All member reviews for Poltergeist

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 17, 2011

second to best horror movie ever, frst is insidious and paranormal activity

this movie touches on many things that are frightening to kids (and some adults), including scary shadows in the dark, monsters in the closet, and separation from family. A character rips the flesh from his face (though eventually we see he's hallucinating). A young boy is attacked by a ghost-inhabited tree. A girl is taken from her parents and held in a netherworld where she's menaced by a character it's intimated is evil. The parents are seen smoking marijuana, and are apparently regular users.
Kid, 12 years old March 7, 2010

Ok

People say this is "scary" but in my opinion, not at all. sure maybe for younger kids, but to tell u the truth, it really isnt. most special affects r cheesy, but i hav 2 say its an inbetween ok & pretty good movie.
Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2010

ok movie but brillent acting by Heather

This movie was ok but not really all that scary im not sure y common sense gave this 5 stars. But Heather o' Rorke definetly deserved 5 stars for her brilient acting. Heather is the girl on the cover she was born in 1975 and died in 1988 when she was 12 due to her intestintes exploding and being very sick. The movie was ok overall especailly for the time it was made in. And again great acting heather! We all miss u!
Kid, 8 years old April 19, 2015

Great, exciting horror flick is fun for teens violent and scary for kids.

My rating:PG-13 for violence throughout,terror,racy material,and language.
Teen, 16 years old Written byarchermatt98 November 16, 2009

A great movie!!!

This is a great movie. The only scary part is with the clown. I was 10 when I saw it, and was only scared for one night.
Kid, 12 years old October 31, 2010

O.K. for tweens

not really violent, just scary, really scary, alright I'm a wimp
Kid, 11 years old July 21, 2015

A tiny bit scary for young kids... Maybe BUT A MUST SEE FOR TWEENS

If your kid always thinks there's a monster under there bed at night then don't let them watch this. If they are a mature 9-10 year old they should be fine. If you a tween this is a must see! This is one of the most classic horror films out there. The only scary part is when karolane goes toward the TV. This movie is also appropriate for younger children there's one part where the adults are drinking wine/beer and the husband gets a little drunk but no adult content the only thing that happens is the father jumps of the bed thinking he's superman or he's like a super tuff guy. There's a part where a man starts ripping the flesh off his face that may be a bit scary for a younger child
Kid, 11 years old March 28, 2015

A Classic Horror Movie Everyone Should Watch... Eventually.

This movie is one of the few scary movies I truly enjoyed.Though its scary,there are some positive messages of staying together as a family.Its a little too violent in some scenes.The scariest part in the movie for me was when the guy rips his skin and muscle of his face.Other than that, this is an exceptional scary movie!I HIGHLY recommend this classic 80's horror movie.
Kid, 12 years old January 25, 2015

15A

Contains intense bloody horror and strong psychological violence.
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2011

Poltergeist 101

My mom said I couldn't watch this because of violence/creepy stuff. I am pretty much allowed to watch anything violent, but she put her foot down for this one, so it must have some pretty bad stuff in it!
Teen, 16 years old Written by*mustachio* October 9, 2011

great movie

the poltergeist is realllllyyyy good i saw it when i was 11 and it did not scare me but i don't get scared easily. some thing ppl should know is it doesnt have what kids might think is a "happy ending" in fact the ending is probably the scariest cuz theres all these zombies and dead bodies suddenly appear. the sad parts are how all the kids need help but the parents can only attend to one. both parents smoke. the clowns are super creepy. and yes if you have a little kid and you let them watch this theey will most likely have fears about "whats under their bed" and "in their closet". a man rips of the flesh from his face but everything is so 80's to kids raised in the 2000's probably they won't get scared too easily. but could it scare younger kids? yes. could it scare older kids? probably not.
Kid, 12 years old June 27, 2011

teens

its for kids but i think its best put out for teens
Teen, 13 years old Written byMOVIE13 August 23, 2010

COMEDY V.S HORROR

this movie isnt scary or good..... it's a joke a comedy mostly and a pritty bad one at that!!! Like in one of the last the girls standing outside the car screaming what happeing?1 and everyone else is just saying just get in the car! but she just kept screaming whats happening?! That made me laugh really hard and as i was laughing i was thinking why dont you just shut up and get in the car. Also in another scene and woman screams and goes flying up in the air revealing her undewear! and that scene was supposed to be scary? give me a break. This makes a pritty bad comedy and a horrible horror movie...
Kid, 11 years old June 27, 2015

Cheesy, but great for it's time. Mild scares, offers a old fright for younger horror seekers.

This movie's scariness is very overrated. Parents say it was way to scary for their kids, but truthfully, in this day and age, not really much of a big deal. The raciest part is implied marijauna use that will go over most kid's heads. A s--t and damn and similar curse words. Creepy poltergeists haunt the family and holds a little girl captive. Meanwhile, a boy is attacked by a tree and a clown, a couple hires ghost specialists to shut the ghost world down and a father figures out the terrifying reality of why they were getting haunted. Recommended for ages 12+.
Kid, 10 years old June 20, 2015

Classic horror movie is perfect for kids that like getting scared

This movie is one of the best scary movies. It's scary for most kids there's ghosts that trick people and an evil clown doll that later strangles a kid there's also some swearing like the s word and h word also be prepared for the gory face ripping scene
Teen, 14 years old Written byDuckCommander13 June 16, 2015

Excellent 80's Movie

Poltergeist is an excellent movie for older kids to transition into horror films like The Conjuring. There is a bit of mild language including 7 uses of s***, 4 uses of d***, 1 use of a**, 3 uses of son of a b****, 1 use of b******, 4 uses of h***, and 1 middle finger. The parents are seen smoking weed but it's not encouraged , there is also some beer drinking, but again is not encouraged. There is no sex in this movie. The violence is a little bit gory when a man imagines himself ripping of his face and blood is shone. A clown doll attacks Robbie and a tree tries to swallow him during a tornado. There are no deaths in the movie. Pizza Hut is mentioned. This film was made in 1982, 3 years before the PG-13 rating came out, and this was rated PG, nowadays it would be rated PG-13, but is still fine for kids ages 10 and up
Teen, 15 years old Written bytheajohansen May 26, 2015

good!

i think it is a good choice for 9 year olds. its not any blood or gore but it can be a little scary for young childeren.
Kid, 12 years old March 21, 2015

Creepy movie, one minor startling scene, no real scream scenes

Kid, 11 years old February 19, 2015

Entertaining Mild Horror Film

I enjoyed this film. And yes, I love Steven Speilberg's work. BUT PARENTS must note that there is near- constant peril and horror. This mvoie is filled with intense moments and scary sequences. I must say though they weren't as scary as other horror films, but is sure to leave a chill down a young child (10 and under)'s back. I do think this a classic film with great fx for it's time. In my country (Australia) this film is rated M. In other countries I'm pretty sure its' PG. I understand why that is. It isn't too scary but will frighten very young children. In my country it's M for Moderate Horror Themes. I would have given it an M or (PG-13) as most PG (horror films) don't reach this benchmark (ripping of faces, scary clowns). Here's mine: M: Horror themes and peril? But yes, this was a great film. If you haven't seen it yet, go see it. you won't regret it. :)
Kid, 10 years old January 10, 2015

It is fine for your child

I watched this when I was seven. A bit druggy, but that is all