All member reviews for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

Powerful, painful account of Harlem teen's hard-luck life.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySilverSnake July 11, 2010

Real good, but extremely sad

I'm actually watching it right now, my mom and aunt are too, so I got 'adult supervision' its real good but real depression. I mean how nasty her gross daddy did something bad to her and gave her children! Her mom makes me real mad too. They talk about condums once, the parents and people 'roiund her are abusive, but she's in a class and the teachers are nice to her, it has good messages dispite it all. I'd say 15 and up, but I'm 14 and sinse I'm watching it, I'll just say 14 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byxxhollisterluvxx March 30, 2010

Mature audiences only

Really mature movie. Strong language and violence are things to look out for. The movie was a little much for me.I'm 13. There's. A scene that shows her father molesting her. Only should be viewed by mature audiences.
Parent of a 9 and 15 year old Written bypsalministry1 March 30, 2010

Older kids should see with parents, in case of questions.

The movie depicts what happens in hundreds of homes today. Some may be able to identify with stereotypes and just raw dealings with abuse and trauma to the human spirit. I love it for bringing these points out, but would use caution when allowing sheltered teens see this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper52 April 16, 2011

kooool

really good movie <33333 loveddddd ittttttt i cried for her dreams <3 she's awesome
Teen, 15 years old Written byredneckchick101 January 30, 2012

lots of cussing, sad, sexual things,but a great movie and book

i thought the movie and book was great but a little sad at some certain parts but i love it this is a great book to read because its not boring at all.
Teen, 16 years old Written byteenagerreviewer March 3, 2011

um...come on grownups! whats ur problem????? :)

Love it. My favorite movie when i was 12. im 13 now. (im not 16, i didn't mean to click that) guess what? adults don't think kids can handle and understand things that they can. i understood everything, wasn't highly disturbed, or shocked at anything. it was a story 8/10 12 year olds would understand, love, and appreciate. Grownups need to chill, because they don't know what goes through kids minds, kids do. So adults, you shuld read these reviews yourselves, because a 12 year old isn't a baby who knows nothing. i thought it was great, NOT VERY SEXUAL, and beautiful. Gaborey deserved that oscar :)
Parent of a 2 year old Written bymzpooh May 3, 2010
i love this movie because it tel girl that is going throu wat she went throu 2 dnt gve up keep going ang no matter wat people say keep going
Adult Written byMOMMA WITH A GR... November 18, 2009

Perfect for mature teens 15+ but NOT for the average immature teenager.

Parents need to know that this powerful indie drama based on the novel Push by Sapphire is a harsh, raw depiction of a Harlem teen’s brutal life that may be too intense for many viewers, even older teens. The main character is abused in every way imaginable (emotionally, physically, sexually) by those who ought to have her best interests at heart (including her parents) -- and yet she persists, rising above her circumstances. The language is coarse throughout the movie, there are many scenes of household violence (slapping, kicking, pushing, etc.), and sexual abuse abounds (a man is shown unbuckling his belt before he rapes his daughter). Still, it’s ultimately a compelling, thought-provoking film that will stick with those mature enough to handle it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMeriam33 September 2, 2013

Push the book

Now I'm only eleven and i read the book. And if the movie is anything like what the book is its very descriptive! My teacher let me read this book because she said that I was responsible enough. But I loved the book! It had a great message to it and even though i was probably to young to read it I still understood what the message was and what was going on. I still wouldn't let any kids under 12 to read this.
Kid, 12 years old November 18, 2012

POWERFUL.

It moved me sooo much.
Kid, 12 years old December 28, 2011

Life is … Precious.

Extremely mature film. Precious' mom smokes in nearly every shot that she's in. Abuse (Sexually, Physically, and Mentally). The movie is about a teenage girl who's been impregnated by her father twice, whom then does all she can to turn her life around – while being brought down by her mother.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBONES&BOOTH4EVER September 24, 2011

Sad and intense, something teens should see

This movie was very powerful yet depressing to see how much Precious struggled. Her brutal parents beat and raped her, and there's a lot of bad language. It's something that teens should see to see how lucky they really are, and to see what some people have suffered. It's very heartbreaking and made me cry. Definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymissbuenrostro April 4, 2011
i cried
Teen, 13 years old Written byReba9497 March 6, 2011

Must watch!

I saw this movie (Im 13, I was 12 at the time) and I think it's a great movie. It has very raw scenes of abuse, but I think it shouldn't be 17+. It really depends on the how mature u are, but it does teach a great life lesson.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 May 30, 2010

Powerful drama, NO CHILDREN AT ALL

Lee Daniel's creative and brilliant creation that is "Precious" is a masterwork of influential acting and talented script-writing. Mo'Nique, saying some of the most foul language imaginable truly deserved every accolade she got in her truly frightning role as Mary Jones, and Sidibe's debut performance will be a true high point in her career. It took alot for me to get through this film, but only true good cinema can impact you like that. "Precious" deserved its Best Picture/Best Drama nomination.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byizzymommy May 13, 2010

ONLY FOR ADULTS!

This movie was WAY too intense for anyone under 18! I'm 29 and it was difficult for me to watch this movie. I must say though, that it was all content-related, because I could just not stop watching it! There are some huge positives of watching this movie, as it can open a window to talking about abuse, molestation, rape, drugs, teen pregnancy and the importance of staying in school. However, this movie is just SO graphic, intense, explicit and filled with mature subject matter that I couldn't recommend anyone under 18 to see it. I think that PARENTS would benefit the most out of watching it if only to use it as a stepping stone to talk to children about these heavy topics.
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2010

People who like drama movies and enjoy movies where people get opportunities.

Very sad and depressing. The mother constantly abuses and beats her whether something happened or not. Precious gets raped and impregnated by her father multiple times and watching this can be disturbing. Tons of profanity from the n-word to the f-word. The mother is a negative role model and so is the father, who you barely get to see in this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshiznit April 24, 2010
Claireece precious Jones (Gabouree sidibee)may not be one of the best 'role models' but she is a strong character on how any persons can survive.etc AIDS,being abused, . . .
Teen, 13 years old Written bydr duck March 13, 2010

Strong, powerful, moving film for older teens

This film is a mature, hard, well illustrated story of a girls dream. Some intense senses.
Adult Written byfdaa March 12, 2010

Life is not always pretty

Precious deals with some very serious issues in are lifes, whether people want to believe they happen or not. For many it is to much to believe, for other it is the freeing of the soul and most times hidden secrets that many have never been told, to see you are not alone in what happen to you. The story gives a powerful message , that whatever you been thru you can work to overcome it and you can succeed.