Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Puss in Boots

Swashbuckling adventure features irresistible warrior cat.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byNH_Seacoast_Family March 6, 2013

Revenge is not something to teach

This entire movie is about revenge and in my opinion is completely inappropriate for children. It shocked me and my family when it was revealed that the Egg's entire reason for being nice to Puss was to get back at him.

Adult Written bylovingparent123 December 19, 2011

don't listen to

@<3Troll, your username has 'troll' in it! Also, the name 'Puss In Boots' is not in any way perverted, and a little child would not think that anyway! I'm sure your review was deleted because it was irrational! This movie is a wonderful kids flick, with positive messages about loving your family- and the only 'sexual content' is two cats in love, but everyone falls in love! Puss also calls himself a 'lover', I know, you're right about that, but that isn't extremely bad!

Adult Written bybklynmama December 12, 2011

Not Appropriate for young kids, Too poorly written for anyone older

I found the entire movie really awful. The characters were unlikable, there was much too adult sexual innuendo and far too much violence for small children, including the death of one of the characters. The fact that it's animated has many families taking their small children, but we saw many parents walk out including our friend with her 6 year old. I was embarrassed to have suggested it, but had assumed it was appropriate for the kids based the rating by Common Sense Media. But, reviews are subjective and I should have reviewed it myself first. Truthfully, I feel that it's just a bad movie. Inappropriate for young kids, poorly written and acted so that older kids won't enjoy it.

Adult Written byHolly R. October 15, 2018

Inappropriate humor

It's inappropriate and all the humor that is actually funny is aimed at adults. There's a reference to marijuana usage by comparison to catnip and it's mindless. There's mild profanity heard in the background. And the sexual content is beyond what you would expect from a modern PG. Plus the story line is just stupid. You are better off watching Shrek than this spin off.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byElliott and Gwen April 28, 2016

i watched with a 3 year old and it was a great movie

It wasn't too scary for the 3 year old, but she probably didn't understand it. My 5 year old loved it. I wish there wasn't so much racy language and conversation but it went over their heads luckily.
Parent Written byPhil4vs8Mom February 27, 2014

Be prepared to explain a few things....

I have avoided this movie because of its origin in the Shrek movies (which I have also avoided), but my son asked if we could get it from Netflix and, based on the Common Sense rating, I said okay. There was some adult humor that I wish could have been left out, such as Humpty hinting at what happens to eggs in prison, and Puss using catnip for his "glaucoma"; most of this went over my younger child's head, but my 10 year-old picked up on some of it and wanted it explained. The suicide didn't seem traumatic to my kids, and was palatable because the character sacrificed himself to save others. Overall it was fun, had some good music, great animation and voices, and some good themes about friendship and redemption.
Adult Written byWill loves movies June 1, 2013

Pray for mercy.

Puss in Boots, the spin-off from the Shrek movies, is a great family movie. The positve messages are that of redemption, and that as Puss says: "it is never too late to do the right thing." The sexual content in the movie are as follows: in the beginning of the movie, it is strongly implied that Puss spent the night with a female cat as there are some empty milk bottles and fish bones. He also gets dressed and leaves. Puss and Kitty Softpaws do flirt and eventually kiss at the end. Not a lot of violence but it is a bit intense at the end. There is one scene in a bar with men drinking. If you like Shrek and was a big fan of Puss in Boots, then you are going to love this movie. Thanks for reading.

Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

give it a try see what you think

Its not really good like i thought it would be

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 11, 2012

I AM PUSS IN BOOTS!

I just used his main catchphrase for my review title.This movie cracked me up! I was a huge fan of the Shrek movie franchise,but this is even better yet! The CGI is unique!
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 3, 2012

HE'S BEEN A BAD KITTY!

No doubt, parents, your kids will want to see this movie. I really like it! The animation is amazing, the story is good, the humor is clever, and it is a great adaptation to the Shrek series! You may, though, want to discuss with your kids about the amount of peril in this movie. Other than that, it's a great movie for the whole family!

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byMattmchugh March 30, 2012

Better than I expected, with very little that's inappropriate

There's really nothing objectionable for any age in this movie. The constant chases and swordplay are so stylized that they hardly seems to qualify as "violence." And the handful of sexual innuendos are so sly and mild, there's nothing awkward you'll be asked to explain later. The one line you'll get asked about involves Puss explaining his stash of catnip as "It's for my glaucoma." Funny, but be prepared for questions from kids paying attention. Otherwise, you've got a decent adventure -- magnificently animated -- with a fair number of chuckles for all ages.
Adult Written byfcparent March 18, 2012

Mostly harmless

meh... it was ok. Cats sword fighting...cats drinking milk in a bar, cats pussyfooting around sexual themes, cat as Lothario, old rehashed jokes, slightly twisted retelling of old nursery rhymes. Aside from the catnip as a drug and milk as alcohol references, it didn't have anything too terrible for kids, but nothing particularly good, either. Overall, not bad for a rainy day movie with nothing else to do. Caution on the overt sexuality for kids under 9. Very young kids probably won't even notice it, (but it gets in there anyway).

Adult Written byPawferfurry February 7, 2012

I was disappointed...

I'm not going to lie, I was actually looking forward to seeing this movie, I'm a sucker for cats and this movie provides lots of them. I was quite disappointed with the plot, the movie seemed very rushed and I wasn't impressed with the characters. Then again, I wasn't in a fantastic environment when I saw it that probably made the move far more irritating than it was (Movie theater didn't have heating, and with a kids movie you have all the obnoxious children who begin talking when they get bored) but that aside, I think it's for some. I found myself lost at some parts, there are some mild jokes and words used that I wouldn't be concerned about younger children getting, although some children (13+) may get the references.

Adult Written byCrakr January 9, 2012

Puss is in Boots

I took my 6 year old, 4 year old and my 10 year old and they loved it!!!!

Adult Written byOneMomsOpinion January 9, 2012

Not for little ones

I took my 4 and 7 year old to see this. If I had it to do over again, I definitely wouldn't take my 4 yr old. Staying in line with the other "Shrek" franchise movies, there was plenty of rude humor and slight sexual innuendo. There were also several action scenes that were scary to my little one. My 7 year old enjoyed it.

Adult Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 2, 2012

Pussin Boots 2011

good tale about a bad kitty.

Adult Written bydanie3399 December 30, 2011

Suicide & innuendos?

Parents should know that the movie begins with a one night stand. Puss is tip-toeing out of the room, when the feline wakes, he tries 3 times, but doesn't get her name correct. There are multiple innuendos that I just think they could leave out. There is a reference to catnip as if it is marijuana, I believe could have been left out. There are several bar scenes, however Puss only drinks milk. I think the overall message was wonderful. Puss was a wonderful positive role model, even under pressure he always wanted to do the right thing. He always respected his mother. Suicide of a major character?? No matter how heroic, that should not be in a film that some with take toddlers to see! All in all, I took my 10 year old to see it and was not real comfortable with all the innuendos & scenes. See <3Troll's review.

Parent Written byheather s December 28, 2011

Enjoyable Family Movie

If you liked the Shrek series, you will love this movie. My four-year old loved Kitty Soft Paws and the action and dialog kept the adults entertained too. I liked that there was a strong female lead who didn't need the male to rescue her. There is a sad part at the end where a character dies, it's good to talk through what's real and what's fiction with your kid before you go to see this flick.

Adult Written byhgbasibgbhhsihu November 27, 2011

Puss in boots

Adult Written byLoneWolf-B November 27, 2011

Very Nice Family Movie :D

LOVED This Movie, Very Funny And Has Refreshingly Clean Humor. Sexual Implications Very Unnecessary Though. *SPOILER* The First Scene Where Puss Is seen Leaving A Female Cat's House Implies They Were Being More Than Just Intimate, Even The Fact That He Didnt Even Remember Her Name Kind Of suggest Promiscuity...I Dont Know Maybe Im Just Reading Too Much Into It. But Great Film !