All member reviews for Poltergeist

One of the all-time great haunted house movies.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 17, 2011

second to best horror movie ever, frst is insidious and paranormal activity

this movie touches on many things that are frightening to kids (and some adults), including scary shadows in the dark, monsters in the closet, and separation from family. A character rips the flesh from his face (though eventually we see he's hallucinating). A young boy is attacked by a ghost-inhabited tree. A girl is taken from her parents and held in a netherworld where she's menaced by a character it's intimated is evil. The parents are seen smoking marijuana, and are apparently regular users.
Kid, 12 years old March 7, 2010

Ok

People say this is "scary" but in my opinion, not at all. sure maybe for younger kids, but to tell u the truth, it really isnt. most special affects r cheesy, but i hav 2 say its an inbetween ok & pretty good movie.
Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2010

ok movie but brillent acting by Heather

This movie was ok but not really all that scary im not sure y common sense gave this 5 stars. But Heather o' Rorke definetly deserved 5 stars for her brilient acting. Heather is the girl on the cover she was born in 1975 and died in 1988 when she was 12 due to her intestintes exploding and being very sick. The movie was ok overall especailly for the time it was made in. And again great acting heather! We all miss u!
Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 December 15, 2009

good movie

I remember me and my cusins watched this movie and we all liked it alote
Kid, 8 years old April 19, 2015

AWESOME!!!!!! horror movie is a little scary but not horrifying

This movie is about a family that lives in a haunted house. One night a huge storm comes and a ghost sucks their daughter into a TV. The movie is all about getting their daughter back. This AWESOME!!!!!!!!! horror movie is flawless. Everything makes it awesome, the suspense, the action, and the excitement. If you like haunted house movies and other horror movies you will love Poltergeist. Even though this movie is PG, it should definitely be PG-13. There is a lot of horror/terror violence. Sometimes it can get a bit scary, there are several jump shocks, but not much blood. There is one gory scene where a man rips off skin from his face, and lots of blood shown, btw its also fake. Also this movie contains lots of things kids are scared of like. ghosts, dark shadows, monsters and more.This movie is really fun and exciting. I normally like scary movies, and this is the best movie I have ever seen. There is no positive messages or positive role models. Still its a amazing movie. This movie was a little iffy for kids my age, but I was not so so so scared. There is also a bit of swearing but not many strong words. My rating PG-13 for: intense sequences of horror/terror violence frightening content including bloody/gory images. This movie is once again amazing and flawless. GO SEE THIS MOVIE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byarchermatt98 November 16, 2009

A great movie!!!

This is a great movie. The only scary part is with the clown. I was 10 when I saw it, and was only scared for one night.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byYBNormal January 7, 2009
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

gross and boring

This movie is just dull. It lacks any good scares at all and is too predictable.
Adult Written bywonder dove July 5, 2013

I get chills every time I watch it!!!

Best horror movie ever created! This movie is insanely good! It's fun, scary and super entertaining...never a dull moment. The effects were done really well for the 80's and the whole atmosphere of the film is really dark and eerie, which really sets the mood for a good time! Characters are likable - the parents are very protective and loving to their children. When strange things start happening around the house, little Carol Ann can hear voices coming from the TV set whom she calls "the TV people". The mother soon learns that there is some paranormal activity going on and convinces her husband that something's not right. One stormy night, when their son is taken by a possessed tree outside his bedroom window, they scram to save him while little Carol Ann is left alone in her bed when evil forces try to "get" her. She ends up missing and the family soon discovers that the poltergeists have taken her. With the help of some experts, they must all try to figure out how to get her back in one piece. Lots and lots of action, scariness and it's even a little sad & heartwarming in a spiritual sense. Some say the film is cursed because the two kid actors (Carol Ann and her big sister) died in real life after the movie was made, and strange things happened to Stephen Spielberg while filming the movie! Violence is extreme for a PG (should be PG-13 now) with scary monstrous creatures, objects moving & flying violently, people including children being terrorized, a clown attack, tree attacks a child, man rips his face off, frightening hallucinations. Language is very mild. Sexual content has grown men flirting with a teenager by whistling at her and other brief comments. Drug use includes one scene, pot is rolled and smoked by the parents (not too graphic). Okay for 14+ viewers. Fun fact: Did you know the skeletons used in this movie are real? :O
Kid, 12 years old October 31, 2010

O.K. for tweens

not really violent, just scary, really scary, alright I'm a wimp
Parent Written bymyab October 27, 2010

More PG-13 Than PG, Scary For Most Young Teens, But Still Good Messages

I'd say this movie is more PG-13 than PG. There is true scary violence (done by unseen forces, not person to person), including scenes where braces wrap around a child's face, a tree tries to eat a child, and everyone involved is put in some sort of emanate physical danger. While the special effects were done in the 80's, and some scenes aren't as realistic as they would be today, they are still cringe and sometimes scream inducing. However, the good messages conveyed throughout the movie are solid holding points. The parents don't leave any of their children behind, and in fact go to great lengths to protect and rescue them. The children rely on their parents, and the family works as a cohesive unit to survive the situation they are in. Ultimately, I'd say most mature 13 yr olds can handle this movie, with parental guidance. Any younger is much too iffy.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc October 22, 2010

A Classic Mild 80s Horror Film

I'll confess that this movie scared me to death as a kid (I'm 30 years old if that helps). This movie didn't even phase my 6 and 9 year old. Having said that, some kids are more sensitive to scary images than others. The technology used to make this film is low by comparison of what we see today, so your kids will likely find this movie a little bit cheesy. There is ONE scene in the bedroom in which the parents are smoking dope and then quickly straighten up to attend to one of the kids who is scared of a thunderstorm. But unless your kids are wise to that, they won't even know what it is or really even notice it. As far as language goes, it's an 80s PG movie in which the language standards were different than what they are today. You'll hear s--- and a--- and a few others (no f-bombs are dropped). The parents demonstrate good parenting skills in not leaving anybody behind, sticking together as a family when faced with adversity, and their undying devotion to get their youngest daughter back. Is the movie violent? No. Are there some scenes that will scare some young children? Yes. Watch it first and then you decide.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byAZmamaof2 May 8, 2010

OK for older kids, but not for kids under 10

When we rented this movie we hadn't seen it in a long time. When we saw it was only rated PG we thought it would be OK for our 8 year old. Maybe she is too sensitive but she didn't handle it very well towards the end & we had to shut it off. Our 10 year old was OK with it but she is more of a scary movie buff than our 8 year old. What we didn't like: Parents smoking marijuana. Skeletons in the muddy pool when the father was looking for his child in the backyard. The soundtrack at times was a bit overpowering (I think this might have contributed to my youngest child's breaking point). The gory scene when a man rips the flesh from his face revealing chunks of gore (while he's hallucinating) What we liked: The parents are loving & they brought in experts to help them. The chair scooting across the kitchen floor. The father counting seconds between lighting flashes with his son during a storm at night. The mother found her daughter & brought her back.
Parent Written byPlague February 26, 2010

Poltergeist

A glorious horror. Mildly frightening.
Adult Written byPoefan October 14, 2009

Great horror film!

An awesome ghost movie that is very intense and contains one particularly gruesome scene.Do not be fooled by the PG rating, it's not for kids. Also, there is a scene of drug use. Unlike today's horror films, this movie does not rely on cheap scares to keep the audience interested, it is a genuinely scary movie. However, this movie is awesome and everyone should watch this great movie.
Kid, 11 years old March 28, 2015

A Classic Horror Movie Everyone Should Watch... Eventually.

This movie is one of the few scary movies I truly enjoyed.Though its scary,there are some positive messages of staying together as a family.Its a little too violent in some scenes.The scariest part in the movie for me was when the guy rips his skin and muscle of his face.Other than that, this is an exceptional scary movie!I HIGHLY recommend this classic 80's horror movie.
Kid, 12 years old January 25, 2015

15A

Contains intense bloody horror and strong psychological violence.
Written byAnonymous March 13, 2012

Good "starter" horror with a theme of family courage and loyalty

Moral: nothing is more important than family love and family loyalty. The family is realistic and imperfect, yet they fight fiercely to keep their family together. The parents are seen smoking pot, which may be considered an illicit drug by some families and no big deal by others. Tweens will definitely know what pot looks like so be prepared to talk about it. As a magic-using family, I appreciate how the heroes use positive paranormal skills to help resolve the conflict (as opposed to assuming that ALL spiritualism and paranormal skills are evil.) Good "beginner" scares, a happy ending - and no one dies! I find the lack of death VERY important, as we can talk about what each character learned and what they may do with their lives after the events are over. Parents can reassure kids that just like the parents in the movie, we will always courageously protect our children. My two girls (10 and 12) enjoyed it and wanted to watch it again the very next night. However I imagine that anyone over the age of 14 would probably find it old-fashioned. Scary movies are just so much more shocking and fast-paced nowadays.
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2011

Poltergeist 101

My mom said I couldn't watch this because of violence/creepy stuff. I am pretty much allowed to watch anything violent, but she put her foot down for this one, so it must have some pretty bad stuff in it!
Teen, 16 years old Written by*mustachio* October 9, 2011

great movie

the poltergeist is realllllyyyy good i saw it when i was 11 and it did not scare me but i don't get scared easily. some thing ppl should know is it doesnt have what kids might think is a "happy ending" in fact the ending is probably the scariest cuz theres all these zombies and dead bodies suddenly appear. the sad parts are how all the kids need help but the parents can only attend to one. both parents smoke. the clowns are super creepy. and yes if you have a little kid and you let them watch this theey will most likely have fears about "whats under their bed" and "in their closet". a man rips of the flesh from his face but everything is so 80's to kids raised in the 2000's probably they won't get scared too easily. but could it scare younger kids? yes. could it scare older kids? probably not.