All member reviews for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

Teen, 14 years old Written bySilverSnake July 11, 2010

Real good, but extremely sad

I'm actually watching it right now, my mom and aunt are too, so I got 'adult supervision' its real good but real depression. I mean how nasty her gross daddy did something bad to her and gave her children! Her mom makes me real mad too. They talk about condums once, the parents and people 'roiund her are abusive, but she's in a class and the teachers are nice to her, it has good messages dispite it all. I'd say 15 and up, but I'm 14 and sinse I'm watching it, I'll just say 14 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byxxhollisterluvxx March 30, 2010

Mature audiences only

Really mature movie. Strong language and violence are things to look out for. The movie was a little much for me.I'm 13. There's. A scene that shows her father molesting her. Only should be viewed by mature audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper52 April 16, 2011

kooool

really good movie <33333 loveddddd ittttttt i cried for her dreams <3 she's awesome
Teen, 16 years old Written byteenagerreviewer March 3, 2011

um...come on grownups! whats ur problem????? :)

Love it. My favorite movie when i was 12. im 13 now. (im not 16, i didn't mean to click that) guess what? adults don't think kids can handle and understand things that they can. i understood everything, wasn't highly disturbed, or shocked at anything. it was a story 8/10 12 year olds would understand, love, and appreciate. Grownups need to chill, because they don't know what goes through kids minds, kids do. So adults, you shuld read these reviews yourselves, because a 12 year old isn't a baby who knows nothing. i thought it was great, NOT VERY SEXUAL, and beautiful. Gaborey deserved that oscar :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byMeriam33 September 2, 2013

Push the book

Now I'm only eleven and i read the book. And if the movie is anything like what the book is its very descriptive! My teacher let me read this book because she said that I was responsible enough. But I loved the book! It had a great message to it and even though i was probably to young to read it I still understood what the message was and what was going on. I still wouldn't let any kids under 12 to read this.
Kid, 12 years old November 18, 2012

POWERFUL.

It moved me sooo much.
Teen, 15 years old Written byredneckchick101 January 30, 2012

lots of cussing, sad, sexual things,but a great movie and book

i thought the movie and book was great but a little sad at some certain parts but i love it this is a great book to read because its not boring at all.
Kid, 12 years old December 28, 2011

Life is … Precious.

Extremely mature film. Precious' mom smokes in nearly every shot that she's in. Abuse (Sexually, Physically, and Mentally). The movie is about a teenage girl who's been impregnated by her father twice, whom then does all she can to turn her life around – while being brought down by her mother.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBONES&BOOTH4EVER September 24, 2011

Sad and intense, something teens should see

This movie was very powerful yet depressing to see how much Precious struggled. Her brutal parents beat and raped her, and there's a lot of bad language. It's something that teens should see to see how lucky they really are, and to see what some people have suffered. It's very heartbreaking and made me cry. Definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymissbuenrostro April 4, 2011

i cried
Teen, 13 years old Written byReba9497 March 6, 2011

Must watch!

I saw this movie (Im 13, I was 12 at the time) and I think it's a great movie. It has very raw scenes of abuse, but I think it shouldn't be 17+. It really depends on the how mature u are, but it does teach a great life lesson.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 May 30, 2010

Powerful drama, NO CHILDREN AT ALL

Lee Daniel's creative and brilliant creation that is "Precious" is a masterwork of influential acting and talented script-writing. Mo'Nique, saying some of the most foul language imaginable truly deserved every accolade she got in her truly frightning role as Mary Jones, and Sidibe's debut performance will be a true high point in her career. It took alot for me to get through this film, but only true good cinema can impact you like that. "Precious" deserved its Best Picture/Best Drama nomination.
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2010

People who like drama movies and enjoy movies where people get opportunities.

Very sad and depressing. The mother constantly abuses and beats her whether something happened or not. Precious gets raped and impregnated by her father multiple times and watching this can be disturbing. Tons of profanity from the n-word to the f-word. The mother is a negative role model and so is the father, who you barely get to see in this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshiznit April 24, 2010

Claireece precious Jones (Gabouree sidibee)may not be one of the best 'role models' but she is a strong character on how any persons can survive.etc AIDS,being abused, . . .
Teen, 13 years old Written bydr duck March 13, 2010

Strong, powerful, moving film for older teens

This film is a mature, hard, well illustrated story of a girls dream. Some intense senses.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpeedy1108 December 8, 2009

It's heartbreaking, but they get through and it has a kind of happy ending!
Teen, 15 years old Written bySynchronicity November 8, 2009

We are all precious...and this movie proves it

I saw this film at a film festival with my parents, and was immensely moved by Clareece "Precious" Jones' story. In this film, she (played by the excellent Gabourey Sidibe) has a life absolutely nobody would want. She is pregnant with her second child after her father raped her, she's continually abused by her chain-smoking mother, and she's in eighth grade at the age of 16. But she loves math and can barely read or write, so her principal recommends she go to an alternative learning center...and this changes Precious' life forever. This is a poignant and hopeful drama with several very funny moments, especially in the classroom Precious is in, as well as the dream sequences woven throughout. All of the acting is terrific, especially Mo'Nique as Precious' mom, as well as Precious herself (Gabourey Sidibe) and Mariah Carey as the social worker. Despite the R rating and heavy content, I think everyone 13 or over should see this film. There's a lot of language (around 150 uses of "f**k" and its derivatives, as well as milder words). Precious' father rapes her in a scene that's repeated 3 times in the film; this is a very disturbing scene. However, no nudity is shown. Also, Precious briefly breastfeeds her baby in one scene. There are also many disturbing scenes of physical abuse, but one in particular stands out (like CSM said) that I don't want to describe. Precious' mom smokes cigarettes throughout the movie. But through all the bad content and despair, we see an underlying message of hope. And that's exactly what the world needs. Precious is one of those films that you should definitely see if you're mature enough to handle it. I think 13 is a good age for this film, but that's just me. See it and you will learn that everyone - and I mean everyone - has potential.
Kid, 12 years old March 11, 2012

Bad

Teen, 16 years old Written byDone1 March 3, 2012

Suggested MPAA rating

Rated R for acts of child abuse, sexual assault and strong language
Teen, 16 years old Written byHizBabyGurl4ever March 19, 2011

Perfect for kids in High school!

I loved it.. very touching and sad and very sad to watch... i cried :(