All member reviews for Public Enemies

Teen, 13 years old Written bysabreshank December 24, 2010

does not deserve R rating

SPOILER ALERT! This is a very good movie with some iffyness. The violence was not that bad save for a few scenes where there is blood. But, only the very last thing in the movie kind of disturbed me. It is the part when the main character is shot and killed. There is a lot of blood. Other than that, the violence is not that bad. There is a lot of drinking/smoking in the movie though, because it takes place in the 1930s, before they knew about how smoking is bad for you. There is very little sex or kissing in the movie, so that part is fine. The role model is not that good, 'cause he is a serial theif, but in the end he dies, so your kids(unless they want to die)probably won't see him as a role model. I think it is a fine movie to see if your kids are mature enough.
Teen, 15 years old Written bythesturgmachine February 22, 2014

Insanely good!

It isn't that bad, just a fair bit of violence.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur August 10, 2012

badass crime action thriller

tons of intense action, an amazing theme song, and an awesome performance by Johnny depp as John Dillinger, what's not to like?, action fans will surely love this movie lol
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 29, 2012

Good action sequences and performances can't save this ugly little movie.

Like Ben Afflecks The Town, Michaels Mann's Public Enemies is a bad movuie that has a lot of things to like, but, whatmakes them bad movies is that the bad things about them far outway the good things in them. In this case, public Enemies faults lie mainly in it's shockingly distant and incompetant directing from Veteran filmaker Michael Mann, who has created some very powerful films such as The Last of the Mohican's, Heat and The Insider. Now, with those movies, he made memorable experiences for the audience by creating realistic and creative storytelling, strong script work and, most positively, some very good cinematography and visuals. Now, imagine my surtprise when I saw Public Enemies, and the cinematgraphy was easilly by biggest complaint? But, it is a big complaint. I really, really big complaint. The cinematography is just awful. No, scratch that, it isn't awful: It is garish, unattractive and quiet simply, downright amtaeurish and cheap looking. Honestly, I don't really think that it would be much of a stretch to say that it is some of the worst cinematography and camera work that I have ever seen in a mainstream movie. Sure, that sounds unbelievably harsh, but, in all honesty, I truly biueleve that this is soi. Mann, who was so good in crafting powerful and strong images that stuck with us in The Insider, and, even his muddled but at least still good looking other biopic, Ali, but here, it is just messy looking at the screen, and it doesn't help other that he the perforamnes in this movie are actually well fleashed out, the action scenes flow strognyl, and the production values stick out above the grudgy looking camerawork. Also, one smaller but still evident gripe about the movie would be that it is 140 minutes long,a nd yet,the script barely covers anything in John Dillingers life, creating a rather skimpy plot in the film, as well, and, especially for a biopic. But, even though many peiople claim that this film R Rating is quiet mild, I actually think that it is very much deserved: There is infrequent but strong bloody violence, including some very graphnic shootings with copious amounts, and even in a few caeses, buckets of blood spraying from the gunshot wounds., but, probably the most disturbing scene in the movie would be when Dillinger's girlfriend is mercilessly slapped around, beaten and forced to urinate on herself by a pair of brutal depression era cops. Also, there is some infrequent but evident sexual content, as wel, with one particularly sensual bedroom scene. And, finally, there is frequent but fairly mild language throughout the moivie, as well, with a couple uses each of f--k, sh-t, d-mn, g-dd-mn, h-ll and more. So, if you think that this movie looks good, you wouldn't be wrong, because it sure looked good from the poster, the plot and all of the first-ate actors involved with it as well. Michael Mann should be ashamed of himself. He should have been able to do a much better job, than the one he did. Oh well. Next.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySanjay407 December 21, 2011

Read

Rated R: Strong Violence, Sexuality, Language, and Drug Use
Kid, 11 years old August 6, 2011

Fun

It was a very interesting film. I liked it because it was serious and straightforward. It is ok for people around my age
Teen, 14 years old Written byflavoredsarcasm July 12, 2011

Great movie

Public Enemies is a really good film. I really don't see why it was given an R rating; it really should be PG-13. There is a bit of violence that some kids may not like to see. But language wise, it's not too big of a deal. There's a bit of kissing and one sort of sex scene, but nothing is shown. This movie is definitely not one to miss!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybslrpl July 1, 2011

Tame R rated movie almost could be PG-13!

This was a pretty good movie! The violence was the mian reason for the R rating here. It was quite intense at times and some bloody wounds are shown but no gore. There is one sex scene but it was as bad as PG-13 ones if you ask me. There is only one F-word and some infrequent uses of s**t, d**n, and b***h. Good movie! Should have been PG-13
Teen, 15 years old Written byGrace1111 April 24, 2011

public enemies

I went to see this movie mostly becuase it was filmed were I live and becuase I really like Johnny Depp.I found that I really enjoyed the movie itself as well. I don't think it deserves and R rating, and should probably be PG-13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. March 5, 2011

Check out my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byalexander1997 January 17, 2011

great move for people with a strong gut

Its a great movie I watched it when I was 13 it has three iffy bits like it does say f**k once and there is a bit of kissing but the main point is the beat up part but if I was a parent I would talk to the kids before letting them watch it (and have your hand on the fast forward button on the remote around 1hour 7 mins this is about when the police beat up a lady)
Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonlackey January 15, 2011

al capone move over here comes john dillinger

old movie feel new movie style great its another scarface hands down and dont argue that point until you've seen it! action packed old school style.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAgentBartowski August 5, 2010

Great movie that accurately depicts Dillinger's final days

Public Enemies is a well-done film that acts not only as a biopic of John Dillinger's life, but as a gritty, shoot 'em up action movie. It has a large amount of violence in it, which is expected from this kind of movie, and it doesn't go over-the-top as some other gangster films do. Depp makes for a fascinating and charismatic Dillinger, though Bale's Melvin Purvis seems to be made of stone and his rough-as-sandpaper voice never allows the audience to see him as a human, flawed person that this film needed for an antagonist.
Kid, 9 years old July 9, 2010

Kid, 7 years old July 9, 2010

Adult Written by4Spice June 13, 2010

i really loved the movie one of my personal favorite so much action and shooting you'll love it jonny depp is really talented 14 and over for sex language and violence this movie it worth watching
Teen, 13 years old Written byDragynwulf March 16, 2010

The ending sucked.

This could have been a violent comedy because dillinger was emphasized as being infinitely smarter than the police. It is unrealistic that they kill him after he walks into thier office, asks the score of a baseball game on the radio, and they answer him without turning around.
Teen, 14 years old Written byninjaman15 March 7, 2010

Adult Written byYldnole January 28, 2010

Pretty good flick

Thought it was well done...Depp is always great...violence was no worse than the Bonnie and Clyde movie back in the 70's. Cast did a good job and I liked that the movie didn't glorify Dillinger...hs was a killer. A bit gory but it made a point of how terrible it is to live that lifestyle.Would let my 16 year old watch it ....it did follow the truth about 60-40.......
Parent Written byPlague January 7, 2010

Public Enemies

A great movie with lots of action. One of Depps best movies to date.