All member reviews for Pokemon: The First Movie

Cooperation message buried under lots of violence.

Parents, back off! Pokemon has a eartfelt message, YOU should listen to!

I'd like to start off by saying that i, myself, am a 12 year old boy. One that happens to be a HUGE fan of Pokemon. To start, i've read your Parent reviews for tis feature, and i persnally see them as completely untasteful. Is the fact that animals fight so horrible that you must enforce lies upon your children? I bet, if you were to turn on Animal Planet, you'd see some sort of documentary with, guess what, lions killing gazells, wolves hunting rabbits, ect. How good of a parent are you if you have to lie to your kids t have a sense of security among yourself. It's not like kids don't think, "Hey, maybe that Tiger I saw as the Zoo yesterdy killed a wild deer for food.". Pokemon only fight each other becase they want to grow strong. You may have heard the old saying "You cn only truly aprreciate one through battle"? I'm not sure which, but there was an episode of Pokemon in which two pokemon characters fought and fought, and then when Ash and Co. meet up with the two, they realize they only have a rivalry to make each other better people. Sure, there are bad people in Pokemon (Team Galactic, Team Rocket, ect.) But there is always a message of truth in Pokemon, how many times has team rocket gotten punished for commiting wrongs such as stealing Pokemon? There have even been episodes in which Tam Rocket has tried to be good, and had much more success in doing that then being bad. So all i ask of you Parents out there is that the next time to review a show, watch not with your eyes, but with your soul. Sincerely, Shiny_Pinsir
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Adult Written byMafatu32 February 1, 2011

Ironic messages.

So, the moral is "Fighting is bad"? That's a pretty nice moral considering that's what the show is all about. Another thing, those monsters cried to bring him back to life at the end, now what message does that send? If you cry hard enough, you can bring people back? I don't know, I don't favor this movie.
Adult Written bymeiterumimizukage June 3, 2012

Pointless. Just skip it.

Adult Written byEternityTheory February 28, 2011

Hardly ironic if you pay attention.

This movie's point is often misunderstood, which is why that is the first thing I'll cover. Many say that its message of nonviolence is hypocritical considering that's the whole series' point, but this is not the case. In the series, trainers battle each other for fun, as a sort of sport or recreation. Think of it like football or boxing. It's harmless fun for them, especially since their pokémon are power-brimming creatures always eager to express their abilities. However, the sort of fighting this movie shows as wrong is not the same. Mewtwo forces his superclones to battle their regular versions tooth and nail, suppressing their special abilities. The helmet and pads are gone from the football game; the boxing gloves come off. They're no longer fighting for fun, they're fighting just to prove superiority. If anything, this movie tries to explain this difference to the naysayers saying Pokémon promotes violence. It stresses the difference between friendly competition and pointless fighting. Again referring to sports, it's the difference between boxing and street-fighting. Now, on some other points, I do not think this movie is unbearable for adults. The plot is pretty cheesy, granted, but one shouldn't always take things too seriously. Keep in mind that half the dialog is spoken with the character's tongue jammed into their cheek; Team Rocket especially feels the need to deliver humorously ridiculous puns such as "I wonder if [the clones] feel... Clonesome" at every turn. As for noticeable product placement, well... it's a movie based on a show that's based on a video game. All of the characters can be seen in said video game; that's promotion enough if you ask me. There's also mountains of merchandise out there too, but as a recommendation I say stick to the games: they're actually worth the cost and are the reason I still love this series after 12 years.
Adult Written bySneauxw92 May 20, 2011

Great for all ages!

I have loved this movie since I was young, I really don't see anything wrong with young children watching it :) As for as the battle scenes being Violent the most the Pokemon do is battle. No blood, no one dies and it ends with a happy ending just the way a kids movie should.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byFilmFather June 16, 2012

Better (and a bit darker) than I had expected

Don’t dismiss watching Pokemon: The First Movie just because you’re afraid you’ll be lost in a sea of Pokemon rules, strengths, weaknesses, and powers. The film actually puts plot and action first, probably in an attempt to reach a broader audience and not have parents scratching their heads or checking their watches. In short, you don’t have to know how to play the game to enjoy the movie. *** In a terse but entertaining 75 minutes, Pokemon: The First Movie gives us a menacing foe with more depth and internal conflict than many live-action movie villains, as well as positive messages on the importance of friendship, the pointlessness of fighting (which some say goes against the whole premise of Pokemon), and the belief that teamwork and loyalty are the true ways to live your life. Then there’s the ending that, while a bit deus ex machina, might have you shedding a tear if you’re not careful. *** Pokemon: The First Movie is rated G, but there are a few scenes to consider when it comes to very young viewers: Mewtwo uses his psychic powers to blow up the lab where he was created, and it’s implied the scientists who created him are killed; some of the Pokemon battles, as well as the actions of Mewtwo, may be too intense for preschoolers and younger (explosions, electrocutions, biting, slapping, punching); and there is the apparent death of a major character.
Adult Written byBeckstar November 1, 2011

Beautiful but sad film

I first saw this when I was about 7 or 8. I saw it at the theatres with my mum. Mum and I couldn't stop crying when Ash 'dies'. It was the most saddest thing I ever saw when I was little. I still cry when I see it, as pathetic as that sounds. I don't think Mum wants to see it again either, she thinks it's too sad. Ash is a FANTASTIC role model. He may be arrogant at times and stubborn. But he has a deep love for his Pikachu and sacrificies himself for it and other Pokemon. In the show he has often put himself in danger for his Pikachu, as he loves it so much. He also cares a lot for Brock and Misty, but especially Pikachu. The bond they have is often touching and will warm your heart. This film is quite violent. It has Pokemon clones fighting each other and has an 'evil Pokemon' theme. But a Good G Rated film.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 November 3, 2012

pokemon the first movie

Families can talk about the movie's theme of cooperation. What are some examples of how it's better to work as a team instead of alone or in competition with one another? How does this movie compare with other Pokemon entertainments, like the TV show, video games and apps? Why do you think Pokemon has reamined so popular for so long?
Parent Written byLilWeiWei December 8, 2013

I never caught them all...

Having been born in 1995, I watched this movie since I was about 4 years old. The thing is, I'd also been watching Pokemon since I could keep my eyes on a TV screen (I was probably 1 or so years of age). I was not afraid of the violence (And most other movies scared me crapless at that age), and I didn't end up verifying that age old rumor of "Let your kids see/play Pokemon, and they'll pit their pets together in battles". I'm not a violent person at all. This movie is safe for any kid that can watch a TV screen for 75 minutes, honestly. The movie itself is pretty much alright. It's aged well (You must realize it came out 14 years ago...), and it's got a good, positive storyline. Basically, monsters called "Pocket Monsters" or "Pokemon" who have natural but seemingly magical powers are trained by kids of 10 years of age and up called "Pokemon Trainers", to fight each other, so they and their trainers can become champions. Pokemon do not die in battles, only of old age. The trainers from the anime travel to an island in this movie and meet a synthesized Pokemon that humans created, and try to tame him, basically.
Adult Written byJon Lovitz May 20, 2009

=*( I didn't like it.

This movie sucked! It was boring and it gave me bad vibes. And I'm a pokemon fan!
Adult Written bycoolification April 9, 2008

I thought i was in heaven when suddenly i realized im still alive

"Pokemon is a story of the clash of the forces of good and evil where the fate of the world rests upon the hands on one trainer, Ash Ketchum, and his faithful friend, Pikachu. Together they will embark on a journey that will change their lives forever." THIS IS A LIFE CHANGING MOVIE!!!
Kid, 11 years old December 10, 2011

Nell Minow stinks!

Whoever wrote this review obviously was asleep for the whole movie and only heard about it from the drunk 80 year-old hypocrite sitting next to him. Pokemon is awesome. Many people grew up with it and if you don't understand it than don't bother.
Adult Written byHaloFreak123 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 3, 2014

Violent battles advocated by great messages.

A lot of intense (but bloodless) battle scenes, involving storms, explosions, and head-on duels. Perhaps the most disturbing point is when the bad guy, Mewtwo, forces all the Pokemon to fight their clones to the death. Personally I thought it was pretty emotional once Pikachu's clone stepped in at the last minute and repeatedly punched Pikachu's face, bruising him. However, it adds up to positive messages like friendship, sacrifice, and why fighting is wrong. Not recommended for the youngest kids. P.S. Speaking for everyone who disagrees with the "official review," just remember that it's only one person's opinion--a single staff named Nell Minow--and you might as well consider that more people here than less disagree that Pokemon is a 1-star, bloody, hopeless marketing tool. Almost everyone here agrees that Pokemon is for kids. That said, neither is my opinion about the film the only one to consider.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywhyamiusingthissite September 5, 2009

What's hideously annoying?

Pokemon is a Plural and Singular noun. Where in this did anyone use sexist treatment of girls? The child didn't appear dead he WAS dead, then the Pokemon used their magic healing tears,(I don't get it either) and he came back to life. Why is consumerism not an issue here when it is everywhere else in the Pokemon series? If I ever find the guy that wrote this thing I'll really give him something excruciating to endure. A five-hunded word essay on why Pokemon rocks, that he has to write, with a pencil, not a keyboard.
Kid, 11 years old August 6, 2012

Adults, you may want to read this.

So, I have watched this movies a ton of times, and I love Pokemon. I just do. The movie portrays Mewtwo as a cold-hearted villain (Or in the Japanese version, confused) who wants to separate humans from Pokemon in a cruel way- destroying them. No, that plot's not dumb. So he makes these super clones fight to the death with regular Pokemon and Ash and company think fighting is bad, which contradicts the whole series. If you've EVER seen the cut scene, you won't believe your eyes. The man who created Mewtwo, his daughter died so he wanted to make A CLONE of her along with the Kanto starters. Then, his wife yells at him to give up and Amber will never come back. The clones are seen playing together in a dream like place... then the other clones, not Mewtwo start fading away. The clones other then Mewtwo and Amber died while Amber was fading. Then she dies, leaving Mewtwo alone. The movie is darker then it seems. "The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. " -Mewtwo
Kid, 11 years old May 2, 2011

Appeal is a cut scene, featuring the birth of MewTwo, and his getting a crush on AmberTwo, then her death.

This is a Pokemon movie, so of course there's a bunch of product placement. This movie gives three good morals; Life is good, War is bad, and Clones and originals should be equal. But still, the main draw to get this movie is the scene cut from the dub for its first air: The Birth Of MewTwo, showing MewTwo in Dr.Fugi's lab, MewTwo befriending the clones, MewTwo Developing a small crush on AmberTwo, all the other clones dying, and Dr. Fuji's famous last words. However, it is of note that the "War is Bad" moral makes little to no sense within the context the context of the show and movie, which makes perfect sense, given that the original lesson was that all beings, clone, test-tube, genetically altered, natural, are all equal, and, furthermore, all beings within those groups are also equal amongst themselves, and other. So, basically, the true moral is this- Sexism, Racism, Childism, Homophobia, xenophobia, ect, are all horrible, and should not be practiced.
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag August 26, 2011

The movie of my generation is emotionally intense.

This is a movie i loved as a kid, and i can identify with it. If you are mature, you can talk about the ideals of the movie and if battling is good or bad and how it is depicted here. There are some rather violent and INTENSE battles - very sad scenes sometimes. The thing is, most adults will find the movie too sad and emotional to watch it. But most children will see the movie much less emotional. However the movie has positive messages, such as war is a very bad thing just as violence, and that everyone has a place on this planet. Pokémon is a love-it-or-hate-it franchise, that is a fact. My generation has grown up with it and has gone through the hype. Every other generation will probably find this annoying (this is what i heard from other families, my parents had no problems with it.)
Kid, 8 years old May 20, 2014

pretty good

ash dies but he comes back to life, wich I don't think a under-5-year old could handle.