All member reviews for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

More swashbuckling + less violence = OK for older tweens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJaneEyre<3 June 7, 2011

Loved it!!

I really enjoyed this one,even the plot was a much less intricate than the others(almost a little sloppy),and a couple things were random. There was much more sexual references than the other three,but it was definitely not as violent as the others. Johnny Depp,Penelope Cruz and Geoffrey Rush.I mean,how much better can you get?(And even a 10 second appearance of Dame Judi Dench!!) I liked the mermaids ALOT.I mean,they were kinda scary for 10 and under,but my 10 year old brother really liked it in the theater and wasn't scared(at least,that's what he says). I thought it was well cast(and I'm glad they ditched Keira and Orlando).It is my second favorite one and 8/10 stars. &lt;3 ps. There is brief nudity with the mermaids(you don't actually see anything,it's blurred) except for one part,and even then you don't see anything.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byDulcie May 27, 2011

In love with Captain Jack all over again.

Hubby and I took our 8-year-old and 5-year-old. Yes, I said 5-year-old. Honestly I see worse violence and sexual situations on T.V. I am not a permissive parent - mature/teen video games are not allowed and I even block some what I consider to be cartoons with over-the-top violence. They have seen all the other Pirate movies so I didn't hesitate with this one. My 5-year-old was a bit disturbed by the fanged mermaids but we talked about fantasy vs. reality and I convinced him all of the sailors/pirates survived. There was one scene where Blackbeard incinerates a lifeboat with one of his crew who he wants to make an example of and I thought that was a bit darker and harsher than needed even though you don't see anything gory. Jack continues to be a larger than life pirate with a heart of gold who cares about the welfare of his friends including his first mate Gibbs, a missionary, and a beautiful ex-flame. The movie seems to show that governmental and personal greed will not triumph. There is no nudity, although the mermaids appear to have human female torsos, their breasts are covered or concealed. When one Mermaid grows legs on land she is quickly given a large shirt by the missionary. Jack and his ex-flame do some minor tusseling that has sexual overtones but that will fly over the heads of younger kids. As in the other movies there is lots of sword play and fighting and men do get killed but it is not glorified. In short - if you have seen the others there is no reason not to see this one. In fact I liked this one considerably more than At World End. Enjoy!
Parent Written byBostonWriter May 22, 2011

Great adventure for the family

Despite the largely negative reviews from "professional" critics, the film is surprisingly entertaining. Lots of action, zombies that are scary enough (but not too scary) and some nice special effects combine to make this a great installment in the series. Jack Sparrow makes a few off-color innuendos but they sailed safely over the head of my 8yo. Catch it in IMAX 3D if you can.
Kid, 12 years old October 2, 2012

CSM needs to mention these things!

CSM missed something: the mermaids are TOPLESS!!! I know, their breasts are usually covered by their hair, but in a shot seen from a distance you can see the mermaids breasts! Also, when the mermaid falls out of her tank, her fin goes away, so that she has a completely naked female body. Although her breasts and vagina are not shown, you know she is totally naked and that everyone is looking at her privates.
Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2015

Jack Sparrow?!?!

Captain Jack is back again! With another movie! I love Johnny Depp's role as Captain Jack. The movie is amazing! Another 'must watch' from me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byOliejj20 December 22, 2013

FINE FOR 7 & UP

This is quite a good film not the best in the series this could be scary for ages 7 and up my 7 year old sister watched this and she was really scared of the mermaids and when black beard turns into a skeleton there is one use of bas**rd and at one scene jack sparrow and angelica dance and fall over on each other and are kissing
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byTraciCortez June 20, 2011

Not good for kids!

I thought my kids would be OK going to see this movie (age 9 and 6) and I was appalled at how much sex (cleavage, and lust and sexual tension that was WAY obvious) violence (scary creatures and violent scenes that were over the top) so much so that my 9 year old was scared to go to sleep that night. I was sooooo disgusted on how much cleavage was in this movie, lots of nudity without showing actually body parts (lots of side boob and a naked girl that is covering her breasts with her arm for a huge portion of the movie). I am a reasonable mom but this movie was WAY too much for children. Defiantly on the verge of needing to be rated R. If I would have seen this movie before my kids I don’t even think I would let a 13 year old see it. No reason to encourage sex to our children.
Kid, 10 years old May 22, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean 4

This was an enjoyable movie. The series order (best to worst) in my opinion is 3,4,1,2. The flesh-devouring mermaids made me jump. As in the past three, the characters drink often. This is the one with the most sexual innuendo (hitting and relationship talk). There is mild cussing. Blackbeard, Jack, and Angela are greedy (using the fountain to live longer), though they end up using it to heal. The Spaniards try to destroy the fountain. The missionary helps and sees the good in the mermaid, though Blackbeard tortures her. My opinion, wait until DVD unless if your child is ten.
Kid, 10 years old September 17, 2013

Depp perfect Sparrow

Awesome movie Jack Sparrow has more witty puns
Adult Written byjohnnydepp November 1, 2011

FAIL.

BELIEVE ME, IF YOU ARE MAKING A MOVIE DO NOT HAVE ANYONE LEADING EACH OTHER UP STAIRS BECAUSE YOU WILL GET BAD REVIEWS FROM COMMON SENSE MEDIA. SERIOUSLY GUYS???? THAT ISNT INAPPROPRIATE!!! WHAT IF THE GUY IS OLD AND NEEDS HELP UP THE STAIRS??? BUT NOOOOOOOOOO THATS TOO SEXUAL FOR THESE GUYS!!!
Kid, 11 years old October 24, 2014

Worst one of the series

Violence- 2 (Some sword-fighting and a little bit of blood)
Teen, 13 years old Written byaimeel6 October 5, 2013

Very Disappointed

I loved the other three Pirates movies. I watched this one with a very open mind, hoping that other reviews would be wrong. Sadly, they were absolutely right. Johnny Depp's acting was fabulous, but that was the only thing I enjoyed about the movie. The lack of Will and Elizabeth had an impact on the movie. There was hardly any story, mainly just violence and romance. The supporting characters were bland. It would have been better just to leave most of them out. There were a few plot holes left to tie up at the end. Sadly, because of the way they were presented, I don't think they will be tied up in the fifth movie. If you are a devoted Pirates fan, go ahead and watch this movie. If you are simply going to watch it to finish the series, I would think twice before watching.
Kid, 10 years old June 1, 2013

Good role model, gross, and funny!

Hector Barbossa is a great role model in this film! After losing his left leg in battle (which is not shown) he had the courage to keep swinging his sword. Although this film has some very vaulable lessons about courage, it does have some violence and scariness (like all of the previous films.) Spoiler alert: At the end of the film Blackbeard is stabbed by Hector's poisoned sword. Angelica, Blackbeard's daughter, tries to pull the sword out of her father, but cuts her own hand as she pulls the sword out. Jack Sparrow grabs 2 cups and fills both with water from the Fountain of Youth, and puts a tear from a mermaid in one cup. He tells Blackbeard which cup has the magic tear that could either save him or Angelica, but not both of them. Before Blackbeard chooses which cup to drink from, Jack secretly switches the cups. Blackbeard grabs the wrong cup! Angelica is saved! Before I go on, I would like to say that what I am about to tell you might be scary for younger children: As Blackbeard stands up, ghostly winds turn into a tornado around him. Blackbeard's skin falls off! Blood spurts everywhere! His skelton breaks apart, and his bones fall to the floor. This and many other death scenes are bloody and gory. Although some of the violence is a bit gross, this movie is funny too, and Johnny Depp did a great job playing Captain Jack Sparrow.
Kid, 12 years old November 29, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Strager Tides 101

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is a great movie for kids 10+. There was plenty of sword fighting, stabbing, and torturing. Although there was no straight forward "romance" parts, there was a ton of clevage - mermaids with no top ( no sensitive parts shown ), Angelica wears many innapropriate shirts. There were some positive messages along the way though - a missionary guy risks his life several times to save a person he loves and Angelica is a very strong character. Thanks for reading! :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. April 14, 2013

Hated it

Kid, 10 years old May 21, 2015

Not the best

Pirates of the Caribbean: on stranger tides is a good movie but children ages 10 and under will find it hard to understand. Jack sparrow acts more of a comedy character than a pirate. This is also quite violent, at one point somebody stabs a dagger through someone's heart. There is loads of swashbuckling, as you would expect from a pirate movie. I would recommend this for children ages 11 and up
Teen, 14 years old Written byProjektor May 14, 2015

this is not the same atmosphere as in the previous parts . probably due to the almost whole range of the change . the director has changed. However, very entertaining action-adventure - fantasy .

This movie have lots of scary moments and action-adventure violence. This is most sexual film in series, but despite this it is very mild. And characters drink rum.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygranth December 23, 2014

Pirates 4

On stranger tides is slightly disappointing for a pirates of the Caribbean film.It is the 8th film to make a billion dollars.It excludes Keira knightly and Orlando Bloom and introduces Penelope Cruz and Ian McShane.Same old Captain Jack Sparrow, same languages, and drinking. Sexual tension between Sparrow and a woman from his past. Mermaids and sword fighting violence and Geoffrey rush's character was highly disappointing .
Teen, 14 years old Written byStemma21 December 11, 2012
Teen, 14 years old Written byAndy2000 September 8, 2014

Second best out of the four movies

I found myself curling my lip at the second and third movies. I did not expect to like On Stranger Tides, but, because the first movie was so good, I decided I might as well watch this one. In fact, On Stranger tides is the second best out of the four movies, at least in my opinion. Swearing is mostly limited to colorful pirate language which is not really that dirty. And you should expect a moderate amount of violence for a swashbuckling movie. This is not over the top. There's some innuendo, but it would mostly blow over the heads of 7 year olds and such. At the end there is one reference to two characters sleeping with each other while drunk . . . but the one character had made up that story and it that certainly did not appear on camera. This is a Disney movie after all. I suppose in reality it's appropriate for just about any age. It's a good movie in terms of production. Awesome sets, acting, etc. Though the story is at times a bit lacking. The positive morals are definitely there, though. As always in swashbuckling adventures, there's some drinking and portrayals of drunk characters. But again, that should be expected from a pirate adventure of this nature.