All member reviews for Planet of the Apes

Decent re-imagining of the classic.

Kid, 9 years old August 13, 2011

THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE OF ALL TIME

Not for people under 20! This is horrible I watched this when I was 8 and I still have bad dreams about it. DO NOT SEE THIS ITS PURE SCARY AND EVIL!
Kid, 10 years old August 7, 2010

0 star movie!!! :( :( :(

I hated the movie!!!!! The worst movie ever!!! It was really violent, a lot of bad language and stuff like that!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old July 21, 2013

The twist at the end ruins everything and makes no sense.

The movie was pretty good until the end. The story was well written ( except for the end ) and the action sequences were good. If you skip the last 10 minutes you'll be ok and possibly satisfied unless you like ridiculous and pointless twists. My mpaa rating: PG-13 for sci-fi violence and battle sequences. Language includes hell and d**n
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow August 22, 2012

Just as good as the original

Before I watched this, I was almost certain I would like it more than I did the original. Surprisingly though, I did not find it to be as good as I thought. I mean, I still really liked it, and it's my favorite Tim Burton film, but I kind of thought it was on par with the original in terms of quality. And that's very strange, considering the fact that they're both so wildly different. I liked the original for its intelligence and sophisticated yet simple story, but I disliked it for Charlton Heston's performance and the outdated makeup. I enjoyed Tim Burton's version for its amazing makeup, cool battle sequences and the acting, but I disliked it for its incoherent plot and a few illogical themes; for example, in the original, the apes look down on the humans because they're dumb and animalistic, whereas in the remake, they can talk and function and everything, so it makes less sense. Oh, and plus, what is with the ending? It's SO confusing. Neither me or my dad could figure it out. So in the end, I guess I can't really choose which version I like better. But regardless if its coherency flaws, this film is still really good. Rick Baker's makeup was stunningly realistic, and I have no idea why he wasn't nominated for an Academy Award. Tim Roth was very effective as the menacing General Thade, and Michael Clarke Duncan was also dedicated as the brutish right-hand-man. You know who would have been nice in this movie? Forest Whitaker. As evidenced by his performance in Battlefield Earth and The Last King of Scotland, he is very effective in brutish and tough roles. Still, this movie works well with what it has, and the twist ending will probably provide screaming entertainment for hardcore whodunits.
Teen, 17 years old Written bykojitheman December 18, 2011

horrible { My opinion. Don't let my review stop you from seeing this movie}

Worst movie ever. My rating: Intense sci-fy violence and brief language.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 September 30, 2011

CSM gave this four stars, so I thought this would be a good one to watch. I was utterly disappointed. How is a four-star review possible? Ridiculous.

My rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi battle violence, and for a subtle alcohol reference.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn September 5, 2011

Remake is fun and action packed, but may be too brutal for younger audiences

The 2001remake of Planet of the Apes is much better than the reviews will have you believe, but unfortunately, it is not a competent remake since it replaces the original movies brain and self aware plot with special effects and action, not that special effects and action can always be all that bad, though, since it is also quiet fun. The only real problem for some younger audiences may be the violence, which is at once harsh and brutal against the humans and orchestrated by the apes, and may deeply disturb some of the very young audience members, even though it isn't really for them. Most tween's should be fine and almost every teen should probably have seen something far worse than this by now.
Kid, 12 years old November 1, 2010

ok for older tweens due to language

very awesome and intresting film, i was only dissappointed at the end when apes start ruiling al over again.
Teen, 13 years old Written by9001 March 16, 2010

Iffy for ages 12-13.

I saw this movie awhile ago, and I don't remember it being too bad. It had action violence, and a scene where a topless ape (no nipples were shown) was jumping up and down next to her husband on a bed. There is, of course, some language. Iffy for ages 12-13.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer January 17, 2010

an awsome movie

i really really liked this movie. There was a lot of vilonce but no blood was shown and some characters were killed on screen. But the vilonce wasnt pointless like it was in 10,000 B.C.. the vilonce actually added some excitment and some fun and some scare into the movie. so bottom line i really liked it and teens 13 and up should go see it!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

scary

this movie is very scary and very vilont. do NOT let any child under the age of 11 see it. andonly let kids that are 11 see it if they are VERY MATURE VIEWERS. but if there not i would save the movie till there ALMOST 13.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Decent SciFi Action

Decent remake
Teen, 13 years old Written byeteichert April 9, 2008

STU -PID!!!

This movie was a pointless attempt at remaking a classic! Their hopeless attempt at not only humor, but references to the old movie and a battle scene that never happened were pathetic! I bought this movie for five dollars and was still ripped off!