All member reviews for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

Teen, 13 years old Written byxxhollisterluvxx March 30, 2010

Mature audiences only

Really mature movie. Strong language and violence are things to look out for. The movie was a little much for me.I'm 13. There's. A scene that shows her father molesting her. Only should be viewed by mature audiences.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySilverSnake July 11, 2010

Real good, but extremely sad

I'm actually watching it right now, my mom and aunt are too, so I got 'adult supervision' its real good but real depression. I mean how nasty her gross daddy did something bad to her and gave her children! Her mom makes me real mad too. They talk about condums once, the parents and people 'roiund her are abusive, but she's in a class and the teachers are nice to her, it has good messages dispite it all. I'd say 15 and up, but I'm 14 and sinse I'm watching it, I'll just say 14 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySynchronicity November 8, 2009

We are all precious...and this movie proves it

I saw this film at a film festival with my parents, and was immensely moved by Clareece "Precious" Jones' story. In this film, she (played by the excellent Gabourey Sidibe) has a life absolutely nobody would want. She is pregnant with her second child after her father raped her, she's continually abused by her chain-smoking mother, and she's in eighth grade at the age of 16. But she loves math and can barely read or write, so her principal recommends she go to an alternative learning center...and this changes Precious' life forever. This is a poignant and hopeful drama with several very funny moments, especially in the classroom Precious is in, as well as the dream sequences woven throughout. All of the acting is terrific, especially Mo'Nique as Precious' mom, as well as Precious herself (Gabourey Sidibe) and Mariah Carey as the social worker. Despite the R rating and heavy content, I think everyone 13 or over should see this film. There's a lot of language (around 150 uses of "f**k" and its derivatives, as well as milder words). Precious' father rapes her in a scene that's repeated 3 times in the film; this is a very disturbing scene. However, no nudity is shown. Also, Precious briefly breastfeeds her baby in one scene. There are also many disturbing scenes of physical abuse, but one in particular stands out (like CSM said) that I don't want to describe. Precious' mom smokes cigarettes throughout the movie. But through all the bad content and despair, we see an underlying message of hope. And that's exactly what the world needs. Precious is one of those films that you should definitely see if you're mature enough to handle it. I think 13 is a good age for this film, but that's just me. See it and you will learn that everyone - and I mean everyone - has potential.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpeedy1108 December 8, 2009

It's heartbreaking, but they get through and it has a kind of happy ending!
Teen, 16 years old Written byteenagerreviewer March 3, 2011

um...come on grownups! whats ur problem????? :)

Love it. My favorite movie when i was 12. im 13 now. (im not 16, i didn't mean to click that) guess what? adults don't think kids can handle and understand things that they can. i understood everything, wasn't highly disturbed, or shocked at anything. it was a story 8/10 12 year olds would understand, love, and appreciate. Grownups need to chill, because they don't know what goes through kids minds, kids do. So adults, you shuld read these reviews yourselves, because a 12 year old isn't a baby who knows nothing. i thought it was great, NOT VERY SEXUAL, and beautiful. Gaborey deserved that oscar :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byReba9497 March 6, 2011

Must watch!

I saw this movie (Im 13, I was 12 at the time) and I think it's a great movie. It has very raw scenes of abuse, but I think it shouldn't be 17+. It really depends on the how mature u are, but it does teach a great life lesson.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHizBabyGurl4ever March 19, 2011

Perfect for kids in High school!

I loved it.. very touching and sad and very sad to watch... i cried :(
Kid, 10 years old January 18, 2011

Dramatic too sexual and grown and f and some mistakes
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper52 April 16, 2011

kooool

really good movie <33333 loveddddd ittttttt i cried for her dreams <3 she's awesome
Kid, 12 years old November 20, 2009

very depressing beatiful movie is very very violent

the film can't be missed with powerful peformences of everyone including maraih carrey and monique the film includes crule insults sexual assalts and physical assault including a gut wrenching rape scene. people need to embraasse lee daniels poetic gut wrenching incredible moving motion picture going up adam 500 days of summer and the hurt locker as some of the best indie films of the year
Teen, 15 years old Written bymissbuenrostro April 4, 2011

i cried
Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonlackey January 15, 2011

sad powerful message

this movie sends a very powerful message VERY SAD.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMizterbadboy November 10, 2010

Slow and dumb movie

Painfullly ..... boring . this movie is just boring .
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 May 30, 2010

Powerful drama, NO CHILDREN AT ALL

Lee Daniel's creative and brilliant creation that is "Precious" is a masterwork of influential acting and talented script-writing. Mo'Nique, saying some of the most foul language imaginable truly deserved every accolade she got in her truly frightning role as Mary Jones, and Sidibe's debut performance will be a true high point in her career. It took alot for me to get through this film, but only true good cinema can impact you like that. "Precious" deserved its Best Picture/Best Drama nomination.
Teen, 15 years old Written byredneckchick101 January 30, 2012

lots of cussing, sad, sexual things,but a great movie and book

i thought the movie and book was great but a little sad at some certain parts but i love it this is a great book to read because its not boring at all.
Kid, 12 years old November 18, 2012

POWERFUL.

It moved me sooo much.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybeccabooluvsyou March 16, 2010

Teen, 16 years old Written byDone1 March 3, 2012

Suggested MPAA rating

Rated R for acts of child abuse, sexual assault and strong language
Teen, 16 years old Written byMr581 March 27, 2010