All member reviews for Princess Mononoke

Kid, 10 years old March 3, 2011

re overrated

iffy for ages 8+?WHAT R THEY THINKING?THIS MOVIE IS VERY VIOLENT AND HAS CURSING!violence includes this scene where hes fighting samurais and the samurais arms get sliced off and hooked to a tree.also,d*mn and H*ll is used.but overall this is a great movie.........if you can handle the violence (i couldent handle it all)
Kid, 12 years old September 18, 2010

Violent, but easy to handle for any mature child.

The biggest concerns are that there is a lot of violence. Limbs cut off, heads shot off, a frightening scene of a severely wounded boar turning into a demon which makes it covered in writhing worms and coughing up gallons of blood. There's a lot more where that came from! The violence. however, is not over the top. My 8 year old brother could actually watch it comfortably, and likes it a lot. Parents, you should probably watch it first before showing it to children 10 and under.
Kid, 11 years old September 13, 2010

Alot of violence, but good overall message.

I love this movie, and while it is very violent, the overall message is that we should treat our earth with better care. I recomend this movie to any family who is looking for something good.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 May 31, 2010

Best Man vs. nature/Man film by Miyazaki-sama

Can it get any better? Humans and gods who want peace, but know they must protect the forest. A woman who wants to industralize the world but must kill a god to do so. Complete man vs. nature and man; or possibly a higher power. Violent, but not overdone, some cursing but that isn't upsetting. The story is dark for younger kids, and it may be scary when a demon comes running out of the woods covered in squirming worms. That, or the giant god that kills people when they harm it. I'm not spoiling it, just warning about what you will see. A bit complex, so not quiet for younger viewers, but it is awesome.
Kid, 12 years old August 24, 2010

Perfect for 12 and up!

This is the one of my top 3 fave anime movies! I love it! It includes a bit of bad things and may be a little violent but it didn't bother me. I didn't have to look away once! :) Great Movie!
Teen, 15 years old Written byjoc13 April 9, 2008
Kid, 12 years old July 21, 2011

2nd-Best Animated Movie I've Seen!

Alot of Blood, Non Graphic Violence, and Scary Images, but it was a great film. Bravo!
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2011

awesome! I don't get the wimpy kids saying that they had nightmares and its too violent. sure its a little violent but come on things happen in real life that are way worse! best movie ever
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2011

I Love It, but Too Scary for Tweens and below

It's a super fantastic movie, but- WAY TOO VIOLENT! Okay, a little violence here and there is cool, but, this had way too much. The story is great and the whole essence is too, but I really hate scary dying wart hogs, or cows being flung off a cliff. I had nightmares for weeks... I still can't watch it now.. Although I'd like to. Me, I'm soft. I don't know about you.
Kid, 12 years old June 11, 2010

NO way is it for 9 year olds.

I loved the movie but 9+ are you joking it is for 12 year olds without a doubt although maybe 11 year olds could watch it depending on the kid the boar scene NO WAY and when the guys head gets his head cut off by the demon arrow ,the role models are good though.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySamurai 2.0 May 6, 2011

Quite truly one of the best anime films ever made; Hayao Miyazaki's best.

While young children may get a few chills from it, this is a family film that kids of all ages will love. Seven and up, but all-ages family film.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusic4life92 October 13, 2010

Teen, 15 years old Written bymongofa July 16, 2010

tweens and teens will like this

This was very entertaining, but I don't think it is suitable for 9-year-olds.
Kid, 11 years old April 25, 2010

One Of Miyazaki's Best!

This is a great movie that is filled with action from beginning to end. Princess Mononoke is very violent and I definitely do not agree with 9+. Plenty of blood, dismemberment, and killing. I would say 12+ is probably good. No one under 10, but maybe an 11 year old.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands.help.people July 30, 2014
Kid, 11 years old June 10, 2014

Awesome movie, very violent

I saw this thinking it wouldn't be TOO bad, but thankfully my brother was in the other room watching Monsters University! Amazing anime, amazing EVERYTHING, but parents (and you) should be prepared to cover your kid's (or your own) eyes. Heads get knocked off (although you don't see much) and in the beginning an arrow shoots halfway to the elbow, and you see ALOT. Don't forget- GREAT movie, just REALLY graphic in a few parts.
Kid, 9 years old May 26, 2014

Review of Princess Mononoke

I think it's good for 12 and up. There are some very gruesome parts. If your child can handle animated blood and bones I'd think it would be ok. there is a scene where the main character gets shot and there is a lot of blood. if your child can handle that then it's a very good movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byellie.me. July 15, 2012

Brilliant- one of Miyazaki's best

It's intense and captivating, but it's not too violent to detract from its main message of finding balance between man and nature. The animation is beautiful. Despite the intermittent gore from battle scenes, there's lighthearted moments throughout the film. In this dubbed version, Billy Bob Thornton's vocal talent seems to fit right into his character, along with the rest of the cast. There's many forms of 'villain', but never a true one. Maybe hatred in general. It's a masterwork from Miyazaki.
Kid, 10 years old May 1, 2012

depends on the kid but is a great thoughtful movie

i think it depends on the child. I am 10 and this is my favorite movie but that is because I don't mind violince like most children. But if you are a parent reading this may i tell you that at least almost every 5 minutes there can be some blood now i don't want this review to be the reason you don't let your kids watch it it depends on the family and the child but if you are protective i suggest you watch it first or with your child.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLedZepFan98 April 25, 2012

mature Miyazaki

If you read my Cowboy Bebop this applies here. Kids 10 and up should enjoy it but it is to violent for anyone under and may not have a long enough attention span.