All member reviews for Planes

Airborne adventure is OK for a few laughs; some stereotypes.

Educator and Parent Written byKraftyKP August 10, 2013

Good clean fun for children - refreshing!

Had the pleasure of seeing this movie before it hit the theaters and loved seeing a young boy in front of us jumping up and down with enthusiasm when the hero succeeds. As a preschool teacher, I found this movie perfect for young children and enjoyable as an adult. It was a lot of fun in 3-D and I may have to see it again, but I am pretty sure there was not a single fart or belch "humor" in the entire movie - refreshing. Good, clean fun that shows that the underdog, who had the drive to break out of the destiny he was born into (created for,) and instead, do and become what he dreamed. A message we all need to be reminded of.
Parent of a 1, 1, and 4 year old Written byEyeOutForViolence August 12, 2013

A couple of intense scenes

For my nearly 5 year old who loves airplanes and has been a fan of "Cars" since he was 18 months old, the movie was great. Parents should know that there is one scene where one of the main characters, Skipper, a WWII F4U Corsair, tells the story of why he doesn't fly. In a flashback to WWII, there are ships with anti-aircraft guns shooting down his squadron with the implication that all of his squadron were "killed" except for him (again, this is just implied, not stated or shown explicitly). This was probably the only objectionable scene in the movie, since my son has never been exposed to gun fire before, but this was mostly over his head. Aside from that there is a scene where the main character, Dusty, crashes into the ocean and looks like it might be "the end", but he is quickly rescued by diver and chopper team.
Kid, 10 years old July 28, 2014

planes

Planes was vary similar to cars, but did have a good message to younger children.
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd August 9, 2013

cars 1 and even cars 2 is better

It was a pretty mediocre movie,a few laughs ,better than turbo but not as good as other animated movies I saw in 2013 such as the croods,monsters university,despicable me 2,and epic
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bymomof2bears December 8, 2013

Excellent Family Fun

Fun for the whole family. We were cheering for the underdog all the way and were delighted when his good deeds and kind actions were rewarded. Magical fun. Strongly recommended. Ps. I don't recall it, but my son (9) says there was drinking in the bars after segments of the race
Adult Written byWill loves movies September 9, 2013

Planes Take Flight

I went into this movie having really low expectations because of what critics have said. I must say that it is not that bad of a movie. In my opinion, the last thirty minutes of the movie are really good and I look forward to the sequel. However, I thought Monsters University and the Croods were better animated movies. Now unto the review. Dusty is a great role model who is always showcasing the great message of never giving up on your dreams no matter who you are. There is one quite violent scene when the war plane is telling his war story and we see planes shooting at each other and planes disappearing as they fall. This is really the only intense scene in the movie. There is some sexual content that little kids may or may not pick up. Ishani's propeller is on her backside which is why we see Dusty stare at her propeller and say: "look at that propeller." Also, El Chupacabra constantly flirts with Rochelle who at first does not like him but eventually we see him have lipstick all over his face after he serendades her the night before. Obviously, there is a lot of consumerism in this movie because of all of the Planes featured toys that have been. One final note, Planes is basically Cars but with planes instead of cars so if you enjoyed Cars as much as I did then you may or may not like this movie.
Kid, 10 years old August 31, 2013

ACK! This ruined Cars!

This was the second worst film I would believe next to AFRICAN CATS! Ugh. This is more violent than even Cars 2 due to the PG rating!
Kid, 12 years old July 19, 2014

EXTREME BORINGNESS

Should be the the title of the movie. I went in thinking meh. I came out thinking, wow, what a waste of time! If your kids loved cars then they might like the idea of the movie. Dusty is an ok role model though.
Kid, 5 years old April 24, 2014

Good music!

I really like the music for this movie. My favorite songs are: Nothing Can Stop Me Now Fly Planes The Tunnel Dusty Soars You Don't Stop-NYC
Parent Written bySpidermanFan1993 November 10, 2013

Suprisingly Good

When me and my family were going to see this movie I thought that it would be terrible. This was due to all the bad reviews that the movie had been receiving. However, after seeing this movie the critics were wrong. This movie is the typical story of an underdog who strives to do something great. It is really encouraging because the main character had been told that he would never be able to compete in the race that he wanted to compete. Well after trying numerous times he is able to enter the race. Also this movie shows the principle of the Bible verse that says "whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap" Galatians 6:7. This is evident when the main character helps out another plane. Some time after this when he needs help other planes are willing to help him. As for the violence you see an entire WWII fighter pilot squadron all get killed except for one as well as some action during the races and the action toward the end of the film. There are some comments made in this movie that are sexual in nature as well as some severely implied kissing scenes. This movie is better than what people give it credit for. Overall, this a movie that young kids would like and is a movie the entire family could enjoy.
Kid, 11 years old October 5, 2013

Disappoint

I say that this is for kids, but adults beware THIS MOVIE bores. Cars is way better. EVEN CARS 2 is better than this borefest.
Parent Written byjocelynaus September 7, 2013

kid-appropriate but lacks story and character development.

We were quite excited about this film as the original Cars is still on high rotation in our house. Sadly were disappointed, there is nothing inappropriate in the film (a la Cars 2) but it jumps plot and character development and ultimately my 4 year old and I both lost interest.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 August 31, 2013

Fun and fast

Planes is a fell good family film just like cars, but still is a little behind. I feel like cars focused more on it's characters but planes focused to much on the story. Doesn't in any way mean its a bad movie though. Dusty Cropjopper is a plane (crop duster) who dreams of life as a racer in the wings around the world competition. If I go any farther than that I would have to spoil some things but I'm not going to do that. There is nothing innapropriate or profane in this movie but there are planes being jerks, plenty of crashes, and you find out one character use a special fuel that makes you faster- basically steroids. It's a good movie to see with your family because of the multiple life message and positive role models. For any cars fan ages 5+ should definatley see this. Grade A-
Kid, 10 years old August 24, 2013

Go watch it!!!

This is a great movie for the whole family you should watch it it is a great movie.
Kid, 8 years old August 22, 2013

planes was great!!!!

It was nothing like cars, It was better than cars and cars 2 . I am 8 years old and loved this movie
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen August 21, 2013

Planes are so awesome!

I like to see Planes last Saturday, because it's a good movie for me.
Kid, 8 years old June 13, 2015

Fantastic, amazing, fun movie is great for kids.

My rating:G
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuperman13 May 25, 2015

So lame. So bad. So pointless.

Really? Planes? WOW. What has this world come to. This movie is a carbon copy of the little engine that could, and it is no different than Cars. The concept of a little runt with a big dream is SO utterly cliché. Also, this movie has the worst jokes of this century. None of it is remotely funny! Don't bother with this movie.
Kid, 12 years old January 24, 2015

Planes. Boring!

This is a movie that is pretty boring for teens. I hated it. My brother loved it. Dusty is the underdog that ends up being the winner. It's just like Cars and Ratatouille. But way more boring. For all ages, but super boring for 8 and up.
Kid, 11 years old October 18, 2014

I love Planes

This is a great and funny movie! I did get bored of it after watching it ten thousand times. This movie is for all ages, just some characters are not very nice sometimes. I love this movie and so do my four and three-year-old cousins! It is just as good as Cars. It has a couple parts where my little cousins got nervous, but they've seen it like 10 times. great movie!