All member reviews for Pokemon: The First Movie

Parents, back off! Pokemon has a eartfelt message, YOU should listen to!

I'd like to start off by saying that i, myself, am a 12 year old boy. One that happens to be a HUGE fan of Pokemon. To start, i've read your Parent reviews for tis feature, and i persnally see them as completely untasteful. Is the fact that animals fight so horrible that you must enforce lies upon your children? I bet, if you were to turn on Animal Planet, you'd see some sort of documentary with, guess what, lions killing gazells, wolves hunting rabbits, ect. How good of a parent are you if you have to lie to your kids t have a sense of security among yourself. It's not like kids don't think, "Hey, maybe that Tiger I saw as the Zoo yesterdy killed a wild deer for food.". Pokemon only fight each other becase they want to grow strong. You may have heard the old saying "You cn only truly aprreciate one through battle"? I'm not sure which, but there was an episode of Pokemon in which two pokemon characters fought and fought, and then when Ash and Co. meet up with the two, they realize they only have a rivalry to make each other better people. Sure, there are bad people in Pokemon (Team Galactic, Team Rocket, ect.) But there is always a message of truth in Pokemon, how many times has team rocket gotten punished for commiting wrongs such as stealing Pokemon? There have even been episodes in which Tam Rocket has tried to be good, and had much more success in doing that then being bad. So all i ask of you Parents out there is that the next time to review a show, watch not with your eyes, but with your soul. Sincerely, Shiny_Pinsir
Kid, 11 years old December 10, 2011

Nell Minow stinks!

Whoever wrote this review obviously was asleep for the whole movie and only heard about it from the drunk 80 year-old hypocrite sitting next to him. Pokemon is awesome. Many people grew up with it and if you don't understand it than don't bother.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywhyamiusingthissite September 5, 2009

What's hideously annoying?

Pokemon is a Plural and Singular noun. Where in this did anyone use sexist treatment of girls? The child didn't appear dead he WAS dead, then the Pokemon used their magic healing tears,(I don't get it either) and he came back to life. Why is consumerism not an issue here when it is everywhere else in the Pokemon series? If I ever find the guy that wrote this thing I'll really give him something excruciating to endure. A five-hunded word essay on why Pokemon rocks, that he has to write, with a pencil, not a keyboard.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 3, 2014

Violent battles advocated by great messages.

A lot of intense (but bloodless) battle scenes, involving storms, explosions, and head-on duels. Perhaps the most disturbing point is when the bad guy, Mewtwo, forces all the Pokemon to fight their clones to the death. Personally I thought it was pretty emotional once Pikachu's clone stepped in at the last minute and repeatedly punched Pikachu's face, bruising him. However, it adds up to positive messages like friendship, sacrifice, and why fighting is wrong. Not recommended for the youngest kids. P.S. Speaking for everyone who disagrees with the "official review," just remember that it's only one person's opinion--a single staff named Nell Minow--and you might as well consider that more people here than less disagree that Pokemon is a 1-star, bloody, hopeless marketing tool. Almost everyone here agrees that Pokemon is for kids. That said, neither is my opinion about the film the only one to consider.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLvl100uberpidgey January 7, 2010

Well...

First of all, let me clear some things up. Not as bad as most people say (and certainly not excruciating to endure!) and no sexist treatment of girls (where did they get THAT from!?). The violence may be a bit much for a G rating, but nothing worse than large cartoonish explosions. All that said, the story is pretty boring. It's not as good as later movies, most notably the sequel, Mewtwo Returns, which is much better (possibly the best Pokemon movie ever).
Kid, 8 years old May 20, 2014

pretty good

ash dies but he comes back to life, wich I don't think a under-5-year old could handle.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPD Man September 10, 2011

ONE STAR!? C'moooon!

Dang it,this movie had a one star!? That dropped my jaw!!!! This movie has to be a 5 star,I'm a 13 year old and I GREW up with Pokemon and I loved this movie as a kid,I didn't see how it was scary at all! It was just a regular pokemon episode only extended another 30 minutes (ok,maybe a little more intense) I can't believe some dimwits would actually rate this bad! Honestly,whoevers stupid enough to rate this a one star has no point what Pokemon truly incarnated from and where it has made its history! I haven't seen the movie in like 6 years but I remember it was the perfect movie for ANY pokemon fan for ANY age,especially if they are as young as I was then! WTF guys,if u think this is a bad movie then what about those programs u let ur kids see? Animal Planet? Thats full of animal life,sure,but animal life means animal hunting,killing and predators! And at noon to night theres programming that'd be to scary for kids,*clears throat* LOST TAPES? I mean,seriously guys,why are u stupid enough to downgrade what could've been the greatest moment in Pokemon history I mean,that iCarly show has several sexual references,I'm pretty sure that Ben 10 show actually has more killing than this,and some sitcoms have sexual humor and such! Guys,if u are going to be stupid enough to become an enemy against the world then why bother? Watch the movie with u soul,not just ur eyes! Why the heck are u guys even bothering to go and downgrade a good movie!? This original was the best,how come all the old movies are getting worse ratings than the newer ones? Pokemon 2000 has two stars,u guys are ridiculous! I GREW UP on these movies!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byLadyDanteEXE August 15, 2009

Not bad at all

Okay, I saw this in theaters when I was about 5. Maybe the adult who wrote this review doesn’t understand, but I'm in high school and people who aren’t even really serious gamers or anime/manga geeks still like Pokémon. For my generation, it’s retro. Not a fad. I know people who still like this movie. It had a pretty good plot, nice visuals for the 90’s, and introduced American Pokémon fans to Mew and Mewtwo. Pretty good job for “some hideously annoying cartoon series”. It teaches a message of accepting people who are different. (Mewtwo didn’t like Mew cuz it was born, not made.) But by the end everybody sees the error of their ways and gets along. And on top of that, Pokémon is not a cartoon. It’s an anime. Jeez. There IS a difference.
Teen, 13 years old Written byschuymarch1 April 9, 2008

The Best Pokemon movie ever...

This is an awesome movie. I do not agree with CSM about it being bad for 5+.
Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2015

Really good movie

Very good movie, great for 6+ who understands the difference between real life and 'fake worlds' (if anyone understands what i'm trying to say). "A laboratory is destroyed by explosion and fire as the screams of those trapped inside are heard. In addition to vicious one-on-one struggles, fire, explosives, laser beams, and electrocution are used as weapons in various battles. The villain uses his psychic power to thrown characters from great heights, smash them into walls, knock them down, and capture them. Great windstorms and rainstorms with raging waters threaten the Pokemon team. For several minutes the central human hero is thought to be dead." As bad as this seems, its been a bit over-exaggerated. Its not like a horror film or anything. It has a level of violence, but not high. As for the use of 'explosives' and 'laser beams', i'm sure their not used. Well, they technically are used, but the 'laser beams' are coming from mostly mewtwo and no 'explosives' were set- the explosions were also mostly mewtwo's doing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPokemonGirl April 14, 2013

AWESOME! nuff said

hi im 14,soon 15,years old and i thaught IT WAS AWESOME. NUFF SAID. WHEN PIKACHU CRIED I CRIED AND YOU WILL CRY. BEST MOVIE EVER. and with a happy ending i dont think the violence is by any way harmfull its just a cartoon. AWESOME CARTOON! I LOVE IT AND YOU SHOULD WATCH IT NO MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE :)
Kid, 9 years old September 17, 2012

Mewtwo Strikes Back

When I was 9 I said this: Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back is the best Pokémon movie ever made. It has a great short movie, and a great story. In one part Mew and Mewtwo by mistake, kill one of the main characters, Ash. But of course, they can't let a main character die, so they bring him back to life. Now I'm saying this: Pokemon: The First Movie is a movie that may be a little violent but it doesn't have any guns or blood, so most people should be fine. The only things are Mewtwo hates all humans and insults Pokemon and humans and think Pokemon are slaves. Mew gets hit my a shadow ball and pretends he is hurt and throw it back at Mewtwo and Mewtwo gets really hurt. And...well, you get the idea.
Kid, 11 years old August 6, 2012

Adults, you may want to read this.

So, I have watched this movies a ton of times, and I love Pokemon. I just do. The movie portrays Mewtwo as a cold-hearted villain (Or in the Japanese version, confused) who wants to separate humans from Pokemon in a cruel way- destroying them. No, that plot's not dumb. So he makes these super clones fight to the death with regular Pokemon and Ash and company think fighting is bad, which contradicts the whole series. If you've EVER seen the cut scene, you won't believe your eyes. The man who created Mewtwo, his daughter died so he wanted to make A CLONE of her along with the Kanto starters. Then, his wife yells at him to give up and Amber will never come back. The clones are seen playing together in a dream like place... then the other clones, not Mewtwo start fading away. The clones other then Mewtwo and Amber died while Amber was fading. Then she dies, leaving Mewtwo alone. The movie is darker then it seems. "The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. " -Mewtwo
Kid, 10 years old December 28, 2011

nk;, @

its for 17 an under
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag August 26, 2011

The movie of my generation is emotionally intense.

This is a movie i loved as a kid, and i can identify with it. If you are mature, you can talk about the ideals of the movie and if battling is good or bad and how it is depicted here. There are some rather violent and INTENSE battles - very sad scenes sometimes. The thing is, most adults will find the movie too sad and emotional to watch it. But most children will see the movie much less emotional. However the movie has positive messages, such as war is a very bad thing just as violence, and that everyone has a place on this planet. Pokémon is a love-it-or-hate-it franchise, that is a fact. My generation has grown up with it and has gone through the hype. Every other generation will probably find this annoying (this is what i heard from other families, my parents had no problems with it.)
Teen, 15 years old Written byarina96 August 18, 2011

Perfect for Children

I absolutely LOVE this movie! The message is clear and heartfelt and can teach kids a valuable lesson. Pokemon is no more violent than any of the other cartoons out there and any kind of "violence" doesn't even cause injury to any of those who it is inflicted on. For whoever says it's "excruciating to endure" bear in mind that this movie is NOT targeted at adults therefore you are not intended to enjoy it. This is a CHILDREN'S movie and is meant to entertain CHILDREN. Children will love this movie along with the entire Pokemon franchise.
Kid, 11 years old July 5, 2011

its great

i think this is appropriate for all ages. i have loved pokemon for a long time and i havent seen it in a while but it is great for kids. this is a great movie.
Kid, 11 years old May 2, 2011

Appeal is a cut scene, featuring the birth of MewTwo, and his getting a crush on AmberTwo, then her death.

This is a Pokemon movie, so of course there's a bunch of product placement. This movie gives three good morals; Life is good, War is bad, and Clones and originals should be equal. But still, the main draw to get this movie is the scene cut from the dub for its first air: The Birth Of MewTwo, showing MewTwo in Dr.Fugi's lab, MewTwo befriending the clones, MewTwo Developing a small crush on AmberTwo, all the other clones dying, and Dr. Fuji's famous last words. However, it is of note that the "War is Bad" moral makes little to no sense within the context the context of the show and movie, which makes perfect sense, given that the original lesson was that all beings, clone, test-tube, genetically altered, natural, are all equal, and, furthermore, all beings within those groups are also equal amongst themselves, and other. So, basically, the true moral is this- Sexism, Racism, Childism, Homophobia, xenophobia, ect, are all horrible, and should not be practiced.
Teen, 17 years old Written bynecromantion February 19, 2011

Amazing movie 10 years and Amazing movie now

Loved this movie since i was little, Loved it 10 years later in life. Currently i'm 17 and i live in new York and i watched this movie when it released in Movies when i was 7. In my [Opinion] this movie had a stronger meaning/message towards kids rather than adults. For some adults to respond or quote "Excruciating to endure" is a very one sided answer. Even thought i currently understand that the dubbing from Japanese to English wasn't perfect the message was Set clear for children or kids that watched the series. Fighting won't solve anything. Great movie recommended to kids or Teens/adults that watched it during my generation. To add on The graphic on this movie was done really well considering what technology and media hardware/Software that was available.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNectaria February 10, 2010