Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin

Cute Winnie the Pooh adventure for little ones.

Adult Written bymarkish August 5, 2015

Thought provoking

I read quite a few reviews before finally watching this with my almost 3 year old. I admit it was borderline as to whether I was going to watch it or not. In the end I'm glad we did. To some of the points previously made, about it being scary. It is talking about a very valid fear that every child has, that of separation. It introduces the fear from the perspective of the animals, and shows that the way you see the world can change based on whether you are scared or not (well, any emotion can do that). From that angle I think this is a great film to spark a deep conversation with your pre-schooler. My son is pretty emotionally mature, and asked some fairly good questions like "Why did Christopher Robin leave a note, and not just tell Pooh?", "Will Pooh be scared when Christopher Robin goes to school tomorrow?", which was a good way for me to segue into a great conversation. The fact that the return journey showed the animals just how different the landscape could look when you are scared was a fantastic opportunity to explain how it can feel to be scared. Things look bigger and more menacing, things that normally aren't scary can suddenly take on a life of their own. I'm sure every pre-schooler can relate to this, and it presents fear in a easily digestible form. Bottom line, when/if you chose to watch this, sit down and engage with your little one when you do (actually, this is generally good advice, the TV is *not* a babysitter!). Be there to explain some of the scarier bits if they need reassurance. Keep pointing out that Christopher Robin is not lost, just at school, and that the fact that the animals misread the honey-covered note is critical (actually another really good message). Stay calm, don't freak out yourself, steer them away from the perception of danger, "Do you really think that noise is a Skullosaurus? Sounds more like a rumbly tumbly to me !". If you are worried about being caught unawares, watch it by yourself first to prep for the inevitable questions :)

Adult Written bynduns November 29, 2012

I'm just gonna say it: this is my second-favorite Pooh movie of all time

With the new one and the original Walt Disney short collab tied for first, this one has always been my second-favorite. I understand why people slam this one: yes, this is the only Pooh movie that is intentionally trying to scare children. That is an understandable thing to complain about when you consider just how innocent the rest of the series is. Strangely enough, though, that's why I love this one so much. It's like Disney knew some teens/adults were unfairly labeling a series with so much universal appeal as kiddy and decided to give it a little bit of an edge without trying too hard like Rare did with Conker's Bad Fur Day. (Not to say I didn't enjoy that game, but looking back, some of their decisions did seem rather desperate) As far as dark imagery goes, though, it's not the worst you can show your kids. It's still pretty tame and, hey, at least the Skullosaurus isn't revealed to be a real thing. (Though the Backson was... maybe it does exist elsewhere) The animations are really good for a direct-to-video release and the songs are honestly the best I have ever heard from a Pooh film. There are also great lessons, as is expected from Pooh, and their delivered very strongly. My only real complaint that prevents this from being perfect in my eyes is that admittedly, the idea behind this does seem out of place, oh, and the ending always angers me... I know Pooh is the kind of series to pull this stuff, but seriously, that was just a HUGE cop-out!

Educational Value
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written byluckyl8dybug February 11, 2011

BEWARE this is SCARY

My son is 2.5 years old. Before viewing I checked this site's review and info. The only warning given was that there is one scene that is a big shadow and it becomes Christopher Robin. This is an under statement. There are MANY scenes with skulls and shadows/trees/mountains that have scary faces. I am disappointed that there was not more in the review about it. So just be warned. It is far scarier for the little ones than this site claims.

Parent of a 1, 6, and 12 year old Written byWall-e GO-4 M-O... April 11, 2019

Really hits you in the second half!

Great for a child 2.5.

Parent Written bydmgaz January 13, 2019

Definitely Scary

My three kids, 4, 5 & 8 all thought it was scary. The entire premise is scary. As another reviewer mentioned, if your child has been desensitized to movie violence this movie will be fine for them. My kids still get very anxious at movies with tense scenes or any violence, so this is a definite NO for us.

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byJay_2012 December 16, 2018

Doom and gloom

Not very upbeat or uplifting. The characters spend the majority of the movie on a dreary and at times scary search for Christopher Robin. I wouldn’t choose this one as my child’s first introduction to the characters. My kids, ages 5 and 3, found it sad and a little scary.
Adult Written bykmzsmith November 11, 2018

We liked it, but it's the ONLY movie that induced tears for my kid

My nearly 3 year old is sensitive and a big thinker. He's really been enjoying reading winnie the pooh stories lately so we decided on this for family movie day. To understand, the baseline, he's seen Moana, Coco, Frozen, Cars, Toy Story, Cars 3, Happy Feet, and Wall-E. Several of the movies he's seen have scary parts (e.g. Frozen, Coco, Moana, Toy Story) and he's talked about something being scary a bit, but has never had an emotional reaction. There's a scene where all the animals take a big fall and my son burst into tears crying and saying that they won't find Christopher Robin. It wasn't the fall (there's a big fall in frozen), but the context that seemed to frighten him. We stopped the movie, talked about it, watched the scene again and ended up fast forwarding a bit so he could see that they will find Christopher Robin. He ultimately seemed to enjoy it (pretended to be the characters later), but we had no idea it would be so scary for him. Ultimately, I would argue that the content is perhaps scariest of all the movies he's seen because the fears are most closely aligned to his own (missing his parents when we're gone, wanting to know we'll come back). I don't think this means it isn't appropriate for young kids, not watch it with them and maybe reveal the whole plot and ending so they can see it in a different light. It is easier to work through the feelings when there's less uncertainty.

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bybgeller September 15, 2018

A joy for the whole family

I've never seen my children laugh, or laugh myself so much in a kids movie. A lot of goofy fun and laughter is shared between the characters. They get lost in some scary places like the deep dark woods, but in the end, the scary monster turns out to be not so scary. It's a different kind of Winnie the Pooh story, and it felt fresh.

Adult Written byViannaR January 5, 2018

Horribly Intense and Frightening

Read the many other reviews about how much peril and fright is in this film. I can't state strongly enough how this is a truly an awful movie for children! I recommend you stay away.
Parent Written byPastelHooves October 17, 2017

Pooh Bear I know he's out there! It's me and its you! Silly ol' Winnie the Pooh!

Good cute movie BUT there's one part in the movie that always scared me half to death as a child. The part where the "skull" is revealed to the gang and the scary music comes on as they gasp in fright. Still gives me goosebumps.

Parent Written byMother Christina January 20, 2015

Scary!!

I chose this movie as my 3 year old son's first real movie because it was on this websites list of good first movies to show someone his age. I was extremely shocked to see how scary it is. The review lists one scary part, but half of the movie is in a scary looking forest and caves and is based on fear. My son was completely scared and was crying and shaking by the time I turned it off. Definitely not a good first movie or one for a sensitive 3 year old.

Parent Written byCecilia927 April 7, 2009
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMr. Boxbox April 9, 2008

the best poohbear film ever

poohs grand adventure is much darker than any other pooh film and contains many scary images and a dark and somewhat depressing theme. i first watched this when i was 3 and loved it even though it was scary (or because it was scary). it was my fav film until i turned 7 or 8. it is a wonderful film but should be PG for its dark theme and scary images and moments. 5/5
Adult Written by2kiddos April 9, 2008

May be scary

This is the ONLY Pooh movie that my kids have banished to the garage. My daughter, who first watched it when she is 4 (now 6) still does not want to see it and warns her now 4 y.o. brother against it. There is a spooky tree and worries of being lost and alone. Be careful for sensitive children.
Adult Written byoliviap April 9, 2008

Cute

I love Winnie the Pooh and loving sitting with my children toshare the adventures of Winnie & his friends.
Adult Written bysubiemama April 9, 2008

too scary

my four-year-old is a bit sensitive, but my friend's five-year-old thought this was too scary as well. I kept having to say, "everything will end up ok".