Classic Hitchcock horror masterpiece still thrills.

Parent Written bytreat02 May 12, 2012

Caution: contains spoilers

This movie, I wouldn't say is a horror movie. It is more suspensful. I think that the only (scariest other then the killing's) SPOILIER* is when (at the end) the psycho's face turned into a skull (it faded into one). And the grandmother's dead body. Otherwise, this is a 5 star movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byelsbelspeace001 November 3, 2011

SCARY!!!!!

This is beyond scary too many scenes that leave you speechless, music is even scarier no kids should watch it
Teen, 13 years old Written byrbpeace May 22, 2010

Not THAT Bad

The way I look at it, it's not that bad. Psycho is a horror classic, and if a kid wants to see it, he/she might as well see it. Yet, at the same time, if a kid below 12 has even heard of this film, they don't need to see it. It does evoke some... fear, in a sense. It isn't "nightmarish," but there can be some post-viewing shivers, if you know what I mean. In my opinion, it isn't the shower scene that would "get" most parents. There is no nudity, and the violence can only be imagined. I will say that the review is slightly incorrect; if you are looking for it, you do see the knife touching the skin. Alfred Hitchcock had such a mind for things I'm sure he intended this subtlety. The scariest part for me was the revelation of a corpse. It wasn't violent, but it was definitely creepy. The only "violent" scene was the one in which the private investigator is climbing the stairs in the Bates Mansion, and "Mrs. Bates" comes out and murders him (sorry, spoiler). His face is slashed, and this could be viewed as violence. While I fully realize that the other "slasher" scenes are intending to be violence, modern times have brought children and teenagers to where no blood and no gore is not scary, and not effective. We must remember that this was released in 1960, when it was considered one of the scariest movies of all time. Even the remake (1998) was only slightly more horrifying. If you know your children cannot "do" horror films, don't let them watch this. But, if you have a movie-loving child, this is a must see. Without Psycho, we would be no where near where we are today, not just with horror films, but with all film.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bychildrenrcool November 20, 2009

Amazing thriller, but extemely scary!

It is not extremely bloody, but just right.This is by far the scariest movie I have ever seen. It is so real, and could easily happen. I do not see why this site says for 15+, although it is only PG.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheEmeraldStick March 12, 2016

Best movie ever 10/10

Alfred hitchcock's masterpeice. A must watch. One of the best endings to a movie ever. The killings are very well masked (the infamous shower scene we never see the knife enter the body, and no cleavage is shown. but we get the memo.) If you are worried about scare factor, it's about as scary as five nights at freddys 1, as in surprising, but not shocking, and scares don't last.
Adult Written byStudmuffinbenny February 28, 2016
I give this film 5 stars because it was just really great. It achieved its goal of mystery throughout the entire film, and had an ending that was not disappointing! It was actually one of the best endings to a movie I can think of...It had twist, awesome character development, good camera angles, lighting that was fit for each scene, and plausible story line. With this, it made me think of the great directing put into this. From the small details of camera angles, to the subtle fore-shadow of his "mother"; the movie was directed wondrously. The sequence of the movie was also very important, it was great and fit what nowadays horror mystery films do. The movie being made in the 60's that is a great feat! Who knew that this film would set a world-wide trend for horror films? Concluding, the directing style, character development, and over all plot was great and ground setting.
Kid, 10 years old February 19, 2014

An incredible horror classic that your "horror fan kids" are going to love.

The movie has an incredible storyline and top-notch acting. The movie has 3 mildly frightening scenes. The first one is of course that insanely famous shower scene where the main character is stabbed to death although the blood is barely visible because it is black and white and the stabbing is clearly fake. No nudity is seen in this scene or even the whole movie although in one scene a couple are in bed together. The second scene was not at all scary for me but might be scary for your family. A man's face is slashed with a knife and he falls down the stairs. It's not as bad as it sounds. The third scene is probably the most frightening. A decomposed body in a chair is used to scare a man and a woman. The son of the lady whose body that was tried to kill the two people but the man saves himself and the lady. No profanity is used.
Parent of a 2, 10, 14, and 17 year old Written bySystemOfANintendo December 11, 2010

Classic Horror Movie

Classic movie for older kids and up. Terrifying, yet not gorey or bloody. Definitely one to watch over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 15 year old Written byslt208 November 3, 2010

Norman Bates is ready for a new generation of viewers!

This truly is one of the scariest movies ever made. It's also one of the greatest thrillers ever filmed. Most modern thrillers lack the subtlety and complexity of mood, character and plot that this film possesses. Because the style is so different from modern-day thrillers, a young audience that has never been exposed to this style of cinematography and plot development could find it boring, but with some help from a parent to give them background on Hitchcock films and Ed Geine, a younger audience can enjoy this more than the flashy and gory, quick-paced thrillers of today.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjohnwi312 December 27, 2009

Classic horror!

Psycho is too scary for young kids and many older kids, but older kids who don't mind getting a little scared will love this one. One of Alfred Hitchcock's best movies - a gripping, classy horror movie. Completely perfect from beginning to end.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDKRUMBLE725 October 8, 2009

Classic horror must see

First off, i have a hard time calling this a horror because there arent many scary scenes. God knows how the movie got an R rating. There is virtually no gory violence shown like in movies like Halloween or SAW. It is a kid safe horror movie that may even bore some viewers. Watch it and post what you think...
Teen, 14 years old Written byhitchman June 6, 2009

#1

The #1 movie in history. This was the beginning of cult classic slasher. Before Jason Voorhees(Friday the 13th), Freddy Kruger(A Nightmare on Elm Street), Leatherface(The Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Chucky(Child's Play), and Michael Myers(Halloween). I LOVED THE SHOWER SCENE.

It scared me half to death!!!

This movie is one of the scariest movies I've seen. Even without the famous shower scene, it would still be scary. I recomend this for mature 10 year olds.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

simply the best!

One of the best horror movies ever made! Don't watch it alone!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarth Petra April 9, 2008

I LOVE THIS MOVIE

The plot is so twisted, you really don't know what's going to happen next. Anthony Perkins is a terrific actor, and he makes you feel sorry for Norman, although you are disgusted by his behavior. Not appropriate for young kids, but older teenagers will like it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFlimFanE February 5, 2017
Alfred Hitchcock's classic movie Psycho built up so much mystery and terror in the 60's that is still unforgettable even more than 50 years after it's initial release. Psycho is a masterful piece of suspense and mystery that was way ahead of it's time in terms of what was allowed on screen. Psycho's iconic moments and characters are also an unforgettable experience and in my opinion for 13+
Teen, 16 years old Written byZeroK January 16, 2017
Teen, 15 years old Written bycoelise1212 December 24, 2016

Spectacular

This movie is a classic. The cinematography and acting are amazing, and the film itself is still incredibly scary, even though it isn't graphic. I recommend for anyone who enjoys thrills, but doesn't like the gore of todays horror movies. This movie will never be outdated.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySupernovaUniverse November 9, 2016

Classic "Horror Thriller" great for scary movie night!

Kids be warned, you might not want to shower alone after this-or stay in a motel. This movie is scary, but not too scary. Kids will enjoy the suspense and the action. Alfred Hitchcock keeps you waiting! The famous "shower scene" is nothing short of ingenious. Parents will worry about blood and nudity but not to worry, since this was made in black -n- white the blood is hardly visible and nudity stops at the neckline and nothing below the belly button. There are only two murders in the movie and the second one isn't much more violent then the first. A corpse is seen in the end of the movie, but no blood or gore, just a old rotting corpse.
Teen, 16 years old Written byindiana5 October 23, 2016