All member reviews for Popeye

Teen, 13 years old Written byrobinrunner March 29, 2011

Enjoyable and a true classic that more people should take time to view.

Robin Williams rocked the role of popeye. It's hard to believe that this guy is also Mrs. Dobtfire and the voice of the Genie in Aladdin. I wouldn't show it to kids less than the age of five because the movie can get a little creepy for no reason when watching this.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written byW V Hutch September 16, 2010

Ya gotta' have some age on yo to really appreciate it.

It took inginuty & pure talent to bring this movie to life.Those who don't like it never liked Popeye. One of Robin Williams finest.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byiret July 7, 2010

We weren't expecting a musical...

We weren't expecting a musical; the movie opens with a song! Overall, it was a cute, goofy movie that my boys enjoyed (once the shock of it being a musical wore off). FYI ~ The "few instances of mild cursing" referenced in the Common Sense rating includes about 5 minutes of Poopdeck Pappy ranting "haul-ass, haul-ass" during a boat pursuit. If you have a kiddo who likes to repeat movie lines, I suggest previewing the boat chase scene.
Kid, 10 years old September 19, 2010

pretty good movie robin williams is the best
Parent Written byboodles385 August 15, 2013

Demeaning of women

He also calls olive oil a "dumb broad" through out movie. Enforces demeaning of women.
Adult Written byLowe's man September 22, 2014

Enjoyable for everyone, but especially for true Popeye fans.

Although the movie isn't as good as the cartoon (and to expect that it would be would've been outlandish), it's up there. Paramount and Disney captured the flavor of the characters. While Robin Williams doesn't look like Popeye, the way he plays the part more than makes up for it. The other characters both look and act the way they do in the cartoon. The songs and the scenery are very good too. An added plus for true Popeye fans is that we get to meet Olive's relatives, which do appear in comic strips but not in the tv or theatrical cartoons. The only major difference between the cartoon and this movie is that Popeye hated spinach until Bluto shoved it in his throat. (In the cartoons Popeye liked spinach since he was a little kid.) But at that pivotal moment at the end, he immediately learned to like spinach. Popeye defeated the tax man, and for good reason; he taxed people for silly reasons. (He was probably greedy.) Once he'd been in Sweethaven for a couple days, he learned that his long-lost father (Pappy) is the Commodore for whom Bluto works (whom Popeye eventually finds). Popeye's arrival shows Olive how mean Bluto is. Olive then falls in love with Popeye. At the tail end of the movie The Great Depression is mentioned. Without those lines we'd get the idea that the setting is in the 19th or early 20th century. After all, no one has a car, a telephone, radio or tv. A classic must-see.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotally500 March 16, 2012

popeye is fine

it was a fine movie yeah its goofy but its fine for all ages
Kid, 10 years old November 28, 2011