All teen and kid member reviews for Pocahontas

Teen, 15 years old Written byFirebirds Daughter December 16, 2010

It's WRONG. It's ALL WRONG.

This movie was so historically inaccurate, it made my brain hurt. None of this happened. Pocahontas fell in love with (and married and had a son with, might I add) a man named John Rowe. Native American women did not run around in mini-skirts. James Smith was never in any actual danger. She was ELEVEN when she met him. I'll grant that it's a Disney movie, and Disney can't be trusted, but this is their worst. Stereotypes are loud and prominent, and the depiction of Powhatan's relationship with Pocahontas is way of mark. James Smith was a liar, only interested in money, fame, power, and not getting thrown in the Tower (which he periodically DID). He never really stayed in Jamestown, that wasn't the way he worked. The Native American's were facing disease and drought, revolution among their own ranks. You CAN make a romantic tragedy out of the story of Pocahontas, but her falling in love with James Smith is just adding insult to injury. Also, James Smith had NO IDEA what any of the Native American's were saying in their own language. This movie is proof that Disney needs to do more research before they make a historical movie. If they weren't trying to pass it off as Pocahontas and if the outfits were a bit more accurate, I MIGHT be willing to hand at least half of it to them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiggy12345 August 23, 2014

it's great!

who cares if this movie is historically inaccurate it's still one of the best Dizney musicals
Kid, 9 years old April 3, 2011

GREAT GREAT GREAT!

awesome story maybe violence but no blood its fun family anybody can watch it! so what if its not history right? you think kids wanna learn all there life? NO WAY!
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag November 23, 2012

Disney classic feautures strong messages, powerful songs and good role models

"Pocahontas" is a classic animated movie by Disney. Being a follow-up to the masterpiece "The Lion King" (5/5 stars), the expectations were high. And yes, if you expect a traditional Disney cartoon rather than a history movie, this movie has got quite a lot of positive aspects. This is a movie that fascinates for its perfect use of music, while showing some of the most amazing visuals of entire movie history. Like its masterful preceeder, the movie is perfectly balanced, featuring both a darker plot and light-hearted moments of comic relief. The side characters Meeko and Flit (a raccoon and a kolibri) can be compared to Timo and Pumbaa (from "The Lion King"), or Mushu and Cricky (from the then-to-be-released movie "Mulan") and are as charming as them, even though they can't talk like the others. The Oscar-winning soundtrack features great performances, with its highlight being the powerful ballad "Colors of the Wind", which also was given an Academy Award. The movie's messages are superb, being friendship is always better than fighting, and that you should get known to another culture before judging it. Sometimes the bad ones aren't the ones you expect them to be. This movie is definitely a very superb one, and should not be critically panned just because it is historically inaccurate - always keep in mind that both "Titanic" and "Inglourious Basterds" gained positive reviews even though having the same "problem". ----------------------------------------------------- (SPOILERS may follow:) The movie has some peril, one death. Character's names are not written down in order to avoid strong spoilers. A side character attacks a main character with a knife, he is then shot to death by another side character trying to protect the main charcter, there is no blood. A minor character is injured by a gun. A main character is almost executed by another main character, but then gets stopped right before anything happens. A main character is shot by another main character, when the first one jumps in front of a third main character. No blood. (In this movie, it is not clear if he survives, but since he appears in the Direct-to-DVD sequel it is clear he does) (END OF SPOILERS) Even though having some brief moments of violence, kids WILL be able to handle this. The peril is neither as strong as in "The Lion King", nor is the movie that dark. The violence also is not detailed or frequent, and there are several moments of strong comic relief. I think this movie is suitable for all ages.
Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE June 12, 2010

Amazing movie! Great music, characters, and story.

This is one of my very favourite Disney films. It's a great movie for kids of all ages, despite the fact that there is some cartoon violence and a bit of racism from both the Native American tribe and the English settlers. Although it's historically inaccurate, it may inspire kids to learn about what the movie was based on-- the real Pocahontas, the real John Smith, the real Virginia Company, and so on. The music is amazing! All the songs in the movie are just great. I love the opening song, 'The Virginia Company'-- it just takes you back in time and gets you ready for a 1600s movie, you know? And 'Steady As The Beating Drum' and 'Mine, Mine, Mine' are wonderful songs as well. The lead character, Pocahontas, is strong and a good rolemodel for young girls. The movie carries a great message. It's definitely not to be missed.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 June 6, 2010

you decide

It's very, very inaccurate, so you can throw education out the window. But it does show a kid-friendly view of the Native American genocide caused by the Europeans. Though, most is not shown, and the rivalries seem to cease by the end; but you still know they did not.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares December 26, 2008

Terrible...

Pocahontas makes an important historical figure look like little more than a magical forest woman. Parents, remember, when you show children historical films, make sure it is historically accurate.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

Awesome music, awesome animation, awesome movie!

This is a Disney movie. Therefore: - the lead female character is beautiful and falls in love - there is a "bad guy" - there is cartoon violence and fighting AND -amazing songs -amazing animation -good story -a good message at the end -thing turn out all happy in the end Every child should be able to watch Disney movies. There is nothing wrong with this one.
Kid, 9 years old May 6, 2014

Language!

This movie has a lot of language. Don't let young kids watch this, even though Pocahontas is an Disney Princess, which she shouldn't.
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd June 11, 2013

second favorite movie from walt disney

Just to let people this is a fantasy/Walt Disney's version of Pocahontas not the true story of Pocahontas
Teen, 14 years old Written bySouthPark200 June 22, 2012

Horribly Inaccurate

Terrible movie which completely interferes with history, do not show it to your child or they will be shocked when they discover the REAL story
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 9, 2012

Good, but could be better.

I thought it was good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTeenParent15 January 24, 2012

A little violent for a G movie

Pretty violent for a G movie but as long as you know your kid well it's probably fine, or you could always fast forward. It's a really good movie!
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 19, 2011

awesome movie. one of my faves. loves the music.pocahontas is one of my fave disney girls
Teen, 14 years old Written bySilverSnake July 15, 2010

A mix in history but still great

I'm in love with this movie, I watched it often when I was little till the point I always dressed like an indian. It was well made and they worked hard. Pocahontas isn't afraid to be herself and be courages, while her friend is a tad of a tattle-tail, but doing it for Pocahontas's own good. Although they did mix it up more than they needed to, like they put Pocahontas as an adult, when she was actually really young, maybe 12, and her and John Smith were actually friends, pretty much. It may have been more interesting if she was younger, but oh well, they cant remake it or anything. Either way it was excelent. The only things you may have to 'worry' about, is that the settlers used guns and indians used arrows, and some people got shot, some faitily, but it never harmed me when I was young, so it might not affect your child, and I'm the sensitive kid!
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 July 14, 2010

Good movie, but historically inaccurate

When I was younger I watched this movie and I thought it was okay. This film is also historically inaccurate (Pocahontas was a kid when she met John Smith, for example), but I understand why Disney did that. But that's not my only gripe about the film; sometimes the film feels dull and unexciting compared to other Disney films. But that's just my opinion. There is some guns and shooting, and the plot revolves around the conflict between the Native Americans and Englishmen. The sex includes Pocahontas and John Smith's romance, which involves them kissing (sometimes passionately). This film contains positive messages about accepting differences.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNorthernNights June 6, 2010

Get the facts streight!

I liked the movie and it was really interesting, although they need to work on the facts better, Pocahontas was a child when John Smith came, why must they make it romantic? I thought it would have been more interesting if she was a kid. Otherwise it was cool.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPoison Ivey December 12, 2009

just saw this movie for the first time yesterday and...it was violent? But I liked it except for the end cause that was not accurate historically, but the rest was just the end was shifted a bit to make it sutible for kids. I never really cared for the "disney magic" thing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBahBahBlahSheep November 22, 2009

C'est Fantastique

Awesome film but historically inaccurate.
Teen, 15 years old Written byYuna52 August 18, 2009

Wonderful classic for a Disney collection.

Pocahontas is an awesome movie. It has a wonderful soundtrack. It keeps all the dark aspects of the time in history it was based on but of course with Disney they have changed a lot to just for the movie. Some of the scenes doesn't make sense, like how Pocahontas and John Smiths' Language barrier was solved and the one song "Savages" is a bit racy but that's what this time of history was about, two different worlds colliding and heavy racism. So parents, I recommend watching this one with your kids. A great watch for any Walt Disney fan and collector.