All member reviews for Pinocchio

Disney masterpiece is darker than you may remember.

Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byZM_Mommy September 21, 2009

Should have a PG-13 rating!

Where to start? Dancing girls that are scantily clad, caged up lead character, reliance on someone else to be your conscience, the clocks in the store are suggestive, excessive use of the word "jackass", not to mention drinking and smoking, spitting, and misbehaving. I'm sorry we bought it... I was hoping old school Disney would be sweet and nice for my 4 year old. Not so much!
Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE June 12, 2010

I have to say, this is not one of Disney's best movies.

I understand this movie's considered to be a Disney classic, but I didn't like it as a child and I still don't see what's so great about it now. I found the songs to be unmemorable (and with Disney, the music can really make or break the movie), and it was not only boring but a bit dark, too. If you want to see a great movie about Pinocchio, I would reccomend the stopmotion special Pinocchio's Christmas (it's not Disney, it's Rankin-Bass).
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2010

The greatest film of all time

This is the most influencial film in the disney canon. It has lots of tough situations to conquer. It is like knowing from right to wrong. This is a very great film. I highly recommeded it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byErin.rae July 19, 2011

i love pinocchio, but there should be a pinocchio played by a girl to see if a girl can establish playing a wooden puppet

why put smoking and drinking in a childrens movie???? its pathetic
Adult Written byjbarling December 17, 2010

Wow, I wish I had watched this again before letting my kids see it. Or I wish I had at least checked here and read the parent reviews first! Won't make that mistake again... Use of the word "jackass," scary and mature themes like slavery, smoking, drinking - way too much for little kids. Avoid it - I'm thinking older movies may need to be reviewed periodically to see if their rating still holds. I can't imagine this would be G-rated if it was a new movie that was just being released.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMariodude23 May 14, 2010

Like most early Disney flicks; it's not for the younger crowd.

While it is nice for kids to have the message of obey your parents, and to have a hero as helpless and easily manipulated as them, it is not for them. Disney movies of this era (the 'Golden Age') were not made as kid's movies or even family films they were movies! And they were d**n good ones at that! People below me said that the use of the word jackass is inappropriate. People; please understand that, the word jackass is another word for a donkey (as is just plain "ass'). They say that underage smoking and drinking is encouraged; it is frowned upon. In fact; it's what turns Pinocchio and all of the other boys into asses! Roger Ebert himself stated "that is the reason why I have never smoked a cigar!" But I agree that it is too mature and dark for little children, but if you're older you will enjoy it, and be delightfully scared by it!
Adult Written byLowe's man December 12, 2013

a masterpiece

This is the best animated Disney movie ever! While some scenes may be too intense for very young children, I would highly recommend the movie for any child 5 and up. I would even recommend it for younger children if they can handle the scary scenes. When Pinocchio tries to smoke a cigar, he hallucinates, which shows kids the dangers of smoking. The Fox and The Cat, along with Stromboli (the owner of the puppet theater), illustrate that some people are not to be trusted. After having fallen victim to their schemes, Pinocchio learns that he should've listened to his father and gone to school. He also shows kids how much worse things get if you tell a lie. But the most poignant moment comes when he decides to risk his own life to save his father Gepetto. Just to make sure Pinocchio is safe, Jiminy Cricket goes with him, demonstrating the importance of looking out for others. This movie has a lot of positive messages.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 October 3, 2009

really should be rated...

this is the most inapropreate G movie i have ever scene!!!!!! and for these ressons: there is underage drinking and smoking, some vilonce and peril, and language like "jackass". I think they should have rated it PG-13. Or atleast a PG because having it G rated with all that stuff in it is wrong!
Teen, 15 years old Written bydisneylove April 28, 2015

Teaches powerful lessons, darker film.

Looking back at this movie from your childhood may bring up more than just nostalgia. The themes in Pinocchio are somewhat terrifying for smaller children. But they are very effective. It teaches kids that there are consequences for your actions, either good or bad. It also teaches not to get involved with strangers and bad associates. The most important lesson in this film is to listen to your conscience and do what you know is right. Visuals are nice, the song "When You Wish Upon a Star" is lovely. There is some period language, drinking, and smoking, however, in the scene where the naughty boys transform into donkeys. This is addressed appropriately and the children are punished for their bad choices. Overall, this movie has its happy family moments, but it also has its darkness as well. 3.4/5
Adult Written byJEDI micah February 18, 2013

Disney, you are a genius!

I really loved this movie when I was a kid! This is one of the animated movies that really made Walt Disney a mastermind of animation! Now that I'm older, I really miss this movie. Maybe it's on YouTube!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byangies January 28, 2011

Ok for teenage and up

When I watched this again for the first time in so many years, I was very creeped out. Sure I get the idea behind the bad little boys turning into donkeys (that's the nice word for it), but the older man capturing the little boys creeped me out due to our current culture where kids can vanish never to seen again.
Adult Written byMarieK March 21, 2009

Young children don't always have the attention span to get the whole message. All they see is Pinocchio smoking and drinking and are off doing something else when he suffers the consequences... It's not appropriate for any child under 5 in my oppinion and frankly was better off staying in the vault.
Parent of an infant year old Written bystrawberryummies February 16, 2013

Classic staple of childhood shouldn't be dismissed for mild language and drug use

This movie is probably one of the best "scarier" movies you can introduce your kids to at a younger age. So many kids movies are sanitized now with their content. The stories are recycled, and the happily-ever-afters are simple and idealized. Pinocchio provides kids with a safe story of a little boy that has hopes and fears (just like any other kid), that works through them using the tools his father and friends give him, and learning from experience (just like any normal kid would do). Concerning the drug use, it's OBVIOUSLY displayed in a negative (and pretty accurate) fashion. It isn't meant to scare kids away from them, but shows what happens when kids use drugs: they make themselves sick! And the language is barely an issue. The term "jackass" is thrown around once or twice, but in this case, they're literally referring to jackasses (donkeys). Would you put someone at fault if they said "hell" when they were referring to the place, or "dam" when they were referring to the thing holding back water? It would be silly if you did. Just like it would be silly if the only reason you keep your kid from watching this is because they say "jackass". The only thing I would keep an eye on is the darkness of this film. While being mostly tame, there are a few dark moments that can scare younger kids. But once your kids are ready for it, Pinocchio is something the whole family can enjoy together!
Educator Written byacosgrove February 8, 2013

fab

really good movie my nice says she dosent want a big nose so she has never lied since i let her watch is so its good in a way but over all i give i five stars not four
Kid, 10 years old June 5, 2011

Disturbing Tale About Donkey Slavery

Pinocchio is pretty bad. Boys drink beer,play pool, and smoke. The words jackass is used.Boys turn into donkeys and are sold to circuses and salt mines. This deeply disturbed me, since I have a kind heart. In one seen, it apears that pinocchio has died. Red Lobster is shown in one seen.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhugeonepiecefan1 July 13, 2010

Not cussing?

Here is the thing. For those of you who think that they are using jackass as profanity, you are right and wrong. A jackass was a 1940's term for donkey but they way the guy said it you'd think he was swearing but the way pinnochio said it he meant it as the fact that he had a donkey head
Teen, 15 years old Written bylunacat May 26, 2012

Great Classic :)

Pinocchio is a great movie because it shows reality. Old cartoons are soooooooooo much better because they don't sugarcoat everything! This movie shows a positive message; it tells you to be honest and listen to what your parents say because they are way smarter than you.There isn't any violence exept for "Mr. Honest" being hit by a mallet. There isn't any consumerism either.The red lobster hotel does not count because the red lobster restraunt didn't even exist in 1940 when this movie was made.They do show drinking and smoking though. I'm only saying this movie is for ages 7 and up because a kid who is any younger would forget all about this movie when they get older, and have trouble paying attention. Pinocchio is only educational if i has a message, right?
Parent Written byFrankinf March 24, 2012

Not for young kids

It is a classic not for young kids it has smoking and drinking and the use of the word Jacka**
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 May 10, 2011

Great, And That's No Lie

A kindly old woodcarver named Gepetto wants to be a father, and carves a puppet out of wood whom he names Pinocchio. The Blue Fairy brings his creation to life, and gives him a conscious (the charming and iconic Jiminy Cricket). Pinocchio does get into trouble (conned, lied to, and kidnapped)but he's not a bad kid. He's just an average kid, innocent but does misbehave, and is naturally trusting and naive. This was Disney's Second Animated Feature after Snow White , and as was once criticized as having no dwarfs, but it's so marvelous in it's one right. Other than scenes of smoking and drinking that show the consequenes, some scenes are a little scary. Children turning to donkeys, and Monstro the whale may frighten little ones, but I wasn't afraid. The songs are probably the best of the Walt era, the characters are great, and the world is very enchanting.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byGRANDKIDS5 January 29, 2011

TEACHES A VERY GOOD LESSON!!! NOT SCARY

I saw this movie when I was a kid. I learned alot from the movie, lying was bad, getting in with the wrong crowd had consequences, drinking, smoking etc, would make me into something I didnot want to be. And that the greatest love of all, can make all things possible. Most of all, it ingrained into me that I had to have a conscience. My parents did not talk to me about the movie after it was over. WHY???? Parents today are making wimps out of todays kids. I guess that is why some of today's parents are called HELICOPTER PARENTS, THEY HOVER TOO MUCH! LET THE KID ENJOY THE MOVE, IF THEY HAVE QUESTIONS , THEY WILL ASK!