Kid reviews for Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Funny comedy about a holiday travel nightmare has profanity.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheFilmFanatic May 12, 2018

Hughes's Road-Trip Comedy Isn't That Funny

I remember watching this with the family at Thanksgiving when I was about 9 or 10 years old. I remembered this movie being a lot funnier. Sure, the scene where Neal and Del are riding a car on the wrong side of the road is hilarious, but the majority of the movie is foul-mouthed and full of moments that will only make you chuckle a little bit. The one scene that pushes this movie into R-rated territory is when Neal says f--k over 15 times in one scene out of frustration. If you took out that one scene from the whole movie it would probably get a PG rating. Del is shown smoking in the movie a few times, and nothing sexual is shown or implied throughout the movie. Other than language, there isn't much that parents should worry about. This is a comedy movie that is worth watching around Thanksgiving once each year, and it has a good message about first impressions and friendship. I recommend you watch this movie with the family around Thanksgiving time. It should make you laugh a little bit.

Teen, 14 years old Written byGracie1234Gracie December 7, 2018

Some language, but HILARIOUS

I don't know why it was rated 'R' If you mute the really bad swearing scene, it is fine. BUT I LAUGHED SO HARD WATCHING THIS!!!

Kid, 12 years old October 21, 2018

John Candy and Steve Martin Make a Hilarious Duo

This is a very funny comedy with Steve Martin and John Candy, with both hysterical and sadder themes throughout. It's a very well done movie, and is worth the watch. So far as content, in one scene, Neal gets really mad about a car rental and says f--king a bunch of times. But f--k isn't used through any other parts of the movie. Other than that, goddamn, hell, and bitch all used infrequently. When Neal and Del ride in a swagged out taxi, there's a picture of a nude woman which you can kind of see, and what looks like two breast in a small corner. It is kind of hard to see, and the scene goes by kind of fast. And that's about it. Consensus: Great movie, should definitely watch it, 10-11+ for language.

Teen, 17 years old Written byTacoshrimp00 June 15, 2018

Keep in mind language

There is a scene where a character uses 20+ f -words

Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2018

Great comedy

I think this movie is really funny, and John candy I think is my favorite actor. Now for the other stuff: violence: not a lot of violence at all. Role Models: not too much of it at first, but at the end, Martin’s character becomes kind to candy’s because he realizes what he’s been through. LANGUAGE: throughout the movie, there’s mild pg language, excluding one scene where Martin uses the f word repeatedly in frustration. Sex - one scene in which a guy lavishly makes out with a woman, while an uncomfortable Martin watches nearby. Drugs and etc: some smoking and drinking. Overall, If you skip the f word part, this movie is great for the family.

Teen, 15 years old Written bypie guy 28 February 18, 2018

funny thanksgiving vacation

this movie is very funny. But theres one scene with the steve martian dude repeating the f word over and over again. If you watch that scene 10+ if you skip it 8+ Is a great movie with steve martian and john candy
Teen, 13 years old Written byhereismyreview December 29, 2017
Has a lot of childlike humor and can be funny for adults too. Is a adventure - comedy movie
Kid, 12 years old December 17, 2017

Here is a Helpful Review:

(I didn't know what to call this review.) Anyways, I just watched this movie and I wouldn't have guessed that it was rated R. It's a great holiday movie that is mostly appropriate for kids. There isn't much inappropriateness at all in the movie, and when there is it is comical. Also not much violence. But, if you are concerned about the language here is a heads up: in one scene the F word is said about 15 times, but honestly it just made me laugh so hard. (That scene was hilarious.) Your kids already know about that word anyways. I think this movie is fine for a mature 11 year old or a 12 year old! And in the end it turned out to have a very positive message!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCoolpool785 November 24, 2017

Great funny comedy has only one scene that's iffy.

Great comedy has only one bad scene, when a man says the F-Word about 30 times in a row. The rest is either a light PG-13 or a strong PG.

Kid, 9 years old February 11, 2017

planes, trains, and automobiles

Good but smoking, and language.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMPAA_Lover December 26, 2016

Not Very Inappropriate

Although this movie has an iconic tirade with f--k repeatedly, just about everything else is PG-appropriate. It is a great thanksgiving movie for somewhat older kids, and a very funny movie anytime!

Teen, 13 years old Written byKnight Who Says Ni December 1, 2016

John Hughes comedy just a brief scene of language to worry about

Funny comedy just has a brief scene of strong language okay for kids 11 and up. Sex: Inside a taxi are numerous pin ups of nude women but no actual nudity can be seen and since the taxi is dark the actual pin ups are hard to see. A couple start passionately kissing and necking for a few seconds. Violence: Some slapstick violence. Language: There is a scene where Steve Martin repeatedly says the f word.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJoker912 November 28, 2016

Hilarious, Heartfelt

One of the best comedies

Teen, 15 years old Written bymissmovielover November 3, 2016

So funny yet sad

Planes , trains and automobiles is a funny yet sad comedy about two strangers whos flight is delayed and they share a room together and go on an adventure. Ther is a scene with a lot of uses of the f word, and more language through the whole movie. It is not sexual, or crude. Must watch

Kid, 10 years old June 6, 2016

I think this shouldn't be R

Sure there's some bad language but it's not horrible and it's very funny and great for kids 10+, if you are younger than 10 I recommend you have a parent approval. Enjoy the movie

Teen, 14 years old Written bycatscale January 10, 2016

I loved this - it was a very good film.

As far as I can say, this is a very good movie, although I did see some adult*ish* jokes I think this is perfectly suitable for kids 13+.
Kid, 12 years old December 23, 2015

Mixed

Pros: Funny Has a good moral Cons: Language Brief Nuditiy Smoking Drinking

Teen, 13 years old Written byRex Banner November 28, 2015

Going on a trip in our little plane,train,or automobile soaring through the sky's

Honestly this movie is fine for 13 year olds if you skip the scene in which Steve Martin uses the dreaded F-bomb. this actually would have been a pg movie if they would have removed this scene. The only major issue here is the language.

Kid, 8 years old May 15, 2015

Very,Very Funny

I like how two friends stay together to get to the guys house. It shows how you should stay together no matter what. That's just what you do.

Kid, 8 years old May 15, 2015