All parent member reviews for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

Parent of a 9 and 15 year old Written bypsalministry1 March 30, 2010

Older kids should see with parents, in case of questions.

The movie depicts what happens in hundreds of homes today. Some may be able to identify with stereotypes and just raw dealings with abuse and trauma to the human spirit. I love it for bringing these points out, but would use caution when allowing sheltered teens see this movie.
Adult Written byMOMMA WITH A GR... November 18, 2009

Perfect for mature teens 15+ but NOT for the average immature teenager.

Parents need to know that this powerful indie drama based on the novel Push by Sapphire is a harsh, raw depiction of a Harlem teen’s brutal life that may be too intense for many viewers, even older teens. The main character is abused in every way imaginable (emotionally, physically, sexually) by those who ought to have her best interests at heart (including her parents) -- and yet she persists, rising above her circumstances. The language is coarse throughout the movie, there are many scenes of household violence (slapping, kicking, pushing, etc.), and sexual abuse abounds (a man is shown unbuckling his belt before he rapes his daughter). Still, it’s ultimately a compelling, thought-provoking film that will stick with those mature enough to handle it.
Adult Written byfdaa March 12, 2010

Life is not always pretty

Precious deals with some very serious issues in are lifes, whether people want to believe they happen or not. For many it is to much to believe, for other it is the freeing of the soul and most times hidden secrets that many have never been told, to see you are not alone in what happen to you. The story gives a powerful message , that whatever you been thru you can work to overcome it and you can succeed.
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bydavid.wallace June 4, 2011

Not a Happy Movie-Tread Slowly.

Precious is an obese, impoverished, illiterate, teenager pregnant for the second time with one of her father's babies. Her mother is extremely abusive, unsupportive, and unstable. So why do I think some 14 year olds can watch it? Because it offers a window into the poorest part of society. People who don't only lack money but also knowledge, nutrition, and support. There are a few good roll models- Precious' classmates, teacher (one of the first supporters in Precious' life), and the social worker (who appears to care about Precious situation). The movie does not have a happy ending. Each kid is different. For some this movie will be inspirational, for some it will be depressing- use your judgement after watching the trailer.
Adult Written bylovingwifeandmom July 25, 2010

MATURE ADULTS ONLY

Although this movie has the theme of overcoming difficult situations, this movie is extremely graphic with very offensive language. I think the "R" rating for this movie is "iffy". This movie contains some EXTREMELY disturbing messages, scenes, and images.
Adult Written byyoyolili June 5, 2010

I think that this movie has to be seen by kids that are mature enough so they can understand the content of this movie
Parent of a 3 year old Written byizzymommy May 13, 2010

ONLY FOR ADULTS!

This movie was WAY too intense for anyone under 18! I'm 29 and it was difficult for me to watch this movie. I must say though, that it was all content-related, because I could just not stop watching it! There are some huge positives of watching this movie, as it can open a window to talking about abuse, molestation, rape, drugs, teen pregnancy and the importance of staying in school. However, this movie is just SO graphic, intense, explicit and filled with mature subject matter that I couldn't recommend anyone under 18 to see it. I think that PARENTS would benefit the most out of watching it if only to use it as a stepping stone to talk to children about these heavy topics.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bymzpooh May 3, 2010

i love this movie because it tel girl that is going throu wat she went throu 2 dnt gve up keep going ang no matter wat people say keep going
Adult Written bybrooklynedrouant April 26, 2010

i thought the movie was good. not really role model material
Adult Written bybr350 April 21, 2010

Inappropriate for most age groups

This movie is entirely inappropriate for any child under 17. Why any parent would let a child under that age watch this movie is beyond me. It has extremely complex adult/family/sexual issues that even I, as a 42 year old adult, have a hard time wrapping my mind around. Any parent who lets their child (under 17) see this movie needs to do a MAJOR self check about their own intentions.
Adult Written bybaby starlite March 19, 2010

i think it sends a good message to tell kids they can be independent and do not have to take physical or sexual abuse by parents or adult figures
Parent of a 7, 12, 13, 15, and 18 year old Written bychrisduarte March 17, 2010

A Decade Running, Too Relevant A Novel

Penicillin to the disease known as social apathy, or "It hasn't happened to me . . ., yet.," in America. In your face "real." No egg-walking aroung day to day real world issues for too many Americans, legal, illegal, or ignored.
Adult Written byBree15 March 5, 2010

A great Movie

The overall review says that the movie contains bad role models, but i don't consider Precious' parents role models. I think Ms. Rain is a good example of a role model, and an excellent one at that. This movie should be okay for mature teenagers.
Adult Written byihuberant February 19, 2010

Highly recommended for serious film lovers, including mature teens

One of the best films this year, but only for mature viewers. Awesome acting and use of fantasy to help viewer enter Precious' life. Very realistic dialogue and great casting. Both heart-breaking and life affirming.
Adult Written byMiss Rodriguez December 16, 2009

Perfect for older teens and adults but not for children!

I honestly loved the movie, her teacher and social worker depict loving and caring role models. Aside from the fact that the movie has a very cruel story line precious rises above it all in the end. All in all i give the movie 5 stars
Adult Written byBUDU09 December 3, 2009

A good thought you had it bad story!

I truly enjoyed this movie... of all the movies based on books that I seen, this one was the closes to the original story. The story is nothing new we have all heard, seen or even no someone that has gone through what this character went through. It's may be a little much for those 12 and under but it is a good story for all else. It gives hope to those who are struggling in life and for those who think that they may have it worst. Its a sad but all too true tell of the twenty first century.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byNana Sue November 28, 2009

Maybe okay for older teens

I don't want to see this movie as I grew up with the same violence, hate, abuse as the characters in the movie. I don't recommend it for anyone.
Adult Written byLuvvy November 21, 2009

When I went to see this movie, I knew some of the themes that would be covered, but I was still not prepare for the levels of abuse, violence, and cruelty that I encountered. The movie was superbly acted and edited, but not very redemptive. Most of the women in my party had experienced sexual abuse, and one in our party was having a pretty hard time of it ... and we're talking about middle-aged women! There was a party that included several adults (young) with small children ranging from about 4 to 10 years old. This was definitely not a family-friendly movie, and they stayed the entire time. This was not a good thing! I wonder if the children were de-briefed. I hope they didn't think this was "normal" life.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylogmaniac November 18, 2009

Its abusive content not apropriate for children younger than 17
Adult Written bycritic1625 November 6, 2009

14+

It has a good message and is okay for 14+ or those mature enough to handle it.