All member reviews for Puss in Boots

Swashbuckling adventure features irresistible warrior cat.

Parent Written by<3Troll November 7, 2011

OK, but not for kids

WOW: My review gets deleted when it was top of the list, thanks "Common Sense". Obviously, my review was the top for one reason, it made sense. I stand the same on my opinion, and have absolutely no clue as to why it would get removed, because me and obviously a lot of other people thought it was helpful. I am re-posting it again: ....................................................................... The name is perverted, and is meant to be. There's so much thrown in jokes about sex and stuff its overkill. They try and hide it in to keep it PG rated, but its completely apparent. Puss calls himself a lover all throughout the movie. I didnt let my kids see it after i saw it, and neither should you. Of coarse, (as i stated before) this is MY opnion. The movie is really aimed toward older people, but they make it animated so kids will want to see it. They party a lot. They drink a lot. Someone dies (i dont want to spoil who). I stand as i did before, iffy for 12.
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written bySmurfette2009 November 3, 2011

Too much sexual content

Took 8 year old and 2 year old to see. Kids loved but too much sexual content. My 8 year old liked the movie, but she didn't like all the kissing.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byNH_Seacoast_Family March 6, 2013

Revenge is not something to teach

This entire movie is about revenge and in my opinion is completely inappropriate for children. It shocked me and my family when it was revealed that the Egg's entire reason for being nice to Puss was to get back at him.
Kid, 6 years old July 11, 2012

Fun for adults, not appropriate for a 6 year old.

I wish I had read the commonsense synopsis and not just looked at the age it was recommended for before taking my child to see this. The "What Parents Need to Know" synopsis is dead on, which to me does not remotely add up to appropriate for a 6 year old. The violence, the sexual innuendo, suicide . . . not appropriate . .. and I'm not ready to explain to my 6 yr old what "I'm a lover" means, which was mentioned several times.
Adult Written bydanie3399 December 30, 2011

Suicide &amp; innuendos?

Parents should know that the movie begins with a one night stand. Puss is tip-toeing out of the room, when the feline wakes, he tries 3 times, but doesn't get her name correct. There are multiple innuendos that I just think they could leave out. There is a reference to catnip as if it is marijuana, I believe could have been left out. There are several bar scenes, however Puss only drinks milk. I think the overall message was wonderful. Puss was a wonderful positive role model, even under pressure he always wanted to do the right thing. He always respected his mother. Suicide of a major character?? No matter how heroic, that should not be in a film that some with take toddlers to see! All in all, I took my 10 year old to see it and was not real comfortable with all the innuendos &amp; scenes. See &lt;3Troll's review.
Parent Written bybklynmama December 12, 2011

Not Appropriate for young kids, Too poorly written for anyone older

I found the entire movie really awful. The characters were unlikable, there was much too adult sexual innuendo and far too much violence for small children, including the death of one of the characters. The fact that it's animated has many families taking their small children, but we saw many parents walk out including our friend with her 6 year old. I was embarrassed to have suggested it, but had assumed it was appropriate for the kids based the rating by Common Sense Media. But, reviews are subjective and I should have reviewed it myself first. Truthfully, I feel that it's just a bad movie. Inappropriate for young kids, poorly written and acted so that older kids won't enjoy it.
Parent Written byBreadbakerMD63 November 7, 2011

Suicide of a Major Character? Not Acceptable

(Spoiler alerts) I was appalled by the message that suicide is heroic, especially given the difficulties veterans are having reintegrating with American society and the high rate of suicide among them. Couldn't the filmmakers think of some other way to let Humpy Dumpty redeem himself? The message that fat people with Southern accents (Jack and Jill) are baddies was a depressing stereotype. Overall, the movie starts out fun and has a few charming moments but the plot soon starts to spin it wheels. I don't recommend it.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl October 28, 2011

Fun adventure flick with no crass humor

There was some mild innuendo, although much less than the Shrek movies. There wasn't a fart joke in the entire movie so that was refreshing. Several scenes set in bars, although Puss always drinks milk. A human shown drinking from a brown bottle and a champagne bottle features in an escape scene. A joke about Puss using catnip I wish they'd have cut. I could have done without the constant references to him being a lover but other than dancing and rubbing noses there's no romance in the movie. Many of the main characters start out as double-crossers but in the end they realize the importance of loyalty and redeem themselves. I wouldn't say the movie has a good message but it's more of a rollicking adventure (with adorable kitties!) than a morality play. Lots of dramatic tension and close escapes which may make very young ones anxious. Lots of cute cat touches in the animation. A good time and enjoyable for adults without making you squirm about the idea of your kid repeating a line later. Thankfully, Donkey doesn't make any cameos.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byGamecrafter November 16, 2011

Meh

The animation is good, as you'd expect, but frankly I think that's about all that's redeeming here. To me, it's another installment in a rather disappointing trend of today's "kids films" with plots and characters that are more suited for older audiences than kids. Puss in Boots is basically about betrayal, grudges, revenge, and greed. Wee! Just because you present the story in cute character form (kitties and Humpty Dumpty) doesn't automatically make your film 'for kids'. Mine laughed maybe 3 times during the whole thing, and were generally stressed the rest of the time because everyone's arguing and frowning the whole time. It just makes those films that manage to handle conflict with grace and equal parts fun (Finding Nemo, Lion King, Toy Story, etc) that much more cherished.
Kid, 8 years old November 7, 2011

Puss is AWESOME

It's a good movie with a couple of laughs. The result: This awesome movie that kids would want to see again.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byellamc November 6, 2011

Age 5 with some reservations.

We took two 5 year olds and they loved it, I think mostly for the animation. The storyline was a bit over their heads, but they still enjoyed the film. I felt some scenes were intense, but in questioning them , neither was afraid during or after the movie. There is one scene where a guard tells Puss to " shut up" (words we do not use at home) but anything else , like references to catnip and Puss being a " lover" were over their heads. The movie cats were enchanting to them and they thought Humpty was naughty, but they LOVED Puss and Soft Paws.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySherlock Boy October 29, 2011

Get On Board for the 3D Ride of Your Nine Lives!

A must-see in 3D; Otherwise, you won't know just how much fun you're missing! This is an extremely cute movie starring the famous feline from the Shrek series. No, this is not a "let's put the character in the movie and the rather-bland storyline will follow"; rather yes, this movie can stand-out on its own (the plot was that good and then some). You do not have to have seen any of the Shrek films to like this one. There is some action that might startle or scare little ones, most of it really well-coordinated, and there is one sad scene in the early-middle of the film that might make them cry (it's not really that sad, though). Overall, it's a happy, feel-good movie that will make the fur on the back of your neck stand-up and your spine tingle with glee and exitement. Puss makes a great role model as he always tries to do the right thing, Kitty Soft-Paws makes for a brave and resourceful female character, and Humpty learns to do what's right for the good of others. Throw-in some classic Dreamworks humor, some unexpected plot twists, fun characters, and talented voice-actors, put it all in 3D, and you have a movie that's worth it's weight in golden eggs. I paid about $15 to see this movie in 3D and every single cent was worth it. In fact, this is one of the best 3D movies I've ever seen, with a perfect ratio of depth to pop-out, all without too much queso (without being too cheezy). This is also one of the few movies that I would see again in 3D. It was that good.
Kid, 11 years old October 29, 2011

Give a laugh at Puss

I think it is good for kid my age, is funny but, has a kind of creepy scene when jack and jill shoot a guy off the hotel balcony. But I recommend this movie to all kids and give a laugh.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotally500 October 29, 2011

Puss In Boots rules

I love it just love it go see it
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew November 28, 2014

Bad kitty in hilarious but violent animated tale for the whole family

My rating:PG for violence,rude humor and thematic elements
Teen, 15 years old Written byWRESTLING246 October 5, 2014

Its cool but the Shrek movies are better

Puss Is Boots is a cool cat His movie is cool, He has the looks for women like Shawn Michaels from WWE formerly known as WWF and his friends are amazing, I loved the animation, I enjoyed the movie but I prefer Shrek more
Teen, 15 years old Written bygranth July 1, 2014

spin-off of the shrek movies

puss in boots is the origin of the famous shrek character
Parent Written byPhil4vs8Mom February 27, 2014

Be prepared to explain a few things....

I have avoided this movie because of its origin in the Shrek movies (which I have also avoided), but my son asked if we could get it from Netflix and, based on the Common Sense rating, I said okay. There was some adult humor that I wish could have been left out, such as Humpty hinting at what happens to eggs in prison, and Puss using catnip for his "glaucoma"; most of this went over my younger child's head, but my 10 year-old picked up on some of it and wanted it explained. The suicide didn't seem traumatic to my kids, and was palatable because the character sacrificed himself to save others. Overall it was fun, had some good music, great animation and voices, and some good themes about friendship and redemption.
Kid, 10 years old August 25, 2013

I LOVE IT!

Even my brother loves it and he is TWO!
Teen, 15 years old Written bySakrr27498 July 28, 2013

Great movie :D, not for really young children

I watched it with my sister, she's 5 and she liked it. But I think she didn't understand the plot completely. There a violence more than in other movies and there were some sexy stuff but I really enyoed it. It was hilarious and i reccomend it. :)