. The female characters, with the exception of Wendy, are terrible role models for girls. They are mean, spiteful, rude, angry, jealous and sexual. The mermaids fawn over Peter Pan like he were Huge Hefner. There is also a scene that shows Peter Pan and Micheal taking part in smoking from a pipe with the "Engines". Its very racists towards native Americans. All in all, its too violent and sexual for an animated child's film.
Teen, 17 years old Written bysmilesandhugs456 March 16, 2012

A true Classic

All you overprotective parents saying its to violent and sexual must have grown up extremely sheltered. I watched this as a child and loved every minute of it.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byrachelernst.com September 13, 2009

With 5 year old we'll try reading the book. Don't care for the movie

My 3 year old was turned off pretty quickly. My five year old boy was interested but getting a little vibe he didn't like (like moving trees and more he couldn't verbalize) to the point that he didn't care to watch it much more than 15 minutes and was eager to try a different show.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bypogostick August 12, 2009

Good fantasy for dreamers

Yes, there's "What Makes the Red Man Red" which is totally uncomfortable. However, our 4 year old boy loves this film and there is much to love in it, including using imagination to fly, and the challenges of growing older and being responsible. Plus there's escapism when kids can outsmart their adult counterparts. What little boy wouldn't want to be a Lost Boy for a day? But it's still grounded when they long for their mothers at home. Couple notes: There's Tick-Tock the crocodile that might be a bit scary, but ultimately is used for laughs. Also, Captain Hook/Mr. Darling are voiced by the same actor and share many characteristics. For a more mature viewer, there's definitely some deconstructing to be done on that point. At least the film doesn't draw on the potential death of Tinkerbell which is a major factor of the original stage production, which was broadcast for TV back in the day. I was prepping myself for the "Clap if you believe in fairies" part, which could've caused some concerns in our youngster, and it never occurs. Woo-hoo!