Classic Hitchcock horror masterpiece still thrills.

Parent Written byPlague December 14, 2009

Psycho

All I have to say is... MASTERPIECE! Alfred Hitchcock = God.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCaptain_Tripps April 9, 2008

One of my Favorite Films of All Time

Perfect for any horror fan. Parents won't have to worry about sex, language, or gore, but keep in mind the film is very scary. This is probably okay for kids 13 and up.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythegodfather123456 April 29, 2011

The greatest horror/suspense film of all times... a must-watch if you haven't already.

A masterpiece from the horror genre. Don't listen to people who don't know what they're talking about like Jadenp (reviewer below) who laughs at this film. IT WAS FROM THE 60'S!!!!!!!!!! Do you expect for it to be as visually scary as films like Signs? Of course not! Use your brain for once! You have to think about the tension that these characters are going through, then you can look at me and tell me it is scary. This is Hitchcock's masterpiece. One of my 10 favorite films of all-time. I'm not saying it's one of the 10 BEST. All of the performances are great, but by far the best thing in this film is how Hitchcock creates tension, and how he creates a great climax so when you're at the end, you will be totally satisfied. I promise you will be on the edge of your seat, biting your nails and when the ending enrolls itself, your jaw will be dropped. Psycho has also one of the greatest scenes of all-time, which is the famous Shower Scene. (NOTE that the Shower Scene is soooooo good that I capitalized it). P.S. Just because this film is in B&W does not give you any reason whatsoever to not watch it right away. Many other films on the greatest of all-time list are in B&W like Casablanca, Raging Bull, and It's a Wonderful Life.
Adult Written byfarrell1 May 9, 2009
HORRIBLE
Adult Written bysarge123 May 28, 2015

Excellent film let down by poor ending. Violent and scary. 15+

Bloody violence, Female Nudity (Breasts) and Sexual Themes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBBFC on CSM July 12, 2014

BBFC 12

Contains one scene of strong violence, moderate horror and mental illness theme.
Parent Written byCoolkidz December 25, 2012

A classic

This movie is not gory or graphic I mean I saw this as a 9 year old and it was totally appropriate no graphic violence barely any sexual content and no swears or alcohol it's not even to scary you want a scary movie watch the ring or the grudge!
Adult Written byalienbx April 9, 2008

Watch It at a Sleepover

This is the perfect movie for a couple of kids to watch together at a sleepover. (I'm forty-nine and saw it first that way back in 1972!) They should know that there will be a lot to think about when they are finished watching the movie... but one or two good scares along the way! This one has been copied by everyone, but Hitchcock was the only one how to do it right. Did you know that he appears in every one of his over fifty movies? See if you can find him in this one. No, he is NOT one of the people crossing in front of Janet Leigh's car as she makes her escape. And dig that music!
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 14, 2011

not scary.

No language, sex, nudity, or violence. The famous 'shower scene' is so cheesy! its not scary at all! my little brother and I laughed at it! They dont show the knife even touching her! there's no actual violence. Haha, not scary at all.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion February 2, 2011

Perfect!

PSYCHO is Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece and is widely considered the pinnacle of his distinguished career. The movie, when released, was a crowd-pleasing, censor-busting spectacle that has since become a cultural icon and possibly the most influential movie ever made. PSYCHO is fifty-one years old this year, but retains it artistic merit and emotional depth. It may not shock as it did when it came out, but it gives every generation of viewers chills down their spine. Parents should realize that this film is still very scary, even for teens and some adults. The villian is a psychotic murderer, and all of these said murders (stabbings) are shown on-screen in shocking visual ways, with fast cuts and loud suspenseful music. There is a little blood, but since the movie is in black and white, the impact of that blood is diminished. Audiences will also see a few bloodless scuffles and a disgusting (but unrealistic) decomposed body. A couple is seen post-sex in bed (clothed, except he's shirtless), and they make some minor innuendo that will most likely soar over the heads of most viewers under 14 or 15. A male character spies on the lead female as she gets undressed, but all we see is her in a bra and skirt. We see a woman's bare back and legs as she showers, but the camera never comes close to anything explicit. All in all, this is a perfect example of fine, thrilling movie-making. If your older kid (or teen) is interested in scary movies or thrillers, or classics, then this is a great choice for them. However, young or sensitive kids should be kept far away until they're mature enough to handle the movie's classic frights.
Adult Written byClassicCultReviewer June 17, 2009
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Simply a Masterpiece

Granted, the shock value is long gone since the scene that makes the plot so unique is arguably the most famous scene in all of film, but Hitchcock is a master of suspense . . . far better than the blood and gore fests we see today. Amazingly, in the shower scene . . . the knife NEVER touches her . . . partly because of film code at the time, but also because nothing works as well as your own imagination.
Adult Written byrickydoo85 April 9, 2008

Classic

This is the best horror film of all time. And it's not even that violent! Theres a few scenes including the classic shower scene and the death on stairs scene that may frighten little kids.
Adult Written byCheescake.eater2016 February 26, 2016

Pyscho

The directing was very good and the only thing that is mainly to watch. The camera was incredible, never seen very good imaging at its best. For example, where Norm bates was walking up the stairs and the camera followed him all the way to the top of the stirs, but the worst scene was when Norman was stabbing Marion in the shower. For me it wasn't quite a good shot. They could of made it better but it's a good story and good script. The characters were great but at times it just wasn't good. Alfred Hitchcock made the effort to make a good acting characters and a good written script. I had a good attention grabber that made me want to watch more of the movie. The sound was good because I had realized when the Norman bates was nerves or when the killing was going to happen. The director used a lot of silhouettes. He brought every detail to attention like when the camera zoomed in on Norman bates when he was looking at the log book. at the end of the movie the director wanted the problems and the details of Normans multiple characteristics disorder. It was confusing but as they had brought to problem Norman had to attention.
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byunicornb February 6, 2016

One Of Hitchcock's Best!

This chilling film is about a young woman who has taken $40,000 dollars and leaves with it. She then make her way to the Bates Motel, a dilapidated building that she stays at. She then meets Norman Bates who invites her to stay, with an utterly creepy story progression. This movie is barely violent, little blood is shown. An sex isn't an issue, unless you count kissing. This movie is a great for children who are old enough to begin horror films, because it isn't too scary. There are some lulls in the story, with many moments of just talking. But its all made up for at the eerie conclusion. I would extremely recommend this movie to friends, because its such a great piece of work.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelliekh December 27, 2015

A Great Movie

This movie is considered a classic, with great reason. Hitchcock, the director, was a household name when Psycho was released. He tends to use suspense over surprise. In this sense he always gives a bit of a warning when a scary part is coming. Young viewers might need help understanding the killer's condition in which caused them to murder the people. Along with that there is an unsettling part involving a corpse. CAUTION THE FILM IS NOT RATED NR. IT IS ACTUALLY RATED R. However the film was made when there was no PG-13. So I recommend this to anyone 12 and up.
Parent Written bytreat02 May 12, 2012

Caution: contains spoilers

This movie, I wouldn't say is a horror movie. It is more suspensful. I think that the only (scariest other then the killing's) SPOILIER* is when (at the end) the psycho's face turned into a skull (it faded into one). And the grandmother's dead body. Otherwise, this is a 5 star movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byelsbelspeace001 November 3, 2011

SCARY!!!!!

This is beyond scary too many scenes that leave you speechless, music is even scarier no kids should watch it
Teen, 13 years old Written byrbpeace May 22, 2010

Not THAT Bad

The way I look at it, it's not that bad. Psycho is a horror classic, and if a kid wants to see it, he/she might as well see it. Yet, at the same time, if a kid below 12 has even heard of this film, they don't need to see it. It does evoke some... fear, in a sense. It isn't "nightmarish," but there can be some post-viewing shivers, if you know what I mean. In my opinion, it isn't the shower scene that would "get" most parents. There is no nudity, and the violence can only be imagined. I will say that the review is slightly incorrect; if you are looking for it, you do see the knife touching the skin. Alfred Hitchcock had such a mind for things I'm sure he intended this subtlety. The scariest part for me was the revelation of a corpse. It wasn't violent, but it was definitely creepy. The only "violent" scene was the one in which the private investigator is climbing the stairs in the Bates Mansion, and "Mrs. Bates" comes out and murders him (sorry, spoiler). His face is slashed, and this could be viewed as violence. While I fully realize that the other "slasher" scenes are intending to be violence, modern times have brought children and teenagers to where no blood and no gore is not scary, and not effective. We must remember that this was released in 1960, when it was considered one of the scariest movies of all time. Even the remake (1998) was only slightly more horrifying. If you know your children cannot "do" horror films, don't let them watch this. But, if you have a movie-loving child, this is a must see. Without Psycho, we would be no where near where we are today, not just with horror films, but with all film.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bychildrenrcool November 20, 2009

Amazing thriller, but extemely scary!

It is not extremely bloody, but just right.This is by far the scariest movie I have ever seen. It is so real, and could easily happen. I do not see why this site says for 15+, although it is only PG.