All member reviews for Princess Mononoke

Epic, compelling, and violent anime.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byermengrabby October 18, 2009

Miyazaki's masterpiece

I love this movie. So does my four year old son -- but he has very advanced tastes and is not easily frightened. ("It's just a movie, Mommy," complete with eye roll.) The violence is pretty intense and the resolution is rather subtle. My son had to see the movie many times before he really understood what happens to the forest spirit in the end.
Parent Written bySnafuy August 15, 2009

Very violent compared to other Miyazaki masterpieces

Princess Mononoke is one of my top ten favorite movies, ever. Intelligent characters, amazing concepts, gorgeous scenery. No irredeemable villains; only imperfect souls trying to do their best in a difficult world. This film contains many scenes of violence, including death, dismemberment, blood, and decaying corpses. Over the next few years my kids will see every Miyazaki film; Nausicaa and Mononoke will be saved for last.
Adult Written bybabatopenot September 25, 2011

A content-focused review

This movie shows more blood in it than probably any other movie I have seen. Multiple heads are shot off by “demon” arrows, Princess Mononoke sucks mouthfuls of blood out of a wolf god’s wound to clean it, the main character is shot through the chest from which blood flows puddles on the ground as he exerts himself to open a city gate, a man has his arms shot off and pinned to a tree where they dangle for a moment, the decapitated head of a wolf-god bites off a woman’s arm, a ten-ton boargod vomits buckets of blood repeatedly, another boar-god rots away into a reeking carcass in seconds—and that is just the big stuff. This all sounds worse than it seems however, as the film’s cartoon nature makes the gore much less pronounced or offensive. As for sexual content, the film is mostly clean although “not applicable” is definitely an inaccurate rating. A band of women, who giggle a lot, is depicted in relatively modest kimonos (basically bathrobes) which nevertheless show a little cleavage. Many of them have, apparently, been rescued from more disreputable pasts and one man describes them as having been “wasted in the brothels” (a term which is used at least thrice in the movie). The women themselves say that their new life of manual labor is better because “the men no longer bother us…unless we want them to! *tee hee tee hee*” At one point, the main character goes to visit them (not in an inappropriate way) and helps them pump the billows for an iron mine. His efforts toss them lightly into the air which they find quite entertaining, but their bathrobes rumble a bit and one women jokes to another (off-screen) “Whoops! Better keep that kimono closed tight!” As for language, God’s name is abused a couple of times and b*stard, b*tch, d*mn and H*ll are each used, but only about once each. I like this website because of the user reviews, but whoever at CSM wrote this review clearly liked the movie too much. I mean: “Language = Not Applicable”? if b*stard, b*tch, d*mn, and H*ll don’t count as foul language, there is not much that does.
Kid, 11 years old September 13, 2010

Alot of violence, but good overall message.

I love this movie, and while it is very violent, the overall message is that we should treat our earth with better care. I recomend this movie to any family who is looking for something good.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 May 31, 2010

Best Man vs. nature/Man film by Miyazaki-sama

Can it get any better? Humans and gods who want peace, but know they must protect the forest. A woman who wants to industralize the world but must kill a god to do so. Complete man vs. nature and man; or possibly a higher power. Violent, but not overdone, some cursing but that isn't upsetting. The story is dark for younger kids, and it may be scary when a demon comes running out of the woods covered in squirming worms. That, or the giant god that kills people when they harm it. I'm not spoiling it, just warning about what you will see. A bit complex, so not quiet for younger viewers, but it is awesome.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bykempeke July 30, 2009
Please also be aware that this film DOES contain sexual content related to prostitution.
Kid, 12 years old August 24, 2010

Perfect for 12 and up!

This is the one of my top 3 fave anime movies! I love it! It includes a bit of bad things and may be a little violent but it didn't bother me. I didn't have to look away once! :) Great Movie!
Parent of a 4 and 12 year old Written bystarshower July 22, 2012

Beautiful animation, but some intense and frightening scenes/imagery

*spoilers* Even thought our family has been watching Miyazaki's movies for years, this is the one movie of his I made my son wait to watch until I felt he was old enough to watch it and I could watch it with him so we could discuss it. Well, he turned 12 a few weeks ago and we finally watched it tonight. He's quite familiar with Miyazaki's recurring theme of passion for the environment and the human role in destroying it--and subsequent duty to care for it--so he understood the underlying meaning of the human vs. nature battle. However, the frightening imagery of animals consumed by anger/hatred-induced demons (caused by what the humans were doing to them and their forest home) controlling them was very intense for him. There were a few instances of cursing, and more than a few mentions of brothels. A few arms and heads are lost in gory detail by a variety of methods, including gunshot, arrow, sword, and decapitated wolf head (she was a god so I suppose it could happen). Also, there is lots of blood dripping, pooling, and gushing from wounds (and being vomited by one animal). Overall, the film has a very good message and beautiful animation, but be aware that, especially for more sensitive kids, some of the scenes are quite intense and frightening.
Kid, 12 years old June 11, 2010

NO way is it for 9 year olds.

I loved the movie but 9+ are you joking it is for 12 year olds without a doubt although maybe 11 year olds could watch it depending on the kid the boar scene NO WAY and when the guys head gets his head cut off by the demon arrow ,the role models are good though.
Adult Written bybobbie April 9, 2008

unexpectedly gorey

i got this because common sense media said it was ok for 9+. i completely disagree, and i haven't done that before! the snakes covering the demon gods were creeping out my 11 year olds. the story eventually didn't make sense (the humans vs. gods vs. the earth has a confused ending - certainly nothing al gore would appreciate!) i wish we hadn't seen it. yes, the animation was good, but a child can't separate the story from the direction. it was really too graphic for younger kids - i think it deserves the pg-13 rating.
Kid, 12 years old September 18, 2010

Violent, but easy to handle for any mature child.

The biggest concerns are that there is a lot of violence. Limbs cut off, heads shot off, a frightening scene of a severely wounded boar turning into a demon which makes it covered in writhing worms and coughing up gallons of blood. There's a lot more where that came from! The violence. however, is not over the top. My 8 year old brother could actually watch it comfortably, and likes it a lot. Parents, you should probably watch it first before showing it to children 10 and under.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjoc13 April 9, 2008
Parent of a 3 and 14 year old Written byVAstuart22 December 10, 2010
BEST ANIME MOVIE EVER!!!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byKakarot September 27, 2009

good for everyone but is violent at times

again one of the finest work of Mr.Miyazaki. bit violent though but movie conveys extremely high regards for nature and our system of balance with it with beautiful imagination and epic story.
Adult Written bylotusflower April 9, 2008
Kid, 12 years old July 21, 2011

2nd-Best Animated Movie I've Seen!

Alot of Blood, Non Graphic Violence, and Scary Images, but it was a great film. Bravo!
Parent of a 1, 7, and 8 year old Written byNaruto uzumaki August 23, 2009

Best movie in the world!!!!!

Awesome movie!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2011
awesome! I don't get the wimpy kids saying that they had nightmares and its too violent. sure its a little violent but come on things happen in real life that are way worse! best movie ever
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2011

I Love It, but Too Scary for Tweens and below

It's a super fantastic movie, but- WAY TOO VIOLENT! Okay, a little violence here and there is cool, but, this had way too much. The story is great and the whole essence is too, but I really hate scary dying wart hogs, or cows being flung off a cliff. I had nightmares for weeks... I still can't watch it now.. Although I'd like to. Me, I'm soft. I don't know about you.
Kid, 10 years old March 3, 2011

re overrated

iffy for ages 8+?WHAT R THEY THINKING?THIS MOVIE IS VERY VIOLENT AND HAS CURSING!violence includes this scene where hes fighting samurais and the samurais arms get sliced off and hooked to a tree.also,d*mn and H*ll is used.but overall this is a great movie.........if you can handle the violence (i couldent handle it all)