All member reviews for Princess: A Modern Fairy Tale

Second-rate fairy-tale romance has scary moments.

Parent Written byKateBurns76 February 1, 2011

Too scary, sexist, stupid and bad for girls

My girls are 6 and 7 and they were enraptured by the insanely pretty Princess. However, the monsters were REALLY scary and both my kids screamed and burst into tears. They are still talking about it. My kids see a fair bit of stuff, they aren't wimps, the wolf man thing was scary!! I also thought the "friend" of the main male character was revolting and manipulative and sexist. I didn't like his objectification of the Princess. As others mentioned the homophobia was there too. Overall the story is still the same old Princess, the whole world revolves around being pretty and getting married. Very disappointing that this stuff is still being made for girls. Also, they tried to convince us the Princess was 25?? Please. WHERE are the good stories??
Adult Written byChilliwack Mom April 15, 2011

Sexist and just plain awful!

Poorly written, poorly acted. Main two characters are sexist. There is a discussion about things like "...she gave me a book so I could have a sympathetic pregnancy with her...it tells all about what pregnancy does to your wife's body..." Totally inappropriate dialogue for a "family" movie. Shame on you ABC Family!
Adult Written by2Pink April 9, 2008

Sweet Princess

My husband and I enjoyed watching this movie with our 4 year old daughter. I suggest watching it with your young child, some of the scenes are a little frightening before you are made aware the Princess cares for mythical creatures.
Adult Written byyojuran April 9, 2008

Not a Family Movie

We turned it off after about 17 minutes and after way too much unnecessary dialogue and unnecessary information including lines about virgins, lesbians ... enough already. That's not Family for any age. C'mon!
Adult Written bydiamante2006 June 27, 2009

Garbage highly upset

This movie was not appopiate for kids. It is not a good message and is garbage. It is also showing kids dinking and gay comments,which is not appopriate for their young minds. I was highly upset with the content in this movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written byRatingDonuts June 7, 2015

Wasn't too happy in the beginning!

Well I was disappointed in what happened in the first 20 minutes or so the language was very 13+ i'd say. I didn't like the gay or lesbian remarks they made or how they openly discussed virginity. I didn't like showing this to the young ones. -- they drank a lot as well.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydina1999 May 10, 2013

Very nice

Adult Written byagarten June 11, 2009
Kid, 5 years old December 8, 2008
Adult Written bysusanna.zwerlin... May 9, 2014

Pretty Good Movie, But Iffy Stuff

I'm an 8 year old and this is coming from me.Pretty good plot, but some not appropriate stuff. I didn't realize how scary it was until I watched it, but overall, pretty good movie!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bykarime September 11, 2010
i think that the movie is great.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoubleDee. November 7, 2009
Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2009

Rent in........NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This classic fairy tale has a little twist to it.....the princess needs help to find her sucessor. Great movie. It got a little scary, what is in her dreams, and when they are going to rescue Jitter Bug!
Adult Written byaudreyrose May 27, 2009
Adult Written byLisa K. January 31, 2017

Offensive and inappropriate (and I'm usually very tolerant)

This movie is a about a Caucasian, Princeton educated trust fund fellow who has $50,000 and has no idea what to do with his life. Many people would think this character is fortunate, but apparently, we are supposed to have empathy for him. He couch surfs at a fake Mark Zuckerberg's house (literally the character said he created one thing for the internet, sold it and now never has to work again, instead gets invites to charity functions and married an Asian women-the fact that this buddy character is written so despicably makes me think that the writer is an enemy of Mark Zuckerberg). Also they two guys drink ALOT, liquor, beer, etc, you name it, nearly every scene so I'm not sure how this got low ratings for the drug/alcohol use. Then the comments such as "no that's not gay at all" and how often the buddy calls the princess insane and mentally unstable and how she would be much better off if the main character would have sex with her and that he should lie to her, try to get famous for knowing her and so on, makes me think this movie was written by the worst, loneliest, most jaded man in the world. On another weird note, the endangered animal charity that the Princess raises money for is a sham. She lies to people so she can actually protect mermaids, dragons, etc. So that is one strike against philanthropic giving. I feel terrible that we watched this as a family and it did not represent any values that we share with our daughter. We had to "de-brief" her when it ended. And they use the word sucks a few times which is exactly how I would describe this movie.
Adult Written bykos lat L. November 5, 2016

Should have been a comedy

The acting was so bad that I truly thought it was a comedy. Other than my laughing through the entire film and watching the lead actor waddle through the movie like a penguin, my only true complaint has to be the 'special effects' which look like a toddler animated. The plotline would have been better if the first thing that I saw on the screen would have been 'The End'. Don't waste your time.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytorky2001 September 27, 2016
Adult Written bymirandareed73 September 12, 2015

Its great

I think its a good movie but i don't like williams friend he is too self-centered and a male chauvinist pig anything he should not have been created on to this movie he's a little bit too rude and snood and crude. And I have read all of the reviews on here and I agree with all of them some of it is a kids movie but some of its not I think the Virginity lesbian and gay and drinking part should have been left out of this movie and putting all kids stuff in this movie. I don't know what the director was thinking/creator . But I have to say I'm liking this movie so far. But I don't know. Some of it makes me smile and some of it gives me the creeps. Specially the hooded figure when William say something about that homeless thing that should not be in here either sorry but I don't agree with homeless creature being in this movie Its inappropriate and not right to be in this movie.