All member reviews for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Rip-roaring fun for kids who don't mind skeletons.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byCountryMom27 May 11, 2011

Requires some parental supervision but very fun

A few scary scenes, especially with the skeleton pirate fight, but very little gore. Some characters are stabbed but no spurting blood, etc. My 5 & 7 year old sons watched it with me and we really enjoyed it. One of those movies that is not exactly kid-fare but is ok with supervision
Teen, 13 years old Written bymathgirlie September 7, 2010

Amazing and funny!

This is the BEST Disney movie I've ever seen in my life! I didn't have very high expectations for this movie (C'mon, it's an advertisement for an AMUSMENT PARK RIDE, people!) But half an hour into them movie, it became one of my favorite movies of all time! Capt. Jack is hilarious, with his slurring and constantly drunk-like walk (although you never see him drink on-screen) and Will Turner is heroic (albeit a little stupid in some places--like when he dashes off to save Elizabeth without a seconds' thought) and Elizabeth is a strong role model for girls everywhere--she is clever, funny, and keeps her head in a crisis. I highly recommend this movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byA.M. June 27, 2010
This is the best movie in the trilogy, I think. The graphics are believable and it's just pure entertainment. Johnny Depp is very funny, and Knightly and Bloom play there roles well. Lots of violence, explosions, chases, etc. (Harry Potter sometimes shows bloody cuts on characters' faces and hands, but in this movie, I remember no blood whatsoever.) The sequel is okay, but save yourself time and don't watch the 3rd.
Adult Written byAmandasMOM April 9, 2008

Not for kids... Not for adults with a brain.

The movie seemed a bit scary for smaller kids. What was supposed to be humorous seemed plain stupid. The women might as well be topless, as the costumes leave little to the imagination. Not what you would expect in a family movie. Over all it just seemed to adult for kid's and to low IQ for adults...
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byBennyZ March 5, 2010

Might be OK for little ones if you know your kids

My kids are really into pirates and they LOVE this movie. We usually start a movie and see if they can handle it with the option of quitting if it gets scary. Our boys are really in touch with themselves and are good with letting us know if things bother them. They were easily able to handle the skeleton crew and there were really no terribly scary monsters like those that appear in the later two movies of the trilogy. Some parents might take offense to the violence and the general pirate-ness (yes the cast does misbehave just like real pirates did), but we found it easy enough to explain to our kids that pirates in general were not very nice people and they shouldn't act like the pirates did. To conclude, this movie is great fun for our four and five year olds, but you should really know your kids if you are going to show them this movie at that young of an age. I would not recommend the second or third movie in this series for children of this age.
Educator and Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written bylioness57 April 9, 2008

Fun, fun, fun!

We took our 9 year old and left our 5 year old at home. My 9 year old doesn't scare easily and she loved it. Every potentially frightening scene is balance by Johnny Depp's wonderfully funny character - - no time for the scary skeletons to sink in before you're laughing out loud again.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byAvasMom March 28, 2010
Adult Written byshwinick April 9, 2008

Why PG-13?

I took my seven year old after reading several reviews that said it was okay for younger kids. I agree. Yes, there is fighting. But it is cartoon violence. The pirates turn into skeletons, but while my son found this cool, he was not scared -- in the least. If you have a 6 year old and up, go for it.
Kid, 9 years old June 19, 2016

WATCH IT NOW

The absolute BEST movie EVER, put down the computer and watch it now. 100,000,000,000,000,000,0 stars out of 5, probable my favorite movie ever. It's a bit scary, but it's way more funny that violent. Jonny depp as capitain jack sparrow is the best combo! watch the sequel also because it just gets better. Great for girls and boys. I'm a girl and I loved it.
Adult Written bysarahkay89 February 3, 2011

Great for teens and adults

Amazing movie. Interesting plot. Beautiful soundtract. Great actors. Loved it. A little creepy for kids (lots of scary skeleton pirates walking around). But overall the movie was not bad. No notable language. No sex scenes (some innuendos). Violence--explostions, sword fights, etc--but no 'gore'. Again, I would not recommend for young children, but for their parents and teenaged sibling, its perfect. :)
Kid, 7 years old November 28, 2010

BEST MOVIE EVER!

I think Jack is really funny.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bytealsweety July 7, 2009
Parent of a 2, 4, and 16 year old Written byxoxoChelseaBeth February 15, 2010

Good enough for my family!

My children and I LOVE it!
Parent of an infant, infant, 3, and 5 year old Written byMississippiQueen January 7, 2009
Teen, 13 years old Written byyay4anime July 15, 2010

A Fun, but Somewhat Violent Movie

I'll always remember this movie very well, because it's the first PG-13 movie I ever saw...when I was in 6. It was a great movie, and, though I was too young to really understand the plot of it, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's rather violent: one character is stabbed in the chest with a knife, many other people are stabbed with swords, shot with cannons, etc.. It isn't TOO graphic (with the exception of the character being stabbed with a knife), so I think kids 10+ should handle it.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byS Snape November 17, 2009

great action adventure movie

i really like it but it is violent, has lots of rum, and has a few bad words. it shows charachters being stabbed, shot, and knocked out. it is pretty scary and gross, like when a charachter has a fake eye and gets stabbed by a fork in his eye and the fork just sticks out of his eye for a while. the skeletons will probably scare kids and there is alot of drinking. they say the h word alot.
Parent of a 4, 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bydeann22666 June 30, 2009

can be too much for some kids

we really like these movies, but they are for kids that can tell the difference between fact and fiction
Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byleashguy June 26, 2009

Suitable for ages 6+

Personally, I find this movie very appropriate. Yes, there's violence but it is VERY comical. Sure theres some language and sexual content but at that age, who doesn't want to be a pirate? I know I did. Anyway, not letting your child see this is a mistake. He/she will love it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bypen7777 May 2, 2011

I love this movie!!!

This movie is awesome!!! It has action and adventure but also has comedy. Most kids wont get scared, it depends on the kid. Really a great family movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySilverSnake September 12, 2010

One of the best movies out there

I couldn't stop laughing, it was very good, although the violence is too much for me, like when one of the pirates shot the man that openned the door, I felt so bad for him! I hate it when people get tricked! Jack Sparrow is definitly my favorite, he's funny, yet he.. in his own way.. cares about his friends. Although he has made a habit of using them for his own profit, that's what pirates do of course. (Spoilers!) Drugs: Jack and I think Elizabeth (not sure if she was faking or not) got drug off of rum, still pretty funny though. Violence: Tons, Shooting, pushing, punching, hitting in the back of head, eye popping out (I can NOT look at that, can NOT!!) Swords going through people, blowing ups, falling off cliffs, skeletin people, hands fall off, blood (only with a cut of the hand) Sparrows old girlfriends slap him. Sex: Jack enjoys flirting, he made Elizabeth put on his belt for him when he was handcuffed (for his own personal enjoyment, her annoyment) Will and Elizabeth, obviously. Still, this movie is amazing, funny, and even though Disney didn't like Depp's acting at first, everyone else seems to enjoy it, he's the reason the movies are so loved!