All member reviews for Poltergeist

One of the all-time great haunted house movies.

Parent Written bywrgtyp September 25, 2011

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrate movie

It's realy not that bad and thats from someone who once a year get scared out of his mind by halloween magizens. the scene where a guy rippes off his face is scary while it happening but the guys seeing things. the "scary tree" that trys to eat a kid dies after 1 minute so who cares. but the movie does play off of the fear of clowns because there is a clown doll in the backround acting all not alive and stuff whith its big gross teeth untill it trys to kill the boy under his bed. this is the funnyest scene in the hole movie because the boy then screems "i hate you" and rippes out the things stuffing. theres one middle finger and lots of dead bobys being thrown out of the ground. a guy says son of a b*tch so much it gets boring. but overall it rocks.
Kid, 12 years old June 27, 2011

teens

its for kids but i think its best put out for teens
Parent Written byPlague February 26, 2010

Poltergeist

A glorious horror. Mildly frightening.
Kid, 11 years old July 21, 2015

A tiny bit scary for young kids... Maybe BUT A MUST SEE FOR TWEENS

If your kid always thinks there's a monster under there bed at night then don't let them watch this. If they are a mature 9-10 year old they should be fine. If you a tween this is a must see! This is one of the most classic horror films out there. The only scary part is when karolane goes toward the TV. This movie is also appropriate for younger children there's one part where the adults are drinking wine/beer and the husband gets a little drunk but no adult content the only thing that happens is the father jumps of the bed thinking he's superman or he's like a super tuff guy. There's a part where a man starts ripping the flesh off his face that may be a bit scary for a younger child
Kid, 11 years old March 28, 2015

A Classic Horror Movie Everyone Should Watch... Eventually.

This movie is one of the few scary movies I truly enjoyed.Though its scary,there are some positive messages of staying together as a family.Its a little too violent in some scenes.The scariest part in the movie for me was when the guy rips his skin and muscle of his face.Other than that, this is an exceptional scary movie!I HIGHLY recommend this classic 80's horror movie.
Kid, 12 years old March 21, 2015

Creepy movie, one minor startling scene, no real scream scenes

Educator Written bySkyrush March 1, 2015

Good old-fashioned horror movie

To me, the best horror movies make you use your imagination......and Steven Spielberg continues his fine use of special effects begun in films like "Close Encounters" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark". The monsters shown at the end of the film are not super scary for today's kids. The reason for the haunting of the Freeling's home is revealed about halfway through the film. Many of the effects were reminiscent of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" - if your kids liked that movie, they would be fine with this one. A good "first scary movie" without a lot of gore. Viewers will develop a real empathy with the Freeling family and will be rooting for them throughout the movie.
Parent Written bytreat02 March 7, 2012

ok

This does have a lot of bad language. There are some inappropriate hand gestures (middle finger) and i don't think that this is very scary, not as much of a worry. It does have mild scares. There is one part where a man face is coming off but it's just an illusion. There is also a part where there are skeletons. No scary ghost's are seen it's just the "poltergeists". The only part that is mildly scary for younger audiences is when the closet opens up and there is a mouth type thing, and a skull dog or something.
Teen, 16 years old Written by*mustachio* October 9, 2011

great movie

the poltergeist is realllllyyyy good i saw it when i was 11 and it did not scare me but i don't get scared easily. some thing ppl should know is it doesnt have what kids might think is a "happy ending" in fact the ending is probably the scariest cuz theres all these zombies and dead bodies suddenly appear. the sad parts are how all the kids need help but the parents can only attend to one. both parents smoke. the clowns are super creepy. and yes if you have a little kid and you let them watch this theey will most likely have fears about "whats under their bed" and "in their closet". a man rips of the flesh from his face but everything is so 80's to kids raised in the 2000's probably they won't get scared too easily. but could it scare younger kids? yes. could it scare older kids? probably not.
Parent of a 3, 6, 11, and 13 year old Written byKristinThorneEllis October 29, 2010
I saw this when I was around 14-15 and it scared me just enough. I think if I were younger it would have kept me up at nights for weeks. I do not think my kids need to see the teen aged sister flipping off a bunch of construction worker who were cat calling her. She is a young teen and they are MEN. I also don't like the "smoking"
Kid, 9 years old June 30, 2016

A little scary

It's bizarre that this movie is PG!A guy rips off his face and there is a really creepy clown. I heard It was gonna be R but Steven Spielberg talked the MPAA to PG. GREAT AND SCARY MOVIE!
Teen, 13 years old Written bykad1121 April 17, 2016

Great and Cursed

This movie is extremely cursed but also a really good movie. In fact, during the filming of the third Poltergeist movie (not this one), the little blonde girl died from a misdiagnosed intestinal disease in real life and she was only 12. so they had to use a stand-in to complete the last scene of poltergeist iii. this movie series is cursed but it is also a really good movie. Also, other people that have been in the three Poltergeist movies have died; one was murdered by her husband, one had a failed surgery, one was murdered with an axe, etc.
Parent Written bymikemannn April 3, 2016
scary and awesome
Teen, 14 years old Written byI'm a teen. March 16, 2016

I actually enjoyed it!

This movie is very entertaining! Yes. Some of the special,effects are cheesy, but I will recommend it to the older ones. ;)
Kid, 11 years old February 20, 2016

Great movie. I love watching this every once in a while.

I first watched it when I was 9 years old and I loved it. It's creepy, suspenseful, and great to watch at sleepovers. Little kids would get pretty creeped out, though. (Remember, it's only a movie.)
Kid, 10 years old January 30, 2016

Fantastic

Poltergeist will give you nightmares forever and never by toys agian
Teen, 14 years old Written byAnastasiaz January 30, 2016
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byunicornb January 27, 2016

Frightening-But Great Respected Horror

Poltergeist is an amazingly well done horror movie that will make even some young teens spooked. The interesting premise takes on a role of a family who moves into a new home. The catch is that its built on an ancient burial ground. Bad news. The littlest one, Carol Ann, is sucked into the closet and into the ghost dimension if you will. This movie is a little too scary for the younger ones, but tweens who are ready-go for it. This movie is a little less violent than the ones I've seen, but still includes people frequently in peril. Overall, great horror and well done. I would recommend this one!
Teen, 15 years old Written bycola January 9, 2016
This is a great frightening haunted house movie.It is a great first horror movie because it is not truly scary its only frightening. But there is one creepy part where a guy tears his face off but he is hallucinating.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTARDIS Tourist December 28, 2015

THEY'RE HERE!

The first horror movie I saw was not as scary as I expected. The scariness depends on what personality you have. I was sitting still watching the movie while other people were wetting their pants in fright.