All member reviews for Porco Rosso

Lesser known Miyazaki with heavy themes, cartoon violence.

Kid, 11 years old April 1, 2012

good movie

i luv it! great fight scene, nobody knows what happens to the hero and one of the main female people
Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette November 26, 2011

HECK YAH! GOOD FIGHT SCENE!

Teen, 16 years old Written byTayoEXE May 14, 2012

One of Miyazaki's Finest Masterpieces

I have to really disagree with what these "details" are saying about this film. It is terrific and thought provoking in so many ways, but many of its deep and meaningful themes apparently go over the head of the average critic. Right now I'll get my problems with this site out of the way first. Most of the "positive role models" only appear to be the thoughts of feminists. First, Porco is NOT a cynical womanizer. I don't even know where you would get that idea. It is clearly said and shown that Curtis is more of a womanizer, "falling in love with every girl [he] sees." Fio is not setting out to show a woman can be a hero, but that SHE can be a hero. I won't get into what I think of feminists, but while Fio is a skilled plane architect and really motivates him to do good, Porco is not getting enough attention. Porco is a good role model because the movie portrays his character development to regaining his lost hope in humanity. Porco begins as a bit of a selfish bounty hunter, yet he still genuinely cares about his childhood friend, Gina. To many, it is unclear why Porco, originally known as Marco, became a pig. The movie does an interesting job in a scene in which he tells the story of his final dogfight in World War I. At first, Marco was always shown as an amazing pilot and did not think much about the mortality of war, but as he saw both his comrades, friend, and even the enemy fall, he became disillusioned and lost faith in humanity. He himself said "I'm a pig." He became a pig because he gave up his humanity. Now, throughout the film, it is the goodness of Fio (not the "heroic" efforts) that really show her importance, as it is what allows Porco to finally fight for someone other than himself again. She basically shows that hope is not all lost for humanity, and it is implied in the end that Porco had changed back as Curtis wanted to see his face. Next, violence is really not violent. There is really no blood, even in a fist fight. The rest shows dogfights and grenades, but no one really ever gets hurt except in Porco's flashback to the fall of his comrades, which only shows the planes falling. As this takes place in Italy during Post-WWI times, expect drinking and smoking to be shown. There is no profanity and hardly any offensive language. Maybe "stupid" if you don't like that. There is a mention of "God" and a blessing given, but is used in the proper sense and context. Those who have anything to say against this film about its themes and characters don't understand it. This movie is about finding hope in the world, that there are good people despite the tragedies it undergoes with the horrible nature of war. I would highly recommend parents to try and explain these meanings and themes to their children, especially tweens who may be losing sight of the good in the world. Personally, this is one of my favorite Miyazaki films and films in general. If you have not seen any of Hayao Miyazaki's films, I highly recommend you see the rest of his masterpieces. He accompanies wonderful storytelling with his amazing hand-drawn traditional animation and amazing music composed by Joe Hisaishi. I cannot recommend this movie any higher than I already do.