Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Planet of the Apes (1968)

Original Apes mixes smart sci-fi and fighting, sexy stuff.

Parent Written byNoFliesonNigel July 1, 2013

Great Movie

Great Sci-fi movie. Not scary but does have some shocking scenes.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byNiknicIN January 4, 2014

Classic every kid (12+) & parent should see

My son is eleven, and this movie gave us a chance to discuss some good topics. I have never seen it before, and we both loved it. I think it can be okay for a mature 11 year old.
Adult Written bydavidrox January 31, 2013

Great!

A nice, interesting, and exciting movie that has a shocking ending. the actors are good, and so is the plot. theres a little language, d*** is pretty much it, but also some bloody violence. another thing is a two minute shot of guys butts. today, it would be Rated PG-13.

Adult Written byBird B. August 27, 2017

Not particularly good to show to kids who need rolemodels

I don't know why but I got shown this movie as a kid and I didn't knew what to expect. I just remember that the women treatment in the film is particularly poor and it somehow affected me later on. I had some intrusive thoughts that were linked to scenes from this film, certainly because I was shown this as a kid and didn't had a proper sexual education. So having to watch a movie in which the human females are barely seen or presented as inferior (or being with males solely to mate...really) it really stuck with me, and not in a good way. It somehow had a debilitating effect on me.
Definitly restrain yourself from showing such a film to kids who are looking for rolemodels. The moral of the film is interesting but also quite depressing. Thought-provoking, that's for sure but not necessarily something you want to see after hearing aboutmultiple dark topics.

Adult Written byHarvey K. February 6, 2017

NOT for little kids

I'm old enough to be a grand parent by now. I got dragged to see this film when I was SEVEN years old. One, I could barely follow it, and two, I was SCARED to death from the corpse, the violence and killing and the concept of "mean" apes hunting and killing humans and being brutal to them in cages. Was a HORRIBLE experience to be forced to go to this as a seven year old child. Kids should be 13+ to see this so as not to have negative impact.

Adult Written byattentivemom September 5, 2014

I rarely think CSM is off, but this time I disagreed....

I watched this with my 9 & 11 year old. I had recently watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes with my 11YO and we wanted to see the original. There is some violence as mentioned, but none of it gory at all. The entire movie has such dated special effects that "scary" scenes don't feel scary, and the violence is not graphic. My 9YO is sensitive to scary stuff, but didn't find the "decaying corpse" at al scary. My biggest issue was the use of the word d**n, which was maybe 10 times or more in the movie. There were a couple of sexualized comments, but I think they went over my kids' heads. It is great for talking about taking issues like war and environment. I was concerned about the nudity, but watching it was fine for us because it is not a sexualized nudity (the men strip down to swim in a pool, nudity is from the backside)
Parent of a 6 year old Written byajsapi July 13, 2014

Don't Fear Concepts

This film has MILD violence. PG. It has the A, H & D swear words. Also meaning PG. Nothing in this movie would make it PG13. I saw one review give it a NOT FOR KIDS button because "Hm.. Offending to Christians..." I think this is why people are giving it PG13. You're nine year old may not understand all the concepts presented and questions proposed in Planet of the Apes, but you probably won't either. It's what makes this a great film. And unless your afraid of your child using her/his brain, then this film is definitely for them.